Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jesse eisenberg pretty much single hsndedly ruined the movie for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Agreed.

When Bryan Cranston was rumored to be Lex I was ecstatic. Then we got mumbly mchee and his "I took a philosophy 101 class" weirdness and man just gently caress Snyder.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

The Last Jedi: People improbably surviving in the vacuum of space in scifi movies is a big pet peeve of mine, but this instance was made a thousand times worse by the fact that Leia had been out there for a while before somehow coming back to life and using Force magic to fly back to the ship.

Also, it pissed me off that they killed Snoke before we learned anything about him. He's the driving force behind all of the antagonists, and we don't know where he came from, how he started the First Order, and what his motivations are beyond generic evilness. There isn't even a throwaway line about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also, it pissed me off that they killed Snoke before we learned anything about him. He's the driving force behind all of the antagonists, and we don't know where he came from, how he started the First Order, and what his motivations are beyond generic evilness. There isn't even a throwaway line about it.

I feel like we learned about as much about Snoke in TLJ as we did about Palpatine in ROTJ. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Don't worry, i'm sure they have another set of prequels brewing for that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't worry, i'm sure they have another set of expanded universe novels brewing for that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't worry, i'm sure they have another set of prequels brewing for that.

Isn't that what the Rogue One style films are for?

Gordon Shumway posted:

The Last Jedi: People improbably surviving in the vacuum of space in scifi movies is a big pet peeve of mine, but this instance was made a thousand times worse by the fact that Leia had been out there for a while before somehow coming back to life and using Force magic to fly back to the ship.

The vacuum of space is a lot more survivable than you think for the length of time she was in it. Remember, vacuum is only one atmospheric pressure away from earth's atmosphere. It sounds like a lot, but compared to other things you could be exposed to it's really not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MeccaPrime posted:

That whole Kryptonite Spear sequence at the end bothered me in a different way. (ending spoilers) Why did Supes have to be the one who stabbed Ogre-Zod?? Wonder Woman was shown to have some pretty decent strength and fighting prowess; why couldn't Supes have tossed it to her and have her stab him with it? Isn't she an Amazonian or something? Aren't spears kinda their thing?? The whole "sacrifice" seemed unnecessary to me.

I like how it didn't occur to the ancient Greek hoplitesque armor wearing warrior with super strength that javelins are a thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slime posted:

Isn't that what the Rogue One style films are for?

The vacuum of space is a lot more survivable than you think for the length of time she was in it. Remember, vacuum is only one atmospheric pressure away from earth's atmosphere. It sounds like a lot, but compared to other things you could be exposed to it's really not.

yeah, there have been more than a few people exposed to vacuum who have survived. If you're far enough from a star you won't even cook to death that fast!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anything improbable happening in Star Wars can be attributed to The Force.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"The Force" is a very diplomatic way of saying "incoherent scripts"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Powaqoatse posted:

"The Force" is a very diplomatic way of saying "incoherent scripts"

"Incoherent scripts" is a very uncharitable way of saying "I don't like that 'a wizard did it' is a valid answer in this fictional universe". :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Besesoth posted:

"Incoherent scripts" is a very uncharitable way of saying "I don't like that 'a wizard did it' is a valid answer in this fictional universe". :colbert:

probably true: true

i might actually enjoy the movies if everyone shut the gently caress up about them so i wasnt at all times aware of every plotline, background character, and idk wtf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powaqoatse posted:

probably true: true

i might actually enjoy the movies if everyone shut the gently caress up about them so i wasnt at all times aware of every plotline, background character, and idk wtf

Lol (?) If you let a bunch of incoherent nerd rambling about what amounts to SW fanfiction ruin your enjoyment of a movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no i just dont watch them anymore

every time ive tried since 95ish theyve been disappointing or downright bad. back when episode 1 got hyped up, i watched the old ones through, and theyre alright.

theyre not fantastic, and theyre not entirely awful. theyre purely "just ok" to me, but thats 20 years ago so i got the idea that maybe if all the outside talk was gone, itd be possible to see the film in a vacuum. probably not though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Batman vs Superman: dawn of Justice spoilers

Inescapable Duck posted:

Much like the rest of the climax of the movie, it's so they can make Excalibur references.

I confess I was a slightly drunk watching it. But what the gently caress? I really don't recall excalibur poo poo beyond Luther's 'Angles.... are actually DEVILS' thing with the painting.

Marmaduke! posted:

Doesn't she have to go back and get it a few scenes later anyway?

Yeah she went back, but then she nearly drowns under some rubble. Superman has to stop fighting, abandon his team mates, and rescue her sorry rear end from yet another terrible decision.
Admittedly, the building falling on her wasn't her fault though. I'll give her that. But it's kind of insulting because it just makes her a damsel in distress and a victim of bad decisions. She's fairly competent before all that.

Oh well. I got my money's worth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powaqoatse posted:

no i just dont watch them anymore

every time ive tried since 95ish theyve been disappointing or downright bad. back when episode 1 got hyped up, i watched the old ones through, and theyre alright.

theyre not fantastic, and theyre not entirely awful. theyre purely "just ok" to me, but thats 20 years ago so i got the idea that maybe if all the outside talk was gone, itd be possible to see the film in a vacuum. probably not though.

If the film wasn't in a vacuum people wouldn't be grousing about it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Slime posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, she was out there while other scenes happened. Also, they show her effectively dead and frozen stiff, and she just somehow gets better. Maybe if she had immediately done the Force thing after getting sucked out, it would be less irritating. They made it seem like she had been out there a while and had already succumbed to vacuum.

Now I realize that this doesn't jive with the fact that the ship is flying full speed away to stay out of range, and she's still somehow right next to it so that she can fly back, but that's a different, slightly less irritating passage of time problem that the movie has.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slime posted:

Everyone seems to forget that the reason she's in space is a giant explosion. Which should have killed her straight up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People in Star Wars have something called The Force

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

People in Star Wars have something called The Force

It has limits! Anakin couldn't use it to prevent himself from being set on loving fire, for example.

If you just use the Force to make characters invincible, what's the point? Either kill a character off or don't, don't try to have it both ways by pulling some dumb Force bullshit out of your rear end. (I'm talking to the writers here, not you, Mu Zeta, you're cool)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Honestly the biggest bullshit of the movies is how they trot out Brienne of Tarth to all the press junkets and interviews. Bait and switch motherfuckers.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Agreed.

When Bryan Cranston was rumored to be Lex I was ecstatic. Then we got mumbly mchee and his "I took a philosophy 101 class" weirdness and man just gently caress Snyder.

I wonder if it was intentional that the senator whos holding the superman hearings is the only one who looks clearly aware that Lex is literally insane and justdoing the most hosed up poo poo. Every other character treats him with like forbearance and humoring him, even up to and including the ending. Shes the only one who immediately recognizes that this person is a major fucker.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slime posted:

No, it's really not. Oxygen starts to outgas from the blood in your lungs instantly, and as soon as that deoxygenated blood hits your brain it's lights out. On exposure to vacuum you've got, oh, maybe 15-20 seconds of consciousness and then you pass out and your brain starts to die. It's faster than drowning, and holding your breath is worse than useless.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Last Jedi: Space Bombers?? Why THE gently caress would you build spaceships that require GRAVITY to Attack other spaceships???

Also: One ship with a hyperdrive can 9/11 a whole fleet? Why has no one ever just strapped a hyperdrive to an asteroid? Seems much more efficient.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

blarzgh posted:

Last Jedi: Space Bombers?? Why THE gently caress would you build spaceships that require GRAVITY to Attack other spaceships???

Also: One ship with a hyperdrive can 9/11 a whole fleet? Why has no one ever just strapped a hyperdrive to an asteroid? Seems much more efficient.

A better question is why did those ships have tissue paper for armor?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
Putting Aquaman in your Justice League movie is going to hamper your plot because either A) the story takes place in the water...this lets the character shine but it will get more and more contrived the more you do it; or B) it doesn't take place in the water, in which case you have a bland superhero who's strong and sort-of invulnerable and that's kind of it.

Green Lantern makes more sense and is much more powerful but his movie flopped, so welp.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Back to Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice spear talk, I was disappointed that the retrieval of the spear didn't include Aquaman coming up from the depths to hand the spear to Lois. That would have been a cool character intro.

Justice League was marginally better IMO, but Steppenwolf paled in comparison to the JL trying to take down Clark. Cyborg telling the Flash "we're the accidents" was the most he got in terms of character development.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

A better question is why did those ships have tissue paper for armor?

Perhaps they disabled their shields when they knew the rebels couldn't fight back? The Empire/Last Order is known for being dumb. Much like everyone else in these movies

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

blarzgh posted:

well they don't necessarily require gravity. All they need is an armature to shove them down at a decent speed.

You can't shove a hyperdrive on an asteroid unless you also build in the computer that does all the calculations. HDs for a personal craft is the size of a cooler, a sedan for a crew ship and they just get bigger.
At least they've never shown to have elaborate remote control over a ship, for some reason.
I suppose you could stick a droid in there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

well they don't necessarily require gravity. All they need is an armature to shove them down at a decent speed.

You can't shove a hyperdrive on an asteroid unless you also build in the computer that does all the calculations. HDs for a personal craft is the size of a cooler, a sedan for a crew ship and they just get bigger.
At least they've never shown to have elaborate remote control over a ship, for some reason.
I suppose you could stick a droid in there.

It's from the old EU but http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_circuit

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

blarzgh posted:

The real answer is because George Lucas isn't very creative and never thought of it before.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've been reading too much of the Expanse series lately where things like thrust, distance, light delay, vacuum dynamics, etc. are taken pretty seriously so I went in extra critical but still, the first 45 minutes of that movie were garbage, but they were as bad as the last 2 hours were fantastic.

Oh, and another thing: what's the goddamn point of not telling Poe and everyone on board about the plan? To test them all and see which of the last handful of rebels in the universe would follow orders unquestioningly?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The original sin of the new Star Wars movies was JJ deciding he had to replicate the exact Empire/Rebellion dynamic of the first trilogy. Every other bad decision follows from that one. I think it would've been more interesting to have the next generation have to fight to defend the fledgling New Republic against Sith neo-Imperial terrorists but from basically the position the Empire was in in the first trilogy, and now the Imperial remnant/Sith are the scrappy dangerous underdogs. In that case it would've been more interesting to actually see the Luke/Kylo Ren relationship in the New Jedi Academy as it developed. The new movies as they are now deliberately wipe out and invalidate everything that happened in the old movies and I hate that.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Dec 25, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The EU deserved to die even if it means getting rid of some cool stuff.

Let go of the past. Kill it if you have to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Oh, and another thing: what's the goddamn point of not telling Poe and everyone on board about the plan? To test them all and see which of the last handful of rebels in the universe would follow orders unquestioningly?

We see from when they're introduced that Holden dislikes Poe. She's just doing it out of personal spite

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

blarzgh posted:

it might not be the best idea to tell everyone that your plan is to sneak away in cloaked, unshielded transport ships just in case you have a traitor on board.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Ravenfood posted:

it might not be the best idea to tell everyone that your plan is to sneak away in cloaked, unshielded transport ships just in case you have a traitor on board.

Or someone who's already shown an inability to follow orders and whose friends unwittingly bring such a traitor into the mix.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TLJ: That the code breaker they went to find wasn't Lando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

blarzgh posted:

Same thing with the long range plasma cannons firing in an arc. Space does not work that way :reject:

The lightspeed kamikaze was cool as gently caress, but just made you question why did they never do that to the Death Star, or why the empire doesn't just do that to blow up planets