Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm imagining Brown Moses working for lewdgamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And I'm imagining that as a scat fetish game protagonist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Looking at the screenshots I'm leaning heavily towards the latter, and I am definitely not investigating further than that.

Eh, that's why I'm not too sure, cause the screenshots seem pretty toned down compared to other stuff published by sakuragame and the vanillaware influence is pretty obvious considering that vanillaware has a lot of similarly-dressed/similarly-proportioned characters.

The Vagrant

Vanillaware games

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Looks like they are both creepy garbage that belong in this thread!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The recent-ish remake of Odin Sphere is easily one of the best 2D action games ever made

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vanillaware def love them some weird titties but overall their library is decent-to-very-good, especially Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
too bad no one can play it without looking like a huge creep

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The art assets look like they were ripped straight out of Dungeon Fighter Online.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Gynovore posted:

The art assets look like they were ripped straight out of Dungeon Fighter Online.

Absolutely. Then they proceeded to quadruple the resolution, doubled the number of animation frames, and finished it all off by redrawing and repainting them, switching from a pixel art style to a painterly one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Not really?

Like, DFO and Dragon's Crown are both sidescrolling beat em up rpgs, but that's about it. They both have a different art style, DFO is far less sexualized, Dragon's Crown has extreme body proportions on pretty much everybody while DFO has a more consistent style across its designs. I imagine they both draw inspiration from the Capcom Dungeons & Dragons beat em up rpg arcade games Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara.

Voyager I posted:

Looks like they are both creepy garbage that belong in this thread!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

too bad no one can play it without looking like a huge creep

I think you're both projecting a bit. It's okay to feel uncomfortable with a game because the game has T&A but a game having T&A in it hardly means the person who plays the game is a creep.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

As soon as I saw this I could hear the voice actors going ITS PAAAAAAYNE and then the sad violin music and the narration.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Rand alPaul posted:

As soon as I saw this I could hear the voice actors going ITS PAAAAAAYNE and then the sad violin music and the narration.

YAH! I will freely admit that when the game came out & was a new thing, I did have fun playing with it. Obviously the memory of it is better than the actual thing, however!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gynovore posted:

Of the many bad takes provided above, this one is the dumbest. Congratulations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Max Payne games are extremely loving good and have no place in this thread. Like, I'd say more than Half-Life or the GTA games, they're responsible for how AAA games have basically turned into movies, and that's because the Max Payne games were really, really, really loving good at it.

e: I guess in a technical sense they belong here because from what I gather they're janky on Win 10, but if there's any way around that beyond running a VM everyone owes it to themselves to play that series. The games aren't particularly long, and while they're on the hard side, they're fun as gently caress.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Max Payne games are extremely loving good and have no place in this thread. Like, I'd say more than Half-Life or the GTA games, they're responsible for how AAA games have basically turned into movies, and that's because the Max Payne games were really, really, really loving good at it.

e: I guess in a technical sense they belong here because from what I gather they're janky on Win 10, but if there's any way around that beyond running a VM everyone owes it to themselves to play that series. The games aren't particularly long, and while they're on the hard side, they're fun as gently caress.

I guess I will concede that Max Payne 3 is excellent & I did play that game for many an hour. I think what happened is that the new DOOM (Doom 4) came out & I bought it from Target & just forgot about that game

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FirstAidKite posted:

I think you're both projecting a bit. It's okay to feel uncomfortable with a game because the game has T&A but a game having T&A in it hardly means the person who plays the game is a creep.

lol ok buddy

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
A great Christmas day gift idea.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/738920/Sexy_Serial_Killer/

quote:

Story - Sexy Serial Killer story is loosely based on real life events.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

FirstAidKite posted:

All I said was that the game looked like creepy garbage from the screenshots, and that's the stance I'm going to take whenever the first thing a game advertises about itself to me is that all the characters have inflatable titties. This isn't incompatible with the idea that some of them could be good games despite their visual design that people play for non-creepy reasons - I'm just not going to assume so without a reason.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:shrug: I dunno what else to tell you. If you're that worried about looking like a creep for enjoying a video game, I think you're just too worried about what others will think about you.

Voyager I posted:

All I said was that the game looked like creepy garbage from the screenshots, and that's the stance I'm going to take whenever the first thing a game advertises about itself to me is that all the characters have inflatable titties. This isn't incompatible with the idea that some of them could be good games despite their visual design that people play for non-creepy reasons - I'm just not going to assume so without a reason.

I just figured vanillaware titles were well enough known by this point that people knew that there is far more going on to them than fanservice. The vanillaware screenshots I posted were meant as comparisons to the vagrant rather than trying to be representative of vanillaware titles in general.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I just figured vanillaware titles were well enough known by this point

never heard of em tbh

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

this is a safe space where we can judge and kinkshame to our heart's desire ok

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hexwren posted:

never heard of em tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7xgU_TL8Cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ZycHkb1Js

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

All I remember about vanillaware was that their response to a dude criticising their character designs was "lol you must be a fag". That's my vanillaware story, thanks for reading.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Perestroika posted:

All I remember about vanillaware was that their response to a dude criticising their character designs was "lol you must be a fag". That's my vanillaware story, thanks for reading.

Hey now

That's more or less what the artist for the game did but it was in the form of drawing 3 nearly-naked super-buff dwarves and sending it kotaku's way :v:

e: looked it up and apparently what happened was there was already a drawing the artist had made because he was taking requests for dragon's crown promotional artwork and he never got any for the dwarf so he drew this image

and then later responded to the kotaku article but he ran his response through a machine translator that made it sound more "lol gay" than it was meant to be.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 24, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If the game used that dwarf image in the marketing as much as they used the big titty witch, there would have been less complaints.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk about that, I feel like they'd still complain.

I'm more surprised that it was Dragon's Crown that ended up being targeted instead of something like Senran Kagura. I guess you just never know what will and what won't strike a nerve.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BTW, are those dwarves made of jelly?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm more surprised that it was Dragon's Crown that ended up being targeted instead of something like Senran Kagura. I guess you just never know what will and what won't strike a nerve.

I think it's because nobody disputes that Senran Kagura is horrible

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Games forum has a Senran Kagura thread.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think it's because nobody disputes that the Games forum is horrible

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best thing to come of this was how in Alan Wake there's a TV playing an in world interview with Sam Lake (the lead designer at Remedy and the guy they used for Max's face in MP1) and he's asked to "make the face." Which he then proceeds to do.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey now

That's more or less what the artist for the game did but it was in the form of drawing 3 nearly-naked super-buff dwarves and sending it kotaku's way :v:

e: looked it up and apparently what happened was there was already a drawing the artist had made because he was taking requests for dragon's crown promotional artwork and he never got any for the dwarf so he drew this image

and then later responded to the kotaku article but he ran his response through a machine translator that made it sound more "lol gay" than it was meant to be.

Dude at least post his actual text with it:

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, responding to a person complaining about how gratuitously sexualized the female characters in a game with "yeah well maybe naked dudes are more your style :jerkbag:" is bad optics no matter how you translate. At the very best it's still making the "oh so people complain about sexualized women but have no problem with beefy shirtless dudes, hypocrite much" argument which has been run into the ground and dissected decades ago.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
shut up

and Merry Christmas

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations. Recently I've played tons of:

7 days to die, xcom 2 with WOTC, Subnautica, Prey, Life is Strange. I also enjoyed Darkwood but didn't play it a ton. Played all the dark souls games.
also: hollow night, bought dead cells but haven't tried it yet.

Buying: Sunless sea + DLC, enter the gungeon, outlast 1 + dlc.

Anything else I should get?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tales from the Borderlands is $7 right now if you'd like something else in the Life is Strange vein

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

redreader posted:

7 days to die, xcom 2 with WOTC, Subnautica, Prey, Life is Strange. I also enjoyed Darkwood but didn't play it a ton. Played all the dark souls games.

are you looking for something in an anime tiddies vein, or more like bare unity assetflips?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

redreader posted:

this is not the steam thread

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Always buy Miner Ultra Adventures

Never buy anything else

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Get Doki Doki Literature Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Does Doki Doki Literature Club have more meta to it than the character who corrupts your game/computer/must be deleted? I thought it was cool especially for a free game but the ratio of stupid anime game to cool meta game was about 10:1 for me.

Kinda like Higurashi When They Cry which has a really cool storyline and compelling characters even but makes you sit through a ton of poo poo before it gets even vaguely interesting.