Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In other news, holy loving gently caress was Omega Men loving incredible, and I finally read my physical copy of Black Mirror I bought like literally a year ago. I was...sorta underwhelmed? James Gordon, Jr. is an incredible villain but the story doesn't really tie together into a complete whole (it's basically three different stories tied together with the constant throughline of James Jr. showing up repeatedly) and the art is really hit-or-miss.

Like, it's a fine story, but just fine, and people calling it a top five Batman story ever...I can't really see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

In other news, holy loving gently caress was Omega Men loving incredible, and I finally read my physical copy of Black Mirror I bought like literally a year ago. I was...sorta underwhelmed? James Gordon, Jr. is an incredible villain but the story doesn't really tie together into a complete whole (it's basically three different stories tied together with the constant throughline of James Jr. showing up repeatedly) and the art is really hit-or-miss.

Like, it's a fine story, but just fine, and people calling it a top five Batman story ever...I can't really see it.

Black glove is better I think but I also really loving loved JH Williams’ panel work in there. The art is amazing but those panels...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I think part of its reputation is just a fondness for DickBats.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dickbats without Damian misses like a good 60+% of what made Dickbats good in the first place.

And I'm talking as someone who thinks Dick + Damian is, period, the best Batman and Robin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One thing about Black Mirror was that it was a Dickbat story that felt like a Batman story so it gave it a great jarring feel.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

See that's kinda why I don't like it very much. I mean, not to harp on it, but it's basically the initial Dealer story, the Tiger Shark story, and a Joker fakeout story that's all loosely tied together with what James Jr. is doing, and the comic tries to say "Well actually James engineered all of it, so....yeah..." and it doesn't really land that effectively at all. And it has a Dick Grayson Batman who 1) doesn't ever interact with Damian and 2) doesn't really act like Dick Grayson's Batman, so it's this weird sort of dour tone on what could be a story that would've been punched up by Dick Grayson's attitude. It would've been especially effective considering how James makes a specific point about how he wanted to "ruin" Dick's Batman, but...Dick's Batman basically acts like Bruce for a lot of it, and the few times he's actually jokey and fun (mostly in his Red Robin interactions), that's when the comic is at its best.

Ironically, Black Mirror is at its best sorta like in Year One where it's a passable Batman story that's actually a really excellent Gordon story. I wish the comic had more Gordon and less Batman in it, to be honest, because all the Gordon parts are fuckin' incredible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Tom King, Batman and Dick, I thought Grayson was a lot of fun. It was Dick running around pretending to the outside world to be dead but he's really working for (while secretly trying to take down) an evil spy organization called Spyral.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

, chat thread.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just had an interesting dream that actually might make a cool story.

We open on a power plant in the middle of the night. Thing is running at full power. Next to the building, an elderly gentleman is being restrained to a wooden table that it's pointed towards a large ring a series of magnifying glasses pointing towards them. A plain-looking individual in a suit is trying to warn him that this is dangerous that isn't worth it. The elderly man yells back that he has never gotten anywhere in life playing things safe and that he is going to leave a mark in history and won't just be forgotten.

The power plant goes at full power. And the electricity funnel straight into the device. Lightning is crackling everywhere before stream shoots right at the old man. He's getting fried. In fear and worry, the plain looking man rushes towards them, without thinking. A stray bullet hits him right for the gut. we see a close-up of plain looking man's eye and can see electricity moving through his eyes even though nothing is still hitting him.

The power plant shuts down. The elderly man is nothing but a charred corpse. The plain looking man hands are crackling. He utters one word "why?"

We are whisked to a show. A red carpet show no. The announcer says these are the awards for the most powerful amps. She explains that amps are individuals capable of self generating electricity at massive levels and it become a form of celebrities since the first one became the world's first superhero. She goes into the movie deals, toilets, and general stardom that surrounds it.

She says that anyone would do anything for a chance at this Fame and Fortune.

We cut back to the plain-looking man crying over the dead body of the elderly man. We hear the reporter uttrr that anyone would do anything for this chance to make their Mark in history over the scene.

Fin

Obviously, that's just the outline, but I think with some fleshing out it could be a nice short story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I started reading Irredeemable/Incorruptible last night. I think it might be one of my favorite comics ever? Wish more people talked about it, this comic is incredible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wouldn't call them bad but they both have some little things that didn't sit well with me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's been a long, long time since I couldn't stop compulsively reading a comic but that's how it was for 20 issues straight of Irredeemable. I find the storytelling and meditations on what it means to be moral and how morality is shaped by circumstance as much as it is by some sort of biological imperative to be really compelling.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok read Head Lopper

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

Covok read Head Lopper

Is this related to my dream?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Covok posted:

Is this related to my dream?

No, I skip your dream posts because :cmon: it's just an awesome fantasy comic like the other two I suggested.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Don't get it twisted though Covok, not reading posts about dreams is just a general policy I have, I like you a lot. :shobon:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't get it twisted though Covok, not reading posts about dreams is just a general policy I have, I like you a lot. :shobon:

That's fair. Just curious if that was what the story was about.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Lightning Lord posted:

Merry Christmas!

No, I skip your dream posts because :cmon: it's just an awesome fantasy comic like the other two I suggested.

Merry DOOMas

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
No Lobo vs Santa Claus panels. For shame. For shame.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Covok read Delicious in Dungeon

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm looking to get into some Image/Vertigo stuff, how's Southern Bastards, East of West, or Saga? And what's the Vertigo series I should be looking at? I know GM's Doom Patrol isn't Vertigo, but it was sort of the progenitor of Vertigo as an imprint, and I'd like to read Vertigo stories that are at least as coherent (preferably moreso than that, especially early in Morrison's run when it's way more surreal) as that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm terrible at keeping up with comics so be warned that I probably haven't read an issue of these this entire year:

The first three volumes of Saga are pretty good but everyone else tells me it turns bad/loses its focus after that.

I really, really like Sex Criminals, despite only reading the first trade. Obviously NSFW series.

Chew gets very creative with its premise, mostly involving eating stuff, and it's already finished.

Elephantmen is a cool take on war veterans, racism, and genetic engineering all bundled into one thing and it seems it'll be finished in January.

Glory is an ultraviolent rollercoaster ride. I haven't read Prophet but I think they're connected?

Not everyone is into it, and many people suggest IDW's Dungeon & Dragons(Which is excellent) instead but I enjoyed what I've read of Rat Queens, it's pretty much a very raunchy tabletop session.

Daytripper is a short, personal story about the special days in the life of a man.

Y: The Last Man is a pretty interesting and surprisingly(For comics) sensible take on a gendercide.

Shade: The Changing Man is an absolute trippy ride, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 24, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I'm looking to get into some Image/Vertigo stuff, how's Southern Bastards, East of West, or Saga? And what's the Vertigo series I should be looking at? I know GM's Doom Patrol isn't Vertigo, but it was sort of the progenitor of Vertigo as an imprint, and I'd like to read Vertigo stories that are at least as coherent (preferably moreso than that, especially early in Morrison's run when it's way more surreal) as that.

I didn't love Southern Bastards or East of West, but Saga is one of my favorite comics of the last decade, to say nothing of one of the most universally popular and acclaimed titles. My other favorite recent Image series are Chew (all finished) and Sex Criminals (I'm behind, but I absolutely loved the first two volumes). Descender is sci-fi with some gorgeous art, and Deadly Class is an '80s period piece about a secret school for teen assassins, with all the teen angst and melodrama that go along with that. It is being adapted into a show in 2018.

I don't remember the last time I read any current Vertigo books, but the classics from Vertigo's '80s and '90s heyday include Swamp Thing (Moore), Sandman (Gaiman), Doom Patrol (Morrison), Animal Man (Morrison), Hellblazer (Delano, Ennis, Jenkins, Ellis, Azzarello, etc.), Preacher (Ennis), Transmetropolitan (Ellis), and Y the Last Man (Vaughan). My personal favorites also include Sandman Mystery Theatre ('40s crime-noir by Matt Wagner, Steven Seagle, and Guy Davis) and The Losers (an action movie on paper by Andy Diggle and Jock; actually made into a pretty fun action movie). Of all of those, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Hellblazer, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and Sandman Mystery Theatre have ties to the DC Universe. All the others stand completely on their own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only read the first two or three volumes of East of West but it seemed like a ton of style on top of absolutely zero substance to me.

Saga starts off really good. But I don't think the writer actually planned for it to be so successful or go on so long. I think somewhere around the sixth volume I realized that it had become just a series of bad things happening to the family, with no real clear goal or motivation or energy left in it. Having Marko punch Alana was such a terrible loving decision. I think I'd point to that as the point where there's no real point to read on afterwards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a question: is it a "thing" in America to go to the movies on Christmas Day? Cinemas (like most businesses) are closed on Christmas Day here where I am, but I've heard a lot about Christmas Day being an important day for movies. Is it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
East of west is good for a binge read but forewarning its gotten down to where like one issue comes out every 6 months and at this rate hickman will never finish it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've got a question: is it a "thing" in America to go to the movies on Christmas Day? Cinemas (like most businesses) are closed on Christmas Day here where I am, but I've heard a lot about Christmas Day being an important day for movies. Is it?

It's not really a Christian thing, but there is a very large non-Christian population in America. Jewish people have made it a tradition to go to the movies on Christmas day as well as to have Chinese food. I'm Catholic and I'm actually to be going for Chinese food with my family on Christmas but that's just cuz we don't feel like cooking. I don't know if Muslim, Shinto, Buddhist, and other religious groups in the country have made it a tradition to go to the movies like Jewish people have, but it's possible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, I'm a secular Jew from a secular Jewish family, and I always joke about "Jewish Christmas" being Chinese food and a movie. Last year I didn't get to do either, but I'm thinking tomorrow should involve The Shape of Water and some beef chow fun noodles, or possibly dim sum.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think ive only ever gone to the movies once way long ago on christmas but i mean unless you're practicing Christian and spending all day at church, except for family dinner its not that much different than any other day off

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The biggest difference is that most places in the U.S. are closed, so everyone tends to go to the movies and get Chinese food once they get fed up with hanging out with their families.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right. I'm in Ireland (more or less) so the cinemas are all closed on Christmas Day, and Boxing Day is when people go to see stuff. As I say, I recently learned that some movies actually get their premieres on Christmas Day in America and thought it was very strange.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This is the first year in a good number where I'm not going to the movies on Christmas with my dad and his family. A aunt is having a get together, so they're going to that and we'll go to the movies on the 26th. I'm atheist, but him and my step mother are devout Catholics

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The biggest difference is that most places in the U.S. are closed, so everyone tends to go to the movies and get Chinese food once they get fed up with hanging out with their families.
Yeah, this is very much why movies and Chinese food became a Jewish tradition on Christmas day in the first place. We're bored and the rest of the goddamn country is closed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chinese food is awesome though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know some families who do the full Christmas plus a movie.

Gifts in the morning, movie in the afternoon to get everyone out of the house while people cook, then dinner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I started reading Irredeemable/Incorruptible last night. I think it might be one of my favorite comics ever? Wish more people talked about it, this comic is incredible.

Yeah they're great. I give the slight edge to Incorruptible myself. I'd like to have seen it go on a little longer and think it had some story left to tell even though it realistically probably ended right when it should have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is your daily reminder that Santa Claus exist in the Marvel Universe and it's actually an extremely powerful magical figure. He's actually beyond omega level and one of the most dangerous life forms on Earth. The human people are actually very lucky that Santa uses his powers for benevolent causes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also God is real but he committed suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy Pantsgiving

site fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 25, 2017

• Locked thread