Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'd love to see you guys try one of Answer's "andalls". It's basically 3.5% fruit juice.

i'd rather midorka came back to educate us about tipping etiquette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

i'd rather midorka came back to educate us about tipping etiquette

3.5% duh, they just mentioned that.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Papa John Misty posted:

Would anyone be interested in case(s) of Plan Bee at cost? I need to shrink my cellar.

PM a list. Ill see anyone in my group is looking

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Papa John Misty posted:

Would anyone be interested in case(s) of Plan Bee at cost? I need to shrink my cellar.

PM me! I'm definitely interested in some.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I tipped someone $2 on a growler fill today and they handed it back to me dripping with beer so now my clothing and my car reek of stale beer and my growler is all sticky and crusty.

That's my story.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

3.5% duh, they just mentioned that.

Tipping based on ABV is a stunning idea that I'm willing to embrace

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Hauki posted:

I tipped someone $2 on a growler fill today and they handed it back to me dripping with beer so now my clothing and my car reek of stale beer and my growler is all sticky and crusty.

That's my story.

You obviously didnt tip enough

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha not quite. Also I don't get that place. The beer is... Not good.
I had a NEIPA that was sweet, like way too sweet. Why was it sweet? And a berliner with"fruit" that tasted like they just dumped in fruit punch koolaid.

danbanana posted:

I stopped by a couple months ago and found their NEIPAs a bunch of whatever and their attempt at a porter to be like Chocolate Rain level sweet, which was kind of impressive considering it was like 6%...

I was also there a couple weeks/a month after they opened since I live in Downers Grove and it's close so why not. Their saison was pretty bad, their NEIPA wasn't very good, the best thing I had there was their spicy chicken sandwich. I would not recommend anyone visit.

Edit - the Pseudo Sue in 4packs from Decorah though, that is a pretty tasty New Englandish IPA. I had one yesterday and I think I'll have another one tonight. I tried the 4packs that were brewed in Florida and it was like "yeah, this is a beer, I guess I'll drink the other 3 I've got" but these recent ones are like "Woah, that's a good beer, I think I'll shotgun another one"

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 21, 2017

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Beer Temple had Boon Vat 104 on tap and it was the most mineral-heavy thing I've ever had. It was almost gose-like with its hint of saltiness. Very weird, mostly still beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
all of those boon vat releases are super different and usually really good

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

Beer Temple had Boon Vat 104 on tap and it was the most mineral-heavy thing I've ever had. It was almost gose-like with its hint of saltiness. Very weird, mostly still beer.

Sounds delicious

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

all of those boon vat releases are super different and usually really good

109 is goddamn heaven. I did pass on the 4 pack mix today and will probably regret it later...

I liked 104 but I'm also glad it was only a 6 oz pour which I have rarely ever said about a lambic.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah 109 was absurdly good. Highlights the best of both worlds for gueuze and cognac.

Recently opened a Modern Times Fruitlands with passion fruit and guava, left me with an impression that it's a better Lilikoi Kepolo. Not like Lilikoi has harsh mouthfeel or anything, just found the carb a little smoother by comparison.

After having several pours of CBS this last week, this beer is definitive proof that subtlety is lost on newmoney babby palates who love pastry stouts. Not like CBS is subtle on the maple either! I say that since Pinthouse released Autobahn, this BA stout with all kinds of adjuncts that's getting hype reviews: blueberry, vanilla, maple syrup, coffee, and lacto... turns out it's more or less an attempt to clone Great Notion Double Stack and I couldn't even finish a a small pour. The Pinthouse beer was even sweeter, uuuggghhh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

And here I am thinking CBS is almost unbearably sweet!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Starting off the holiday drinking a little early - taste is a little heavy on the Citra side but otherwise standard decent haze.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Woodcock released their DDH galaxy XPA and this one and the juicy coming out of Thin Man have me rethinking the need to drive north east for beers

This one is good!!

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

And here I am thinking CBS is almost unbearably sweet!

Had it on draft Thursday, don't think I could have done more than the 8oz ish pour they gave me. Most of the pastry stouts are good for 5oz at most for me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

Had it on draft Thursday, don't think I could have done more than the 8oz ish pour they gave me. Most of the pastry stouts are good for 5oz at most for me.

I was out beer shopping for the holidays yesterday after dropping an amp off to be retubed and popped by angry chair for a crowler, turns out the place was packed due to a silent release of some nutty sweet stout called Krampus. It was like a low-rent version of rocky road, and after that 5oz I got bored of it so I see what you mean. Maybe I could slow sip on it for a while but I kinda feel like I could take a decent milk stout, french press a bunch of roasted nuts with it and get something similar.

Also whole foods northdale has a bunch of CBS for $24 a bottle. I'm not a huge fan of maple, so I didn't get any.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Don't buy CBS, instead get someone else to buy Weldwerks French Toast Stout and send it to you, because dear god that beer is out of this world good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
As the resident Founders Hater, I paid for a CBS pour ready to add to my cred and... It was fine! Definitely the best Backstage beer I've had and not nearly as sweet as I expected. Maybe the pastry stuff has skewed us but I found it relatively restrained. I also understand why it might have been revelatory in 2009. Good beer,though there's plenty of equal local stuff that exists now.

Also snagged a 4 pack of Bell's BA'd Cherry Stout because I think the shop I was at mispriced it at $16. I passed on it at Binny's when it was $9 more...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

danbanana posted:

Bell's BA'd Cherry Stout

FYI: This is definitely not the same beer they brought to FOBAB in 2012. Zero barrel, basically their regular-rear end Cherry Stout.

Not cool, Bells.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

FYI: This is definitely not the same beer they brought to FOBAB in 2012. Zero barrel, basically their regular-rear end Cherry Stout.

Not cool, Bells.

it's really bad.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

danbanana posted:

Not cool, Bells.

Hey, Larry? Could you barrel age Third Coast Old Ale again instead?

Sincerely,
Nth Doctor

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey, Larry? Could you barrel age Third Coast Old Ale again instead?

Sincerely,
Nth Doctor

If they did it like this, you'd be angry you even asked...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Old ales are so perfect for barrels

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
god BA old stock is a masterpiece...

speaking of masterpieces, opened my bottle of the wooden hell rebrew and dear god it was amazing...gently caress...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

speaking of masterpieces, opened my bottle of the wooden hell rebrew and dear god it was amazing...gently caress...

That's interesting. Time in the bottle might have helped it. I liked it fine when they released it.

If you're interested, they released a "Reserve" version this week that sat in barrels an extra few months. I'm not sure what it's trading for but I doubt it's much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Old ales are so perfect for barrels

Does founders ever put Curmudgeon into barrels?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

They do but I don’t think they bottle it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/77260/

It loving sucks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

danbanana posted:

If they did it like this, you'd be angry you even asked...

PS. Do it better than you did the BA Cherry Stout

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lame. It's a decent beer. Sucks that it doesn't turn something meh into something wonderful like BA dirty bastard.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nah, that beer was really good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

nah, that beer was really good.

Sweet and gross. In other words, a Backstage beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kaiser Curmudgeon (they changed the name when they distributed it) was fantastic on draft, and sucked out of a bottle. Was/is probably my favorite Founders beer, when I had it at the taproom.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

gross. In other words, just about every Founders beer.

ftfy

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Backwoods Bastard with a year on it is one of my favorite beers. Same with aged Expedition Stout... I don't think that's a contentious statement here though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

so I bought some of these beers from a brewery in Austria that was really good, but I have 2 questions. I think it’s unpasteurized...

1) are these safe to keep at room temp if they aren’t pasteurized? I’m in a hotel with a small minibar and not much room for them.

2) can these be safely transported in checked luggage back to the states? I traveled with glass and cans before, but never with the kind of top pictured-kind of a moot point if they aren’t safe to drink after being left at room temp though.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
There's a German brewery in Charlotte that supposed to keep their beer cold all the time.. grocery stores definitely don't.

I haven't traveled with beer but consensus seems to be just wrap it up as much as you can. I'd put it in a Ziploc or something too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

nwiniwn posted:

so I bought some of these beers from a brewery in Austria that was really good, but I have 2 questions. I think it’s unpasteurized...

1) are these safe to keep at room temp if they aren’t pasteurized? I’m in a hotel with a small minibar and not much room for them.

2) can these be safely transported in checked luggage back to the states? I traveled with glass and cans before, but never with the kind of top pictured-kind of a moot point if they aren’t safe to drink after being left at room temp though.

Beer is always safe to drink, forever. It might not taste good but it won't hurt you. Almost all craft beer and even some macro beer is unpasteurized.

Putting a flip top in a checked bag can be a little risky since it can be more easily accidentally opened than a can or regular bottle. I'd try to put some tape on there to keep it closed. I always put beer in a checked bag in a ziploc bag then put that in another ziploc bag in case it accidentally opens/breaks.