Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am a bit confused about one thing: I remember there was a panel a while ago where Ehrenreich said the audition process went over several months; surely if he's just a bad actor, someone would've noticed in that time? (I don't know exactly how casting like this works.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I was never going to see Solo to begin with. The whole premise is loving stupid. I don't want to have Han Solo's backstory explained to me. It will only cheapen the character.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheNewt posted:

Why not just fuckin shelve it then?

Probably because Sith Lord Kennedy doesn't want herself fired off this lucrative money train.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Bardeh posted:

So I was really expecting them to kill off or otherwise get rid of Leia because, well, y'know. Wouldn't that have been sensible rather than having to deal with Carrie Fisher's absence in the next movie? Also, I guess she must have been sick or tired, but her acting throughout the movie was really kinda wooden and bad.

Overall I thought the movie was pretty poor, but I loved the blood-red salt flats imagery.

imo the only dignified way to deal with Leia is to open ep ix with her heart exploding from a massive overdose of space coke

edit: and then it dawns on the rebels why she keeps bringing them to planets covered with white powder

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am a bit confused about one thing: I remember there was a panel a while ago where Ehrenreich said the audition process went over several months; surely if he's just a bad actor, someone would've noticed in that time? (I don't know exactly how casting like this works.)

A good actor can give a bad performance, given bad direction and/or bad writing

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I did a ranking of the Wars recently bc I haven't done one since in the Disney era and I left a placeholder at the bottom for Solo. A Solo "origin story" has to get him to the point where he's kind of an amoral greaseball but that doesn't make for profitable movies. He will end up doing something heroic and have a heart of gold but that's basically his arc in Star Wars. The RLM plot predictions video is going to be 95 accurate and who cares.

The joke has been made before but it should open with him falling into Starkiller Hole, freeze, record scratch, "yep that's me" etc

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just do a whole-hog recut and CG wallpapering of the Young Indiana Jones show.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm one of those weirdos that dug The Last Jedi, but I can't for the life of me get interested in Solo in any way, shape, or form. And considering that it feels like the majority of moviegoing audiences are of a very different opinion on TLJ, I can see franchise fatigue being a very big problem come May. Rogue One at least had everyone coming off of the high of The Force Awakens to generate buzz, irregardless of the quality of the film itself.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

I did a ranking of the Wars recently bc I haven't done one since in the Disney era and I left a placeholder at the bottom for Solo. A Solo "origin story" has to get him to the point where he's kind of an amoral greaseball but that doesn't make for profitable movies. He will end up doing something heroic and have a heart of gold but that's basically his arc in Star Wars. The RLM plot predictions video is going to be 95 accurate and who cares.

The joke has been made before but it should open with him falling into Starkiller Hole, freeze, record scratch, "yep that's me" etc

He's going to do the heart of gold arc and then get burned, probably by Emilia Clarke's love interest character, and vow to never again look out for anyone else. Which I think would be the exact story of that 90s EU Han Solo origin trilogy but with fewer telepathic rhinoceroses.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 25, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Thundercracker posted:

Man. I gotta say this is some reaching for silver lining. I think 2017 has shown definitely that massive reshoots is a hugely bad sign, and dropping the original directors and Frankensteining together a movie is worse.

There's actually less Frankensteining since they decided to reshoot so much of it. If it was 50/50 between the directors, then I think you'd see the seams. Ron Howard is essentially redoing the whole thing and sticking to the script this time around. And this is not "We need to change things up and reshoot this because the script doesn't work." it's "Man they really did not follow the script with all this improv and wackiness, we need to start over..."

As a reminder, one of the reports were that Lord and Miller were making Han into Ace Ventura-type character.

All the TLJ complaints about the humor would surely go over just as well if that was the case.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 25, 2017

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Calling Ehrenreich a bad actor that needs a dialogue coach seems a bit on the nose given his excellent performance in Hail Caesar! .

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I mean, this is an obvious hit piece on an actor that's already shown to be good and charming.
But it's honestly what he deserves for being a snitch in the first place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just got back from TLJ and it was Not Good, but not in a way that has anything to do with star wars. Bloated, disorganised, occasionally verging on incoherent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Teek posted:

There's actually less Frankensteining since they decided to reshoot so much of it. If it was 50/50 between the directors, then I think you'd see the seams. Ron Howard is essentially redoing the whole thing and sticking to the script this time around. And this is not "We need to change things up and reshoot this because the script doesn't work." it's "Man they really did not follow the script with all this improv and wackiness, we need to start over..."

As a reminder, one of the reports were that Lord and Miller were making Han into Ace Ventura-type character.

All the TLJ complaints about the humor would surely go over just as well if that was the case.
Lord and Miller understand comedy tho.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alden_Ehrenreich

For a dude who can't act he sure was nominated for acting awards. One thing I'm not looking forward to is the assassinations Disney is going to lay blame on for their failures.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Vintersorg posted:

Lord and Miller understand comedy tho.

The question to that, would be whether they understand comedy that works for Star Wars. It sounded like they were doing some very non-standard Star Wars comedy with an existing character.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If comedy for Star Wars is defined as what was in TLJ it’s even more of a loss.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Disney is damage controlling hard. They already practically slandered Lord and Miller, and now they’re going after their star.

Easier to foist blame others than for the producers to take responsibility. They should’ve known what they were getting into when they chose the 21 Jump Street guys.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
When I think Han Solo, I think a 21 Jump Street type of humor.

That was a dumb hire for that movie in the first place. Like I don’t know what in their career made Disney think they were a good choice for a ‘Han Solo origin movie’.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mecha Gojira posted:

Disney is damage controlling hard. They already practically slandered Lord and Miller, and now they’re going after their star.

Easier to foist blame others than for the producers to take responsibility. They should’ve known what they were getting into when they chose the 21 Jump Street guys.

It'll be a huge lol if new Star Wars turns out to be the graveyard of director careers.

At least Lucas will be vindicated. He at least made some good Star Wars, even if by accident.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Thundercracker posted:

It'll be a huge lol if new Star Wars turns out to be the graveyard of director careers.

At least Lucas will be vindicated. He at least made some good Star Wars, even if by accident.

I think it's already happening. They weren't as open about it, but they brought in another director to reshoot parts of Rogue One. I wouldn't be surprised that's what soured Gareth Edwards on working on another blockbuster, since he dropped out of Legendary's Godzilla sequel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How did Rey get onto the Falcon? What happened to Benicio del Toro's character? Why was the Falcon able to get away at the end where none of the other ships were? It's never totally incoherent but there are rough seams.

There's a 40 minute B plot that goes nowhere, the ship chase that's supposed to be driving the plot* is long and boring and only holds together because characters withhold information from each other for no reason, Rey and Luke together probably only get 50 minutes of screen time, and on it goes. It's the longest movie in the Star Wars franchise and probably has the most subplots and least screen time for its top billed actors. It has three endings. The opening sequence is a secondary character waking up and wandering around in a hospital gown wondering what's going on. (Or is that the second opening scene?) Luke sacrifices himself nobly, only for the audience to discover it's a fake-out, but then Luke dies anyway.

It is bloated and disorganized.

They managed to take a movie with an extremely simple basic plot, even simpler than Empire, and make it into the longest movie in the franchise with less actually happening than Empire.

We start with the rebels running away from the New Order. We end with the rebels running away from the New Order. The only things that really change between the opening five minutes of the movie and the end is by the end they lost a cruiser and some smaller ships, Luke has died of plot reasons, and Snoke is dead. (Who cares about that though?)

And somehow they got a 155 minute movie out of this. How? Lots of characters spinning their wheels and going nowhere.

Let's count the sequences where the heroes accomplish nothing:

1. Finn and Rose sideplot accomplishes nothing, Benicio del Toro disappears for extra comedy. The only tangible thing to come out of that whole B plot is that a slave kid gets a decoder ring.

2. Beginning space battle accomplishes nothing; the Rebel cruiser is put in exactly the same jeopardy five minutes later.

3. Speeder battle on the salt flat: the New Order achieve their objective, nothing is accomplished.

4. Poe Dameron's mutiny accomplishes nothing.

5. Killing Snoke accomplishes nothing. This one might be more surprising, but if you think about it, nothing changes for the overall plot once Snoke is dead. The New Order carries on exactly as before. This shouldn't be surprising since Snoke is a non-entity with about 20 minutes of screen time across two movies.

You could even argue that Luke would have been unnecessary to the story if the rebels had bothered to check the caves for an outlet that wasn't on the schematic before the laser blew open the door.

And did Rey even learn anything on Luke's island? The whole thing is sloppy.

*The cruiser chase is especially ridiculous because apparently every badguy ship forgot they have hyperspace engines.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never mind.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you think about it the whole series was unnecessary because everyone would have eventually died of old age anyway.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Star Wars needs every minutiae to be shown. How did the porgs get on the Falcon?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh I forgot Captain Phasma in my little list. She's dead now! I'm sure that will be a big deal.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Remember when they had a scene of Luke chewie and Han outside the millennium falcon and then there was another scene of all of them inside the millennium falcon and there was no scene to explain how they managed to get inside?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mukulu posted:

Star Wars needs every minutiae to be shown. How did the porgs get on the Falcon?

In the old times, I would be able to read about it in an EU novel :argh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wish I had a clip of the middle third of A New Hope but I don't.

Just imagine I showed you that.

That's the minor detail of how Rey gets off of Snoke's flagship.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Arglebargle III posted:

That was explained, aloud, by Kylo Ren right after she escaped.

Maybe it didn't satisfy you, but you were literally told by the movie how she got off the ship.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Perhaps a visual medium should tell stories visually. :thunk:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

What you're thinking of is actually how Luke, Han, Chewie, Artoo, and Threepio infiltrate the Death Star and escape with Leia.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This movie is completely different from proper Star Wars. In this movie the Republic is struggling for even a no-win tie, the force-user goes and trains under a reluctant recluse then rushes off early to fight the big bad in a battle she can't win, the others go off to get help in a flashy city from someone who winds up betraying them, and the whole end note is "well this sucks, what do we do now?" Meanwhile in a classic like Empire Strikes Back they... wait...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Milky Moor posted:

Perhaps a visual medium should tell stories visually. :thunk:

We’re shown Rey on the ship and, later, off the ship, demonstrating for us that she found a way off the ship. Since Kylo wakes up and she’s not visible, we can conclude that she fled without his knowledge. The ship he wakes up on is a half-shredded wreck, implying that the security and order that would have normally blocked Rey’s escape was then hampered. Later still we see that she’s taken the broken saber with her.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Blow that piece of junk
OUTTA THE SKY !

Adam Driver rules. That line delivery was amazing. I bet the guy drinks two litres of milk everyday, easy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
If they’re going to kill off all the old rickety characters why can’t they kill R2, Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon? Kill the past only applies to humans?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Penpal posted:

I bet the guy drinks two litres of milk everyday, easy.

I just laughed at this for like a minute straight. Sounds like something Adam Devine would say about someone on Workaholics

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TildeATH posted:

If they’re going to kill off all the old rickety characters why can’t they kill R2, Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon? Kill the past only applies to humans?

R2, Chewie, Falcon = easily marketable.

Characters with likenesses of old famous people etc. = less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Seriously if Kyle Ren stabbed the Falcon in the heart, that would be brave.

Keeping the autocorrect to Kyle.

• Locked thread