Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Psychobabble! posted:

The reason you're not having success getting older dogs to play with him is because puppies are super annoying to most adult dogs(imagine a toddler coming up to you and repeatedly punching you thinking it's playing).

Look into a positive reinforcement based puppy socialization/training class asap. A good one will be a mix of supervised play, training, and teaching you how to overcome common problems like you're having. A great one also teaches you how to recognize the signs of good play vs when your puppy is being an rear end in a top hat(or afraid) and need to end play. Try to find something that isn't petco/smart if you can, but if that's all that's in your area, they at least still are positive reinforcement based. If you're comfortable sharing your city(or the next closest big city to you if you're rural), we could probably recommend somewhere.

As for your hosted events, for any that involve kids, I would crate him until he is more trustworthy. For ones that are adult only, tether him somewhere you can see and enforce similar rules to what you have now: he nips, interactions end and the person walks away and doesn't interact with him anymore. Have you been working on his training at all? What I did when I was training my puppy(who luckily wasn't a nipper but a jumper)was give people wanting to greet her a treat and had them lure her into a sit first, then treat and pet, and move out of range of the tether. You could try that too for more polite interactions.

i’d do a class in a second, but there are none here. closest big city is great falls, mt. missoula, mt would be pretty far, but worth it if quality of instruction is better (it’s probably better).

i’ve been doing a little training. he will sit on command, even if he’s chewing the sofa he will sit. he is good on a leash, he doesn’t try to pull and will generally stay behind me. sometimes beside. i’ve tried “down” with treats from the sitting position, but he just stands up and lowers his head to get the treat. other training... not totally housetrained, he’ll still go indoors if i’m not watching, but that’s ok, i need to pay more attention. he loves fetch. enjoys the crate well enough. that’s about all the training i’ve done in a few weeks. good ideas with the guest interactions, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: poo poo, this is the new-dog-owners thread, sorry. Will find the correct thread.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 23, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My dog still acts like a puppy and is super friendly and wants to meet and play with every other dog. Shares toys and stuff no problem.

Irt never unsupervised my friend said it'd be fine to leave them alone together when I go to work.....bad idea? We leave my pup uncrated and let her run around the condo and balcony while we're gone at work and she's 100% ok. Should we keep them in separate rooms

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve got a Christmas present for all of you. Stay tuned...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yay, fuckface is back!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Waroduce posted:

My dog still acts like a puppy and is super friendly and wants to meet and play with every other dog. Shares toys and stuff no problem.

Irt never unsupervised my friend said it'd be fine to leave them alone together when I go to work.....bad idea? We leave my pup uncrated and let her run around the condo and balcony while we're gone at work and she's 100% ok. Should we keep them in separate rooms

Yeah. The downside of a dog fight isn't worth the risk.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Engineer Lenk posted:

Yeah. The downside of a dog fight isn't worth the risk.

not an emptyquote. coworker had to put a dog to sleep over this a few weeks ago. dont leave dogs together alone that arent part of a pack please.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

National Lampoon’s Fuckface Vacation

The big bastard is back and here to destroy my new house! Yaaay!

“But Burd, he’s three now. Surely he’s mellowed out.”

No one told him apparently. He’s been playing with the bagel for about 12 hours straight. Said bagel’s patience ran out in about 20 minutes and she is now actively trying to kill Fuckface. Good dog.

Longtime fans of my misery will be happy to know that the rear end in a top hat still retains his best traits. Namely pissing on the floor in the middle of a dinner party (our fault, still blaming him) and his bravery of trying to fit a 60ish pound husky carcass in places that it has no business being in by the laws of physics and common decency (like under a couch or on top of dinner guests).

This will be a fun week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

why do you have that stupid dog again?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In-laws are visiting for Christmas :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

In-laws are visiting for Christmas :v:

give your dog a knife.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll give her my 38, she’s smart enough to figure it out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If the dog is loving your house up you’re well within your rights to tell them it can’t stay there. It’s your house.

Stop inviting misery into your home.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Warbird, for the love of god, take care of yourself and your home. If you must have Fuckface, then treat yourself to something real special for putting up with the world's worst husky.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
like a dog roast.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

If the dog is loving your house up you’re well within your rights to tell them it can’t stay there. It’s your house.

Stop inviting misery into your home.

And stop getting material to bitch about? Surely you jest.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you are a masochist i guess. id just be like dont bring your poo poo dog dude.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fuckface is a doofus of a dog and a massive pain in my rear end. That being said, he loves me more than anyone else in the world, even more than his owner. I’m fairly certain I could hit him in the face with a bat and he’d treat it as an act of playing. He has a certain quality of “I love you and everything about you” that I typically associate with labs. He’s the bane of my existence and I love the piece of poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
He probably loves you because you're the only human he interacts with regularly that knows how to interact with dogs.

My dog does terribly with people that try to baby-talk him, but the ones that walk into the room, stare him in the face, and give him an order? He's much more comfortable around that kind of person. He knows how the hierarchy works with them: they're on top, he's on the bottom. Much less stressful.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I get what you’re laying down, but his owner does a good job with him. He’s actually pretty well behaved now, pudding twice on my floor aside (both on us). I’m for sure the only one that fights/wrestles with him though. Lord knows the bagel has a completely different disposition.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a puppy and am hoping to get some advice on how best to go about disciplining him.

I guess I should say, he's basically been really, really good at taking instruction. He's great on the leash, he's happy with his crate, he signals when he wants to go out and he sits on command (unless he's super excited). He's about ten weeks old now, and is growing like a weed -- he's a German Shepherd and unknown mix, possibly a Lab or a Husky. He's expected to get decently-sized, but for at least the next year and probably more he's gonna have to be an apartment dog.

As I said, he's taken to housebreaking and basic stuff really well. But I'm dealing with his biting -- and not just his biting, but he likes to play aggression as well, so he growls and lunges and stuff like that. I don't mind it to a point, but I am trying to teach him not to bite at people or clothes, and to chew his toys. He largely seems to have taken to this well, but the past couple nights we've had some pretty serious fights. I don't spank or strike him, as I understand that isn't the best way of disciplining him. When he starts to get too aggressive, or starts biting too seriously, or trying to otherwise be unruly, how should I keep control of him in a way that is constructive, not traumatic? I'd been advised to sort of pinch around the fat of his shoulder, to emulate a mother dog's disciplinary bite, and when he gets out of control I've tried to just hold him down until he calms down, which has had...mixed results?

So, if I'm dealing with signs of aggression or viciousness, what is the best way to deal with these? How should I discipline my puppy?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Some things that I've read: stop play immediately. Take away attention and fun if he bites. Try yelping when he bites, to signal pain - he should be able to understand that.

I haven't personally tried these as (thank goodness!) my pup doesn't have that problem, but they're the most frequently recommended in what I've seen on the internet.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I have a puppy and am hoping to get some advice on how best to go about disciplining him.

I guess I should say, he's basically been really, really good at taking instruction. He's great on the leash, he's happy with his crate, he signals when he wants to go out and he sits on command (unless he's super excited). He's about ten weeks old now, and is growing like a weed -- he's a German Shepherd and unknown mix, possibly a Lab or a Husky. He's expected to get decently-sized, but for at least the next year and probably more he's gonna have to be an apartment dog.

As I said, he's taken to housebreaking and basic stuff really well. But I'm dealing with his biting -- and not just his biting, but he likes to play aggression as well, so he growls and lunges and stuff like that. I don't mind it to a point, but I am trying to teach him not to bite at people or clothes, and to chew his toys. He largely seems to have taken to this well, but the past couple nights we've had some pretty serious fights. I don't spank or strike him, as I understand that isn't the best way of disciplining him. When he starts to get too aggressive, or starts biting too seriously, or trying to otherwise be unruly, how should I keep control of him in a way that is constructive, not traumatic? I'd been advised to sort of pinch around the fat of his shoulder, to emulate a mother dog's disciplinary bite, and when he gets out of control I've tried to just hold him down until he calms down, which has had...mixed results?

So, if I'm dealing with signs of aggression or viciousness, what is the best way to deal with these? How should I discipline my puppy?

Stand up, turn your back on him and stop playing immediately. He should figure out pretty quickly that the fun stops when he’s misbehaving. Get this worked out now while he’s still small. Also don’t hold him down. That alpha dog stuff is bullshit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Stand up, turn your back on him and stop playing immediately. He should figure out pretty quickly that the fun stops when he’s misbehaving. Get this worked out now while he’s still small. Also don’t hold him down. That alpha dog stuff is bullshit.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some things that I've read: stop play immediately. Take away attention and fun if he bites. Try yelping when he bites, to signal pain - he should be able to understand that.

I haven't personally tried these as (thank goodness!) my pup doesn't have that problem, but they're the most frequently recommended in what I've seen on the internet.

Perfect, thank you.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Found a poor injured pup earlier today. Her front paw was all cut up. Like the equivalent of her pinky finger was separated from her soft flesh running below the nail, and a pretty gnarly scrape on her wrist. Not immediately life threatening, but an alarming amount of blood initially. Took the poor filthy, neglected critter to the spca to get her all patched up. Hopefully I'll be able to adopt her. She had no chip, so I'll have to wait 3 days to see if anyone goes looking for her. I doubt it'll happen given how absolutely filthy she was. She needs to be spayed and tested for horribly parasites and maladies. I'm hoping that in a weekish I'll have a new-to-me pupper-doodle in my life. She's a Malinois apparently, something I've never heard of. But my research indicates that they're highly intelligent and very trainable. I haven't had a dog in a very long while (16+ years). That makes me a novice, but I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort to train her and show her some much needed love. Getting myself ready to adopt her, or a different dog very soon. What books do y'all recommend for training? She seemed to have a good temperament, but I'm not sure how much of that was just her being in agony from getting hurt.

Edit: went back and reperused the OP. Gonna check out the training thread as well, but I'm still open to suggestions.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 11, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Good luck with the pupper. Malinios are challenging dogs from what I understand, but also the SPCA could be guessing at the breed.

Can someone reassure me my puppy is going to listen to me again someday? She is 7 months and we are in our second round of puppy class. Suddenly she doesn't even sit for me any more. The regression phase is real, right? Tell me it goes away!

The jerk in question, saving up energy to chew on socks and gloves:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

HungryMedusa posted:

Can someone reassure me my puppy is going to listen to me again someday? She is 7 months and we are in our second round of puppy class. Suddenly she doesn't even sit for me any more. The regression phase is real, right? Tell me it goes away!

Its an adolescent phase that most young dogs go through. Mine was right around that age when he stopped listening to commands. It eventually all came back but just keep up with the training and stay consistent and positively reinforce the behavior you want.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Verman posted:

Its an adolescent phase that most young dogs go through. Mine was right around that age when he stopped listening to commands. It eventually all came back but just keep up with the training and stay consistent and positively reinforce the behavior you want.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's hard, but after yesterday (where I almost started crying after puppy class) I made sure to do a little training session at the end of the night just to re-set. I also made sure to cuddle her really good before bed. I don't remember my other dog being so frustrating at this age, but that was 10 years ago and she is more dopey and chill.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dumb small dog likes wearing clothes.

She's not really that small, she's 25lbs. That's usually considered medium sized. I adopted her in August and she's generally a nervous creature.

I got her a little jacket to wear on walks. She was starting to get a little shivery on walks when the temperature was in the 40s. Then one day I didn't take it off at the same time I took off her harness. I tried to take it off later and she had a tiny fit. She flipped upside down and whined like I was murdering her. So I let her wear it around the house.

Then I impulse purchased her a Thundershirt. She seems to love the poo poo out of it. I'm worried about leaving it on her for too long. I can't really tell if the Thundershirt calms her down at all but maybe it does? She doesn't want me to take it off of her either.

I know I need to check her for hot spots under the Thundershirt so I do that. A Thundershirt can be worn for a while but I'm not sure how long. I figure a couple of hours is definitely fine, a couple of days is probably fine, but when should I take it off and leave it off of my nervous weirdo? I figure I'll wash it when it smells bad but do I put it back on her?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So my pup is growing like a weed, he's just past his three-month birthday and I've got him scheduled for his next round of shots. Is it fairly normal for him to be still nipping and snapping? Some days he seems better than others -- I'm going to start taking him for longer and longer walks once he gets his shots done and is safe to do so, so I assume most of it is excess energy since he has to hang out in his crate while I"m at work.

He has, however, proven an annoying habit -- he'd always been pretty good about wanting to go out to pee and poop, but today he not only pooped in the house, he also peed in the house, and he didn't do any of his usual "i want to go out" stuff. He's a quiet dog overall and largely only barks in play or to complain about something (usually me telling him no, he can't chew on the carpet). He almost never whines or barks to go out, and if I don't notice him going and sitting by the door, he's liable to have an accident. What can I do to encourage him to more actively request to be taken outside?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So my pup is growing like a weed, he's just past his three-month birthday and I've got him scheduled for his next round of shots. Is it fairly normal for him to be still nipping and snapping? Some days he seems better than others -- I'm going to start taking him for longer and longer walks once he gets his shots done and is safe to do so, so I assume most of it is excess energy since he has to hang out in his crate while I"m at work.

He has, however, proven an annoying habit -- he'd always been pretty good about wanting to go out to pee and poop, but today he not only pooped in the house, he also peed in the house, and he didn't do any of his usual "i want to go out" stuff. He's a quiet dog overall and largely only barks in play or to complain about something (usually me telling him no, he can't chew on the carpet). He almost never whines or barks to go out, and if I don't notice him going and sitting by the door, he's liable to have an accident. What can I do to encourage him to more actively request to be taken outside?

in my opinion, rewards should be proportional to how important a task is. if him making a fuss to go out and do his business is of utmost important to you (and i think we all would agree it is an important thing for a pup to learn), reward it proportionally more than you would other things.

also, your dog is 3 months old. that was about when the "terrible twos" stage started with my pup, which (maybe coincidentally) was the same time his teeth started coming in and he was in pain/discomfort.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is it fairly normal for him to be still nipping and snapping?

Your dog is still very much an adolescent and this is perfectly normal. When they use their mouth to nip and bite things, just substitute it with a toy that they are allowed to play with. If they continue to nip you, remove yourself and take away the attention. They're trying to figure out what their boundaries are, what everything tastes like and why everything is made of a different texture.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He almost never whines or barks to go out, and if I don't notice him going and sitting by the door, he's liable to have an accident. What can I do to encourage him to more actively request to be taken outside?

While he's likely mostly potty trained, they can still relapse from time to time. Being on a strict feeding/sleeping/poop & pee schedule can make it easier to know approximately when your dog needs to go. Eating the same amount every day, at the same time can make it easier to know when they should probably go outside. But he is still very young and reinforcement of potty time is never a bad idea.

As for letting you know when he's got to go outside ... thats tricky. Every dog has its individual signs. Some scratch at the door, others will whine, some will pace etc. I installed a bell on the front door that I tried to train my dog to use to let us know when he needed to go outside. I put it on the door so that it was reachable with him standing on all 4 legs and bumping it with his nose.

Every time we would go outside, I would encourage him to touch the bell while saying "outside" with his nose and give him a treat. We would then go outside and he would relieve himself and we would come right back inside. No walks, no playtime, just business. After a while it just clicked.

I was sitting on the sofa with my puppy who was sound asleep. I got up and went to the bathroom and he was still snoring away. I was on the toilet when all of a sudden I heard a ding from the bell. I thought maybe he just bumped it. But then I heard it again, and again. I came out to see him sitting down with his tail wagging, staring at me and then bumping the bell with his nose. We went outside, he did his thing and came right back inside and went right back to snoring again. I was so proud :3:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Verman posted:

I was sitting on the sofa with my puppy who was sound asleep. I got up and went to the bathroom and he was still snoring away. I was on the toilet when all of a sudden I heard a ding from the bell. I thought maybe he just bumped it. But then I heard it again, and again. I came out to see him sitting down with his tail wagging, staring at me and then bumping the bell with his nose. We went outside, he did his thing and came right back inside and went right back to snoring again. I was so proud :3:

Those puppy moments when they figure something out and are so proud are the best :3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Verman posted:

As for letting you know when he's got to go outside ... thats tricky. Every dog has its individual signs. Some scratch at the door, others will whine, some will pace etc. I installed a bell on the front door that I tried to train my dog to use to let us know when he needed to go outside. I put it on the door so that it was reachable with him standing on all 4 legs and bumping it with his nose.

Every time we would go outside, I would encourage him to touch the bell while saying "outside" with his nose and give him a treat. We would then go outside and he would relieve himself and we would come right back inside. No walks, no playtime, just business. After a while it just clicked.

I was gonna suggest doing the bell method, especially if you've got a smart dog(looking back you said you had a GSD/possible lab or husky mix so... yeah), a lot of them can pick up on this kind of thing.

GoodBee posted:

Then I impulse purchased her a Thundershirt. She seems to love the poo poo out of it. I'm worried about leaving it on her for too long. I can't really tell if the Thundershirt calms her down at all but maybe it does? She doesn't want me to take it off of her either.

I know I need to check her for hot spots under the Thundershirt so I do that. A Thundershirt can be worn for a while but I'm not sure how long. I figure a couple of hours is definitely fine, a couple of days is probably fine, but when should I take it off and leave it off of my nervous weirdo? I figure I'll wash it when it smells bad but do I put it back on her?

From the Thundershirt website:

quote:

HOW LONG CAN I LEAVE A THUNDERSHIRT ON MY DOG OR CAT?
ThunderShirt is designed to be safe to leave on for extended periods of time when appropriate for the situation or issue. When properly sized and properly put on with a comfortably snug fit, your dog should be very comfortable. If your dog will be wearing a Thunder- Shirt for more than one hour at a time, we recommend removing ThunderShirt every one to two hours during the initial periods to check for any signs of irritation points. Irritation points are very rare, but it is best to be cautious.

NO EXPOSED HOOK FASTENERS: When properly sized and put on your dog, no sections of “hook fasteners” (the side of the fasteners that feels rough to the touch) should be exposed on the outside or against your dog’s fur. If you see exposed hook fasteners in either place, please remove the ThunderShirt and contact us at service@thundershirt.com or 866.892.2078.

CHEST STRAPS SHOULD BE LOOSE AROUND NECK: Use the “two- finger” collar rule when applying the neck straps (i.e. easily slide two fingers between the neck straps and your dogs neck without pressure). The neck straps are only intended to keep the Thunder- Shirt in place.

So it sounds like you can probably work up to longer periods over time.

A lot of people have strong feelings for and against them, but imo if it works for your dog, go for it(it's basically the same concept of how people use weighted blankets for anxiety)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

From the Thundershirt website:

So it sounds like you can probably work up to longer periods over time.

Yeah, I read the website when I was considering buying one for Dog1. I thought she was nervous but she's positively chill compared to Dog2. All that info is in the package too, but that's it.

She's been wearing it for the past couple of days. I've been checking under it for irritation. I just took it off of her for a minute and apparently that's the worst thing in the world.

I guess really the only bad things that can happen are she gets an irritated hot spot under her shirt or she tries to chew her shirt off?

I'm going to let the little weirdo wear clothes until one of those things happens or it gets hot unless there's something else I should look out for.

quote:

A lot of people have strong feelings for and against them,

I can imagine...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is the VCA any good, or is it a scam?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Is the VCA any good, or is it a scam?

Are you talking about their Care Club? Banfield apparently offers something similar also. I haven't used either but I've heard people say good things.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So our dog really likes to get into the cats litter box and unfortunately we don't have the space to put it anywhere except on the ground in the laundry room. I typically try to keep the door open enough for the cat but closed enough that our pup cannot get through but eventually she will learn to push her way through.

Does anyone know of any product that is like a psuedo door stop? Something that attaches to the bottom of a door and can be deployed to leave a door open to a certain degree and can then be popped up at any time so a human can use the door as normal?

I know a normal doorstop would work but since we go in and out all the time it seems like a hassle. Obviously this is still my solution currently and will be moving forward if no such thing exists.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Could you get a gate with a kitty door? Something small enough the dog can't get through, but the cats still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Get a top-entry litter box (or the cheap alternative, a Sterilite bin with either no top or a hole cut in the lid).

If your cats have mobility issues and you have a medium sized or large dog, get a big bin, set the litter box inside it and cut a cat-sized access hole in the side at the opposite end.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 24, 2018