Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I watched the Blade Runner final cut edition on Blu-Ray last night and holy crap is it way better without the stupid narration.

Also the HD looked flawless, soundtrack is perfect, what a great movie. Should have bought it a long time ago.

I've had Final Cut sitting on my bookshelf since it came out and only put it in for the first time before 2049 came out. A big improvement even over the director's cut. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

New blade runner I assume?

No the first one. You can get a final cut edition which eliminates the narration by Harrison Ford. Soooo much better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dannywilson posted:

Guys, guys, guys this is pretty good. The fuzz on the guitars is pretty righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2gr5JhvUhY

This is a drat fine music

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Final Cut best cut. Blade Runner is probably my all time favorite film, slowness and all, but the parts that the Final Cut changes and tightens are overall improvements.

I feel like Blade Runner was the last film Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott both really gave a poo poo about and that synergy makes it a masterpiece.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MrYenko posted:

The last four Star Wars movies (excluding Rogue One, which I feel was slightly tighter,) have been somewhere between garbage and near-garbage in that respect, so I’m not expecting great things from this one. I still haven’t seen it, though.

Yeah, I was expecting something more like Empire, or at least Rogue One, and that wasn't really what I got from it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Enourmo posted:

This is a drat fine music

If I can only introduce 1 person to Mothership this Eve, it's still a Christmas miracle.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Maybe I’ve got some unpopular opinion, or some weird “silent majority” thing going on (lol), but I enjoy the new Star Wars movies because they at least give a poo poo about the parts that made the old ones cool. Badass Visual design, music, general Wagnerian Opera plot and themes, etc etc.

The Star Wars movies are not the best movies ever made and that’s okay, just chill out and enjoy them. Except the prequels, those were slow and terrible and someone should have told George Lucas to just STOP. (The fan cuts of the prequel movies are actually pretty decent because they basically do that in a long afterwards editing job).

All in all, go have fun when you see a Star War and stop expecting them to make you feel like you’re 7 again and it’ll be fun.

Merry Christmasssssss

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kimbo305 posted:

I'm in the only hotel in Corcoran, CA for a family Xmas event, and the town center is blaring generic instrumental holiday music on loudspeakers. They didn't turn it off overnight. It's kind of surreal TBH.

My parents live in Huntsville AL and there's a park there that blares the local easy listening station 24/7. Supposedly the homeless don't like easy listening?

:nono:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Lots of people take fun space movies for kids waaaaaaaayyy too seriously.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think you mean films

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The original Star Wars movies are among my favorites ever (Empire Strikes Best), that being said - if you remove John Williams score, they're all utterly unwatchable.

The Harmy Despecialized disc re-edits (Returning the movies to their theatrical cuts, removing the 'special edition' trash garbage that Lucas added after he quit doing coke and became a terrible filmmaker) are the best thing ever; if you're watching more recent re-cuts of the movie it's no wonder people think there's something bad about the originals.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

epic bird guy posted:

Lots of people take fun space movies for kids waaaaaaaayyy too seriously.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The original Star Wars movies are among my favorites ever (Empire Strikes Best), that being said - if you remove John Williams score, they're all utterly unwatchable.

The Harmy Despecialized disc re-edits (Returning the movies to their theatrical cuts, removing the 'special edition' trash garbage that Lucas added after he quit doing coke and became a terrible filmmaker) are the best thing ever; if you're watching more recent re-cuts of the movie it's no wonder people think there's something bad about the originals.

These are good opinions about The Star War by George Lucas. It’s a Christmas miracle!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

Ah yes, a critique of star wars referencing red letter media. Precious :allears:

Ahhh yesss a complete idiot who handwaves away what is generally acknowledged as one of the best and well informed long form critiques of a movie that has been seen.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Lucas was a far better film maker when he had no real resources to work with and he had actual good people around him who killed his stupider impulses, let alone script clean. Plus Empire wasnt directed by Lucas at all

Merry Christmas neeeeeeeeerds :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

McStephenson posted:

These are good opinions about The Star War by George Lucas. It’s a Christmas miracle!

Life Day Miracle. :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh yesss a complete idiot who handwaves away what is generally acknowledged as one of the best and well informed long form critiques of a movie that has been seen.

I just prefer to form my own opinion that's all

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

However on the user score for Last Jedi, it has been admitted a few Redditors built bots to skew the score down. Cinemascene says audiencees rated it A

why the gently caress would someone spend their time doing this

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Weaponized Autism

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

I just prefer to form my own opinion that's all

I know this might be a surprising concept, but you can form your own opinion by studying what others say and considering wether their argument has merit you know. RLM's argument about the prequels being crap is in fact quite well informed and unusally for media critisism backed up with good examples - and so far has withstood counter critique very well. But you know, keep handwaving it away - the very real problems are still going to be there and the prequels are still going to be flaming shitballs in a dumpster fire.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
All Star Wars movies are quite bad (I haven’t seen the most recent 3)

Merry Christmas and poo poo

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I feel like movies can be great without necessarily being good, and I feel like that's the niche that the Star Wars movies (yes even the original ones) fit. And they're some of my favorite movies and I've watched them so many times, I love them, but if you strip away the music and special effects, it's not really that great of a story. I still don't care, still love them.

Haven't seen The Last Jedi yet, but screw it, I had a lot of fun watching Force Awakens and Rogue One. I'm not expecting Oscar-worthy acting or writing, I just want to have fun and sit there with a stupid grin on my face.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I recently re-watched RoboCop per the GBS thread talking about it. Watching it now as a real-deal adult and man is it ever fantastic. That's a movie that deserves all the praise it gets.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Merry Christmas AI Goons.

My local radio station is doing a Kate Bush marathon and it's all good.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I recently re-watched RoboCop per the GBS thread talking about it. Watching it now as a real-deal adult and man is it ever fantastic. That's a movie that deserves all the praise it gets.

You should watch the Prime Directives movies. More Robocop is the only good thing about them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Merry Christmas AI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

You should watch the Prime Directives movies. More Robocop is the only good thing about them.

No he shouldn't. They're terrible. Robocop is not 5 foot 4.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have opinions on movies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Merry Christmas jerks. For those of you close to my age I rediscovered this after darn near 20 years and I suspect some of you remember it too.

https://youtu.be/eAODpLKZULA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Merry Christmas from Santa Klausner's Rally Team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vPdIxwfys

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My mother is very hard to buy for wrt gifts and I usually cop out and get her some random wrought iron candle holder thing. I'm pretty sure dad's starting to get annoyed with my choice in gifts but she loves that poo poo.

This year though, I made her magaritas instead:

Still cooling, and lime-coconut scented cause that was all I could find, but I'm surprised how close to the green of a dirty margarita the wax is because I guestimated how much blue and yellow dye I'd need.

Tossed the extra wax and a wick in a mason jar I had kicking around, you can see the final colour a lot better in it, compared to how dark the melted wax is.

E: The white grated wax is supposed to represent the ice, most of it will probably shake off when I take the candles out and I'll use that to "salt" the rims if I can figure out how to do that.

EE: Also for some reason the green looks more like pea soup in the pictures but I assure you it isn't.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 25, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I'm in the only hotel in Corcoran, CA for a family Xmas event, and the town center is blaring generic instrumental holiday music on loudspeakers. They didn't turn it off overnight. It's kind of surreal TBH.

Once arrived in Faro Portugal in a shopping g district late at night after being on a plane and having no idea where I was going or staying. This street with really nice shops had left Coldplay, etc... playing and I’m like the only person up in a town and country I’d never been to. Was kind of surreal bumbling my way around to the soundtrack.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Merry Christmas AI :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adiabatic posted:

and Merry Christmas to you!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
AI, I gifted you with Mothership on Christmas Eve, and now I gift you with Tei Shi, on this, the day of holy youngins:

Just put on a set of cans or a good system and turn this poo poo up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A17rVbNTtrg

e: it's totally different music from last time nerds

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Adiabatic posted:

Merry Christmas! May everyone's Holidays be shiny and chrome!

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
It’s Christmas Eve and I’m crunching up the cookies my daughter put out for Santa when the lights go off. Whole area lost power, estimated time of restored power is 3:15AM.

It’s going to be -20F with windchill tonight. gently caress Xcel energy, gently caress 2017.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Merry Christmas Jerks, may we all ride Shiny and Chrome!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I just pointed at one of my cats and said "you a fuckin rear end in a top hat?" and to the other I pointed and said "you a fuckin weirdo?" and they both mewed in unison and that is all the fuckin answer I needed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Merry Christmas, AI. Hope you're all spending it in good spirits.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mekilljoydammit posted:

I feel like movies can be great without necessarily being good, and I feel like that's the niche that the Star Wars movies (yes even the original ones) fit. And they're some of my favorite movies and I've watched them so many times, I love them, but if you strip away the music and special effects, it's not really that great of a story. I still don't care, still love them.

Haven't seen The Last Jedi yet, but screw it, I had a lot of fun watching Force Awakens and Rogue One. I'm not expecting Oscar-worthy acting or writing, I just want to have fun and sit there with a stupid grin on my face.

Yeah this

Merry Christmas everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Terrible movie chat: wife and I watched Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny a terrible, shoestring budget film with a loose Christmas plot and featuring a film within a film that was largely an extended ad for a closed amusement park in Florida with rifftrax commentary on Chrismas Eve for the third year in a row.

If you're in to MST3K the last 10 minutes or so may be the best riffing they've ever done.

• Locked thread