Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

We don't really understand why the game behaves how it does.

FPS goes up. FPS goes down. Nobody can explain that.

CIG has what, 15-30% of their ships flyable, I'm guessing >10% of the player items/armor they envision for the full release. They have no idea why performance is garbage with just this small set of assets. MoMA help me out; what fantasy land do you reside in that this starts working and more than 10 players can engage in complex twitch combat? Have you already admitted to yourself that this project will never see a 30 person battle?

Absolutely none of this is built in a modular or scalable fashion. They've said repeatedly that every ship is a special case and this is evidenced by years implementing the small handful they have currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If 3.0 is Jesus this is Palm Sunday.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Do they do this for non-concierge customers? I only have about 300 in but I'd love to get that back. How would one go about asking for a refund? I don't see an email address

They make it a pain in the rear end, but anyone can do it with enough patience. You can find a whole primer pinned at the top of the refunds sub:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I guess we've finally reached the final stage. Chris never had a vision, and nobody else at CIG knows what Star Citizen is. Their plan appears to be to take a bunch of assets and dump them in a box:

And somehow "emergent gameplay" will spring to life from that. But nobody can get any of the assets working, or the physics, or anything at all.

Half a decade, $170 million, and a blithering idiot who willfully misrepresented his ability to lead this project.

And now, just in time for Christmas, a new Articles of Faith is released to keep the backers pumping him his unearned and undeserved windfall so he can continue to fail at every single thing he attempts.

Every day is Peak CIG.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Chris's Christmas message:

The game is poo poo. We don't know what's going on. The ships and cargo are loving up the engine.

We might address things mid January, or later.

Merry Christmas.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well a year after I got my refund I decided to give it a try. Loaded it up, got a black screen for six minutes, exited out.

Merry Christmas.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gosts posted:

Really I can't see why people don't try more interesting styles of future warfare.

Because unless it's a strategy game of some sort, most of the "interesting" stuff is interesting conceptually but not something that can translate well to a video game. Anything at a scale of "more than person-on-person combat" can get really funky in, say, a book or movie, but the point of interest there is generally more in terms of "being a mind-bending hosed up thing and how people deal with it" more than the actual mechanics of it, and aren't likely to translate well to a video game.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Im really confused how the population is supposed to work for SC, its supposed to be an mmo but no more than 50 players can play per server? MMOs in alpha should be handling hundreds (if not moving into thousands) at least at this point of development?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

All jokes aside you have to admire the pair it takes to tell a group of people that 3.0 had to be released now because they didn't want to be rushed.

Chris, thank you for showing us your balls.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well a year after I got my refund I decided to give it a try. Loaded it up, got a black screen for six minutes, exited out.

Merry Christmas.

They're going to implement performance solutions, that 6 minutes of black screen will be down to 4 minutes 52 seconds by mid January

PS Have a good one!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

All jokes aside you have to admire the pair it takes to tell a group of people that 3.0 had to be released now because they didn't want to be rushed.

Chris, thank you for showing us your balls.

I'd have expected him to apologise for the broken joke they just released, instead he's blaming the horror of it on people playing it wrong and their OS paging stuff out to disk

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

downout posted:

Im really confused how the population is supposed to work for SC, its supposed to be an mmo but no more than 50 players can play per server? MMOs in alpha should be handling hundreds (if not moving into thousands) at least at this point of development?

You know more about game development than Chris. However he has you beat on movie director trivia so there.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

I'd have expected him to apologise for the broken joke they just released, instead he's blaming the horror of it on people playing it wrong and their OS paging stuff out to disk

I particularly like how he blames low frame rates squarely on the things people are doing on the server, going to far as to give an example of something that tanks frame rates, and an example of what rates should be if those events do not occur.

But it's also your RAM, and paging.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

downout posted:

It's 90% NPCs. Be careful not to bump into them, that's not handled yet.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Did Crobbler just blame the fact that they tried to hit a deadline for the poor state of 3.0? Because that's actually what he just did there

If you can't see that this guy is a conman by now then I just don't know

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

I particularly like how he blames low frame rates squarely on the things people are doing on the server, going to far as to give an example of something that tanks frame rates, and an example of what rates should be if those events do not occur.

But it's also your RAM, and paging.

The frame rate really starts dropping when people fly the expensive ships.

- Chris Roberts

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Merry Christmas Derek!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

a stupid, stupid man posted:

We have solutions for all these things, including moving physics to a batch updating model from an asynchronous one which will allow us to scale the physics much better (currently we are limited to only four threads for physics regardless of the cores on a client or server), level of detail updates for objects on the client from the server (don't update or update less frequently when far away, unbind an object from the network if far away from the client's view), Object Container streaming (whole areas of the game are only streamed in when needed on the client, allowing for dramatically less objects on clients) and they are in various stages of progress but they are not something we can complete in a week or two.

How about seven years?

Happy CIGmas, everybody.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How is this not a segment made by Crowbcat?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Doesn't this release of 3.0 mean that they are now entering their regular updates schedule with one patch per 3 months or some such?

There you go Citizens, you got something to look forward to for Easter now.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

Here it is, the entirety of my first experience with the live version of Star Citizen's long-awaited Alpha 3.0 patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ghK6glerU

Now any Crytek engineer feel free to step in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but from the issues I observed here first of all with the long loading time, the commando clipping through his fluffy blanket followed by the crash to menu with error code 30000, well let me just go ahead and stick my neck out and say that this all points toward the problem being that Star Citizen is hosed.

Having said that there was a bestest best boy at the end and that more than made up for it

e:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

How is this not a segment made by Crowbcat?

He's going to need an entire series to break down Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mne nravitsya posted:

<Waving from my wheelchair to the left of you> I played Zork on Cassette tape. There’s still a few of us alive Gorf :tipshat:

code:
LOAD “*”,9,1
PRESS PLAY ON TAPE
<screen goes psychedelic>

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
My prediction for 2018 is that Citizens turn on Chris and actually demand Crytek to take over this poo poo and fix it better.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Well, it's officially Christmas here, so

Merry Christmas, everybody. I've had a wonderful year with all of you.

:glomp:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Merry Smartmas and a Happy New July Blog to you all!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Merry Christmas thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS4_b2LbLW4

It was almost Christmas time, on a stream that wasn't live
Tryin' to get that last laugh or two, and watching devs work Christmas through
Waiting there on r/sc was a sperg or three waiting anxiously
Dreamin' big like Citizens do
And in each cart they had a pair of ships
And their shirts were 3XL, stained with Cheetos from head to toe
And when the stream was done that day
I couldn't believe what I heard them say.
"Chris we wanna buy these ships for our hangars, please
It's 3-dot-oh and these ships are just the prize
Could you hurry, Chris, release 42 some time?
You see we've been waiting quite a while
And we know these ships would make us smile
And we want them even if the cost is wildly expensive tonight."

They lauded Roberts for what seemed like years
While the goons said, "son, there's not a game here
The framerate's chugging spastically"
Then commandos at r/sc
They said, "Roberts and his fair skeleton spouse
Through six years they gave us no doubt
That the cash, it's making our dreams come true
Somehow we've got to buy us these Christmas ships."

So I stared in disbelief, at the jank so full of grief
And I'll never forget the look on my face when they said,
"Chris's game is just so great
Chris we wanna buy these ships for our hangars, please
And we know a pledge would make us smile
And we want them even if the cost is wildly expensive tonight."

I knew I'd caught a glimpse of cost so sunk
As they tried to buy a tank
I knew that God had sent those Citizens
To remind me what grifting is all about

"Chris we wanna buy these ships for our hangars, please
And we know some land would make us smile
And we want it even if the cost is wildly expensive tonight.

We want it even if we'll still clip straight through our spaceships tonight."

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Merry Christmas you beautiful bastards.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Chris has made a rare appearance on his weird discord knock-off in order to provide the base with some fresh talking points for the new year.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-performance-tidbits
"The good news is player count doesn't matter. The only problem is doing anything fun or interesting with ships causes our physics engine to poo poo blood."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In about 36 hours I'm getting on a plane to Tokyo to realize my childhood dream and look at giant anime robots while I buy tiny anime robots

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Beet Wagon posted:

Here it is, the entirety of my first experience with the live version of Star Citizen's long-awaited Alpha 3.0 patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ghK6glerU
First off, why were you trying to do crazy things in the game, like trying to play it? Didn't you get a powerful enough computer to run it? You should have checked to see if you needed to upgrade your RAM to avoid excessive disk swapping. Didn't you purchase one of the special Intel SSD's for Star Citizen? You had time before the 3.0 release to buy at least two Intel SSDs for trying this out. It's also still Alpha so I don't know why you set your expectations so high.

And why did you fast-forward so much? That's very disingenuous to only show the parts of the game that did not work well due to your own fault.

Croberts would be ashamed of you. I think we all feel ashamed at this point.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
A merry goonmas to all, and to all a goon night.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x52u5CmLZg

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Blocked, music detected

vimeo it

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 25, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Looks like you got Grinched.

This video contains content from Warner Chappell, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mne nravitsya posted:

Agreed. It’s near impossible to go back and experience them again with any lasting enthusiasm. But at the time, they were some of the most amazing moments. Is Ultima 4 the one with the whirlpool in the ocean?

I think it had multiple whirlpools around. I think one took you to the end area but it has been many decades so I may be wrong.

Also Origin built some of the best looking vga games before svga really took off, like Ultima 8. Despite it being terrible for the franchise it looked really pretty for the era. Was a nice transition of using 3D rendered sprites so they could have lots of direction of movement. Like Crusader, but I want to say Crusader was svga... don’t recall. Crusader wasn’t a game I was interested in so never played it. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Merry Christmas thread! I hope everybody gets their holiday wishes. Be safe and happy holidays! :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

He's literally the only recognizable person.

I just don’t understand why they didn’t do this with everybody. When you say you have “famous actor x!!!” and then the character barely looks like him or her, what’s the point outside of voice acting? May as well just be voice actors instead of getting these people to actually come act out real scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Starflight was epic, open world space game brilliance at a time when the tech could only crudely approximate the soaring creative ambition. Unlike most PG titles then and now, which too often finds the mathematically arbitrary scale undermining or destroying a player’s sense of meaningful activity, Starflight managed to infuse the game with a compelling narrative arc full of mystery, humor, surprise and urgency.

Yet indeed, it has aged very poorly and is sorely in need of a proper re-envisioning in the modern era... If only there was a studio out there that knew a thing or two about building large, open-world, exploration and discovery gameplay experiences filled with lots of unique races, quests, crafted locations, and all that goodness. A studio willing to take old IP and reboot it for the modern gaming era. A studio that longed to finally broaden their own limited offerings into the sci-fi realm. That had years to throw at the project in secret without telling anyone just how much time and money they were committing to doing that glorious original masterpiece some kind of justice.

If only...

Ah well, a guy can dream right?

I wish there was. :)

The funny part about computer gaming in general is that as things got prettier, the scopes shrank.

I’d love a great new Starflight, with the same general gameplay mechanics and a fresh skin of paint for this generation.