Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jerry Cotton posted:

If a three-year-old pocket computer system cum mobile telephone needs to be slowed down to make its battery not shut down on it's own, that just means they've sold people extremely lovely batteries.

Never used a rechargeable battery before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

duz posted:

If preserving the battery was the real reason then it would have come as an optional energy setting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

duz posted:

Eat my rear end, fuckwad.

e: My Lumia is four years old and the battery is fine. The Lumia I borrowed because I broke the loving screen is three years old and the battery is fine. Also eat my rear end a second time, fuckwad.

ee: Everything else about them sucks but the batteries are fine. Continue eating my rear end, fuckwad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

No, guys, it's a feature! We meant to do it, so it isn't a "problem".

Now go buy a new one like a good little appler.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Katt posted:

If preserving the battery was the real reason then it would have come as an optional energy setting.

It's not preserving the battery, it's stopping it from suddenly draining too much under non-optional conditions.

It's a sensible answer and I could tell the iPhone was doing it before it was public, but holy gently caress it's a bad idea to do this without disclosing it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: My Lumia is four years old and the battery is fine. The Lumia I borrowed because I broke the loving screen is three years old and the battery is fine. Also eat my rear end a second time, fuckwad.

ee: Everything else about them sucks but the batteries are fine. Continue eating my rear end, fuckwad.

Nokia has been just as bad about this poo poo on their smartphone side, and there's a reason Series 60 turned from "okay" to "a loving joke". The only reason they don't have to do the same thing is because the software on Lumia has been utter rear end ever since the Windows Phone 8 release. That, and user-replaceable batteries.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Haha, yeah loving right.

Also, agc: you'd have to be a child to imagine that something like that will actually happen given that history shows it doesn't.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Getting really mad about phones in the political cartoon thread.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Technowolf posted:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Merry Christmas everyone except the Bostonians, who ought to go work instead.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Grimdude posted:

Haha, yeah loving right.

Also, agc: you'd have to be a child to imagine that something like that will actually happen given that history shows it doesn't.

I dunno man, look at their faces. That dad knows he is getting dry-hosed six ways to Sunday, and the kid (a closet Hillary supporter) cannot help but twist the knife.

The tip-off (besides the expressions) is that the kid used the derogatory term "trickle down", and surely a highly intelligent and well-informed political commentator like Gary Varvel would be fully aware of that context.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Getting really mad about phones in the political cartoon thread.

It was a warranted response.

The one and only reason in the whole world to do this was to get people to upgrade to new Iphones.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

If a three-year-old pocket computer system cum mobile telephone needs to be slowed down to make its battery not shut down on it's own, that just means they've sold people extremely lovely batteries.
Sometimes only one year old.

endlessmonotony posted:

It's a sensible answer and I could tell the iPhone was doing it before it was public, but holy gently caress it's a bad idea to do this without disclosing it.
It's not the worst possible response but they hosed up if they need a permanent throttle instead of having the chips detect power issues and slow down for a millisecond or two.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I dunno man, look at their faces. That dad knows he is getting dry-hosed six ways to Sunday, and the kid (a closet Hillary supporter) cannot help but twist the knife.

The tip-off (besides the expressions) is that the kid used the derogatory term "trickle down", and surely a highly intelligent and well-informed political commentator like Gary Varvel would be fully aware of that context.

You just know that this kid and his dad have previously had conversations about how the dad can't afford to raise the kid's allowance, too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dylan16807 posted:

Sometimes only one year old.

It's not the worst possible response but they hosed up if they need a permanent throttle instead of having the chips detect power issues and slow down for a millisecond or two.

It wasn't a permanent throttle, it was throttle when the battery couldn't handle it.

... which turned into a permanent throttle on a very aged battery.

Mine throttles based on weather, because I live in a frozen hellhole. The UI responsiveness goes way down after a bit of cold air.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Katt posted:

The one and only reason in the whole world to do this was to get people to upgrade to new Iphones.

This poster doesn't understand battery chemistry.

(I do agree that Apple hosed up communication severely, but there's a good reason to do what they did.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Trazz posted:

You just know that this kid and his dad have previously had conversations about how the dad can't afford to raise the kid's allowance, too.

That kid has been given poo poo his whole life how dad and his wallet that always opens for fancy tvs, beer and new cars even in tight times just can't seem to find the money to pay his kid for all the poo poo he has to do because its too cold or "daddy's tired to mow his own lawn".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It costs $55 (In parts and labor) to replace an Iphone 6 7 or 8 battery in the shop I work at. It's not to save the battery, it's planned obsolescence. :ssh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Katt posted:

Hopefully the backlash lets people chose between that functionality. I also admit that it’s bullshit that Apple makes a huge fuss out of replacing batteries themselves. They should do it no questions asked.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You know how most laptops have easily replacable batteries, but Apple were the first to seal their batteries up in the case?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Katt posted:

Naturally and people will keep buying them because it's a loving cult.

Or because every Android phone I’ve had ended up with massive, repetitive OS issues in less than a year, but my iPhone has been fine for 2.5. :shrug: I loving hate Apple’s business practices but it’s been worth it to not have my phone continually reboot itself, or slow to a crawl if someone posts a gif, etc.

I admit my experience is abnormal with Android, but I’m never getting another one of those.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Iphones are trash phones for babies. Androids are total crapshoots. WIndows phones are great, but good luck downloading any app at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For my next phone I just want one that’s smaller, but that’s not the direction things have been going for years for either android or Apple.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

:what:
Picked a bad time to leave out labels.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Drawing Trump"

Eight of the nation’s top cartoonists show us how they lampoon the president.
By MATT WUERKER

Being president is a tough job. The president has to sign bills, conduct wars, and uphold a heap of dusty rituals and customs. One of these traditions, perhaps the least dignified of all, is to be the focus of the ink-stained wretches of the cartooning trade.

Since the earliest days of the republic, these artists have taken a president’s face, really his whole public image, and put it through a wringer of ridicule, contorting distinctive features and twisting them into a cartoon caricature. For Barack Obama and George W. Bush, it was their oversized ears; for Bill Clinton, his bulbous red nose. That image becomes the inky avatar that can not only define a presidency, but follow a leader right into the history books.

But it also takes time for cartoonists to develop their perfect caricature of the commander in chief, boiling down physical attributes to shapes and lines that form a readily recognizable icon. One cartoonist will yank out the ears or tug on a lower lip; another might go nuts with the jowls or hair. With Donald Trump, a president whose yellow mop, pouty lips and signature hand gestures make him a particularly inspiring muse, a satirist can choose to go in myriad directions.

So, nearly one year into the Trump administration, we checked in with some of the best political cartoonists in the nation to see how they’re drawing Trump, the caricature. In the videos below, they offer their thoughts on the challenge as they sketch the face that launched a thousand pens.

Pat Bagley

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/drawing-trump/?lo=ap_f1

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

:what:
Picked a bad time to leave out labels.

Using refugees as a means to facilitate war, though IRL that's as an excuse rather than literally using them as jet fuel yet. Hardly that complex.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grimdude posted:

Haha, yeah loving right.

Yah with all the money he has left over from that new $50 a month he doesn't invest in things like NOT BEING IN BACK BREAKING DEBT UNTIL THE DAY YOU DIE I'm sure he'll run out and invest in one quarter of an XBox.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pound for pound, a subscription to WoW is your best bang for your buck for amount of entertainment anyhow.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

King Possum III posted:

"Drawing Trump"

Eight of the nation’s top cartoonists show us how they lampoon the president.

Did Mike Lester threaten Weurker's family, or is he just the easiest shithead to include because he does stuff for the Washington Post instead of... wherever the gently caress Bok and Branco go?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

It’s been a wild ride for bitcoin. According to Cointelegraph.com the crypto coin lost 40% of its value last week. It dropped from $20,078 to $11,833. But was it just a buying opportunity? Bitcoin bounced to $15,147 yesterday. Big Bitcoin Heists

Leonid Bershidsky writes in Bloomberg View that you’re money is safer in a bank.

And don’t forget your bitcoin pin.

Chip Bok posted:

Got this from the “thank you very much” closing scene of the 1970 Albert Finney movie, Scrooge. Merry Christmas!

Chip Bok posted:

The U.N. General Assembly took a vote condemning the United States for moving its embassy to Jerusalem. U.S. Ambassador Nike Haley told them she would be taking names.

Here’s how they voted: 128 yes, 9 no, 35 abstain.

The U.K. voted yes. Canada abstained.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The cartoonist has no idea how legs work.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

MrUnderbridge posted:

The cartoonist has no idea how legs work.

why create tags we're just gonna attach to every todd rall

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Getting mixed signals from that BoK given that it's bankers and telecom giants happily dancing in the street with Trump.

Or maybe he's just that out of touch/devoted to trickle down. I mean it IS BoK.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

wyoming posted:

It's amazing these all seem downright sensible compared to anything Garrison has done this year.

his eternal hatred of the ZOG keeps him grounded

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

his eternal hatred of the ZOG keeps him grounded

this always reminds me of this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when Apple removed their headphone jacks and we learned how many people had apparently hated headphone jacks all along and been wishing someone would have the courage to do away with those ugly eyesores? And that only nerds use wired headphones? That was fun too

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Its always weird to me when people idolise a profit oriented corporation.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Remember when people didn't start derails about apple vs non apple? Me neither.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I like how somebody decided they couldn't get yellow droplets past the censor or it would telegraph the punchline, so they left them white... Or they're saying rich people drink plenty of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

make the entire comic black and white then, how hard is this?

• Locked thread