Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

RatHat posted:

Anything for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Start accelerating right as the "2" in the opening countdown stops moving for a speed boost.

Coins give a tiny speed boost when you run over them, and slightly increase your top speed for each one you have on you.

The Super Horn (the red box item) can destroy a Blue Shell if it's hovering above you.

The game has options for auto-steering and auto-accelerating, I forget if they're turned on by default but you may want to check that they're off. There's nothing worse than saving a mushroom for a shortcut then having the computer veer you back onto the "right" path and ruin your fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RatHat posted:

Anything for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Alris posted:

The game has options for auto-steering and auto-accelerating, I forget if they're turned on by default but you may want to check that they're off. There's nothing worse than saving a mushroom for a shortcut then having the computer veer you back onto the "right" path and ruin your fun.

I *think* they're actually on by default, or one of them is, or something. I have no idea. What I do know is that with those turned on even people that have never touched a video game before will have a blast racing and probably won't come in last. I got a pretty good little micro tournament going sitting out on my parents' back deck on a nice day when I visited over the summer, and they're both retired people nearing 70. My mom kept making that "whoo!" kind of noise that aging moms make when they ride roller coasters or have fun, and my dad had this look of steely determination like he was performing surgery. Both of them kept asking for one more race. It was adorable. :3:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm playing through FF9 for the first time since it was first released (so, essentially for the first time). Is this advice from the wiki, uh, actually any good?

quote:

Stealing from bosses is the biggest waste of effort in the game. Just get your special junk later on.

I feel like I remember stealing being a pretty big part of the game and that seems fishy to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm playing through FF9 for the first time since it was first released (so, essentially for the first time). Is this advice from the wiki, uh, actually any good?

I feel like I remember stealing being a pretty big part of the game and that seems fishy to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Stealing can get you amazing weapons. The problem is that usually these weapons can be purchased or synthesized a few hours later, and when you get to the later part of the game, some of the steal rates for the bosses are absurdly low. I think the tip was more to prevent people from trying to steal the Fairy Flute from Gigas for an hour and half. Stealing is perfectly fine, just know you won't miss anything permanently by not stealing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

Stealing can get you amazing weapons. The problem is that usually these weapons can be purchased or synthesized a few hours later, and when you get to the later part of the game, some of the steal rates for the bosses are absurdly low. I think the tip was more to prevent people from trying to steal the Fairy Flute from Gigas for an hour and half. Stealing is perfectly fine, just know you won't miss anything permanently by not stealing.

Gotcha; that clears it up for me, thanks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ainsley McTree posted:

You might be able to get an new weapon a couple towns early every once and a while stealing from bosses, but it's rarely worth the effort. The good boss steals usually end up being like a 1-in-254 chance or something ridiculous.

e: I got distracted for like ten minute in the middle of typing that.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 18, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pneub posted:

You might be able to get an new weapon a couple towns early every once and a while stealing from bosses, but it's rarely worth the effort. The good boss steals usually end up being like a 1-in-254 chance or something ridiculous.

e: I got distracted for like ten minute in the middle of typing that.

IIRC the only items which are that hard to steal (without Master Thief) are the Fairy Flute from Hilgigars and the Demon's Mail from Tantarian. Nothing else comes even close to being that bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

yeah before you get master thief, the only bosses that suck and are bad to try to steal everything from are hilgigars, beatrix, and maybe the tree--i feel like i remember it having some really crappy rare steal, or something you could've gotten from a chocograph treasure way before then.

ff9... stealing is good enough for you to dedicate zidane to it until the boss is out of items, but if your other party members kill it from fighting normally in the meantime, 99% of the steals aren't worth worrying over until the very late game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also if the wiki's still going on about how spirit is a garbage stat, ignore that. It's actually got a nice selection of appreciable effects, mostly relating to positive and negative status effects:

- Better chance of inflicting critical hits
- Bad statuses wear off faster
- Good statuses last longer
- Regen ticks more frequently
- Poison and venom tick less frequently
- (And, less interestingly, it increases the damage of Amarant's Spare Change.)

Some important context of this benefit is that FF9 is a game in which Regen is loving godly. So boost your spirit and Regen not only has faster healing per second, but lasts more seconds, even before you get into Auto-Regen setups later on.

That's not to say it's so singlehandedly amazing that it's worth a big sacrifice of one of the more obvious stats, but it's certainly a Thing Worth Having and very much not garbage.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anything for Skystrike+?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Sword Coast Legends

I heard this game was actually pretty decent. I was into Tyranny for a bit but I eventually petered out. I wasn't far from the end of the game anyway and was fairly surprised at how short it seemed.

How long is Sword Coast? I grew up reading Forgotten Realms stuff and I actually really like the world itself so I'm hoping this game turns out to be pretty fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

Also if the wiki's still going on about how spirit is a garbage stat, ignore that. It's actually got a nice selection of appreciable effects, mostly relating to positive and negative status effects:

it's also nice on vivi if you aren't doing auto-reflect + reflect x2 bio shenanigans, spirit also affects the hit rate of Meteor, which is
(spirit + (level/2))%

and it affects the rate at which you build trance gauge. it's /255 and without high tide, getting hit increases it by (random.range(1,spirit)), but with high tide, it increases equal to your spirit. so yeah you'll hit trance after taking six attacks if you grind your spirit, which is probably the easiest stat to grind.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for Spellforce 2: Anniversary Edition? The wiki is empty.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For Yakuza 0, is it worth dumping in money to develop Kiryu's businesses? It's a pain in the rear end to physically do it once you get a bunch of them unlocked, and it seems like it's also very expensive, I'm just wondering if the ROI is big enough to make it essentially mandatory, or if I'm ok to just skip it and move the game along.

All it does is boost their income, right? It's not a significant boost to market share?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I picked up Sniper Elite 3 yesterday, and the Wiki's advice is a tad sparse. Is there anything else helpful to know, or are those three items pretty much it?

Like, can I treat each map like I'm playing Fallout and just sneak snipe my way to victory, like in SEV2?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up Sniper Elite 3 yesterday, and the Wiki's advice is a tad sparse. Is there anything else helpful to know, or are those three items pretty much it?

Like, can I treat each map like I'm playing Fallout and just sneak snipe my way to victory, like in SEV2?
An alarm is not end of the world, you can just reposition. It's not just about sniping, use your other tools as well - dropping a couple mines on the approachs to your sniping spot helps a lot; so does the flint and tinder which creates fires the enemies will go investigate.
That's about it, really; it's pretty open in how it lets you approach objectives.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked up final Fantasy tactics for iOS. The wiki is very detailed and well organized, but I was wondering if there were any more sort of...general rule of thumb type tips? Like “don’t bother with class X” or “always have x amount of healers in your party” or “an ideal party composition that will carry you through the entire game with minimal difficulty is X”

There are so many jobs and abilities and I’m in a little over my head.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
don't bother with archer class (unless you're grinding it for ninja, or Concentrate which is good)

the ideal party composition that will carry you through the entire game is 5 monks, because their attack power is a function of their Physical Attack (i think it's PA^2) plus a part of their Brave, so as long as you give them armor that increases the PA stat (the tiny sword on your status screen), everyone will be doing like 200-500+ damage by the end of the second chapter

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 24, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do you even need healers if you’re going all monk or can they take care of healing themselves/each other?

The wiki makes it sound like men are better monks than women; is the difference really that noticeable or can I not be sexist and still be fine?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you even need healers if you’re going all monk or can they take care of healing themselves/each other?

The wiki makes it sound like men are better monks than women; is the difference really that noticeable or can I not be sexist and still be fine?
You'll definitely notice it. That's not to say you can't, there's a billion ways to play the game.

Honestly, you don't need to break it in half, FFT is definitely one of those "nerds overload you with info because :spergin:" games, so here's the super TL;DR:

- Make multiple saves. The game tends to suddenly spike in difficulty, and there are some places when after you finish a combat, either another one starts up immediately, or you are placed in an area of the map where no grinding is available. That can really screw a game over in some points if you are not set up for one or two of the fights.

- Make Ramza something good in melee, he has a couple close-quarters solo duels.

- Early battles, much like Deus Ex, will be boring! This is because your characters just can't do much other than use items and hit stuff. Hold out! As your characters start advancing in other jobs, the strategic options will open up.

- The Guest/Special characters are powerful so use them. TG Cid is overpowered but even Agrias and Mustadio are very powerful if used correctly. The exception here is Cloud. He starts out at level one and his unique skills are rather average.

- Unless you want to drive yourself crazy, don't bother trying to get all of the rare/unique items. It takes forever and is not necessary for a normal play through. I think the best way to enjoy this game is to just follow the story, grinding where necessary.

- The turn listing will also show when spells will go off.

Edit: Once you've beaten it, though, or if you intend to do the post-game stuff, breaking it in half over your knee is super fun, and there's a lot of ways to do it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 24, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anything worth noting for Shadow of War or Agents of Mayhem?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GoneRampant posted:

Agents of Mayhem?

The shard scan pulse upgrade not only highlights shards through walls, but will also temporarily mark them on the map.

End of dungeon loot drops default to one item for each agent in your squad, but if you've exhausted all possible drops for them it will drop something for another random agent instead.

Completing the big dungeon at the end of the Global Operation map minigame resets the entire thing back to square one, and even getting through just one cycle takes a large time and intel investment. So when the time comes, take your favorite three agents so you can get their unique drops and then don't bother with the rest. (And frankly even then a lot of the drops are unimpressive.)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Heat Signature or Caves of Qud?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anything worth knowing about Drakengard? Just started and I am wondering if you can miss the weapons and such.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Anything worth knowing about Drakengard? Just started and I am wondering if you can miss the weapons and such.

You cant miss weapons because grinding 45 minute missions over and over again with increasingly insane conditions to unlock new weapons is 90% of the end game.

Combat never really changes, your dragon is typically complete rear end that will get you killed, and if you dont enjoy knockoff dynasty warriors you never will.

Grinding out weapon upgrades is also a nightmare, try to never think about that.

Youre genuinely only playing this game for its story because to contemplate otherwise is infathomable. Just youtube the final ending instead of grinding out for it.

The sequel is extremely not good as well and the plot is less fun even if at one point somebody literally kills death for getting in their way. The second sequel is mechanically improved but narratively uninteresting to the end and features a final boss fight in contention for “worst boss fight of all time”

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

You cant miss weapons because grinding 45 minute missions over and over again with increasingly insane conditions to unlock new weapons is 90% of the end game.

Combat never really changes, your dragon is typically complete rear end that will get you killed, and if you dont enjoy knockoff dynasty warriors you never will.

Grinding out weapon upgrades is also a nightmare, try to never think about that.

Youre genuinely only playing this game for its story because to contemplate otherwise is infathomable. Just youtube the final ending instead of grinding out for it.

The sequel is extremely not good as well and the plot is less fun even if at one point somebody literally kills death for getting in their way. The second sequel is mechanically improved but narratively uninteresting to the end and features a final boss fight in contention for “worst boss fight of all time”

Ya I mainly am playing for the plot. I actually enjoy the Dynasty Warrior games but this has much worse combat imo.

I have heard about the win conditions on some maps being insane. This is the only thing I am worried about. Is it just the time constraint or enemies being hard that is frustrating?

E:I might just drop it if its too tedious.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 25, 2017

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked up final Fantasy tactics for iOS. The wiki is very detailed and well organized, but I was wondering if there were any more sort of...general rule of thumb type tips? Like “don’t bother with class X” or “always have x amount of healers in your party” or “an ideal party composition that will carry you through the entire game with minimal difficulty is X”

There are so many jobs and abilities and I’m in a little over my head.

All the traps in FFT are based around Ramza and story battles. Follow the general advice for building Ramza and you'll be fine. If you somehow made him a caster, guide him towards Samurai to make him OP.

Regarding jobs, I would suggest keeping at least one caster and someone who can move/steal is super handy. It's your first time playing the game, so explore your options to get a feel for them.

Don't bother taming monsters for combat. You only want to tame them so you can breed them for pelts/poaching.

For healing, having the Item skill will carry you throughout the game just fine. Being able to revive at will is also extremely helpful. I like to put it on one to two of my units with the most movement.

If you build a calculator, set them to AI unless you love diving into menus for hours.

Don't stress min/maxing, zodiac signs, or brave/faith. It'll just give you headaches and the game has deep systems for the silliest things. There's loving stat charts for deleveling jobs for the best gains. It's all pointless when you just get a few broken characters/skills/spells/gear. With that said, gender is important due to charm, bard/dancer, and certain accessories.

You will get a character that will break the game before TG Cid. Mustadio is really good but loving Balthier puts him to shame.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr E posted:

Anything for Heat Signature or Caves of Qud?

Heat Signature
- Don't forget you can teleport any loose items or weapons on the ship into your inventory.
- Teleportation happens faster than bullets travel.
- Windows can be destroyed by all kinds of things and make both an unstoppable murder technique and a quick escape route.
- Melee weapons can be swung and then thrown in rapid succession.
- Weapons do not share reload times. A brace of pistols or a belt hung with wrenches is a surprisingly strong strategy.
- All grenades pierce armor, lethal or no.
- Slipstreams are brokenly good.
- Try the ridiculous bullshit missions, this game is best when you're in way over your head.
- Play it in short sessions. It's easy to burn out on.

I may post about CoQ tomorrow when I'm less phoneposty. It's not an easy game to write a BIP entry for though, partly for its complexity and partly because it's in active development

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 25, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Yakuza 0, is it worth dumping in money to develop Kiryu's businesses? It's a pain in the rear end to physically do it once you get a bunch of them unlocked, and it seems like it's also very expensive, I'm just wondering if the ROI is big enough to make it essentially mandatory, or if I'm ok to just skip it and move the game along.

All it does is boost their income, right? It's not a significant boost to market share?

Generally yes, especially if you aim to get close to 100% the game (aka you are insane). You'll at least want to "finish" (take over all the areas) the business sidequest since doing that unlocks something very good. Once you've unlocked that thing you want to have a lot of money.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Generally yes, especially if you aim to get close to 100% the game (aka you are insane). You'll at least want to "finish" (take over all the areas) the business sidequest since doing that unlocks something very good. Once you've unlocked that thing you want to have a lot of money.

Yeah I don’t care about 100%ing the game, I’m just wanting to finish the business side quest. I can’t tell if investing in all my businesses every time is actually helping much to accomplish that faster or if it’s just a long term bonus to money.

And thanks for all the FFT tips folks. I’m still shamefully bad at playing the actual game somehow. Even setting them all to AI mode seems to somehow give me worse results than the enemy AI, which seems unfair, you’d think they’d at least be evenly matched

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 25, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Anything for Cosmic Star Heroine?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What do you guys have for Horizon Zero Dawn?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Even setting them all to AI mode seems to somehow give me worse results than the enemy AI, which seems unfair, you’d think they’d at least be evenly matched
The AI is very good at playing certain classes, and very bad at playing others. A good rule of thumb is that if a key feature of the class involves some kind of math or exact planning, the AI is probably better at it than you.

Edit: What kinds of issues are you running into with the difficulty? Are you getting back-attacked a lot? Are you having trouble keeping up with healing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya I mainly am playing for the plot. I actually enjoy the Dynasty Warrior games but this has much worse combat imo.

I have heard about the win conditions on some maps being insane. This is the only thing I am worried about. Is it just the time constraint or enemies being hard that is frustrating?

E:I might just drop it if its too tedious.

Theyre a range of bad things. Several require nearly 40 minutes of mindless killing then a desperate dash to get back to whatever random spot on the map the weapon spawned before the mission times out, others require speed running levels with tight time limits and random conditions so have fun replaying a stage multiple times for one weapon, and several are basically “buy a guide”.

The fact that they made this and somebody ever hired them again is absolute madness.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm about to try to play Civilization: Beyond Earth in earnest for the first time. I checked the wiki and it's a little light, got anything for me? I am very familiar with the Civilization series and understand the basic concepts very well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

The AI is very good at playing certain classes, and very bad at playing others. A good rule of thumb is that if a key feature of the class involves some kind of math or exact planning, the AI is probably better at it than you.

Edit: What kinds of issues are you running into with the difficulty? Are you getting back-attacked a lot? Are you having trouble keeping up with healing?

I think I’m just generally struggling to get a sense of the battlefield. My boys over extend and get surrounded, I need to do a better job of learning how to use them as a group, I think.

I’m also frustrated with the AI, when I use it, doing things that make no sense (spending the first turn moving the whole squad backwards, using lovely abilities like stone or rush when a normal attack would obviously have been better, etc). The obvious lesson here is “don’t use the ai, dummy” so I’m going to stop doing that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I’m just generally struggling to get a sense of the battlefield. My boys over extend and get surrounded, I need to do a better job of learning how to use them as a group, I think.
Yeah, using the terrain to your advantage is crucial, and will only get moreso as the game goes on. Height advantage, flanking, chokepoints, keeping your back to a wall when you can, etc.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm about to try to play Civilization: Beyond Earth in earnest for the first time. I checked the wiki and it's a little light, got anything for me? I am very familiar with the Civilization series and understand the basic concepts very well.

Don't. Play Civ V or VI instead.

Beyond Earth feels exactly like Sid Meier took Civ V, ripped out all personality and flavor from the factions, then replaced Wheat and Coal with "Alien Potatoes" and "Wiggidy-Diggidies", then replaced the tech tree with something he had a vision of while under the influence of mescaline and airplane glue, and finally made the enemy AI so passive you can win while blind drunk. Then he charged $30 for the ability to build on water.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Don't. Play Civ V or VI instead.

Beyond Earth feels exactly like Sid Meier took Civ V, ripped out all personality and flavor from the factions, then replaced Wheat and Coal with "Alien Potatoes" and "Wiggidy-Diggidies", then replaced the tech tree with something he had a vision of while under the influence of mescaline and airplane glue, and finally made the enemy AI so passive you can win while blind drunk. Then he charged $30 for the ability to build on water.

This happened before in this thread, I don't get you people. I already have it, bought it on release. I've played Civ V and VI to death, so I'm going to try and get some mileage out of this game so it isn't just money in the toilet. If your advice on what someone should know about a game before playing it is "don't play it", then just keep it to yourself, tia. It isn't helpful, I already read the reviews. It's "what should I know before I play this game for the first time", not "what is your hot take about this game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This happened before in this thread, I don't get you people. I already have it, bought it on release. I've played Civ V and VI to death, so I'm going to try and get some mileage out of this game so it isn't just money in the toilet. If your advice on what someone should know about a game before playing it is "don't play it", then just keep it to yourself, tia. It isn't helpful, I already read the reviews.

You're absolutely welcome to your opinions, but I feel that "it sucks, don't play it" is a valid response to a game one feels is lovely. A lovely game costs you both your money and your time; if you can prevent someone from throwing either down the toilet, you should.