Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I always figured that cheap beers were all the same, but I started doing reviews on Beer Advocate and realized that if I paid attention I could taste a surprising amount of difference.

I can taste some differences but it's like twenty different flavors of tap water. Just different varieties of Not Worth Drinking Except Alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

As a manager, I treat my office in a way that's so casual that some people would balk at it. You have to ask for days off outside of PTO usage (and PTO still needs approval, but it almost always gets approved unless there's some kind of emergency where we need to have you work), but nobody will ever be fired for being out sick as long as they have a doctor's note, no matter how long they're gone. We let people work on weekends when the office is closed if they want to make up for time lost for sick days or vacations. If there's an emergency and someone needs to leave early or come in late, we'll usually approve as long as it doesn't gently caress everyone else up. One of our employees has a whole battery of medical issues, so we allow her flexibility in her coming and going to reflect that. Our strongest rules are that you need to call ahead if you're going to be late and you need to come in and leave at the times you put on the board for your planned attendance.

And you know what? Our productivity and morale are through the roof. Everyone gets along, most people are friends with each other and continue those friendships outside the office, nobody is exhausted, and people are even willing to work more than 40 hours a week of their own accord. We don't cycle through tons of disposable workers because people enjoy their work environment. We clamped down a little when a few people tried to take advantage of it to come and go as they pleased, but for the most part nobody seems to feel a need to take advantage of it in the first place.

Turns out treating your workers like human beings with lives outside the workplace makes them really good at their work. Who knew?

Yeah, I run operations for a small coffee company and in the office we can: come in when we like, leave when we like, take time off if we're sick, take days in lieu, work from home if necessary. And we're 6 people doing the work of 12, (small company growth blues) everyone works like hell and is happy and productive because we're able to manage our own time. We've got retail stores with hourly workers too and recently I successfully proposed hiring an extra member of staff by demonstrating that we were spending more in hiring and training than we would on an hourly worker, and the number one cause of burnout amongst our staff was excess covershifts caused by sickness or holiday.

It's good to work for a company where senior management actually use their brains.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

This has literally never been true.

Remember when Eggplant Wizard aka Aubergine used to push the Latin jokes?

veni veni veni is kind of funny, as a user name

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

KingSlime posted:

Veni veni veni makes an interesting point. Yes the US has some seriously rear end backwards laws that should not be defended (unless you benefit from them, in which case know that you will be the first to hang).

Somehow, it only fucks over the lovely employees who absolutely deserve to get fired. I'm sure this isn't universally true but it's gotten to the point where I roll my eyes at people complaining about working conditions or labor laws in most workplace settings because They Just Suck either way, and somehow never seen to be able to find even ground no matter how good things are going for them. You know the kind, that one coworker who is always spilling his/her woes on FB and is somehow in a constant state of absolute crisis.

Which further makes the rest of us shrug our shoulders, feeding into this cycle of crappy US labor laws :shrug:

I mean, based on my experience only, everyone complains about working conditions where I work. There are some people who make others pick up their slack, but the possibility of loving over the good workers to be able to nail the few that cause problems is totally not worth it. People who habitually call in sick are going to reap what they sow eventually, but having strict rules about such things is just going to cause more problems than it's worth, know what I mean jellybean?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I always figured that cheap beers were all the same, but I started doing reviews on Beer Advocate and realized that if I paid attention I could taste a surprising amount of difference. This is how I determined that Sapporo is horrible and PBR is the best for pounding at a bar for $1 because it has so little flavor that you actually need to focus on your tongue to taste anything but carbonation.

PBR also meets the FDAs standards to be considered gluten free so it's a super cheap beer that's okay for people with celiac disease.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
pbr is a pro tier cheap lovely beer but if you can get it, hands down the best is milwaukee's best light

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

boner confessor posted:

pbr is a pro tier cheap lovely beer but if you can get it, hands down the best is milwaukee's best light

The Beast is foul, no thanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Cheapbeerchat: http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/foodfocus/ct-macro-beer-tasting-food-0712-20170706-story.html

It's Hamm's.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wonder if shops would be able to schedule employees for Christmas Eve who simply don't celebrate Christmas, or who don't care, and stay open late for the stragglers.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What are you, some sort of terrist that doesn't celebrate our lord and savior's birthday?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ante posted:

What are you, some sort of terrist that doesn't celebrate our lord and savior's birthday?

Jehovas Witness's?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hyperlynx posted:

I wonder if shops would be able to schedule employees for Christmas Eve who simply don't celebrate Christmas, or who don't care, and stay open late for the stragglers.

Could that be used against the shop, though? Can see it being like, "We're being discriminated against by being forced to follow a holiday we don't believe in or forced to work a day those who do don't have to!".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramoro posted:

Jehovas Witness's?

Let's not sully ISIS' good name with that comparison

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Azhais posted:

Let's not sully ISIS' good name with that comparison

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=17

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

There's only so many Buddhists to go round.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 25, 2017

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
How much would you bid now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izx8r-bUcQ0

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DiggityDoink posted:

The Beast is foul, no thanks.

:nattyburn:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think it's more of a social idea that you're either working or being lazy and there's no in-between, and that somehow sickness is a moral issue instead of a biological one.

It's this. When I was a young worker, I'd come in sick thinking it meant I was showing management what a hard-working go-getter I was, and everything around me socially had reinforced that as proper behavior. It wasn't until I had a legit office job that this whole 'we can't afford the team getting sick' mentality came into play, and it took me a bit of time to internalize.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

"one dollar"

:laffo:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

That was schaden but it was handled so well by all parties involved that I find it somehow a win. Even Carey states it best: "They almost have it all cleaned up already." Those people are professional as hell.

Also it was cool the audience gave the crew some applause as well.

zakharov posted:

"one dollar"

:laffo:

Perfect timing.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

as a manager, if you got some scribbly illegible bullshit on hospital letterhead would you just shrug and accept it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Former DILF posted:

as a manager, if you got some scribbly illegible bullshit on hospital letterhead would you just shrug and accept it?

I didn't really care too much so long as they were being honest with me. If you were calling in because of bronchitis or a hang over it still resulted in you not being there. Just don't lie to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Former DILF posted:

You mean for sick time? I'd only give a gently caress if the person giving it to me had a history of sketchy illness.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That was schaden but it was handled so well by all parties involved that I find it somehow a win.
I'm amazed they got those shirts on air. "I survived sepsis" and getting spayed and neutered. Which I think is an old Bob Barker reference?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Former DILF posted:

You do realise you are allowed to call and verify the note, right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If we're talking about just an ordinary sick day and not some extended absence, requiring a doctor's note is really loving stupid. Doctors hate it because they have way more important things to do with their time than writing a note to teacher like it's loving high school, and it drives up medical costs and makes it harder for people who actually need the attention of a doctor to get to see one. Also, it's another way to discourage sick employees from staying home and not infecting their coworkers.

I can't figure out why if you give your employees x days of sick leave and y days of vacation a year you shouldn't just expect them to take x+y days off and be happy if they show up for more than that. It's one of their benefits, treat them like adults.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't even get how that works. You tell the doctor you were sick a couple of days ago and he's supposed to do something other than be like "Okay???"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The way I've always handled it is that if I'm sick enough to need more than one day off work then I'm sick enough to see a doctor about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If I have two days off in a row before or after a weekend I need a note, only because my work has been burned in the past with middle-management types taking long weekends and abusing the system. Especially during the mining boom when salaries were through the roof.

A couple of months ago, I had the Friday off, scraped myself out of bed to go in Monday afternoon to sign off on some budgets, then didn't go back until the following Friday. I don't think it was the actual 'flu but it was no fun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The way I've always handled it is that if I'm sick enough to need more than one day off work then I'm sick enough to see a doctor about it.

There's a whole bunch of things that can knock you on your rear end for more than a day that a doctor can't do anything about. What do you want him to do, write a script for antibiotics that aren't going to do a single thing because you have a viral infection?

Memento posted:

If I have two days off in a row before or after a weekend I need a note, only because my work has been burned in the past with middle-management types taking long weekends and abusing the system. Especially during the mining boom when salaries were through the roof.

A couple of months ago, I had the Friday off, scraped myself out of bed to go in Monday afternoon to sign off on some budgets, then didn't go back until the following Friday. I don't think it was the actual 'flu but it was no fun.

Again, here's me failing to understand how taking the PTO that an employee is entitled to as part of his benefits package is "abusing the system." It's their leave, let them take it. Your poo poo shouldn't be brittle enough that things fall apart because some people take a long weekend.
Really, PTO should just be PTO, period. The only thing that's different between sick leave and vacation at my company is how it carries over at the end of the year. Other than that nobody gives a poo poo, nor should they.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Dec 26, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

There's a whole bunch of things that can knock you on your rear end for more than a day that a doctor can't do anything about. What do you want him to do, write a script for antibiotics that aren't going to do a single thing because you have a viral infection?

Really, PTO should just be PTO, period. The only thing that's different between sick leave and vacation at my company is how it carries over at the end of the year. Other than that nobody gives a poo poo, nor should they.

Agreed.

The only reason I've ever had to produce a doctor's note was when I was getting my knee rebuilt. And I needed it for short-term disability insurance to kick in.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

We've also had temps just not come back to work after getting sick because a doctor's bill that would take them months to pay back was worse for them financially than getting a new job.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Google is failing me. Can someone repost that french video of the guy dressed as santa chasing down a car after it hit someone?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAPJiMho2Y&t=66s

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thank you! Merry christmas.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Santa racing down French streets to catch a hit and run driver is amazing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

Again, here's me failing to understand how taking the PTO that an employee is entitled to as part of his benefits package is "abusing the system." It's their leave, let them take it. Your poo poo shouldn't be brittle enough that things fall apart because some people take a long weekend.

Planning and staffing is the reason upper management give, yeah, but I see your point. poo poo never got really terrible and nothing was so fragile that it couldn't wait for the next day/be done after hours by someone who would then get paid OT for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't know of anyone who was ever denied PTO, but the highest levels of management (such as the owners) reserve the right to deny it if there's some sort of emergency that would royally gently caress things up if someone suddenly decided to disappear for a half a month. Like if both of the people making our physical product decided they were going to take a long vacation at the same time in a few weeks and our schedule showed that we'd be too understaffed to effectively cover for them, for example.

We also started requiring some sort of proof for leaving due to illness because of people who started regularly walking out in the middle of the day for vaguely defined problems like headaches, or one who consistently failed to come in on almost every single Monday because of claimed flu-like symptoms at the end of every weekend. It was enough of a problem that it noticeably slowed our work and resulted in customer service issues because of the same people consistently not coming in, and unfortunately you can't just establish a policy for one person because that comes off as discriminatory. "Proof" doesn't have to be a doctor's note, as we've made people leave to see the doctor when they started coughing up blood or throwing up in the bathroom.

It's not like poo poo will fall apart if we don't have maximum capacity for a day, but our scheduling flexibility (which makes us really popular with young people in school) means that sometimes we have days without a ton of people in for large parts of the day and we can't exactly afford to spend 6 hours with only 2 or 3 people trying to do everything.