Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I got my 'come back and give us money' junk - but I logged into the website first before clicking the link so my account was active. That being said, it did not confirm I'd successfully redeemed the offer - my only notification that it worked was getting the stuff when logging in. Something tells me a good amount of people are going to unlock the Missouri from the free 150k free xp, but not me.

Also, way to go, WG - by giving me 12 million credits, I'm more likely to keep not playing until you put a decent sale on ships and/or equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat these Duke of York missions are awful. Deal 100 000 damage to German ships in a cruiser is loving great when you're not guaranteed to have ANY GERMAN SHIPS IN THE ENEMY TEAM. And when you do, having to laser focus on the one or two loving sucks.

I'm kinda asking myself here... How much do I REALLY want the Duke of York?

E: these missions would be infinitely more fun if you could do them in co-op or scenarios.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Haha, oh poo poo: the stock Cleveland has a 13.3km range...this ship sucks so much balls now, but it was my favorite before and I am determined to make it work. Finally had a decent match with it, made 1300xp, but got blown up right before we capped because I can't get in range without being spotted by the whole other team.

I've been trying the hide-behind-islands, but do I need to put the acceleration mod on my ship for that to work properly? This bastard is awfully sluggish compared to the one in the video.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

God drat these Duke of York missions are awful. Deal 100 000 damage to German ships in a cruiser is loving great when you're not guaranteed to have ANY GERMAN SHIPS IN THE ENEMY TEAM. And when you do, having to laser focus on the one or two loving sucks.

E: these missions would be infinitely more fun if you could do them in co-op or scenarios.

Play ranked and I guarantee you you will see German battleships in basically every loving team.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Haha, oh poo poo: the stock Cleveland has a 13.3km range...this ship sucks so much balls now, but it was my favorite before and I am determined to make it work. Finally had a decent match with it, made 1300xp, but got blown up right before we capped because I can't get in range without being spotted by the whole other team.

I've been trying the hide-behind-islands, but do I need to put the acceleration mod on my ship for that to work properly? This bastard is awfully sluggish compared to the one in the video.

Also, apparently this trick is really well-known because every game I've tried it (four in a row, now) I've been OHK'd by a DD coming around the island blind...they are never spotted, they just come around the bend and ram 8 torps up in me. :smith:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Play ranked and I guarantee you you will see German battleships in basically every loving team.

I would but I don't have tier 8 ships :(

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Der Shovel posted:

I would but I don't have tier 8 ships :(

Always real money to fix that problem

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MikeC posted:

Always real money to fix that problem

No don't there's enough lovely Kidds and Tirpitz in ranked

I really should have bought a Lo Yang because goddamn I forgot how broken those were.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Got a 20 pack of the mid boxes because I'm an idiot. But, got some gold, flags and most importantly, a Tirpitz, Kidd and Giulio Cesare. And 90 days premium that I didn't notice.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 24, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
How bad is the Maass? I understand T7 DDs are in kind of an awkard spot

should I free xp past it?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MikeC posted:

How bad is the Maass? I understand T7 DDs are in kind of an awkard spot

should I free xp past it?

I like mine because it has a short torpedo reload. It doesn't have tons of gunpower but the torpedoes work great for area denial. The hydro is...okay and your large health pool helps contesting caps.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Also, apparently this trick is really well-known because every game I've tried it (four in a row, now) I've been OHK'd by a DD coming around the island blind...they are never spotted, they just come around the bend and ram 8 torps up in me. :smith:

Hmmm dont want to rag on you but if this happens repeatedly thats your fault. Be more aware if your flanks covered and you got that fighter plane to spot cheeky DDs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Herr Bazooka posted:

Hmmm dont want to rag on you but if this happens repeatedly thats your fault. Be more aware if your flanks covered and you got that fighter plane to spot cheeky DDs.

I definitely suck, but I have been launching the fighter. Is there a way to make it stay over the island for spotting, because I don't see these DDs until they decloak and fire, even with the fighter. :confused:

Yeah, I need better situational awareness for sure: I frequently end up out front by myself (because of the 13.3km range), or get left behind in the lee of an island (seriously, is there a way to buff speed?). The games I've survived so far I have mostly stayed behind/with the BBs, but then I can't engage.

This is just a huge disappointment because I loved this boat so much in the past...I know some of it is moving up in tiers to more experienced players, but my stats with the Omaha are orders of magnitude better than my new Cleveland. I finally got some of the upgrades unlocked, maybe an extra 1.3km of range will help. :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I definitely suck, but I have been launching the fighter. Is there a way to make it stay over the island for spotting, because I don't see these DDs until they decloak and fire, even with the fighter. :confused:

Yeah, I need better situational awareness for sure: I frequently end up out front by myself (because of the 13.3km range), or get left behind in the lee of an island (seriously, is there a way to buff speed?). The games I've survived so far I have mostly stayed behind/with the BBs, but then I can't engage.

This is just a huge disappointment because I loved this boat so much in the past...I know some of it is moving up in tiers to more experienced players, but my stats with the Omaha are orders of magnitude better than my new Cleveland. I finally got some of the upgrades unlocked, maybe an extra 1.3km of range will help. :shrug:

Run Mike flags and make sure you have your speed set to full ahead. The range upgrade pushes the Cleveland out to 14.4k and the improved turret rotation and HP from the hull upgrade makes the Cleveland much better. As always, stock ships are generally dogshit.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I personally felt Leberecht Maass was terrible, since it's just Gaede but one tier higher and slightly better concealment for the most part. Some people can make it work, I could not.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Der Shovel posted:

I mean if you're that mad at it why not just do the "hit enemy BBs 250 times with main guns in a cruiser" mission twice instead? :shrug:

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

There is perk that makes ships launch 2 planes but it is sort of wasted skill point. Well yes you dont see DDs thats the point but you know when they see you and that might be time to move.

While it is important to abuse islands dont get fixated on them, dont forget that you have a whole lot of other advantages. You have best rudder shift, you have best HP, you have second best detection out of your peers. You have best firepower, you have best armor. Generally your peers are much more scared of you then you are of them. Cleveland got powercreeped but it still a strong boat. I mean Pensa got almost none of those advantages, it plays in more killy environment and its still ok. Yes it has some glaring weaknesses like lack of torps and double edged sword of high shot arc. Upgrades and captain important for Cleveland. IFHE works wonders. Oh and dont chase cruisers that are at close to your range max. With your shell flight time you are not hitting anyone remotely competent.

orange juche posted:

Run Mike flags and make sure you have your speed set to full ahead. The range upgrade pushes the Cleveland out to 14.4k and the improved turret rotation and HP from the hull upgrade makes the Cleveland much better. As always, stock ships are generally dogshit.
Gun upgrade makes rotation worse but improves firepower by 25%.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I liked the Maass in general. It's spotting takes some getting used to, but once you have a feel for what you can get away with, it's a solid boat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Am I wrong for liking the Hood above all other ships?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Am I wrong for liking the Hood above all other ships?

It is very tanky, having experimented with it, but the guns are very underwhelming: same armament as the tier 6 Warspite but much less accurate with less pen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

It is very tanky, having experimented with it, but the guns are very underwhelming: same armament as the tier 6 Warspite but much less accurate with less pen.

But the speed. My God she can run.

Also I bought ten Santa boxes and got three premium DDs (Okhotnik, Anshan, and Loyang), a year of premium, and 2000 gold.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I need advice, how do I become good again in DDs in ranked. Look how everything is starting to turn to poo poo the higher I get in ranked.

Day 1 - The Happy Times

Day 2 - This is fine

Day 3 - Stalemate

After losing several games I started messing around with other ships and only got worse. After switching to the NC I managed to make some progress again and hit rank 9 today.

The Kidd just does not click for me in ranked, I can't poke caps with it the way I do in the Loyang and the extra firepower tempts me into overextending, trying to get a fast 1vs1 victory for an early advantage, which usually fails. Kutuzov is a ship that I'm rather good with, in normal games, the 3 times I tried it in ranked pretty much everything went wrong, early spotted, bad positioning on my part, getting hit while in smoke. Enterprise is fun and punishes German BBs hard if your bombers get through, after playing 2 strong rounds and not getting a win I stopped trying. And those Tirpitz/Radar Edin games were just brainfarts.

What's the secret to ranked DD gameplay and high xp after hitting rank 12-10 ??

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

:shrug:

I'm generally a decent enough DD player. I still need to Get Good at RPF and I haven't quite grasped the arc of my Benson's guns ( that I got yesterday ), but whatever. I do OK.

I suck and fail a lot in Ranked because you get punished for doing what's right in Random.

If you push a cap, you will be radared. You will be shot. Due to the pool of ships, it is very possible to end up with a lovely dice roll where your team gets no utility, and now you're fighting blind while the enemy pounds you from smoke.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

Stop putting yourself into positions where you can't easily escape if you're spotted.

Stop taking risks if you don't have a support ship 5~8km behind you. Assume your team can't aim. This is a very safe assumption.

Stop getting into fights you know you can win if you're going to suffer appreciable damage.

Identify the Typhoon 1 players and try to work with them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Insert name here posted:

I mean if you're that mad at it why not just do the "hit enemy BBs 250 times with main guns in a cruiser" mission twice instead? :shrug:

I did it eventually, actually accomplished both those at once pretty much.

I was initially trying to do them in my Murmansk figuring it has an insane fire rate and that way I could knock those missions out of the park in a jiffy, but it's also made of wet tissue paper so the second it gets spotted it gets blasted out of the water.

I swapped to my Graf Spee and everything went a lot better despite the greatly slower fire rate.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Today even my NC win rate tanked and went to 45%. And I have no idea what I could do different to at least save stars.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I still have no loving earthly idea what the gently caress Wargaming were thinking by "fixing" US carriers. I made the mistake of jumping into a PVP game with my Independence. Their carrier was a Ryujo.

I had -- as is now the only option -- one squadron of each plane type. Their carrier had three fighter squadrons AND strike aircraft. And sadly he wasn't a complete idiot who sat his planes in place waiting for strafes so there wasn't much I could do about that game.

And apparently it's only going to get worse with the Ranger.

I kinda think "one side can just click on poo poo and win, the other has to try and land AOE attacks on fast moving targets to stand any chance of competing" is kinda hosed design philosophy.

E: Sorry, I just sound like a ranting lunatic here, but I really enjoyed carriers in lower tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 25, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I still have no loving earthly idea what the gently caress Wargaming were thinking by "fixing" US carriers. I made the mistake of jumping into a PVP game with my Independence. Their carrier was a Ryujo.

I had -- as is now the only option -- one squadron of each plane type. Their carrier had three fighter squadrons AND strike aircraft. And sadly he wasn't a complete idiot who sat his planes in place waiting for strafes so there wasn't much I could do about that game.

And apparently it's only going to get worse with the Ranger.

E: and I kinda think "one side can just click on poo poo and win, the other has to try and land AOE attacks on fast moving targets to stand any chance of competing" is kinda hosed design philosophy.

I think the problem comes down to the ease of deplaning and the high skill disparity that CVs have, especially when the best loadouts require massive amounts of micromanagement with 6 squadrons milling about.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Blindeye posted:

I think the problem comes down to the ease of deplaning and the high skill disparity that CVs have, especially when the best loadouts require massive amounts of micromanagement with 6 squadrons milling about.

Actually the problem is that having CVs this game is just stupid period

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Sometimes I wonder if it would work better like Battlestations, have aircraft be fully player-controlled instead of lovely RTS-lite.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've got the Queen Elizabeth and the Bayern pretty much unlocked, but I can't decide between them. I really like both British and German battleships!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm maybe semi-decent in CVs, but I always lose situational awareness when I have to do a strike. And in the meantime either my fighters get shredded or my second squadron or something.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The problem with balancing the US CVs is that it doesn't really work unless you also rebalance the Japanese CVs.

The problem with CV balance in general is:

1) Dumb gimmick CVs like the Graf or Saipan or Kaga that tend to have some dumb gimmick which fucks things up
2) Trying to make CVs unique instead of making them balanced.
3) Not really providing CVs any real incentive to play the air-to-air game, aside from 'gently caress you'.
4) Players not in CVs have no really meaningful skill-based mechanisms to deal with planes. If your CV goes to sleep, or Warbeasties, there is very little you can do about planes. If ever you end up in a situation where your high-tier carrier is bad, and the enemy's is GOOD, you will almost certainly lose.

Also the UI is dumb.

I feel really bad whenever I have to point out that somehow Navy Field did carriers better and Navy Field was run by the dumbest people I have ever had to deal with.

Of course, Navy Field also let you stack all the worst people on the enemy team so that was pretty great. Imagine if you could kick all the pubbie BB/CV players onto the enemy team and stack like 15 goons onto your own.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'd say steel ocean's cv mechanic works well enough. Players have control of their aa while carriers are able to choose their personal loadout.

Optionally, just weaken planes as a whole and give them infinite planes but with squadron counts matching thw hangar sizes. Since that is pretty much how it ran in ww2 anyway. sometimes it was staggered into a wave 1 and wave 2, but the whole hangar of planes were active in engagements.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

3) Not really providing CVs any real incentive to play the air-to-air game, aside from 'gently caress you'.

They should have some kind of air supremacy factor to CV income, like a basic version could just be if the enemy CV does more damage than you your income is reduced proportionally to the difference. But better yet, they should take the WoWP system where each class has their own task-based income and factor in A2A in a big way. Planes example:

Ship classes already have different incomes, they just to make them more visible and could tweak CVs to make shooting down other planes and protecting your side more rewarding.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Given how poo poo tying exp to class-based mechanics can be in WoWP, let's not. Or bluntly, if you happen to be playing ground attack (or presumably a bomber), and it's a low cap map that your team takes a majority of early, WG has a message for you - get hosed.

That said, varying how much certain things give in terms of exp would be nice.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

I got an atlanta from one of the santa crates, and it's my new favorite boat.

Never ever stop shooting (including when some DD decides to hug me).

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Nobody expects the full AA Sims!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

4) Players not in CVs have no really meaningful skill-based mechanisms to deal with planes. If your CV goes to sleep, or Warbeasties, there is very little you can do about planes. If ever you end up in a situation where your high-tier carrier is bad, and the enemy's is GOOD, you will almost certainly lose.

Yup. People talk about maneuvering and such, but that doesn't do poo poo against someone dropping a spread of torpedoes so close to your boat they explode a millisecond after arming. It's happened to me numerous times.

I dunno, I find a lot about carriers very frustrating in general. When I'm playing a carrier, after ships start to have good AA (tier 6 - 7) my planes can get erased from the sky in the blink of an eye, and I'm basically stuck waiting around and hoping someone destroys enough of someone's AA for me to be able to strike effectively. And there's really no way of me knowing if that has happened, so it's frustrating guesswork, the penalty of which is me not being able to do poo poo for a minute or so.

When I'm NOT playing a carrier, as you say, I rarely feel like I have any real say in whether or not I get hit. I can dodge and weave but if the carrier player is good (or RNG is on their side for dive bombers) I'm getting hit. This is also immensely frustrating when you're playing a carrier and feel like your hands are tied. If your enemy has three fighter squadrons to your one, you're going to have a very bad day unless the enemy player is extremely bad or you're extremely good.

All in all as much as I enjoy the general RTS feel of playing carriers, I think they should be (but won't be) overhauled significantly.

E:

How about my earlier question, though. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the Queen Elizabeth vs. the Bayern? Does either line turn to poo poo later on and should be avoided at all costs?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
German BBs are the least funnest BBs atm with few exceptions, and are the most problematic BBs to play when up-tiered.

The QE is a uhhhh hosed and mediocre but the KGV gets good and the Monarch is OK. The British line culminates in the Conq which is broke as gently caress and still OP.