Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think we can all agree that Beato is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sefal posted:

I think we can all agree that Beato is the best.
Lol just lol if you're implying anyone but Ronove is the best.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the Corpse Party info.

Hopefully this is fine to discuss here since I can't imagine it won't be All-Ages with a lot of the hot garbage rightfully purged from it, Nasu is such a household name that he doesn't need to rely on skeevier content anymore: has anyone heard anything about the Tsukihime remake since, like, 2016, or are we just going to assume that's dead in the water thanks to popular mobage Fate/Gravy Train?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Thanks for the Corpse Party info.

Hopefully this is fine to discuss here since I can't imagine it won't be All-Ages with a lot of the hot garbage rightfully purged from it, Nasu is such a household name that he doesn't need to rely on skeevier content anymore: has anyone heard anything about the Tsukihime remake since, like, 2016, or are we just going to assume that's dead in the water thanks to popular mobage Fate/Gravy Train?

As far as I can tell, the latest news is that he still intends to make it and it still has no particular release date.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
I just finished the True route (and all side-routes, of course) of Chaos;Child, and I know I've gone on about it for awhile, but holy poo poo it really nailed the ending.

Here are my initial thoughts (minor, general spoilers about the structure of the VN):

The first forced ending is absolutely the most frenetic route, and it delivers an extremely high-quality story, excellent twists and it contains the game's climax. Once you get to about Chapter 7, the game really leans in hard on the action and drama, and the roller-coaster doesn't stop until the end. The upside of this is that you don't have to wait until the True Ending to get to the best parts of the game; the downside is that if you expect the side-routes or True Ending to top the first ending, you may be disappointed. All-in-all, you could just play to the first forced ending and then never play any of the other routes and still walk away with many of your questions answered, and having received a somewhat satisfying ending. Obviously, I would seriously not recommend doing this, but my point is that it would be enjoyable enough by itself.

As far as the side-routes, they were all fun to play, added to characters and are all extremely different. Nono Kurusu's route is the stand-out among them, while Hinae Arimura's is probably the weakest, though it has some seriously unexpected dark moments and is still fun. The generally accepted order for doing the side-routes is
(potential spoilers, probably don't read this next sentence unless you've played the main route)Arimura, Kazuki, Uki and finally Kurusu, an order that I encourage you to stick to.

Minor structural spoilers for True Ending:

Regarding theTrue Ending, I really think it caps off the game wonderfully, and it has several of its own important and well-executed twists. I appreciated that it didn't try to reset or disregard the events of the rest of the game in order to have a happy ending, and while the ending isn't what I would call a downer, it's also not entirely positive. It does an excellent job at putting a cherry on top of the story, and I thought that it really reinforced the various themes that are so central to Chaos;Child as a story. Its twists (one in particular) do a good job of making you reprocess past events, and certain lines of dialogue and character actions will make more sense to you. Thankfully, it doesn't go out of its way to highlight the events that you might view differently after the twist, and largely leaves it up to you. I could see some people thinking that the main twist was unnecessary or didn't add too much to the game, but I very much disagree. It's certainly not the same kind of revelations that are found in the main route, but if you're thinking thematically I think you'll be quick to understand why it makes sense and what it adds to the story.

Also, for those who've played Steins;Gate (minor S;G + C;C spoilers), the True Ending explores the Committee much more than other routes and the Committee is directly/indirectly responsible for much of what happens in C;C. If you really want some extra info on what else the Committee has been getting into, you will probably appreciate it.

I really can't recommend C;C enough, it's been a complete pleasure and it really does a lot of excellent, interesting things in the 50-70 hours it takes to experience it. I was enthusiastic about C;C before playing the side-routes and True Ending, but wasn't sure if the rest of the game would let me down; now that I've seen everything it has to offer, I have no reservations. If you like S;G, or any of the Science Adventure VN's, playing C;C is a no-brainer. In fact, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys VNs (or even people who haven't played a VN but enjoy reading, though I doubt anyone reading this is in that category), with the exception of people who really cannot handle occasional gore, or people who for some reason just object strongly to playing such a long VN (It took me two months to finish it, whew).

Now to wait for someone else to finish it so that I can actually discuss the story itself...

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 21, 2017

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

So....if I've never played Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, would Chaos;Child make sense to me? When it comes to VNs I've pretty much only played Dangan Ronpa, Zero Escape, The Letter, and Root Double.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Akarshi posted:

So....if I've never played Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, would Chaos;Child make sense to me? When it comes to VNs I've pretty much only played Dangan Ronpa, Zero Escape, The Letter, and Root Double.

Yeah, it stands on its own.

But also, play Steins;Gate.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Akarshi posted:

Yep, entirely standalone. There are references to S;G and C;H, but C;C has entirely different characters and explains everything you need to know about C;H.

Avoid the C;H and C;C anime, they're awful and only spoil the VNs. The C;H VN wasn't very good, but the anime is truly awful, so don't feel like you're missing anything by ignoring it.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well, Fata Morgana is on sale so I guess I'm finally picking it up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Have fun, do a door a day

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Fata Morgana is really good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chaos Child is on sale if you're from a euro PSN region. S;G and probably Zero also.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I haven't played Chaos;Child yet, but it's a real shame they went with such stereotypical looking character designs, rather than something like Steins;Gate's art (which I thought was really neat/unique, especially with the whole "marbled" thing going on). Chaos;Child's characters look like some defaults from a "build your own VN" program or something.

It's great to hear that the story is apparently good, though. Gives me something else to do once I finish Xenoblade 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm currently going through Fata Morgana at a slow pace and enjoying it greatly, so I'm not going to get C;C any time soon. But since it's the current topic, when I do look into it in the future, the Vita version will be fine, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I started C;C last night. That's...uhhhh...quite the opening scene.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

someone post your steam profile so i can friend you and give you fata morgana for xmas, this will be my yearly ritual

i think they hosed up steam gifting so you might need to be in the US like me?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 23, 2017

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

lets hang out posted:

someone post your steam profile so i can friend you and give you fata morgana for xmas, this will be my yearly ritual

i think they hosed up steam gifting so you might need to be in the US like me?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/numerrik/ I’d appreciate it, I am unemployed this season, but I could use something for after C;C.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you gotta accept my friend request

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 23, 2017

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't played Chaos;Child yet, but it's a real shame they went with such stereotypical looking character designs, rather than something like Steins;Gate's art (which I thought was really neat/unique, especially with the whole "marbled" thing going on). Chaos;Child's characters look like some defaults from a "build your own VN" program or something.

It's great to hear that the story is apparently good, though. Gives me something else to do once I finish Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, there's really not much to say about the character art. It's high-quality and differentiates each character well, but it's also very generic. However, there's one moment in the game where different, extremely disturbing character art is used, and the disconnect between the usual clean, generic character art and the disturbing art really freaked me out. Even while fast-forwarding through the game after already seeing that scene, it startled me.

You'll absolutely know it when you see it, and I'm curious to see if it's as effective on other people.

AlternateNu posted:

I started C;C last night. That's...uhhhh...quite the opening scene.

I really appreciate the fact that the story gets going immediately. The next few chapters are admittedly much slower (world/character!-building), but it throws in enough interesting scenes to keep you interested. Pretty much as soon as I started really wanting something big to happen, it did. Hope you enjoy the ride

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 23, 2017

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I'm currently going through Fata Morgana at a slow pace and enjoying it greatly, so I'm not going to get C;C any time soon. But since it's the current topic, when I do look into it in the future, the Vita version will be fine, right?

I think it should be. Obviously it won't look quite as nice as it does on an HDTV, but as just mentioned, C;C isn't critically reliant on detailed visuals (though its high-budget means that you get a lot of effects and interesting ways of simulating character motion), and it's not like the art is a feast for the senses that would suffer from a smaller screen. All of the visual stuff it adds should be handled well by a Vita.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 23, 2017

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

lets hang out posted:

you gotta accept my friend request

Friended, friend.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

how is the Psycho Pass visual novel? I'm halfway thru the show and i think it's 'alright'

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

how is the Psycho Pass visual novel? I'm halfway thru the show and i think it's 'alright'

I played the beginning and it seems competent, though it didn't really draw me in that much. Honestly, that wasn't because it was bad, just for whatever reason it didn't grip me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's pretty much the Psycho-Pass experience

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I just got the House in Fata Morgana artbook for Christmas. It's super pretty, high quality, and I haven't seen almost all of this art before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I just got the House in Fata Morgana artbook for Christmas. It's super pretty, high quality, and I haven't seen almost all of this art before.
I didn't even know there was an artbook. Is there anything particularly interesting in there?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also why are you getting Christmas presents early

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, today was when various family members could be here, so we had our festivities now.

As for the contents, there's a decent bit of everyone with a larger focus on Michelle, Giselle, and Morgana, and a few very cute shots from after the epilogue. It's mostly full color CG works, only a couple pages look like sketches or concept art. It's available on Mangagamer's website for $50 + tax and shipping. I don't know if I should link their website, since a lot of the content there is definitely not all ages.

E: If you meant information-wise, the only text in the book is an index page that isn't translated.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2017

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Got $50 $32 on steam. Definitely getting Fata Morgana Got Fata Morgana but I’m unsure how to spend the rest. Anything like Higurashi/DDLC where there’s something sinister or mystery-like beneath the surface? I’m familiar with Umineko so I’m looking for something other than that.

SubaHibi is something but it requires the 18+ patch and I usually play these remoted in from work so NSFW is not a good idea. :(

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 25, 2017

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Irritated Goat posted:

SubaHibi is something but it requires the 18+ patch and I usually play these remoted in from work so NSFW is not a good idea. :(

I wouldn't recommend it anyway, at least not if you're looking for a satisfying mystery. It resorts to some pretty contrived plot devices to keep information hidden from the player, and even then you'll probably have figured out all the major twists by around halfway through.

Looking at your post history in the thread, it seems like most of the things I'd recommend are things you've already played. Maybe SeaBed will be good? I haven't played it yet but it sounds promising.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing Chaos;Child and the very beginning made me actually sick to my stomach. I am not good with this sort of gore, and if anything having it described is worse than seeing it. Now someone started knocking on this vocalist's door and I'm just like "mm sounds like time to take a break."

edit: So (honestly this is from literally 20 minutes into the game, but spoiled just in case)I had heard some people criticizing the main character, but it seems transparently obvious from the very beginning that the reader isn't supposed to think this guy is correct or treat him like a self-insert. Like, it even shows him mocking people for not appreciating deep anime themes and then getting upset about his favorite character being written out.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 27, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ytlaya posted:

So I started playing Chaos;Child and the very beginning made me actually sick to my stomach. I am not good with this sort of gore, and if anything having it described is worse than seeing it. Now someone started knocking on this vocalist's door and I'm just like "mm sounds like time to take a break."

edit: So (honestly this is from literally 20 minutes into the game, but spoiled just in case)I had heard some people criticizing the main character, but it seems transparently obvious from the very beginning that the reader isn't supposed to think this guy is correct or treat him like a self-insert. Like, it even shows him mocking people for not appreciating deep anime themes and then getting upset about his favorite character being written out.

I'm about two hours in and all the main characters annoy the poo poo out of me, and not in a fun quirky kind of way. The reason Okabe is so good in early Steins;Gate is because of how he bounces off people that either ignore him (Daru) or call him out on his chuunibyou behavior (Kurisu).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is Chaos Child as graphic as 999's text could be?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know if "graphic" is the right word; it's more the nature of the situation that made me nauseous.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm about two hours in and all the main characters annoy the poo poo out of me, and not in a fun quirky kind of way. The reason Okabe is so good in early Steins;Gate is because of how he bounces off people that either ignore him (Daru) or call him out on his chuunibyou behavior (Kurisu).

While I don't exactly like the main character (I really liked Okabe for more or less the reasons you say), it's a relief to know that he isn't one of the "misanthrope who the reader/viewer is supposed to relate to and approve of" protagonists that have been so common in WNs/LNs these days. Dude comes off as realistically edgy in a kind of dumb teenager sorta way, and it's obvious that the reader isn't supposed to approve of his opinions.

edit: As a side comment, playing a VN on my fancy new 50 inch 4k television is a weird experience. I've only ever played these things on the PC, so it's weird to see everything on such a big screen.

edit2: Are "PokeComs" from that Robotics;Notes game?

edit3: Question - why do voices sometimes come out of my PS4 controller? Is that supposed to indicate something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 27, 2017

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Re: some Fata Morgana stuff, uh, later in the game I think? not sure if drunkposting is still frowned upon but I played a few hours and unlocked the 6th door and some of this poo poo hit me REALLY loving HARD. Giselle getting repeatedly raped, then tortured by the village dude who rescued her was brutal. Then reconciling with Michel just to see him killed like earlier, ugh. God I'm depressed as gently caress right now. Sorry I don't have anything else useful to add, I'm just gonna play Slime Rancher and try to cheer up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahah, the delusion in Chaos;Child where the protagonist randomly imagines his buddy flipping out and choking his childhood friend to death because she brought him the wrong kind of sandwich is hilarious. Actually lol'd.

I'm in chapter 2 now and enjoying this a good deal, though it's the sort of thing where I feel like the resolution to the mystery will retroactively make the rest of it either good or bad. Like, Zero Time Dilemma is a good example of a game I was enjoying a lot as I played it trusting that it would have a good/satisfying resolution, and when it didn't it retroactively soured me on the whole experience (I still overall enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as 999/VLR). For the time being though, the mystery in C;C is pretty interesting and I feel compelled to keep "turning the pages," so to speak.

It's a nice quality of life feature that this game auto-saves before every single delusion trigger point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 27, 2017

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hahahah, the delusion in Chaos;Child where the protagonist randomly imagines his buddy flipping out and choking his childhood friend to death because she brought him the wrong kind of sandwich is hilarious. Actually lol'd.

I'm in chapter 2 now and enjoying this a good deal, though it's the sort of thing where I feel like the resolution to the mystery will retroactively make the rest of it either good or bad. Like, Zero Time Dilemma is a good example of a game I was enjoying a lot as I played it trusting that it would have a good/satisfying resolution, and when it didn't it retroactively soured me on the whole experience (I still overall enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as 999/VLR). For the time being though, the mystery in C;C is pretty interesting and I feel compelled to keep "turning the pages," so to speak.

It's a nice quality of life feature that this game auto-saves before every single delusion trigger point.

Yeah, that negative delusion is by far the funniest one. Just FYI, I'd recommend choosing negative delusions more than positive, since they won't affect your first ending and the positive ones tend to be very similar (weird/sexual/etc).

Not sure about the voices coming out of the controller, I never really figured out why some lines did that and others didnt.

Also, as far as the main character, his negative traits are definitely front-loaded in my experience. I don't really remember him making any eye-roll worthy comments about anime appreciation later on. For the person who finds the characters irritating in the beginning, it's really just meant to establish the most general traits of each character, and the superfluous stuff gets mostly left behind as soon as they get seriously involved with the mysteries. Personally I found the characters vaguely likeable initially, and by the end I'd say they're all more or less developed. Takuru is my favorite VN protag.

I really think they handle the reveal of the mysteries well, and the game never had that "oh, THAT'S what happened" point after which the story mattered less to me. By the time it answers all the questions that originally draw you in, I was so fully invested in the characters and story that it didn't make me feel like the best parts were over.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 27, 2017

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Re: Umineko. If I buy the Question Arcs bundle (currently 40% off on Steam) and the Answer Arcs bundle, is that the entire game?

Sorry if this a stupid question, but googling brings up so many iterations of Umineko that I want to be sure. Thanks.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hepcat posted:

Re: Umineko. If I buy the Question Arcs bundle (currently 40% off on Steam) and the Answer Arcs bundle, is that the entire game?

Sorry if this a stupid question, but googling brings up so many iterations of Umineko that I want to be sure. Thanks.

Yep! Enjoy, and always remember that witches exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
To whoever was asking about Psycho Pass - the Vita version is free with PS+ in January.