Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really hope this is the year we get a decent FM version and I can get back to this game stealing my loving life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Sure am glad to see that players still want to leave to join a club for Champions League football despite us being the team that knocked them out in the group stages

e. we actually did end up missing out and he decided that he wanted to stay and help us qualify next season lmao

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 20, 2017

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Why is it that every time I load my game half my regens have changed skin colour?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Political correctness gone mad op

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Why is it that every time I load my game half my regens have changed skin colour?

I'm more confused by my fake players save. Profile pic=bald white guy / 3D match=black guy with blond hair.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41966203

Kind of a sad story behind Champ Manager legend Tonton Zola Moukoko.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Stotty posted:

It's the greatest ever footballer name.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

As a former researcher I find the way he talks up the database ridiculous.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I loved the data error line for cherno samba like all youth products on that game are pretty much a coin flip on how much potential you give them.

Not sure if it was you sassassin or someone else who gave an insight into how its done but apparently they assign each team a data range for their top 16 players which shows how its never going to accurately reflect what may happen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're given an upper limit for your star players and a CA16 number and as long as you don't exceed those you don't hear a peep out of your Head (there's a PL guy, a Football League guy, and then the rest of the world is a weird assortment of regional groups).

Or at least I didn't. The Stoke researcher would always compliment the PL guy on the feedback he got but then he'd also manage to have Ryan Shawcross wanted by Barca every single year. Dude needed the help.

Maybe I was just insanely good at it but the only errors I had to respond to from beta periods were about Jefferson Montero and Franck Tabanou not being considered good enough for their positions and what do you know, my man Garry Monk completely agreed with me irl and they barely got a kick that season.

For youth products as long as you don't stick a -9 or -10 on someone no one notices, either. My -8s are sitting on the bench at Boro and got sent home from Shrewsbury this season.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

XBenedict posted:

It's the greatest ever footballer name.
how quickly we forget

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

St Evan Echoes posted:

how quickly we forget

Best possible sponsor too.
Choice cropping on the photo.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I don't really understand why, but Porto just came in with a non-negotiable offer of $90 million for one of my Portuguese teenage wonderkids, who I'd signed for under a mil 18 months earlier. He'd made a total of 5 first team appearances ever and was maybe my 5th best young forward???? Now he's their record signing sitting on their bench and I don't get it, they'd signed an ancient Kompany for peanuts from me about 2 weeks earlier and I guess maybe it was a package deal of sorts?

Here's the kid in question:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Your other 4 young forwards must be insane.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

In retrospect he's probably my equal 3rd but these other three were showing more signs of development and had impressed more in their first team cameos:

Slawula is my 2nd choice striker now, he's a bit streaky but can bang in some absolute rippers. He and Fernandes cost me a combined $1.5 mil up front too, both recommended by my scouting team which imo is actually a really good new feature in this years game

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Well, that looks really overpowered. Nice.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How the gently caress do you get youth so cheap? They won't sign with me upon generation and than like a few months later they are all a few million

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Waroduce posted:

How the gently caress do you get youth so cheap? They won't sign with me upon generation and than like a few months later they are all a few million

I paid 10 mil for De Bonis and 6 for Smith, but I've found that Portuguese regens can be bought for insanely cheap on the reg so far in this years game. Also structuring deals with payments on scoring 50+ league goals and becoming established internationals lets you get them cheap up front and then pay if they actually turn out good. I kinda regretted having a 30% profit sell-on clause for Fernandes cos I ended up having to pay $20 mil to Estoril but tbh when I'm turning a 90+ mil profit on a player I can't be that mad

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 30, 2017

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Man, don't i love it when i go into January top of the board, and then suddenly my guys can't make a pass to save their lives and the same teams i beat up on earlier in the season are all suddenly cutting me apart no matter what i change my tactics to. Anyone have advice for dealing with this BS?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nick Esasky posted:

Man, don't i love it when i go into January top of the board, and then suddenly my guys can't make a pass to save their lives and the same teams i beat up on earlier in the season are all suddenly cutting me apart no matter what i change my tactics to. Anyone have advice for dealing with this BS?

It's the AI finally hitting the form you've had since pre-season. Apart from that no I do not

Perhaps it's your tactics?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Nick Esasky posted:

its your tactics, mate

club rep in the engine gets re-assessed at jan iirc so it makes teams play differently against you, and you play differently against other teams. have a different formation for the first few weeks after jan, grind out some results and keep the players morale up and in a month or so you'll be able to go back to how it was all season up until them. i tend to drop to a back 5 and play slower and safer but just changing up the tempo and going either really safe possesion football or route one works well enough

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Nick Esasky posted:

Yes I'm dealing with this too, but it's manifesting in my players suddenly becoming completely unable to defend corners; no matter what I do, they all just stand stock-still wherever they're assigned and let the opposition stroll unmarked into the space. I've drawn or lost five games in a row and every single goal has been from a corner. Have changed the routine around to no avail. So annoying!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

It's the AI finally hitting the form you've had since pre-season. Apart from that no I do not

Bogan Krkic posted:

club rep in the engine gets re-assessed at jan iirc so it makes teams play differently against you, and you play differently against other teams. have a different formation for the first few weeks after jan, grind out some results and keep the players morale up and in a month or so you'll be able to go back to how it was all season up until them. i tend to drop to a back 5 and play slower and safer but just changing up the tempo and going either really safe possesion football or route one works well enough

It's both these things. The ai can't run preseason for poo poo so the first half a season is easy mode if you do yours well.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

It's both these things. The ai can't run preseason for poo poo so the first half a season is easy mode if you do yours well.

How should we be using the pre season? I tend to accept the return date it accepts then let my assman run the friendlies. I don't even tend to gently caress with training much. And I usually start slowly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

How should we be using the pre season? I tend to accept the return date it accepts then let my assman run the friendlies. I don't even tend to gently caress with training much. And I usually start slowly.

After the first season it doesn't really matter, as you'll already have a decent amount of tactical familiarity built up. 4-5 weeks of random games is usually fine.

When you start a new game you need 10-12 games using one tactic to get familiarity up to 100%. Do that and you can stomp September to January. Have a game every three days with no rest and max out tactical team training focus. Keep the squad fairly small so it learns faster, don't use too many brand new signings who need time to adapt.

There's a loading screen that says to do fitness training in preseason. The game lies, and wants you to fail. Working on physical attributes provides no meaningful benefit compared to getting tactics sorted.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Oh you don't need to do 10-15 games every preseason? I usually set up games every 3 days and heavily rotate my squad through every year. Maybe I'll go with a lighter routine unless I add a bunch of players or something

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

After the first season it doesn't really matter, as you'll already have a decent amount of tactical familiarity built up. 4-5 weeks of random games is usually fine.

When you start a new game you need 10-12 games using one tactic to get familiarity up to 100%. Do that and you can stomp September to January. Have a game every three days with no rest and max out tactical team training focus. Keep the squad fairly small so it learns faster, don't use too many brand new signings who need time to adapt.

There's a loading screen that says to do fitness training in preseason. The game lies, and wants you to fail. Working on physical attributes provides no meaningful benefit compared to getting tactics sorted.

Ah yeah makes sense. I always try to get my tactical familiarity up in the first pre season. It's after that I was hoping for some tips. I tend to start poorly (probably because I tend to make too many changes to my squad; mostly by selling stars and letting kids take their place, and it takes a while for kids to hit their stride) so I was hoping for a way to come storming out the gates.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After buying every year from CM 3 on I stopped at FM 14. Of all things, reading about the FA Cup draw and remembering the eternal hope of drawing a PL team away and instead drawing Chester City at home as a LLM made me want to play again. Seems like enough years have passed that it's worth buying the new version.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

KDdidit posted:

After buying every year from CM 3 on I stopped at FM 14. Of all things, reading about the FA Cup draw and remembering the eternal hope of drawing a PL team away and instead drawing Chester City at home as a LLM made me want to play again. Seems like enough years have passed that it's worth buying the new version.

Every new version is worth it. The +1 to game title alone is huge!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Masonity posted:

Ah yeah makes sense. I always try to get my tactical familiarity up in the first pre season. It's after that I was hoping for some tips. I tend to start poorly (probably because I tend to make too many changes to my squad; mostly by selling stars and letting kids take their place, and it takes a while for kids to hit their stride) so I was hoping for a way to come storming out the gates.

I schedule enough games to have the players up to at least 90% match fitness, and then have the last preseason game against some poo poo non-league team to run up a cricket score and get everyone's morale up, seems to work well enough

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I schedule enough games to have the players up to at least 90% match fitness, and then have the last preseason game against some poo poo non-league team to run up a cricket score and get everyone's morale up, seems to work well enough

Yeah high morale's always a performance boost. There's no value in difficult friendly games, pound on some scrubs in preseason (and during international breaks if you've got enough of a squad around).

You might need an intensive preseason between seasons if you make a lot of new signings or are changing tactics dramatically, but even then your players will have some tactical familiarity in some aspects of the system, as opposed to the complete blank slate new careers start off with.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

sassassin posted:

Yeah high morale's always a performance boost. There's no value in difficult friendly games, pound on some scrubs in preseason (and during international breaks if you've got enough of a squad around).

You might need an intensive preseason between seasons if you make a lot of new signings or are changing tactics dramatically, but even then your players will have some tactical familiarity in some aspects of the system, as opposed to the complete blank slate new careers start off with.

Yeah that blank slate is a really strange way to start.

Whats 4-4-2 boss? Never heard of that.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Well I bought it and I must be old now because I don't have the time or patience to start in the Conference South anymore. RIP old Dartford, Braintree, Concord, Bradford Park Ave, and Aldershot saves. I'll figure out the new stuff as it comes up, but is there anything that works completely different than I'd expect from not playing since 14?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I just had one of my cool young strikers come back from a season on loan in Ligue 2 where he scored nearly a goal a game, and then head off to the 2022 World Cup where he made his international debut for Croatia, get named top scorer and best youngster at the World Cup, score the winner in the final for Croatia, and yet manage to miss out on being in the World Cup Dream Team???? And now I've got to find a spot for him in my line-up when previously I'd been getting ready to send him out to a top division club somewhere to see how he went. I also had Reece Oxford score 4 in 6 at the World Cup and get named player of the tournament. My Chelsea project of buying all the worlds best youngsters is really working out

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah that blank slate is a really strange way to start.

Whats 4-4-2 boss? Never heard of that.

Honestly this year new saves seem to start off with a decent level of tactical familiarity for me, rather than the blank slate that was in previous years. It's just harder to tell because now it appears to be tracked by player rather than in general, so if you have a tactic selected but haven't chosen your starting 11 yet, tactical familiarity will show as blank.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I just had one of my cool young strikers come back from a season on loan in Ligue 2 where he scored nearly a goal a game, and then head off to the 2022 World Cup where he made his international debut for Croatia, get named top scorer and best youngster at the World Cup, score the winner in the final for Croatia, and yet manage to miss out on being in the World Cup Dream Team???? And now I've got to find a spot for him in my line-up when previously I'd been getting ready to send him out to a top division club somewhere to see how he went. I also had Reece Oxford score 4 in 6 at the World Cup and get named player of the tournament. My Chelsea project of buying all the worlds best youngsters is really working out

Don't base your team selections on international tournaments.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

Don't base your team selections on international tournaments.

I'm going to do it anyway op, I'm sentimental. If it turns out he's poo poo I'll drop him, no qualms about that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

18.2 came out and now all my regens are black dudes except for the ones that have really bizarre disc beards, those are all white. Great job SI.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bogan Krkic posted:

18.2 came out and now all my regens are black dudes except for the ones that have really bizarre disc beards, those are all white. Great job SI.

Most of mine have turned into Gianni Infantino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
It's off 25% should I do it? I've heard some people like the new dynamics and scouting and other people hate it. Also hows the match engine handling things now or are average wing backs still gods like 16/17?