Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yup, I know it from the Cinema Snob and the FLop Houses reviews. I tired to actually watch it but is so loving up its own rear end and just lovely in everyway. The defense of the commercialization of Christmas is really weird because every other christian entertainment is pretty much Peanuts ending. Its about Jesus! Not gameboys! But Cameron is such a prosperity gospel guy that displays of wealth is a sign of gods grace. The house it takes place in angers me so much. its such a McMansion, with its 2 loving fridges. No one needs 2 fridges that isn't a resturant! Then it has enough space for a white person dance party to take up 10 minutes of running time.

I also like how he tells Christian White that Santa was awesome because he killed a bunch of people he didn't agree with! Because that's what all these movies are about, people who don't share your faith should DIE.

I am not surprised Nobby makes off it. What movie is it that the main character's dad wrote a christmas song and he just lives off the royalties? Is that one of the characters in Love Actually?

About a Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
While we're on the topic of American exceptionalism turning the country into a cultural wasteland, here's maybe the best Christmas film of all time, Bernard And The Genie, in full, on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qwZcycfoI

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

While we're on the topic of American exceptionalism turning the country into a cultural wasteland, here's maybe the best Christmas film of all time, Bernard And The Genie, in full, on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qwZcycfoI

Alan Cumming and Lenny Henry? This can't miss!

Edit: And Rowan Atkinson in a terrible false beard!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

this is the worst thread on weekends

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

It's Monday

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AxGrap posted:

do what you want you fat ugly old.

That's the spirit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

This opinion means it's actually very good

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Everyone who doesn't immediately respond with the Muppets Christmas Carol when asked what the best Christmas movie is, is wrong and should be ashamed of themselves :colbert:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sheep-dodger posted:

Everyone who doesn't immediately respond with the Muppets Christmas Carol when asked what the best Christmas movie is, is wrong and should be ashamed of themselves :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Apparently the lead singer calls it his pension fund; it's estimated to make $670,000 in royalties per year

Eat the rich.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sheep-dodger posted:

What we need is a Muppets version of Die Hard to heal this schism

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

I've never heard that song before in my whole life, how could it possibly be that popular?

Jesus mate, you have no idea. British shoppers at christmas are...well...I'm not sure there are words to describe it.
The list of Christmas No.1s in the UK over the last four decades includes the Wombles song, a song about Mr Blobby, and the loving Bob The loving Builder song.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Mickey mouse version is far superior.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

tecnocrat posted:

Alan Cumming and Lenny Henry? This can't miss!

Edit: And Rowan Atkinson in a terrible false beard!

Did you really not know about it? If so, do enjoy, Cumming is amazing, the jokes are amazing, and Atkinson absolutely destroys every scene he's in.

And it's also a genuinely sweet Christmas film. It's basically the perfect movie.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I've always been particular to https://youtu.be/j9jbdgZidu8 come Christmas. It's just... :unsmith:

Shane is not wasted enough in that version, try this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

sheep-dodger posted:

I'm not sure whether the version with or without "The Love is Gone" is better.

Also Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is pretty great.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

i am harry posted:

Jesus mate, you have no idea. British shoppers at christmas are...well...I'm not sure there are words to describe it.
The list of Christmas No.1s in the UK over the last four decades includes the Wombles song, a song about Mr Blobby, and the loving Bob The loving Builder song.

yeah but we also had RATM live on the bbc, playing Killing in the Name when it became Christmas #1. The beeb asking them not to swear, and them getting their mics cut when they didn't give a poo poo, adds to the smashing of the Simon Cowell machine (and all the money went to a good homeless charity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZGUdcBBLc&t=236s

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 26, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Just lol if you listen to any other Xmas songs than Fairytale of New York and Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945437479863291904

Faster than ANYONE anticipated!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
merry christmas all of you!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I see Trump is following the correct Vietnam strategy: do nothing, wait for everyone to forget that nothing's changed, then declare that all objectives are achieved and he can claim victory.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
oof. i just discovered the gbs lol Democrats thread

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ascii genitals posted:

If you don't like A Christmas Story you have bad taste or didn't have a childhood and are incapable of proper nostalgia. If you don't like A Christmas Story you probably have a Donald Trump brand heart.

I watch Scrooged and Die Hard instead. I used to like ACS until one of the local stations started doing a 24 hour marathon of it before the holidays.

Koalas March posted:

The hole on the drivers side is about 6 inches and the one on the passengers side is like a foot and some. This sounds awesome as gently caress. I'll look into it. Thank you!

Hey, KM, try the folks in AI. Keeping things that should by all rights be dead on the road is a passion over there. If you haven't read the Trukk thread, it will enlighten you and entertain.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 26, 2017

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

DJ Trump watches A Christmas Carol and sees Scrooge as an aspirational figure.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

DJ Trump watches A Christmas Carol and sees Scrooge as an aspirational figure.

The ghost of MAGA future

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bronze posted:

oof. i just discovered the gbs lol Democrats thread

Since you mentioned it I went and read a couple pages and it was so incoherent I literally couldn't even figure out what I was supposed to be caring about

they sure do post a lot about hillary though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I spent 10 hours with my MAGA family today and successfully dodged Trump even coming up. Truly a Christmas miracle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

they sure do post a lot about hillary though

Maybe they'd stop posting IF SHE RELEASED HER EMAILS

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Young Freud posted:

It's funny you bring up Saving Christmas because it's bad in unexpected ways: Kirk Cameron defends the commericalization of Christmas. He has a born-again Christian strawman that espouses a stripped down Christmas so he can tear him down.

In case you want to know what happens the System Mastery guys did a podcast review on it.

Lol. System mastery is loving great and expounded universe is fun. Didn’t Cameron get a actress black listed because she did playboy. Anyway my Christmas was great and my girlfriend and parents loved their presents. Merry what’s left of Christmas if you celebrate and happy almost end of holidays for everyone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Medullah posted:

Maybe they'd stop posting IF SHE RELEASED HER EMAILS

The problem is the emails were insufficiently buttered

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Wrong as usual, Arglebargle the third.

The best Christmas song was recorded by a band whose other hits included "Cum on feel the noize" and I won't be convinced otherwise.

So close...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmEfFlbqbbY

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Cumming is amazing

Hell, agreed.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's a wonderful life is a great example of the disconnect between American ideals and America in action.

"Money can't buy happiness! Living a good life for the poor is the path to true riches! Root for the everyman against the greedy real estate capitalist!"

"Let's make Potter president!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is the emails were insufficiently buttered

I am seeing this butter thing, what is it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Where's the followup from a whitehouse official "Donald Trump will come back to work sometime after the new year" because lol him going to work tomorrow.

Also I can't remember the last christmas or even holiday themed movie I've seen. The last movie I've seen besides Star Wars was Pacific Rim so I'm kinda behind on this whole movie thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ularg posted:

Also I can't remember the last christmas or even holiday themed movie I've seen. The last movie I've seen besides Star Wars was Pacific Rim so I'm kinda behind on this whole movie thing.

My sister, her kid and I watched Gremlins and two South Park specials while my dad watched I, Robot. #Family.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

How long is he on vacation?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ascii genitals posted:

If you don't like A Christmas Story you have bad taste or didn't have a childhood and are incapable of proper nostalgia. If you don't like A Christmas Story you probably have a Donald Trump brand heart.

The modern remake of A Christmas Story has Ken Jeong playing the restaurant owner without the racist "fa-ra-ra-ra-ra," which caused many meltdowns and tears on twitter when baby boomer whites watched it.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

I see your Twisted Sister and raise you Merry Axemas, a guitar-centric Christmas album featuring Jeff Beck, Joe Perry, and Steve Morse, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtUufFyPiA

Grapplejack posted:

Hell, agreed.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MAGA roommate who fancies himself a cook / foodie and recently got himself a deep fryer has just unironically plunked down a bottle of ketchup next to his aged ribeye and announced he's having it "Trump style"

He still can't bring himself to cook it more than medium rare though, so there's that.

e: and now he is deep frying a slice of margherita pizza

• Locked thread