Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

It's brutally obvious the Resistance has very minimal forces. They can only do a battle by attrition and survive for now. So hot dogging Poe is a loving moron who got his entire team killed so he could jerk off gloriously having killed a Dreadnought and showed 0 remorse or understanding at what they lost. The man was a loving idiot who would have killed the entire Resistance if he was making decisions and it was right to demote him.

The movie shows what real Rogues are too since Han is glorified. Poe's a glory hound dumbass and Benecio's character does exactly what he needs to in order to survive. He helps but he turns a deal that allows him to live.

Yeah I mean this is my take.

I want to go back to the New Republic.

How did the New Republic. Lead by Mon Mantha, Ackbar, Luke Skywalker, Landon Calrissian, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa fall apart in under 30 years?

I mean compare that list to the leaders of the Republic in the prequels. Their achievements and leadership abilities leave all those other leaders in the loving dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheNewt posted:

How did the New Republic. Lead by Mon Mantha, Ackbar, Luke Skywalker, Landon Calrissian, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa fall apart in under 30 years?

It got blowed up by the mega-deathstar in TFA

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gatts posted:

It's brutally obvious the Resistance has very minimal forces. They can only do a battle by attrition and survive for now. So hot dogging Poe is a loving moron who got his entire team killed so he could jerk off gloriously having killed a Dreadnought and showed 0 remorse or understanding at what they lost. The man was a loving idiot who would have killed the entire Resistance if he was making decisions and it was right to demote him.

Nobody in the movie actually seems to care that those people died, except Rose, for whom it is a plot point. Leia is like “people died!” once and then everyone just moves on. At the end she says “we have everyone we need” so apparently they weren’t that important after all.

Also, if Leia didn’t want the bombers to go out then why didn’t she just...stop it? She’s in charge, right? She lets it happen and then demotes Poe after, but then he does a mutiny and she shoots him, but she and the lady he pointed a gun at both agree that he’s a pretty swell fellow so no biggie.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

and then leia sent out all their remaining pilots to get shot down in a suicide attack across the Salty Plains Hoth 2.0

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Chickenwalker posted:

I've come to the conclusion that people who insist this film are brilliant are either contrarian babies who think it's cool and edgy to say "actually it's good" :smuggo:, not invested fans of the series, or literally brain damaged. It's an objectively bad film. It has nothing to do with what I think it does to the future or past of Star Wars - it's just really, really badly written in a way you just can't ignore.

I have a former co-worker on Facebook who got mad when I said this film felt like it was 7.5 rather than 8, and that they came up with all the cool scenes first and then realized they had to write a movie around them.

They linked me this as a counter-argument.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheNewt posted:

I mean compare that list to the leaders of the Republic in the prequels. Their achievements and leadership abilities leave all those other leaders in the loving dust.

Well, Leia and Mon Mothma are the only ones who are politicians. I don't think Luke, for instance, was involved in running the New Republic if he was off trying to train new Jedi.

I think there's been a book about Leia's political career and how she was discredited when one of her opponents revealed to the public that her father was Darth Vader, but I haven't read it.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

John Dyne posted:

I have a former co-worker on Facebook who got mad when I said this film felt like it was 7.5 rather than 8, and that they came up with all the cool scenes first and then realized they had to write a movie around them.

They linked me this as a counter-argument.

Star Wars: The Woke Awakens

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

trash person posted:

E: Also can’t stop laughing at the phrase ‘invested fans of the series’.

I bought these shares of Star Wars in 1983 and I'll be goddamned if I let Mickey Mouse destroy my retirement!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

trash person posted:

Actually you can ignore it, and many people did.

Here’s my checklist for enjoying a movie like Star Wars.

1. Was it fun and entertaining?

Hey that’s it!

just turn off your brain and let the stimulation flow over you, manchildren!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheNewt posted:

Well I think it has something to do with being a Neoliberal bureaucracy that can't get anything done or improve any situation but I also think disarming themselves while allowing the First Order to exist is pretty up there

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Love will win, not fighting what you hate" as the FO fires a giant loving laser at all your friends

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

"Love will win, not fighting what you hate" as the FO fires a giant loving laser at all your friends

I thought it was more like "fight to save what you love, not to destroy what you hate" rather than "don't fight what you hate". :shrug:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

It's a stupid loving line, anyway, broadcast to centrist libs across the country

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought it was more like "fight to save what you love, not to destroy what you hate" rather than "don't fight what you hate". :shrug:

I think it’s normal to hate something that keeps killing or trying to kill everything you love.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Well I think it has something to do with being a Neoliberal bureaucracy that can't get anything done or improve any situation but I also think disarming themselves while allowing the First Order to exist is pretty up there

Makes zero loving sense once again.

LOL. We built up this whole army to stop Tyranny our entire life career has been military and now we are going to disarm for Zero reason :downs:.

Whoever came up with this poo poo should be shot.

Going out and attacking the at-ats instead of waiting for them to come in was stupid as gently caress military tactics too.

Everything in these films have been stupid tactics to create interesting fight scenes ignoring the fact that it makes the resistance look suicidal and stupid and deserving to die. Jesus. They have zero redeeming qualities. Not one.

TheNewt fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheNewt posted:

Going out and attacking the at-ats instead of waiting for them to come in was stupid as gently caress military tactics too.

I thought they were going out to try to take out the giant gun rather than to attack the walkers.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought they were going out to try to take out the giant gun rather than to attack the walkers.

They shot a tiny rear end hole in the door with that cannon. The walkers still couldn't get through that hole.

It was a dumb plan all around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

They shot a tiny rear end hole in the door with that cannon. The walkers still couldn't get through that hole.

I don't know, even if it was only a little hole, Ren and his stormtroopers could still get through, and there's a lot more of them than there are Resistance guys.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, even if it was only a little hole, Ren and his stormtroopers could still get through, and there's a lot more of them than there are Resistance guys.

Do you understand choke points and defensive battle tactics at all?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheNewt posted:

yeah you goddamn CHILD

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What damned the movie for me was that I watched 2.5 hours of it and came out feeling virtually nothing

Now a day later I can say the entire thing felt like a meandering episode or two of an average sci-fi TV show

E: It really was kind of a miserable, hopeless movie from start to finish

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 25, 2017

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's amazing that a forum where posters literally brag about making GBS threads on centrists in the sub next door can sit here and defend TLJ's blistering hot take of "both sides are bad, actually"

The New Republic can't be saved if people aren't willing to fight for it, but it was doomed even before the Emperor died if people can look at the First Order and say "well, maybe they have their reasons." This is a remarkably grim and hopeless take after the triumph of RotJ.

And then it literally tries to throw in a cute philosophy lesson as the remaining rebels are dying against a force that absolutely does not want to coexist with them in any way whatsoever. After the galaxy they love has abandoned them to their fate, after the film spends an agonizing amount of time detailing how Everything Is poo poo.

Even better, the hope for the future is now implied to be the next generation. Why? Nobody knows yet, but this time We Will Get It Right, unlike those other times, especially that one time 30 years before we allowed the First Order to commit genocide without limit.

For all the admonishments of the past, the blind faith in the "next generation" to fix things is some seriously Gundam levels of stupid. Ironically, given that we're expecting a billion new Star Wars films, that's exactly the path the franchise is aiming itself down: empty philophical treatises on how people "should be", juxtaposed with weak excuses to explain away the newest marketable toys blowing eachother up with the latest in CG artistry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

It's amazing that a forum where posters literally brag about making GBS threads on centrists in the sub next door can sit here and defend TLJ's blistering hot take of "both sides are bad, actually"

The New Republic can't be saved if people aren't willing to fight for it, but it was doomed even before the Emperor died if people can look at the First Order and say "well, maybe they have their reasons." This is a remarkably grim and hopeless take after the triumph of RotJ.

You must have not watched the movie because DJ is the one that goes into that "both sides" rhetoric and his later betrayal convinces Finn not only to continue to fight for the Resistance but almost give his life for it, when he starts the film trying to stow away into an escape pod.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lol wow this did bad this weekend.

68% drop?

People really hate this movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheNewt posted:

nopantsjack posted:

yeah you goddamn CHILD

Well, I played a bit of Star Wars Battlefront back in 2004 but that's about it.

TheNewt posted:

Lol wow this did bad this weekend.

68% drop?

People really hate this movie.

Yeah, I imagine most people who want to see it have seen it already, and because it has bad word of mouth it won't get many repeat viewers as compared with Force Awakens. It will probably fall short of making a billion dollars worldwide, like Batman v Superman did. Somewhere in the region of $900 million seems most probable for its final tally to me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 25, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

trash person posted:

Actually you can ignore it, and many people did.

Here’s my checklist for enjoying a movie like Star Wars.

1. Was it fun and entertaining?

Hey that’s it!

Great username/post combo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Dyne posted:

The big robots are there to be intimidating, which is the absolute first priority for the empire in all situations.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I played a bit of Star Wars Battlefront back in 2004 but that's about it.

Yeah, I imagine most people who want to see it have seen it already, and because it has bad word of mouth it won't get many repeat viewers as compared with Force Awakens. It will probably fall short of making a billion dollars worldwide, like Batman v Superman did. Somewhere in the region of $900 million seems most probable for its final tally to me.

Ah drat, 900 million dollars? What a disaster...

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 25, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

Great username/post combo.

I, too, hate fun and entertainment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

When Episode VII made $2 billion and even Rogue one got above $1 billion? It probably is.

I'm looking at Wikipedia and it says TLJ has done $775 million worldwide. Based on my assumption that most of the people who want to see it have seen it and probably won't see it a second time, then surely there can't be much more than $200 million left for it to make? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 25, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Profitable but disappointing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

It's a stupid loving line, anyway, broadcast to centrist libs across the country

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

AndyElusive posted:

Kyle Ren tried to kill the Mellencamp Falco, it's just really hard to hit and kill hero things when you're a Star Wars bad guy.

"Don't turn around, uh oh! Der Kylo Ren's in town, uh uh oh!"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

"When they go dark side, we go light!" -- completely loses every gain over 30 years

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kurzon posted:

I hope the next trilogy is something like Knights of the Old Republic, set in the early days of the Jedi Order. If nothing else, the technology of the era would be too primitive for these ridiculous mega-constructions. No more Starkiller Bases or mega star destroyers.

Uhh did you actially finish kotor? cause theres a giant mega construct in that too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Doesn't it just make tie fighters out of force juice?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Ammanas posted:

How is "fight to save what you love, not destroy what you hate" a centrist message?

I think Trump just broke your brain. Sorry for you are loss.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

just another posted:

How is "fight to save what you love, not destroy what you hate" a centrist message?

I think Trump just broke your brain. Sorry for you are loss.

She doesn't say "fight to save what you love" she says "Save what you love, not fight what you hate" word for word

Hurr durr stop fighting the genocidal nazis who are about to kill your friends because fighting is bad is a centrist message

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
The message is to be motivated by love (ie. the light side) and not hate (ie. the dark side). This is not a "centrist" message.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Doesn't it just make tie fighters out of force juice?

Yeah but the game sells it as 'if the bad guys control the super weapon they'll conquer the galaxy' AKA its a death star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

She doesn't say "fight to save what you love" she says "Save what you love, not fight what you hate" word for word

Hurr durr stop fighting the genocidal nazis who are about to kill your friends because fighting is bad is a centrist message

she's expressing what's important in the fight, not saying fighting at all is bad

rose is introduced in the movie grieving that a loved one died like a big impressive hero over a pyrrhic victory that ultimately saved no one and her climax is stopping that from happening again

and her faith that saving what's important to you is paramount is rewarded afterwards when between the lessons that luke and poe learned earlier, everyone is saved from what looks like a hopeless situation

• Locked thread