Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I got recently graded for the first time in a couple of years. I got bumped up from no-stripes-blue to four-stripes-blue but my coach said he wouldn't give me a purple until I stopped doing spinneroonies and demonstrated that I knew some fundamentals. WHAT is this BULLSHIT

This... is really really funny. Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I got recently graded for the first time in a couple of years. I got bumped up from no-stripes-blue to four-stripes-blue but my coach said he wouldn't give me a purple until I stopped doing spinneroonies and demonstrated that I knew some fundamentals. WHAT is this BULLSHIT

He can not dig it, Sucka!

Edit -

This isnt really BJJ related but at my gym I am the only person who doesn't speak Korean. So I was pretty impressed by myself this past week when I was able to say "This arm. *points* here" in Korean in a way my training partner understood me.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 23, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This post confuses me

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

This post confuses me

Same same. We at least have a logical stripe progression at my gym. Although, I feel like I'm overdue for my next one... But that's neither here nor there, arbitrary striping and promotion seems kinda weird to me. On some level I understand that a black belt, especially a multiple degree black belt understands when someone is ready for a promotion but what if they have a big gym or multiple instructors and aren't able to really track your improvement?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My gym in the US had no real rhyme or reason to its stripe system. I just assumed most places were arbitrary with their promotions/stripes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

This post confuses me
He’s saying he wants me to spend a few months tapping people by progressively improving position until a submission occurs, instead of initiating confusing scrambles and then catching transitional submissions while people are confused and annoyed.

edit for clarification: our gym’s been a bit chaotic for the past few years and we’ve changed coaches a few times. Last BJJ grading was two years ago, current coach is a freshly minted black belt, and he’s still working out what he wants to see from different belt levels. He essentially had to get 50 people who hadn’t graded in years and work out from scratch where people belonged.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 23, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Unfunny Poster posted:

My gym in the US had no real rhyme or reason to its stripe system. I just assumed most places were arbitrary with their promotions/stripes.

same with mine, although guys who compete a lot get more attention paid to them for obvious reasons.

once I heard my head coach talk about the significance of purple belt it made me realize stripes and white/blue are super unimportant, so I don't care too much about that stuff anymore. It's also why I assume all the purple belts in our gym with multiple stripes have that thousand yard stare going on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He’s saying he wants me to spend a few months tapping people by progressively improving position until a submission occurs, instead of initiating confusing scrambles and then catching transitional submissions while people are confused and annoyed.

edit for clarification: our gym’s been a bit chaotic for the past few years and we’ve changed coaches a few times. Last BJJ grading was two years ago, current coach is a freshly minted black belt, and he’s still working out what he wants to see from different belt levels. He essentially had to get 50 people who hadn’t graded in years and work out from scratch where people belonged.

oh I get what it means semantically. I just agree and disagree with it at the same time. Spinnerroonies are good, as are flippiedoos, but so are fundamentals.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

In my mind belts are dumb. Just train and enjoy it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neon Belly posted:

In my mind belts are dumb. Just train and enjoy it.

Yeah. I've basically been a white belt for like 7 years or so due to moving around and changing gyms a lot. A belt rank doesn't really mean much to me anymore asode from like, a black belt etc.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've only been at a couple of gyms that used them over the years. Basically if you were dedicated, improving, but still poo poo they'd give you a stripe.

With the kids there's the behaviour element as well and it's a bit more open, like the blackbelt is there at the grading going 'I'm only going to give you a stripe, if you didn't horse around with Harrison and Tucker so much you'd probably be getting a yellow belt'.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Stripes at my gym have no meaning. The instructor wouldn't give any stripes if he could but there's always pressure from students to see they're progressing. Last promotions he just gave one to every student indiscriminately if they weren't up for a new belt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

Stripes at my gym have no meaning. The instructor wouldn't give any stripes if he could but there's always pressure from students to see they're progressing. Last promotions he just gave one to every student indiscriminately if they weren't up for a new belt.

I'd be the guy with 12 stripes on his white belt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually at my judo club we only give stripes to kids. If you're in the adult class, it's full belt or nothin'.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

December 24th rolls just got scheduled!

Festivus! The feats of strength!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

December 24th rolls just got scheduled!

Festivus! The feats of strength!

Given my limited Korean I'm just gonna assume my gym is closed on Monday and will go Tuesday and the rest of the week I'm on vacation.

May even go two times a day! :yayclod:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any good videos on either starting techniques from the knees or different passes from there?

Whenever it's time to roll full on we usually always start on our knees and I'm practically lost when it comes to what grips I should go for, passes or how to defend their efforts. Usually I either pull guard or stand up failing to pass.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

Does anyone have any good videos on either starting techniques from the knees or different passes from there?

Whenever it's time to roll full on we usually always start on our knees and I'm practically lost when it comes to what grips I should go for, passes or how to defend their efforts. Usually I either pull guard or stand up failing to pass.

Double, Singles, and Knee taps. A lot of standing techniques will work from the knees.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

From knees I go for arm drags, snapdowns, singles, or (more often) I sit back and look for butterfly hooks from a cross-leg position. The single leg is probably the highest percentage for me against tougher people, though I typically look for the other stuff first.

If you're doing knees vs knees, the big thing is to not let anyone control your head or wrists. Put more effort into grip fighting, and that includes not letting your opponent have the grip that he seems to want.

Sorry that i don't really have any good vid suggestions.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How many people start from the knees here?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Does immediately sitting down from standing count?

Every gym I've ever been at started from knees, until my gym started encouraging standing starts about 8 months ago.

Depending on space, if it's busy we'll start from knees.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, it depends on the space. When it's busy it's not practical to start standing with the room we're working with.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

How many people start from the knees here?

I do a lot of knee wrestling, because I like going to turtle as a side control escape and then working attacks from there, but I never opt to start knees vs knees.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We start from the ground, usually, for space reasons. I'll start from the feet whenever I can, though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I start on my knees often because bad knee.

I've been playing a lot of butterfly guard lately, I'll X pass as well. Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rux8Qf9eskE

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I start standing

then immediately shoot in for a low single/flop to guard 100% of the time, fight me if you don't like it

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

double under and over under pass are money if you don't dork up the details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29JviJXtFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfAuqlcw54

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My gym is too small and our mats aren't jiu-jitsu but all purpose mats because it's also used for cross fit, kickboxing and HIT that we never start standing. We barely do any throws and when we do it's at most 50% because it hurts so much to land.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We do standing vs sitting, determined by rock-paper-scissors. If class is small we can choose to do standing vs standing but we aren’t pushed to.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
One of the gyms I trained at did knees as well and I never understood it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In February, I moved from a stripe heavy gym to a no-stripe gym and it's been a relief. We do much fewer promotions at the current place too, it's a bit of a relief and means the promotions mean more. Since I'm a blue and purple is not on the horizon for me for a bit, I don't pay any attention to stripes or promotions - aside from my friends getting bumped up obviously.

As for starting from knees... do you mean both on your knees? That's odd to me. We start with at least 1 person on the ground normally, meaning person A would stand and attempt something while the sitting partner would be on their arse, not on their knees. We go a turn each, think it's a really good way of working if there's no space to stand (standing is ideal obviously).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every gym I've ever been to has always had people start on their knees for sparring. I think its fine personally but I get the view that its not a good way to sparr or whatever (mainly if you want to do competitions).

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I really hate the knee-wrestling thing. I've seen a couple of folks at my gym do it but usually one person sensibly sits on their butt and the other stands or goes combat base. Mat space is a real issue so everyone's pretty aware and courteous.

At my old gym (less space issues) the instructor would mock you if you and your partner started a roll knee-wrestling and he was right to do it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Opal posted:

One of the gyms I trained at did knees as well and I never understood it.

mine does it unless someone is training for a fight. i dont really see the point, but then im not some old guy who has to haul stuff around in a warehouse in the morning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

We do standing vs sitting, determined by rock-paper-scissors. If class is small we can choose to do standing vs standing but we aren’t pushed to.

I like this

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My gym has implemented a multicolor belting system for the white belt ranks, and a no subbing white belts below x level rule. Apparently its improved our retention significantly, and was previously used in another association school with similar results. It's worked well enough that Robson has been talking to my instructor about rolling it out to the rest of the schools. I sort of hate it, I think it's just kicking the can down the road. My instructor was also visibly disinterested BJJ for a while and breaking his depression had at least as much to do with retention as the beltings did.

On the plus side, finally got him to read some Bompa and start treating BJJ like a sport. He's hoping to compete at master worlds this year.

Morning Bell posted:

I really hate the knee-wrestling thing. I've seen a couple of folks at my gym do it but usually one person sensibly sits on their butt and the other stands or goes combat base. Mat space is a real issue so everyone's pretty aware and courteous.

At my old gym (less space issues) the instructor would mock you if you and your partner started a roll knee-wrestling and he was right to do it.

I make it a mat etiquette issue to the new guys, basically telling them that unless they or their partner has something specific to work they need to take turns top and bottom, which is usually one person in butterfly guard or taking a spider grip, and one standing or taking combat base.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We always start standing and are encouraged too. Obviously if you are injured, tired, don't feel like it whatever you can sit down but yea, no one ever starts on their knees, someone will sit and someone will try to pass. My school is really takedown heavy compared to most schools I've come to find out. I thought standing sparring and judo/wrestling drills in class were normal? But I guess not. Also merry christmas.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah, space innit

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
When I talk about starting on knees, it's not literally on the knees ffs, it's just starting on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

positives to starting on both knees: no leglocks

negatives: everything else