Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you bold the word fact does that make your argument more true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerllama posted:

Alright I bought it. Is there a discord thread I haven't found because I haven't looked for it?

there is a link in the op

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So my brother gave me this for Christmas. Downloaded and and thought I'd try a game before lunch.

Annnnnnd "Matchmaking failed"

Reset the game twice, still failed.

What gives?

Edit: Worked on try 4.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 25, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There’s no way at all the lag in 1v1 is that bad. It’s not for me.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for what it's worth every 1v1 i've gotten into after 1.0 dropped has felt very smooth and it's pretty easy to see why i win or lose (loving railings in my line of fire :mad:)

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
If you feel early game 1v1s are a bit RNG (which they are, if you don't get a gun early), stop dropping into busy areas?

Honestly once you get down to ~80 people, server jankiness disappears so 1v1s are NOT RNG and dependent on tactic/skill.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I stalked a guy around, found a sickle he left behind waited for him to walk past me around a blind corner

Annnnd apparently my swipe missed but his shotgun blast hit me in the face from a 45 degree angle.

It appears match making lag is real, which would explain all the guys speaking Russian.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Some of hot drops can be RNG, but that's what happens when you drop somewhere with 5+ people. I've been dropping water treatment pretty consistently and I can pick up 3 to 4 kills and get a lot of good gear if I don't get smoked immediately. Sometimes you drop hot and don't find what you need. That's why new games start within 2-3 minutes after joining a lobby.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Alright I bought it. Is there a discord thread I haven't found because I haven't looked for it?

2nd line of the OP buddy.

Anyways for me the last big/huge hurdle before the game becomes officially great (although I already love it) is the netcode/tickrate/hitreg stuff. Right now it's simply sub par. 10-20 tick + general jankiness must not be acceptable for blueballs and I hope that they are working on it (they most likely are). The huge interest in the game and them having to play catch up with the servers can't have been easy either.

New vehicle physics are great. Just did a pressure flip in the bus/hippy van. GOTY.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

2nd line of the OP buddy.

This is what I get for seeing like four fire gifs on mobile and peacing out of the op.

lo siento.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
To be fair to the early game jankiness, it's better than it was. I started playing the first day of early access before the game exploded and it wasn't that bad, but it got much worse once it turned into the must play GOTY. The first few patches after that it was dogshit, and so far in 1.0 it seems to be a tenth of what it was just a few months ago.

If this was a AAA game and cost $60 I'd feel ripped off, but for what it started out as and for $30 I feel like the game is well worth it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair to the early game jankiness, it's better than it was. I started playing the first day of early access before the game exploded and it wasn't that bad, but it got much worse once it turned into the must play GOTY. The first few patches after that it was dogshit, and so far in 1.0 it seems to be a tenth of what it was just a few months ago.

If this was a AAA game and cost $60 I'd feel ripped off, but for what it started out as and for $30 I feel like the game is well worth it.

Oh, there is no doubt about the game being worth it imo. Everyone should get it. The pros for outweigh the cons. One can dream about 128 tick servers though.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I don't like the new map because of its "realistic terrain". Makes this boy queasy as gently caress, even in third person. I don't like FPP as much for the same reasons, along with the bizarre player scaling, and maybe I just shouldn't be playing this game because if it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One of the two story buildings on Miramar has a bathroom whose tub has a curtain.

Said curtain is actually a solid object and if you don't have a gun out you can hide there without being seen unless they go next to the tub:
https://streamable.com/fnpon

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
My one real complaint about this game is the lack of bullet penetration. Shower curtains, doors, fences, leaves, etc blocking bullets is incredibly frustrating. Maybe it's just because I played so much CS growing up but it really bugs me.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

DaNerd posted:

My one real complaint about this game is the lack of bullet penetration. Shower curtains, doors, fences, leaves, etc blocking bullets is incredibly frustrating. Maybe it's just because I played so much CS growing up but it really bugs me.

Ive taken so much dmg driving into cacti

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Gridlocked posted:

I stalked a guy around, found a sickle he left behind waited for him to walk past me around a blind corner

Annnnd apparently my swipe missed but his shotgun blast hit me in the face from a 45 degree angle.

It appears match making lag is real, which would explain all the guys speaking Russian.

Melee is terrible in this game, only try it when you absolutely, positively need to.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Grimwall posted:

Melee is terrible in this game, only try it when you absolutely, positively need to.

The exception is the pan, which not only does more damage than the rest but also provides you with indestructible butt armor.

Melee weapons swing slower than Punch, and don't get the jump bonus Punch does, and a Jump-Headpunch deals 90 damage, enough that any followup slap will kill.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I finally got my first crossbow kill from about 200m away. Feels good to take someone out in total stealth mode.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I finally got my first crossbow kill from about 200m away. Feels good to take someone out in total stealth mode.

Crossbows I feel need some sort of tracking for the people who use them though (ala Deus Ex); where you can see a tracer stuck to the end of the bolt. It's very hard to figure out where exactly you missed.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Finally started to get the hang of playing FPP, except for the part where I shoot other people without dying. Good thing the new map doesn't have any weapons on the lobby island to practice with. :thumbsup:

The leaderboards make no sense, though. Apparently a whopping three top tens and only seven kills in 20+ games is "top 2%" performance, but I can't seem to find any of that bottom 98% to shoot at in game. You would think they'd just be standing around in the open firing into the sky to have worse stats than me.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FallenGod posted:

Finally started to get the hang of playing FPP, except for the part where I shoot other people without dying. Good thing the new map doesn't have any weapons on the lobby island to practice with. :thumbsup:

The leaderboards make no sense, though. Apparently a whopping three top tens and only seven kills in 20+ games is "top 2%" performance, but I can't seem to find any of that bottom 98% to shoot at in game. You would think they'd just be standing around in the open firing into the sky to have worse stats than me.

The majority of the players die super early, so if you're consistently in the top half you actually are "better" than most people.

Now, some of those players land at school and either die or get 10 kills and win the game, but 5 90th places and 5 top 10's is going to trash your stats worse than 10 33rd's will.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I’m sorry for flipping the truck guys that hill snuck out of nowhere.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shooting people with high ping (ie chinese names) feels ten times worse now. What did they change?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://clips.twitch.tv/ApatheticTardyPicklesDoubleRainbow

:allears:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I dislike the new map. Because the loot levels are about the same as the old map for a given city size but all the loot spots have been dispersed across 30 extra buildings it feels absolutely lovely to loot. There too much land mass compared to the old map so the mid game is boring as gently caress and feels bad if you don't get a car. The fights from midgame on are highly scope dependent, which makes the lovely looting feel even worse. The amount of times we clear out of a town with garbage loot, kill another squad only to find they have even worse loot, happens way too often in Miramar compared with Erangal. They need to get rid of some of the sandpits. Probably like 3 times in ~30 games we've had a latish circle end up in some mountains and have had one of our players get stuck in a hole where they can't climb/move/jump out of it.

The "realistic" hilly terrain is great for final circles when you're fighting as a squad, but not great for driving which exacerbates the midgame problem where sometimes even if you have a car you just get hosed because there's no good way to the next circle.

I liked having the choice of playing the line or going center zone on the island but now i feel this map skews too much towards needing to play center to avoid getting holed by the zone.

I also dont like the 100% yellow color grade of the map, its wearying to play constantly.

If they added more vehicles or cut down the land mass and adjusted the loot it would be pretty good. As it stands I hate having to play it 75% of the time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I really like the new map.

Most of the games on it have not been the boring snoozefests I keep hearing about although that has happened occasionally. Not at a higher rate than it happened on Erangel though. The mid-game of a PUBG game being bad is not map dependent.

I do agree it's too big though. 100 people is just not enough to fill this sumbitch. And since there's no way I'd trust Bluehole attempting to shoehorn in another 50 people yeah I think I can agree that reducing the accessible landmass would be a good thing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Watch bluehole just decide to release 200 person servers that run at an amazing 8 ticks!!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the new map is :perfect: if you have any love for mad max, new vegas or the hills have eyes. it all depends on the kind of character you wish to roleplay in this very serious game that just so happens to feature local world voice chat.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I haven't played squads on the new map yet, but in solo it feels much more tense than Erangal because of all the hiding spots. I can imagine with squads you condense the amount of people per area but in solo all the hiding spots plus the spread out nature of the players seems to enhance the map in certain ways.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
When are we gonna get a game that has 6 billion players on a map the size of Earth?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

When are we gonna get a game that has 6 billion players on a map the size of Earth?

gently caress that, give me PUBG in the Division's knockoff of New York.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

final circles in uluru, hope there's a 747 spawn

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Party Plane Jones posted:

gently caress that, give me PUBG in the Division's knockoff of the Escape From New York version of New York.

Now you're talking.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would love a completely urban map like Kowloon's Walled City.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that'd rule hard. or at least have buildings across the whole map. all the dead space is poo poo.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I officially miss the test server even with all the extra problems it had. Cheating is back in 1.0 and it blows.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

I officially miss the test server even with all the extra problems it had. Cheating is back in 1.0 and it blows.

Report it and then go into your replay and record that. Cheat reporting is absurdly obvious now between killcams/replays.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I wish they'd region lock the game tbh. Getting the jump on dudes with random letters for names only to die to them because they are lagging like crazy is getting kind of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Zzulu posted:

You're literally playing it right now, though I think you'll find it's actually EA's version, which is heavily Pay2Win

• Locked thread