Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ChrisBTY posted:

So far we have...
Stan Lee the anime.
Cao Cao the mech.

So I assume that's it for crazy bullshit.

*points at thread title*

We have only just begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The man called M posted:

You sweet summer child.:allears:

I was sincerely hoping to get this exact reply right down to the emote.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Yeah, I'm already liking this more than L.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Alright, it’s time to check the intermission menu. Normally there’d be a list of our current top aces at the bottom, but my recording came in a bit wonky and the bottom screen was pretty much all cut. This doesn’t matter much, since 95% of everything this game does is in the top screen, but we’ll check the bottom one later.
That said, NG++ means our kill counts are horribly inflated: Richard is 1st with 352, Heroman is 2nd with 334 and Saya is 3rd with 279. And, by the by, whenever your top aces kill something, you gain 20% extra cash.

Now, here’s the rundown on these menu options and what they do, from top to bottom:
Pilot:
  • Pilot List – checks your pilots stats, etc.
  • Skill Parts – like in all DS games, your pilots gain abilities and stat boosts by consuming Skill Parts.
  • Switch Pilot – reassigns pilots to different units. Various limitations apply, so don’t expect to have Richard controlling Heroman.
  • Assign Tactician – certain pilots can be set as this, providing several bonuses to all your troops.
Machine:
  • Unit List – unit’s stats.
  • Mech Upgrade – spend your cash to boost various stats in your units and/or their weapons.
  • Squad formation – not available yet, but we’ll be able to pair our guys into various duos.
System:
  • Search – lists all the skills, abilities, spirit commands, etc. that we have and who has them.
  • System – options menu. More importantly, allows you to set different BGMs for your mechs.
  • DLC – haven’t looked up any of it.
  • Data Save
  • Proceed to next mission

And in case you’re wondering, the three yellow stats at the bottom of the screen refer to, in order, the total number of turns you’ve taken so far, how much money you currently have and (when applicable) how many times you’ve cleared the game.

And with our homework done, let’s be off!

#1: Hrgh…!
#2: Accept your defeat…
#2: You may be lauded as the mightiest of all, but, without a master, you stand no chance of defeating the Liber Legis.
#1: Kch…!

#2: Know when to give up. Away with you!

#1: Ugh-Gwaaaaah!

#3: Should we not pursue, master…?
#2: It matters not. I’m certain she will fall upon that city.
#2: All shall be as Fate decrees, and the Wheel of Fortune is ever in my hand.
#3: Yes, master…

Cut to Arkham City, our folks have arrived and Leica is very glad to see Kurou back safely – she was worried sick. Joey and the others excuse themselves and come in, Psy very much digging the chill atmosphere of the church. Pretty nice place. Lina, meanwhile, is beat and really could use with a shower.
Leica takes a look at these people and freaks out: “Kurou, I know you’re broke, but resorting to kidnapping is just…!” Nooo, that’s not what’s going on – how can she even think that?! Kurou explains that they’re from Center City and had no place to go, so he brought them along.
Denton apologizes for imposing on Leica, but we really had no other options… but, of course, the nun welcomes them all. It’s the duty of the church to help those in need, after all. “OH! Such enormous kindness, it’s like I’m looking at an actual angel!” Richard cries. “In fact, I’m certain of it: you must be an angel given form!”
Leica lets out an embarrassed laugh – he gives her too much credit – and quickly remembers that there were people who wanted to see Kurou.

That’d be Winfield and his boss, Ruri Hadou, and they’ve a request to make of him. Kurou immediately recognizes Hadou, as in the Hadou Financial Group, of which Ruri is the known president! Denton’s also familiar with them, the only company to rival the Rubens Foundation in worldwide dominance.
Richard notes that the previous company president was one Kozo Hadou, a man renowned as America’s Railroad King. The Hadou Financial Group invested heavily in the development of Arkham City, to the point where they are the de facto rulers of the place. Huh, Psy’s surprised he’s so well-informed. Did he live here before? “Non, non. Not at all.”
Regardless, Winfield confirms that Richard is right and said Kozo Hadou is Ruri’s grandfather. “I-If I may ask, what request could a lady such as yourself have to make of people like us?” Kurou says, a much more formal tone setting on his voice.
The truth is…

: I can’t believe the Hadou Financial Group asked me to find a grimoire…
: And one with actual power, the sort that sorcerers use, at that.
: Yeesh, first aliens, now sorcerers? The crazy-train never stops, huh?
: Guess not, ahahah… But did you really mean that? Sorcerers actually exist?
: Eh, who knows? But whatever the case, pretty much all grimoires are compilations of unholy knowledge.
: Anyone who wants something like that isn’t a very good sort, I’ll tell you that.
: Hmhmm, I see how it is…
: Still, we owe Kurou much for what he’s done for us. So how about we split up and help him with his job?
: Okay!
: (Are we clear on what to do, Saya?)
: (Yes, sir. I’ll continue to accompany and investigate Joseph Carter Jones.)

: Was it truly fine to hire that man…?
: While Mr. Daijuuji quit halfway through, he did engage in occult studies at the Miskatonic University. In other words, he’s studied magic theory.
: All students are sworn to secrecy, and it was no easy task uncovering his name. I don’t think we have any other option but to entrust this matter to him…
: Demonbane… my grandfather’s heirloom. The means for us to stand against the Black Lodge…
: But we require a grimoire – a true grimoire – if we are to activate it.

: A-choo!
: Do you have a cold, Kurou?
: Naah, it’s just these old books – they’re covered in dust.
: Now why do you assume it’s the dust? Maybe my books are whispering behind your back…?
: But which one is the whisperer… a grimoire with power, perhaps?
: …?!
: (Wh-Who is this woman…?!)
: Hahah, that’s kind of a weird idea, lady. A book whispering?
: Is it truly a weird notion? Don’t you think that, given enough time, a soul, a will… even a life may take root within something? Like, say, a real grimoire, vessel to untold power, or perhaps…
: A doll, endowed with human emotions…?
: (Does… does she know about Heroman?!)
: Hmhmhm…
: …
: Who… who are you…?
: Ah, my apologies – I never quite introduced myself, did I? I am the owner of this fine establishment. My name is, hmm…
: Well, why don’t you call me Nya?
: Mister Daijuuji… Escape, por favor… (Saya shifts into full engrish here, so I needed to replace that with something.)
: Huh? But we haven’t found a grimoire yet…
: Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that. You will certainly get your pretty hands on one, and in the very near future.
: Yes, the mightiest of all grimoires… the ultimate grimoire, one that can summon even a god…
: Wh-What do you mean by that…?!
: Mister! Por favor! Sei schnell!
: O-Okay. I’ll stop by later, Ms. Nya…

*Off they go.*

: Hmhmhm… Karma flows in a circle, coming to fruition at samsara's end…
: Ah, things are getting interesting. I wonder what kind of ending we’ll reach this time…

: Oi, Saya… you didn’t even give me a chance to hear what that lady had to say.
: Pardon. But that bookstore veeryy perigoso, mucho strange.
: Um… you mean you thought the place was suspicious, then, right?
: Oui, oui. (She switches between engrish and French, yes)
: (The way you speak is a whole lot more suspicious, if you ask me.)
: Move! Out the way!
: Huh…?
: Qu'est-ce que c'est?!
: Aah?! There’s a girl falling this way…?!
: I said, MOVE, FOOOOOL!
: Ah—Waaaaaaaah!

*Smack!*

Mission 3 – I Am Providence

: O-Ooow….
: Wh-Why in blazes would you simply stand there?! You cretin! You gigantic fool!
: Who the hell expects someone to just come falling out of the sky?!

: Hey, Joey!
: Psy! And Lina!
: We heard this huge noise coming this way… what happened?

*Guitar solo!*

: Hey! You there, young man! Hand over the girl, nice and easy!
: Um… And you are?

*Another guitar solo!*

: W-w-w-w-w-whaaaaaaat?! You don’t know DOCTOR WEST, the greatest scientific genius in a BILLION years?!
: The ignorance! And ignorance is a sin! Ignorance is a tragedy!
: What’s wrong with this man…?
: D-Don’t ask me…
: You sad, sad man... Way I see it, fueling my career in the Black Lodge with your death is the more better choice for someone like you!
: ?! B-Black Lodge?!
: Black Lodge… What’s that?
: There isn’t a single person in this city who doesn’t know that name… It’s a secret society renowned for its incredibly evil activities!
: Wh-Whaa?!
: …!

*:tfrxmas:*

: M-Machineguns?! Are those real?!
: (Major, do you copy?! We’ve an emergency! Please advise…!)
: Farewell, my childhood! That fleeting summer’s romance! I AM ROCK ‘N’ ROLL! LET’S PLAY! FIIIIREEEEEE!

*Machinegun fire!*

: Yaaaaaah!
: Kch…!

*Magic!*

: W-Whaaaaaat?!
: No way… What’s that?!
: Sh-She blocked all bullets with a magic barrier! How the hell… Who is this girl?!
: Haah… Haah… M-My powers fail me… Indeed, without a master, I…!

*Faint.*

: H-hey! You alright?!
: U-Urgh…
: Everyone, run! I’m calling Heroman!
: Joey?! But they’re…!
: We’ll be fine! Heroman and I can handle it!
: Heromaaaan… ENGAGE!

: Hmm!
: Whaaaat?! A-A robot?!
: Go, quick!
: Wait! I don’t see Saya!
: Huh?! She ran off without us…?!
: N-Never mind that, we need to go too!

: Graaaargh, blast you…! You dare dangle that bot before the eyes of brilliant DOCTOR WEST?!
: I’ll show you the magnificence of some REAL robots!

: G-Giant robots…?!
: WAHAHAHAHAHA! Forward! Turn that piece of crap into pieces of scrap!
: And while you do that, I’ll run down that runt.

: Urk… Now what do I do…?!

:siren: SRW UX - Shadows that Rend Darkness

: Those are… that robot and plane from yesterday?!
: Whew, looks like we made it just in time. Can’t have the target of our investigation get destroyed, now, can we?
: But what about your health, major? Are you well to do this?
: Hey, we just need to not use the Hell Stringer and everything’ll be A-OK! Come on, Saya!
: Yes, sir!
: They’re on my side…?
: Well, alright, then! Heroman, GOOO!

Again, kill everything and don’t lose anyone. Dr. West’s MP Destroyer Robos are made of sturdier stuff than that Skrugg, but not by a whole lot. Their accuracy is actually worse against Heroman due to the size difference, though they hit a wee bit harder.
Still, it’s nothing different from our previous fights.

:siren: SRW UX - JOEY AND HEROMAN

And as the battle carries on, right at the next enemy turn.

: Black Lodge’s Destroyer Robos have appeared?! Is that true?!
: My lady! (Sonya)
: Call me “Commander” when were down here!
: Y-Yes, Commander! We’ve got several of their units currently engaging the mysterious mechs seen in Center City!
: The priority right now is making sure the population of nearby areas is evacuated safely! Do it!
: Right away, Commander.
: (The Black Lodge wouldn’t be running amuck like this if we could just get my grandfather’s Demonbane to move…!)

Back up top, I’ve the sinking feeling this game’s AI follows the same pattern as L’s as nearly every Destroyer Robo prioritizes Richard and his high HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTnEwYqGnw
Heroman does get a kill, right as the plot kicks in again.

: Haah… Haah… Did we lose them…?!
: H-Hrm…
: Ah, you woke up?
: You… carried me…?
: I couldn’t just leave you back there, right?
: I see… then you have my gratitude… Hm?
: You… have the scent of darkness about you. Are you a sorcerer?
: ...?!
: “Sorcerer”?!
: He’s one...?!
: N-No... that’s... I just dabbled in it a bit, nothing major...
: Hm, then you have not a book of your own? That is good.
: And he seems to have quite a lot of potential hidden within. How fortunate.
: Nah, I don’t, which is why I—

*GUITAR SOLO!*

: MWAHAHAHAAHA! AAHAHAHAHAHA!
: You thought you got away, but the eyes of THE! GREAT! GENIUS! DOCTAAAAAA WEEEEEEEST! Are impossible to deceive!
: Gaah, this creep’s a real bloodhound!
: They force my hand…! Human! What is your name?!
: Aah?! Is this really the time to ask that?!
: Answer me, human! Names are important!
: It’s Kurou… Kurou Daijuuji!
: And I’m not a sorcerer, or some hero, alright?! I’m just a detective!
: Very well, Kurou Daijuuji… I make a covenant with thee!
: Whaaa…?!

: Carve mine name into thine soul, Kurou Daijuuji!
: I am Al Azif! The mightiest grimoire of all, penned by Abdul Alhazred himself!

*Kiss!*

: I-I’m…!?
: The hell, he transformed?! What’s going on?!
: I-It can’t be…! Al Azif chose a boy like him as its master?!
: Is that what happened…? And where are you?!
: Over here! Our covenant is complete, and with nary an issue!
: Aw, how cute… she’s like a little doll now.
: You’ve shrunk a whole lot…
: However, in exchange, you shall find that your powers have grown quite significantly!
: And as the chosen bearer of the grimoire Al Azif, you are now a sorcerer! That is to say, you are a Magius!
: A Magius…
: Come! We shall fight together!
: What, don’t I get any say in this?!

: (Was that the light of spellcasting just now…?)
: (What was that huge light we saw…? Are Kurou and the others are alright?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNfwjSIqzU
Carrying on!
All mooks are weakened, so everyone nabs a kill.

While I could have killed the rest on the enemy turn, I find it to be safer to leave one alive to kill on our turn.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 15, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

: Okay, that’s all of them down!
: (Joey’s getting more and more used to fighting… The kid really is as good as I thought.)
: But what about Kurou’s group? Where are they…?

*Flash!*

: Waaaaaaaaaah!!

*Dr. West is blasting off again! *twinkle**

: Hrm!
: D-Dude… That was just like Heroman!
: Hm, quite a decent performance for a novice. Our magical wavelengths resonate well, it seems.
: You called yourself Al Azif, right? As in, the original grimoire Necronomicon?
: Oh, so you know of me?
: H-Hey, wait a minute. Aren’t grimoires supposed to be books?
: Why, it is only natural for grimoire as mighty as I to possess a soul and form of its own.
: You say, like it’s the simplest thing in the world…
: But pay that no mind. We have established a covenant, so I expect you to be worthy, Kurou Daijuuji.
: What, just like that?! Why?!
: 'Tis fate.
: Oh, no, you’re not going to hand-wave everything with just one little word!

*BOOM!*

: Aack! Wh-What is it now?!

: MWAHAHAHA! How do you like me now, Kurou Daijuuji, Al Azif?!
: Behold my masterpiece, the Super West Invincible Robot Type-28 Special!
: And now it’ll blast you all into dust bunnies!

: U-Uwaaaaah!
: He’s shooting the whole dang place!
: drat it, the creep’s gone nuts!
: Hey, you so-called “mightiest grimoire of all”! Isn’t there anything we can do about that?!
: Had I my Deus Machina, Aeon, available, his hunk of garbage would be of no consequence…!

*Wooooooom!*

: Aah…?! Aeon… are you there?!
: No… this is not Aeon. But I am sensing a Deus Machina, of that I am certain!
: Hey, what is that “Deus Machina” business you’re on about?!
: In this world, you would call it a god!
: “God”?!
: I am the keeper of knowledge, the weaver of spells. I am the howling of demons. I am that which conquers death, the original before which all are but copies. By my name, Al Azif, I ask thee!
: Thou god armored in steel. Thou god made by man. Thou mechanical god… What art thou?

*Wooooooom!*

: “Demonbane”…? A fine name. I like it!
: Then, Demonbane, by my name, Al Azif, I summon thee!

: Commander, we’ve got trouble! The Demonbane’s activated!
: What?!
: Order the mystic generator to shut down!
: I’m trying, but it’s not working! (Chiaki)
: H-How… The Demonbane cannot move without a grimoire! Who could possibly…?!
: It’s headed towards the imaginary expansion catapult!
: The Demonbane, the memento of my grandfather, is moving…!

:siren: SRW UX - Deus Machina
:siren: :siren:

: What’s that thing?!
: Thou art the tears that fall from a sky burning with hatred. Thou art the righteous anger that dwelleth in the blood-soaked flame!
: Thou art the innocent blade… Demonbane!
: This is the Deus Machina…? Demonbane?!
: Ooh, this is unacceptable! You dare defy DR. WEST, GENIUS OF THE CENTURY?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuNewqx_tbs
Captions are available.

: ?! My attack just bounced right off?!
: All those shots and it didn’t even scratch that robot?!

Ah, my old friends.

: Heheh… Well, things are looking real fun around here, huh? They gotta save some for us, though! (Sawatari)
: Wh-Who are those…?!
: (Armas of the Katou Organization…! Are they after the Deus Machina?!)
: Hmhmm, I figured something big was up with how suddenly we were told to come to America, but I sure didn’t expect something like that to turn up! (Yulianne)
: The Mechanical God, Deus Machina… Did Hisataka know this was gonna happen?
: I’m pretty sure “Imagine” would be his answer to that question. But, whatever the case, we’d best roll up our sleeves and get to work!
: Wh-What the hell, another group?! And they look like they’re all gunning for us!
: Fret not. The Demonbane and you are now one and the same! To battle, Kurou!
: And how do you expect me to do that?! I’ve no idea what I’m supposed to do here!

*Heroman walks over to Kurou.*

: That voice… Are you piloting that mech, Kurou?!
: Joey?!
: Ah, great, it IS you! The Heroman and I’ll help you out! We’ll beat those guys together!
: Seems the choice has been made for us. Saya, back them up!
: Aye, aye!
: Crap, I’ve no idea what’s even going on… but there’s no way around this. I gotta make it work!
: Forward, Demonbane! Let all bear witness to thine might!

We just need to beat Dr. West to end the mission, but of course we want the cash (and kills) from the Katous. This would’ve been simpler if Joey didn’t insist of heading to the opposite side of the map to talk with Kurou, but whatever…

Demonbane (Kurou Daijuuji, Al Azif)
Pilot Skills:
Sorcerer (魔術師) L1 – Increases all stats except SP by a fixed amount, maxing out at +20 at L9.
Grimoire (魔導書) L3 – Al’s skill. Increases the unit’s maximum MP and rate of MP Regen in proportion to the skill’s level.
Prevail L1
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands – Kurou:
Invincible
Strike
Spirit Commands – Al:
Focus
Accelerate
Fury/Direct Hit (直撃) – your next attack will bypass all of the enemies special defenses, including supports.
Squad Bonus: Accuracy +5, HP +500 (Accuracy +20, HP +1000, 1250 Barrier)
Kurou’s voice actor: Kentaro Ito (other roles: Renji in Bleach, Akagi in Dai-Guard, Chester in Tales of Phantasia and MANY more).
Al’s voice actress: Rie Kanda (other roles: Judith in Atelier Judie, Vanette in Growlanser V and a few more)

You know what’s fun? Getting one of the absolute best units (I won’t say outright best simply because I may be forgetting stuff) in the game by mission 3. True to its fame, the Demonbane has PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS, and while Kurou can’t do much with it just yet, once he gets going, oh boy, will he just tear through everything.
It’s powerful as no one’s business, incredibly hard to kill (further bolstered by already having access to that barrier), Al gives it Accelerate right off the bat and about the only thing stopping Kurou from destroying everything forever is its lack of flight (which can be fixed by squaddies).
Oh, and it runs on magic, so of course it doesn’t consume EN with its attacks: it uses MP, which Al will always be regenning. At Grimoire L3, she already gives it a 10% refill every turn – by max level, it’ll be 30%. Do note, however, that this means E-Save and EN+ Squad Bonuses won’t work BUT having someone with a Resupply Module on his team is still fine.
All hail the king.

Idaten ver. 2 (Takurou Sawatari)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L3
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Sawatari’s Voice Actor: Tetsu Inada (other roles: Elzam in SRW, Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors, Harry Ord in Turn A Gundam, and a billion more)

Tsubaki-hime (Yulianne Faithful)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L2
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Yulianne’s voice actress: Emi Shinohara (other roles: Youko in Orgun, Yu-Fan in Full Metal Panic, Precia in Rayearth, Sailor Jupiter and many, many more)

Sawatari and Yulianne are pretty much the archetypical fragile speedster enemies, but they each have slight differences that you need to account for. Sawatari is clearly the bulkier of the two and has slightly better range, while Yulianne drops her range a bit more and focuses more on outright dodging and being waaay more accurate than Sawatari.
If you were there for the L LP, you should already know that Yulianne is the one you REALLY need to watch out for: she still has her Decapitation attack and she’ll debuff your units’ armor into crap with it. If you’re unlucky and the enemy decides to gang up on someone, that might cost you dearly.
But, while not as fragile as they were in L, Armas still aren’t the bulkiest enemies around – if you can reliably connect against them, they’ll fall in short order.

Destroyer Robo (Dr. West)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L2
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Dr. West’s voice actor: Takumi Yamazaki (other roles: Young Ocelot in MGS, Isamu in Macross Plus, George in G Gundam and a ton more).

And on the other side of the spectrum, we’ve got defense-specced DOCTAAAAA WEEEEEEST. For all his bravado, though, he’s not really all that tough: his Destroyer Robo can take a decent amount of punishment, but it’s got no significant tricks at its disposal.
West’s stats aren’t that great and his accuracy is worse than Sawatari’s, meaning his best shot is using his Tornado Crusher attack with a +30 accuracy modifier. It’s only got 1-2 range, though, so you can easily set your guys out of that range (Kurou can’t do that yet, but he doesn’t need to).
All in all, taking him down is simple stuff – Prevail L2 isn’t enough to be significant – but do keep this in mind:

:siren: Secret Alert :siren:
Demonbane Secret – 1st step: Shoot down Dr. West with Kurou

Demonbane’s got one of the longer secrets of the game, and this is where it starts. West won’t even retreat, so all you need to do is remember that Kurou needs to deal the finishing blow.

While I’m backing folks away from the Katous, West takes the time to snipe at Heroman.

:siren: SRW UX - JOEY AND HEROMAN

: You little bundle of junk! Now you’ll understand the greatness of DR. WEST!
: H-His mech’s huge…! But I know Heroman can beat it!
: Hmm!

The Armas themselves are frailer than the MP Destroyer Robos, but got more evasion and accuracy.

FYI, Demonbane’s secret also requires Kurou to have 200 kills, but the cutoff point is the start of the penultimate mission of the game, so you got plenty of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evOgq7J6La4
Fine, he can kill you later.

: So these are the famous UX, eh…?
: Hah, now ain’t this is a hoot?! Let’s cut loose and have some fun, you and I!

I enjoy the double support defense combo Heroman and Joey pull there.

: (UX… they certainly don’t look like your run-of-the-mill mercs, that’s for sure…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8bbv6oILU
Richard: “Time passes on, but gangs like yours never go away, huh…?”
And we might take this opportunity to show the DK of Richard’s Last Testament, seeing how every single mook is gunning for him.

: The name’s Takurou Sawatari of the Katou Organization! Now come and show me how strong that Deus Machina actually is!
: “Katou Organization?!” You’re not with Black Lodge?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b268KKrCZys
Here’s Sawatari’s best trick.

: You expect such a puppet to stand up to a mechanical god? Absurd!
: Deus Machina… Let us put to the test whether you’re something we should be wary of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH9iRwIRg6Q
And here’s Saya’s best one. Sparkly!

Take her out and we get a Kyushu Castella Cake (Melee and Defense +10, Skill +5)

: Oho, not bad. Not bad at all. But this should be good enough, I think.
: What, we’re backing down already?!
: Our mission today was just to survey things, remember? The commander’ll be annoyed if we ignore our orders.
: Psh… Fine!

: (They’ve retreated. Then their objective here really was to…)

: Come on, come on! My drills turn you into Swiss cheese!
: I’ll admit that they’re pretty impressive… but they’re no more than props if you can’t get ‘em to connect!

: That support unit won’t even dent my Destroyer Robo’s armor!
: “Support unit”…? Hm, I guess it falls on me to correct you. This is a fighter-bomber!

:siren: SRW UX - Deus Machina

: Aaargh, screw you! My Destroyer Robo is the greatest piece of technology ever made! Now hold still and let me gut you!
: Urhg, you mad scientist! Get over yourself!

And we steal Dr. West’s Favorite Guitar (Defense and Range +10, Skill +5) as a prize! :v:

: Th-This thrice-blasted buffoon! Maaaybe I was messing around too much, but not anymore!
: Behold! The super HARD! Super THICK! Super LONG! Super Electromagnetic DRILL! TORNAAAADO CRUSHEEEEEER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4kDgQdgYVo

: What in blazes are you doing, fool?!
: drat it, I messed up...! Hey, grimoire, there anything we can use?!
: Aye, there is – now we shift back on the offense! Set forth and strike with all the strength you can muster! I shall see to the rest!
: O-Okay… Here goes!

: I-Is that…?!
: Timaeus and Critias are active! Output at maximum!
: Demonbane shifting to Aether Dancer Mode!
: Are they… going to use it?!
: The Chain-Severing System… Atlantis Strike!

: Haaaaaaah…!

: Take him, Kurou!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCP5q9t5YYc

: Gaaaaah! I’ll remember thiiiiiiiis…!

: Victory is ours, Kurou!
: I-I actually did it…?

*Beep!*

: Hey there, Mr. thief! Do you hear us?!
: Wah?!
: Who are you?! And just how did you know about Demonbane, the Hadou Financial Group’s most closely guarded secret?!
: The Hadou Financial Group?!
: Your voice… Wait, are you?!
: C-Crap…!
: We’re sending a recovery team your way as we speak! Don’t go anywhere!
: You understand what will happen should you escape, yes?
: J-Just let me get away from here first!
: What?! Where are we going, Kurou?!

: Huh?! Hey, Kurou!
: (Seems he’s got plenty of things to sort out on his end…)

Aboard the ship Shangri-La, we find two figures discussing Sawatari and Yulianne’s mission. The man in brown reports that they were forced to retreat after having to face both UX units and another unknown, but the boss man says that’s fine. Their main objective today was to confirm that “it” had awakened.
“Machina and Deus Machina… are the similarities merely superficial, or perhaps…” he ponders.

Cut back to the Hadou command center, Kurou’s already been brought over and can’t believe Arkham City had something like this hiding in its underground. Indeed, and Ruri says the Hadou Financial Group built it as a facility meant to defend the city from the Black Lodge.
Now, while things got really crazy out there, Ruri has an idea of what happened thanks to all the information recorded within the Demonbane. With that in mind, she is willing to pay Kurou accordingly for his work. Nice.
HOWEVER, and she’s sure this needn’t even be said, the Demonbane is highly classified and Kurou is to forget everything that’s happened today. It is their only means of standing up to the Black Lodge – certainly not something they could leave with Kurou to use as he pleases.

Kurou’s fine with it, but Al isn’t: the Demonbane was created to do battle, so she’s certain that it desires the mightiest grimoire at its side. Ruri isn’t having it, though, pointing out how reckless it was for her and Kurou to pilot the thing. If they wound up getting it destroyed, that’d be the end.
Al protests that anything that takes part in combat is bound to be damaged. The Demonbane isn’t a toy for her to fuss over! Alright, that does it, Ruri is not satisfied with this vulgar grimoire AT ALL and commands Kurou to go and find a better, more fitting grimoire to power the Demonbane!

Um, what about that talk about paying him, etc.? Forget it. And depending on his behavior, she’ll have him face full responsibility for commandeering the Demonbane – get to work! As Kurou sulks, Winfield reminds Ruri that they must get ready to depart for the Earth Federation HQ in New York.
Fair enough, so Ruri turns to Kurou and orders him to find a better Grimoire and make it snappy! As she leaves, Kurou then turns to Al and grumbles that this is all her fault. Al’s not particularly fazed.

: It appears Dr. West’s Destroyer Robo was beaten by another machine, one presumed furnished with magic circuitry. (Augustus)
: It is very likely that what he fought was the Deus Machina the Hadou Financial Group has been constructing in the shadows…
: Hm, so it seems. And it has stepped into the light at last… (Master Therion)
: Augustus, take care of things here.
: Certainly. But where are you…?
: I must go and greet Al Azif’s new master, of course…
: Oh, my… the Grand Master himself is taking to the field?
: ?! Who goes there?!

*Magic!*

: Stand down – that’s an old acquaintance. It has been quite a while…hmm…
: Nya is what I’m calling myself right now. Rather straightforward, I know, but names have never been my forte.
: Regardless, you are looking rather merry for someone who’s simply going to “greet” another, aren’t you, Grand Master...?
: Merry? Indeed, I am. Facing that one is the only thing that can bring me some measure of excitement during these tedious times…
: Despite the thousands, the millions of times this has repeated, that, alone, is something I never grow weary of…
: Hmhmhm... The stray children of the samsara are also gathering together. From across the void, they come in procession, ever under the guidance of the possibilities...
: Oh? Now that is interesting to hear…
: Grand Master… there’s a chance, albeit small, that things may be different this time…

Cut to the California base, Graham runs in and tells Jin and Arnie we’ve an emergency: there’s an unknown spaceship approaching Earth! What, is it another Skrugg ship? No, it’s actually looking like a DIFFERENT one!
Arnie and Jin are not happy with the prospect of another bunch of invaders when we already have our hands full with the Skrugg – whatever is gonna happen to Earth? We’ve got a special committee over by the New York HQ currently discussing how we’ll approach these new aliens. Depending on how things turn out, we may be ordered to deploy and intercept them, so Graham wants them all on standby and ready to go.
Arnie does remember Ronin grumbling about the Skrugg attack and how it somewhat affected his testimony at the parliament. Is this what he was talking about? Did Ronin know about these new aliens, and that they were coming, all along?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 14, 2018

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

: Nya is what I’m calling myself right now. Rather straightforward, I know, but names have never been my forte.

Well at least she admits it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
You know, when I heard there was a giant robot anime based on Lovecraft, I thought it would be, well, a lot better than what I actually ended up watching. It was disappointingly generic and cheesecake, and I guess maybe the tone gets darker later on, I don't know, but it just didn't click with me. Like, I get that the original source was pornography, but some of the outfits are just excessive. Normally I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to mecha anime, but Demonbane just didn't do it for me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EclecticTastes posted:

You know, when I heard there was a giant robot anime based on Lovecraft, I thought it would be, well, a lot better than what I actually ended up watching. It was disappointingly generic and cheesecake, and I guess maybe the tone gets darker later on, I don't know, but it just didn't click with me. Like, I get that the original source was pornography, but some of the outfits are just excessive. Normally I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to mecha anime, but Demonbane just didn't do it for me.

Demonbane is like Fate in that it started as a porno and... while not as runaway popular as Fate, did have some level of success as a franchise with the porn bits stripped out. The other thing is that the anime actually just isn't any good. So it's also like Fate in that regard (The original Fate/Stay Night anime, for any who didn't experience it, was bad.)

I mean the designs are still gonna be the same but man is there like a tonne excised from the anime.

Also, Brunom, if my memory is correct the Demonbane's incantation is

quote:

From the hate scorched sky.
With righteous anger in our hearts.
We draw forth the sword that smites evil!
Thou art the innocent blade-
Demonbane!

Of course the real Demonbane trivia is that the series creator, Jin Haganeya, player Super Robot Wars 4 all the way back in the day, and when he unlocked the Grungust on the Super route, he named it Demonbane. So... yeah I'm sure for him it was very exciting to see his childhood eventually merge together with what inspired it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 26, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm more excited for Manga Linebarrel. :allears:

I've managed to follow with the LP so far, with 28 kills to Heroman.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

EclecticTastes posted:

Onmi posted:

Demonbane is like Fate in that it started as a porno and... while not as runaway popular as Fate, did have some level of success as a franchise with the porn bits stripped out. The other thing is that the anime actually just isn't any good. So it's also like Fate in that regard (The original Fate/Stay Night anime, for any who didn't experience it, was bad.)

Or to put it more coherently: the VN is cool and good, but is R18. The anime is not, but it sucks. More importantly UX takes after the VN instead of the anime (kind of like Linebarrel) for its elements. Unfortunately said elements are largely hilariously spoileriffic.

Speaking of which, Brunom are we allowed to talk about how OP the Demonbane gets in its home storyline or does that fall under the purview of spoilers?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, it's manga Linebarrels? As opposed to the anime abomination we got in L?

Not gonna lie, I'm really pumped for this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

“Actually, I’m certain of it: you must be the an angel given form!”

Small mistake here. Also...

quote:

Richard notes that the previous company was one Kozo Hadou, a man renowned as America’s Railroad King.

If that guy was the whole company, he was pretty impressive :v: (it wouldn't be the most bizarre thing here, anyways...)

Brunom1 posted:

: Behold! The super HARD! Super THICK! Super LONG! Super Electromagnetic DRILL! TORNAAAADO CRUSHEEEEEER!

Look, I get Demonbane was originally an H-game, but Super Robot Wars is not. This is excessive.

And it'd be much better if Gurren-Lagann was in this game, but that's another concern entirely.

Also I have no idea about Demonbane other than the anime adaptation being bad but it seems the unit is fun to use at least. I'm not sure why a magical unit has a Rider Kick as its finisher but it's very cool. And in series I do know, I was expecting the Katou Organization to appear the moment the term Deus Machina came up and they did not disappoint. I wonder what the game will use to connect both brands of Machina, but regardless, it's the first view of the real Linebarrels and I can't wait until the differences that ruined the anime become clear for all to see. Right now, I can only say that...Sawatari sure is different from the usual Tetsu Inada role in these games.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My man. You have the taste of a Champion of Justice.

Mikl posted:

Wait, it's manga Linebarrels? As opposed to the anime abomination we got in L?

Not gonna lie, I'm really pumped for this.

Another Champion of Justice! And yeah, UX actually adapts the real Linebarrels, it's why I'm excited about this LP beyond being another Brunom SRW LP.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

Also, Brunom, if my memory is correct the Demonbane's incantation is

Not quite - that's Kurou's incantation for it, which is decidedly different from the one Al uses when she first contacts the bot (it's like that in the VN as well). You'll see the one you pointed out next mission.

Edit - here's what you posted and what Kurou says: 「憎悪の空より来たりて、正しき怒りを胸に、我等は魔を断つ剣を執る!」「汝、無垢なる刃――デモンベイン!」

Now compare it to what Al says right after the Demonbane appears before Dr. West: 「汝は、憎悪に燃える空より生まれ落ちた涙。流された血を舐める、炎に宿りし正しき怒り!」「無垢なる刃…デモンベイン!」

Dr. Snark posted:

Speaking of which, Brunom are we allowed to talk about how OP the Demonbane gets in its home storyline or does that fall under the purview of spoilers?

Hmm, normally it'd be fine if it was tagged, but Demonbane is rather central to UX's plot, so it might end up spoiling stuff for the other storylines. I think it'd be safer if we waited some more.

That said, feel free to talk about stuff it already has. From what I read of the VN, the Timaeus and Critias already allow it to do some rather broken stuff for a "baseline" equipment.

As it starts unlocking stuff and we progress into the story, then you go into those, alright?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 26, 2017

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Brunom1 posted:

: Ah, things are getting interesting. I wonder what kind of ending we’ll reach this time…
She knows its new game plus. Better watch out. Also, that name, prophetic abilities and Lovecraft...nah, totally a random bookstore owner.

Brunom1 posted:

: DOCTOR WEST!
Yeah, I'm pretty certain I watched this show. I may not remember red-eyed protagonist and his mouthy book/doll/whatever, but I do remember the fantastically hammy mad scientist.

As for the link between the Machina and the Deus Machina, I have a theory. Edit: on second thought, let's not go there just yet for the sake of people who did not read the SRW L lp or are familiar with the source material.

maninthesuit fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 26, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

Hmm, normally it'd be fine if it was tagged, but Demonbane is rather central to UX's plot, so it might end up spoiling stuff for the other storylines. I think it'd be safer if we waited some more.

That said, feel free to talk about stuff it already has. From what I read of the VN, the Timaeus and Critias already allow it to do some rather broken stuff for a "baseline" equipment.

As it starts unlocking stuff and we progress into the story, then you go into those, alright?

That's fair and honestly it's why I asked to begin with.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity I went and looked up images of the Demonbane characters, and I really have to share this pain with the rest of you.

Kurou:

Al Azif:

Therion:

Now brace yourselves :catstare:

Ruri:

Leica:

Nya:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly, for H games characters, none of them are that bad.

Though the fact that Kurou's undershirt doesn't meet his pants bothers me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hellioning posted:

Honestly, for H games characters, none of them are that bad.

Though the fact that Kurou's undershirt doesn't meet his pants bothers me.

Kurou has worked very hard for his abs and he's going to show them off. Seriously (Almost) every male is ridiculously ripped

Also if you're wondering how Kurou looks when transformed?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They might not be that skimpy, but they look like hot garbage. You can tell the main source of inspiration was PVC statues of Horny Bunnies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Images of the Demonbane cast
You post everyone but forget the best one of all? Shame on you.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

They might not be that skimpy, but they look like hot garbage. You can tell the main source of inspiration was PVC statues of Horny Bunnies.

Fair. I have been tainted by too many anime games; I am no longer able to judge character designs in any way other than 'how much skin are they showing?'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given Demonbane's source material and how loving dark it throws it's endlessly amusing to me that its SRW debut is alongside the all-ages friendly Heroman and the Actually For Little Kids SD Gundam Sangokuden

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Given Demonbane's source material and how loving dark it throws it's endlessly amusing to me that its SRW debut is alongside the all-ages friendly Heroman and the Actually For Little Kids SD Gundam Sangokuden

It's not the only time they're going to pull something like this.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I have no idea about Demonbane other than the anime adaptation being bad but it seems the unit is fun to use at least. I'm not sure why a magical unit has a Rider Kick as its finisher but it's very cool.

That's not his finisher. That is probably the second weakest attack it will have, after the melee. Kurou don't know poo poo about giant robots so far, so pretty sure that Demonbane is just going to get better and better from here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

SRW Neo featured the debut of the entire Eldoran franchise (3 completed series and the pilot/elements of the planned fourth series), which is primarily made of grade-school children as the main cast/pilots. Alongside them was the debut of New Getter Robo, wherein the main trio are much more closer to their original manga counterparts and are way more violent. For instance, Hayato's introduction in New Getter Robo is literally ripping a dude's face off with his bare hands.

So yeah, featured content creating mood whiplash is kind of a thing with the Super Robot Wars franchise.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

edit: never mind

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 27, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

You post everyone but forget the best one of all? Shame on you.

I love that parentheses at the end. It gives the sense of "oh dear god what in the gently caress am I looking at" that makes that description.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Everything I've heard about Demonbane VN is that it's completely insane and knows it; I really need to get around to reading it.

Still holding out for the day that we get Muv-Luv in our SRW... :negative:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ace of Aces posted:

Everything I've heard about Demonbane VN is that it's completely insane and knows it; I really need to get around to reading it.

Still holding out for the day that we get Muv-Luv in our SRW... :negative:

I just looked Muv Luv up and for context for people who don't know, it's also porn.

I mean, if I could magically wish a giant robot into SRW it would be Megas XLR, personally.

Or hell, they put Megaman into the mobile game, may as well put them in. Though I guess that's kind of redundant with Project X Zone around.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Look, I get Demonbane was originally an H-game, but Super Robot Wars is not. This is excessive.
Eh, lots of giant robots are just a form of compensation anyway. At least he's up front about it.

On a non-porn related topic, I'm sorry, but Joey Jojo's serious-business portrait just fails to impart what it needs to. That boy has just got way too much babyface and floof to ever pull off the look.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EclecticTastes posted:

I just looked Muv Luv up and for context for people who don't know, it's also porn.

I mean, if I could magically wish a giant robot into SRW it would be Megas XLR, personally.

Or hell, they put Megaman into the mobile game, may as well put them in. Though I guess that's kind of redundant with Project X Zone around.

gently caress me Ive wanted more Megas XLR since the announcement where their plans fell through due to the tax writeoff.
The super attack can even be called 'BIG RED BUTTON"
And another attack you get 5 missions from the end called '5 missions from the end'.

Come on bandai namco do the needful
And Transformers
And battletech
And armored core
And front mission
And pacific rim
And robot jox

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 27, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

EclecticTastes posted:

Muv Luv isn't really porn, but it isn't really about the mechs either, so :shrug:.

Also, come on Nya, YOU AREN'T EVEN TRYING, YOU STUPID ABOMINATION.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Muv Luv isn't really porn, but it isn't really about the mechs either, so :shrug:.

I agree. Somehow it's even more obvious than the time it was Hitler back from the dead.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The plot of MechCommander would mesh phenomenally well with SRW if they pull some sort of "adventure on multiple planets" deal. They could use that low-fi filter from the game for the voice clips, and there are a bunch of pilots they can use (Lynx, Hunter, and Beast would, of course, be the main characters). The expansion pack even included named enemies that can serve as bosses.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress me Ive wanted more Megas XLR since the announcement where their plans fell through due to the tax writeoff.
The super attack can even be called 'BIG RED BUTTON"
And another attack you get 5 missions from the end called '5 missions from the end'.

Come on bandai namco do the needful
And Transformers
And battletech
And armored core
And front mission
And pacific rim
And robot jox

Aw poo poo, are we doing SRW Fantasy Casting already? :allears:

How bout Metal Gear Rising?
How bout My Life As A Teenage Robot?
How bout Robocop?
How bout Terminator?
How bout Cyborg 009?
How bout MegaMan Classic/X/Zero/ZX/Legends/Battle Network/Star Force/X-Over?

Comedy Options: Gundam Build Fighters, Tranzor Z, Iron Giant, and (the ultimate no hoper) G-Savior

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Alacron posted:

Aw poo poo, are we doing SRW Fantasy Casting already? :allears:

I just want Demonbane and Big O in the same SRW game.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
No one's suggested Metal Wolf Chaos? For shame. Just think of how perfectly Richard Hawk would fit it with Logos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmPZScztok

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Marvel Comic's Red Ronin, with a combo attack between it, Combattler V, and Raideen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thetruegentleman posted:

On the contrary, I'd say they're trying exactly as hard as their regard for humanity warrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

On the contrary, I'd say they're trying exactly as hard as their regard for humanity warrants?

It's more or less this. Probably the only reason Nyarly's even trying is because he knows there's an audience.