Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Got AirPods for Christmas. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. It’s been a while since I’ve had something that feels so futuristic. It’s classic Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got AirPods for Christmas. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. It’s been a while since I’ve had something that feels so futuristic. It’s classic Apple.

One of us! One of us!

They really are that good. Whomever originally posted AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade was spot on.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iPhone X and AirPods are kinda magical

Kinda jealous of Pixel 2 users cuz Google’s AI poo poo is so much better

Data + compute = magic and google just has more

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pivo posted:

Got a Phillips Hue white and colour for Christmas! These bulbs are pretty cool. Why does HomeKit override the scenes I set up in the Hue app though? Apple’s UI for selecting colours for individual lights in a scene is loving retarded but if I try to set it up through Hue it immediately warns me another application changed the scene!

Best as I can tell hue makes the assumption that HomeKit is more or less completely independent from the hue app. They seem to be mutually exclusive because of that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I really hope the next iteration of the Pixel Buds are actually good. Android users deserve something as good as AirPods that are as integrated with the Google ecosystem.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Pivo posted:

I remember reading a whole ago that apple was going to allow 3rd parties like Google to replace siri and other default apps... I guess that isn't going anywhere?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They also deserve... a messaging app

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

Yeah. Honestly if I wasn't so paranoid about them I would have went google Home over Alexa for smart Home stuff because it's so much more natural.

I really hope Apple does a mini HomePod and makes Siri not poo poo at some point in the next year. It really needs work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I remember reading a whole ago that apple was going to allow 3rd parties like Google to replace siri and other default apps... I guess that isn't going anywhere?

That “rumor” is ever-persistent and never-corroborated.

They might at some point allow you to set alternate default apps. Siri will never, ever be one of them.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Even Samsung doesn’t let you rebind their stupid assistant button

Amazon and Google got into a big slap fight because Amazon didn’t want to sell Google’s assistant products alongside their own Alexa stuff

I wouldn’t hold your breath for a natural Google Assistant integration on iOS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey, we've got plenty of them!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*releases allo and duo as separate apps on the same day*

*splits Hangouts into seven apps*

Perfect

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s all an elaborate ruse to make people use email again.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The coolest poo poo Google is doing is in Photos and Maps anyways, both of which integrate almost perfectly (little less for Maps) with iOS anyways so don't worry about.

Assistant is worlds better than Siri, but I still haven't found any compelling reason to use digital assistants besides setting alarms and crap, which works fine on any of them anyways.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pivo posted:

Got a Phillips Hue white and colour for Christmas! These bulbs are pretty cool. Why does HomeKit override the scenes I set up in the Hue app though? Apple’s UI for selecting colours for individual lights in a scene is loving retarded but if I try to set it up through Hue it immediately warns me another application changed the scene!

Maybe not a huge help but I did a bunch of googling and digging on Reddit and ended up with “iConnectHue.” Worth checking out for sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BGrifter posted:

One of us! One of us!

They really are that good. Whomever originally posted AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade was spot on.

Agreeing with that for sure. I love my 8 Plus but eh, it’s an iPhone. Awesome piece of hardware and software but it’s nothing I couldn’t have 5-6 years ago in some similar capacity. The AirPods just feel slick as hell all around. Sound quality is excellent and the way they work with the phone is something special. Just works etc etc etc

How do you guys have your taps set up?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Play pause on the right. Siri on the left. Never use Siri.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

Play pause on the right. Siri on the left. Never use Siri.

Same, although I use Siri to place voice calls. I should probably switch it to skip track, but I don't use that very often either.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My dad wants to offload all his pictures from his phone to his computer but keep them on his iPad. What would be the best/easiest way to make that work?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lol if you keep talking to your tinder matches when you see the green

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Eh personally I keep iMessage switched off anyway. I'm not sure what it's supposed to give you over normal SMS but it certainly isn't better reliability.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

No lie I get sorely disappointed when this happens. If I trust them enough, I'll ask them to add me on Facebook so I could use FB Messenger instead of dealing with SMS hell.

dissss posted:

Eh personally I keep iMessage switched off anyway. I'm not sure what it's supposed to give you over normal SMS but it certainly isn't better reliability.
were you not hugged as a child

e: actually, i'm going to counter that by saying iMessage is far more reliable if you live in a place with bad cell signal. I lived in a house surrounded by gigantic pine trees (and in a pretty isolated region) and sending SMSs or calls was a horrible experience. iMessage avoids all that.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
When the text bubble is blue, I actually reply to you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pivo posted:

I don't suppose you can get the original Hue app (the one with the grey icon)? I still use that and never have had this issue.

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Are you a serial killer?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

buglord posted:

were you not hugged as a child

e: actually, i'm going to counter that by saying iMessage is far more reliable if you live in a place with bad cell signal. I lived in a house surrounded by gigantic pine trees (and in a pretty isolated region) and sending SMSs or calls was a horrible experience. iMessage avoids all that.

If you have decent WiFi I guess that might be true, but if you only have a patchy data connection iMessage is extremely hit or miss for me. Sure it's supposed to failover to SMS but I've found it's better at the 'fail' part than the 'over'

Matt Lauer posted:

Are you a serial killer?

Someone sick of missed or duplicated messages.

I guess it'd be different if anyone I knew used iMessage for sending pictures or making group chats but with Facebook Messenger as ubiquitous as it is that isn't going to happen.

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 26, 2017

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

dissss posted:

- Full res images and videos can be received
- more than 160 characters before splitting a message
- messaging features don’t act correctly or work unless you’re using iMessage
- named group chats
- international messaging is free from iMessage to iMessage
- Using iMessage internationally over WiFi is free

You might not give a poo poo about any of those things but they’re reasons to use it. Also it’s plenty reliable no clue what kind of poo poo happened to you.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There is also a reasonable expectation that your iMessages can’t be easily intercepted. (There are better protocols and iMessage isn’t perfect, but it’s better than SMS.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My dad wants to offload all his pictures from his phone to his computer but keep them on his iPad. What would be the best/easiest way to make that work?

lol no one answered you we're too busy circlejerking

I'm assuming since your question implies that his phone and iPad are synced that he is using iCloud Photo Library or whatever

the point of the thing is to keep your photo library synced between all devices with it enabled
it doesn't really have a concept of keep it on this device only, the idea is the library is the same no matter what device you view it from

it DOES have a concept of 'dont keep the poo poo locally if you dont need it'
https://www.imore.com/how-free-space-your-iphone-or-ipad-icloud-photo-library
you can set the iPad to keep all originals and set the iPhone to only keep what it needs (Optimize Storage)

Pivo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 26, 2017

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

dissss posted:

I... what? :crossarms:
Why would anyone use SMS over messengers like iMessage, WhatsApp etc?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Because it’s more reliable.

The real question is why would you want to use iMessage over any of the other IP based options which are properly cross-platform.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
To help weed out my smart friends from my Android friends duh

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dissss posted:

The real question is why would you want to use iMessage over any of the other IP based options which are properly cross-platform.

iMessage is not owned and operated by Facebook, which is a vile company.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dissss posted:

lmao

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m trying to picture a fantasy world where SMS is more reliable than iMessage. I’ll let you know when I hear back from my text which will soon have finally made it through the phone network over Christmas.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Play/pause on the left, skip back on the right. Great for hopping back on a podcast if a bit of loud traffic nearby made me miss a bit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

dissss posted:

:randstare:

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just use signal.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Left bud to play and pause, right to skip tracks.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iMessage is a good alternative to something like Facebook Messenger because there's zero effort involved in using it and also the Messenger UI is loving garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Kilometers Davis posted:

Right to skip forward. Left to skip backward.

I pause music by removing an AirPod, like god intended.