Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Chris has made a rare appearance on his weird discord knock-off in order to provide the base with some fresh talking points for the new year.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-performance-tidbits

„As someone new to the verse and just coming aboard I cant tell you how important this post is and the impact it has on everyone with concerns over performance.. It is truly epic of The Creator to produce this message to all the backers and citizens supporting this games development. The Mr. Roberts has taken the time to address this issue or even make a post at all is very encouraging and signifies that he truly does care and that this game is moving forward and a steady pace.

It gives me great confidence to know that The Creator lays out a technical post such as this and makes me glad to be a part of this. I realize I am new but I have pledged a enormous amount by my standards and was already feeling guilty for doing so but this just boosts my faith in the development and the Creator of Star Citizen.

Thank you for your efforts and thank you to all the fellow backers of this game old and new. Just imagining what this game will be once performance is optimized and running at even 25% of the features planned for this game gives me chills and excitement. Its ground breaking and I hope that modern day servers can even handle it.
I also hope they work on SLI and Crossfire support in doing so maybe take the load off the servers.

Happy Holidays to all. A big Thank You to The Creator! AKA Chris Roberts but can we just call him The Creator? That should be his handle..“

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
edit : doublepost :bang:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:justpost: my friend.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

:justpost: my friend.

Just get on Twitch and stream 3.0 and give kayak some Wellington, my friend.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Weird.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Incitatus posted:

Titanic, does the word alpha mean anything to you?

Yes. :)

I think it means “definitely, unquestionably the best... but can’t be judged”? Is that close? :)

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://i.imgur.com/YSee1I0.mp4

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 26, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm gonna zero in on this point because it contains something that bugs the poo poo out of me. This insistence from Chris Roberts, and the cultists, that you need a "powerful PC" to play his game, the implicit statement being that his game is an avatar of gaming perfection that requires more than a mere mortal vessel to contain it.

The reason it bothers me is because for years I've been fighting one of the most pervasive lies in PC optimization history regarding the need of a "powerful PC" and why that might be the case. There are precisely two, and only two, reasons you need an absurdly powerful PC to play a game (or do anything else):

1) The game is using new graphics technologies that are just now in their infancy and might not even be optimized or build into the GPU architecture, they're pushing the edges of realistic physics calculations, they're pushing the edges of how many on-screen players can be in a single battle - anything where the developers are 100% aware that they're pushing it, and usually realize that in a couple of years hardware will be more than capable of handling it. "Max Settings" for these games is usually nothing more than hedging their bets.

2) The game is complete poo poo that fails to optimize nearly anything, wastes CPU cycles on nonsense that doesn't affect the player, overheated GPU contributions that are not visible to the player, constant calculation of irrelevant AI, and just wastes I/O through poor decisions and logic.

Star Citizen is #2 masquerading as #1. Star Citizen is not doing anything that hasn't been done before, far better, by smaller teams, and for cheaper. But there's an undercurrent to their bullshit that they're the next Crysis (engine choice deepens this illusion) and they're pushing the envelope so hard you guys that your PC running Star Citizen well is the de facto test for whether or not your gaming testicles have dropped.

It's all bullshit. It runs like poo poo because it is poo poo, and the only thing better hardware will do is allow Star Citizen to crash faster.

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing, disagreeing, or simply adding to what I said. :)

It’s definitely number 2, and I even said that the hack jobs have added up that it can no longer function. This isn’t elegant coding at all, I’ve got almost no doubt at all that SC is 95% brute force methods. CR was able to hide behind network speed and pc speed for a while, and then for a bit could claim to be pushing an envelope, but now it’s such a mottled hack over hack there’s nothing much left that can be done.

Star Citizen is currently a lovely arena shooter that can’t function with even a small number of active players.

It wants to be an mmo... but it appears that no code has actually been developed for an mmo. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, because I love calling it... Star Citizen has not yet begun development. :)

The current arena game simply cannot be tweaked to become a twitch based mmo. Chris Roberts absolutely refuses to come to terms with this, and he keeps throwing fish in a stink barrel hoping that the next person will buy from him because he just threw a fresh fish on top of the other dead fish. The barrel wreaks and is oozing fish gore, but the new fish on top sure do look tasty!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mne nravitsya posted:

My non-goon Christmas post for the devs who are hurting

I know some of the devs (as I have been in the same position as some of these guys once before in my career) are having a mental breakdown over christmas, and are seriously debating whether or not they can go back to work for this idiot in the new year: or would rather quit, have a clean start, and find a new job.

I honestly empathize for those who are. It’s not pretty when you’ve been overworked all year, your brain is fuzzy with exhaustion and stress, your family has had enough of you not being present in their lives, and the head jackass continues to tell you everything is your fault, when in reality it is he (and his inner circle) who refuse to be accountable.

For any of the devs (reading this) with an ounce of talent (or passion) for making games: this not the way it is everywhere. There are better places to work, and sometimes great games get made by people who all get along and talk to each other, collaborating as equals - regardless of title.

There are companies who care about their staff from the top down, and leadership that holds itself accountable to the press and the team when they screw up.

To the devs who read this, and are not still under the “fear and stockholm syndrome” influence: Don’t gently caress yourself (and your families) up mentally and emotionally for this. It is not worth it. The big guy will sail with millions of dollars in the end, and you will be broken and bitter, left holding the empty bag, when he waltzes out the door.

I know: I’ve been there.

Have a good break and get some rest. Think about what you love to do, and in the new year - if it is this - then do it. If it isn’t, do what’s right for you.

Merry Christmas

Great post, friend. I hope the shadow devs listen to your wisdom.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The Titanic posted:

It’s definitely number 2

Ye it's poo poo

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

That’s long been my working theory, that Starfield is Starflight (or highly Starflight-like), because the latter is the most Bethesda-esque sci-fi title of the classic PC era, a younger sister to the Ultima style of exploration/agency heavy gaming that Howard idealized and embraced to such success.

I could totally dig a Bethesda made Starflight if this is true at all. I didn’t much care for Fallout 4 though for some reason but I can let it slide because I really enjoyed Skyrim. It may have been that I was playing a character I could write the story for instead of follow a contrived plot telling me how I had to feel and be in various circumstances. It kept taking control away from me. And something about it just wasn’t as gripping.

But I’d love a AAA studio doing something like Starflight. I’d do things that are better left unsaid!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

An alpha game for alpha males.

How much you in for, commando?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

I've noticed this over the decades, and oft wondered if its an artifact of art being unable to keep pace with engineering, or eating all of the budget.

I really don’t know. Might be that AAA studios know what people like now, and it’s not the niche exploring game with infinite bounds. Stuff like NMS keeps the big studios away because they see it fail, but it fails for different reasons. Doesn’t matter though to the people with money.

Sports games and FPS games are a safe haven to live in. Occasionally something neat and different emerges like Horizon Zero Dawn, but that is ultimately just another third person action game that got highly tweaked and had a super neat environment that people liked.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Remember back in the initial pitch where they said that you'd be able to play it without a dedicated GPU, just with the onboard card? Ahahahahaha.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Remember back in the initial pitch where they said that you'd be able to play it without a dedicated GPU, just with the onboard card? Ahahahahaha.

They basically said anything that popped into thier heads to sell :airquote:pledges:airquote:. The scam was alive and kicking even then. So basically nothing has changed.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

They finally made it.

https://twitter.com/PixeLemonade/status/817893355195547649

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Krycek posted:

They basically said anything that popped into thier heads to sell :airquote:pledges:airquote:. The scam was alive and kicking even then. So basically nothing has changed.
To be fair, kickstarters are riddled with that sort of thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hashtag Star Marine

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

He's wearing a vr hat. Vr confirmed. Calling it now. They've probably had the drop-in code just waiting for the right time to release it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixel Lemonade is offline now. I guess they only paid for one year's worth of hosting on their fake site for the single positive article.

Drink up that pixel lemonade, backers. Drink it all up.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

„As someone new to the verse and just coming aboard I cant tell you how important this post is and the impact it has on everyone with concerns over performance.. It is truly epic of The Creator to produce this message to all the backers and citizens supporting this games development. The Mr. Roberts has taken the time to address this issue or even make a post at all is very encouraging and signifies that he truly does care and that this game is moving forward and a steady pace.

It gives me great confidence to know that The Creator lays out a technical post such as this and makes me glad to be a part of this. I realize I am new but I have pledged a enormous amount by my standards and was already feeling guilty for doing so but this just boosts my faith in the development and the Creator of Star Citizen.

Thank you for your efforts and thank you to all the fellow backers of this game old and new. Just imagining what this game will be once performance is optimized and running at even 25% of the features planned for this game gives me chills and excitement. Its ground breaking and I hope that modern day servers can even handle it.
I also hope they work on SLI and Crossfire support in doing so maybe take the load off the servers.

Happy Holidays to all. A big Thank You to The Creator! AKA Chris Roberts but can we just call him The Creator? That should be his handle..“

:yikes:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sarsapariller posted:

Pixel Lemonade is offline now. I guess they only paid for one year's worth of hosting on their fake site for the single positive article.

Drink up that pixel lemonade, backers. Drink it all up.

Hahaha

I was anticipating this, but doubted it would actually happen. Literally timed out of a one year hosting contract.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Yeah, nothing screams reassurance like "The Creator" having no idea that his game was running like dog poo poo in QA Testing Phase, Evocattii Closed Testing, PTU Closed Testing, PTU Open Testing, and now whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you mean it's not running good now for everyone? We had NoOoOooOoo IDEA!

My money now feels much better spent that he is reaching out to let us all know this was totally unexpected!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

star citizen is a christing mess

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm still banned from WTFo's Twitch, apparently permanently, because 6 months ago I suggested he play something fun that doesn't make him so miserable.

Can somebody queue up a song on his stream (https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus) for me? The lil jon bake a cake remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tVbVu9Mkg

And also wish him a Merry Christmas for me, too.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Crytek_legal_team could do it, but they're probably also perm banned.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

XK posted:

I'm still banned from WTFo's Twitch, apparently permanently, because 6 months ago I suggested he play something fun that doesn't make him so miserable.

Can somebody queue up a song on his stream (https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus) for me? The lil jon bake a cake remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tVbVu9Mkg

And also wish him a Merry Christmas for me, too.

done

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I see you just threw that in, FTR. Thanks for getting my back.

Edit: ^ lol beat me

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I think you forgot to wish him a Merry Christmas.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Want me to wish him a Merry Christmas from XK? Or another name?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

FailureToReport posted:

Want me to wish him a Merry Christmas from XK? Or another name?

Don't care. Just give him a Merry Christmas.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

:lol: The Major Tom song is playing on his stream now, and he's into it.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Jesus christ, reading his chat makes me want to vomit :|

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Two songs to go, can't happen soon enough, I feel like I'm slowly getting cancer being on this channel.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

!raffle

XK
Jul 9, 2001

He was low key getting down with cooking by the book.

Thanks for playing whisper down the alley at WTFo with me, FTR.

:glomp:

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

XK posted:

He was low key getting down with cooking by the book.

Thanks for playing whisper down the alley at WTFo with me, FTR.

:glomp:

*sniff*

he wished me a merry christmas back!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Nobody invited him anywhere this year, to get super trashed, wrap his hands around their neck, and slobber on them. :(

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Titanic posted:

How much you in for, commando?

All my dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why is beet wagon watching WTFO but no streaming Kayak?

Sad.