Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I could redo my life, then I definitely would have chosen to stay in my lovely dead end hometown for an extra year, a place I haven’t been to in what over a decade now and don’t ever plan on going back ever, working for a __________ entity to gain valuable life experiences, and living with my parents that I literally can’t stand being around for reasons I’m not going to explain on an Internet forums.

Yeah, I sure wish I could go back and change things sometimes.

Oh but civil service doesn’t need to be in your lovely hometown. You can move for it you say. Okay, but who’s going to be paying 18 year old me with a high school diploma living wages in an actual city with opportunity?

Who said anything about actual cities with opportunities? You’d get sent to rural Alaska or Dakota or somewhere that needs your help, not NYC or SF. You don’t get to choose in the military either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

chyaroh posted:

Best Christmas movie: Die Hard
Best Christmas song: "White Wine in the Sun" by Tim Minchin. Look it up on line.

Trump sucks, so does Turnbull.

I agree very much with this post.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

chyaroh posted:

Best Christmas movie: Die Hard
Best Christmas song: "White Wine in the Sun" by Tim Minchin. Look it up on line.

Trump sucks, so does Turnbull.

I have mixed feelings about White Wine. It’s a great song, and very emotional, but at the same time Tim had a habit of closing gigs on it and it always left me feeling a bit down.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Another model for fixing things, accelerate the shame:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/...pgtype=Homepage

If the piss tape drops I'm thinking we keep one of the main video screens at Times Square playing it on repeat for all eternity.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mobby_6kl posted:

Read up on Zivildienst in Germany/Austria, it was basically alternative civilian service for those who objected to the military and involved stuff like work at hospitals or nursing homes. It’s probably not a terrible idea but they shut it down for some reason :iiam:

they shut it down because they ended mandatory military service. zivildienst was the alternative to it, and when mil service ended, so did zivildienst. which is actually a real problem for the care industry, especially for senior homes and services for the disabled. (technically also for the military but idgaf)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

service guarantees citizenship

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

botany posted:

they shut it down because they ended mandatory military service. zivildienst was the alternative to it, and when mil service ended, so did zivildienst. which is actually a real problem for the care industry, especially for senior homes and services for the disabled. (technically also for the military but idgaf)

Well if your care industry had to rely on forced labour to be able to function I'd say the problem lies elsewhere.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BabyFur Denny posted:

Well if your care industry had to rely on forced labour to be able to function I'd say the problem lies elsewhere.

oh yeah absolutely. it's completely hosed, but forced labor was at least papering over the issue, which meant people got care.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BabyFur Denny posted:

Not enough people want to take care of the huge numbers of elderly (at least in the US) the free market will not provide a solution to this.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945624910898122752
:psyduck:
So he admits that repealing the mandate is a deliberate effort to sabotage the ACA, that's surely going to go over well!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sheep-dodger posted:

So he admits that repealing the mandate is a deliberate effort to sabotage the ACA, that's surely going to go over well!

He's said this before.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Good morning goons! I hope you had a nice Christmas. I spent mine ragging on the Disney parade for having the jewish kid on the naughty list, and then we capped it off with watching Airplane!.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BigglesSWE posted:

I actually stayed at the Trump Soho in NYC earlier this year. (My dad made the reservations based on price and location).

It was actually a pretty good hotel with good service, it just had the worst name imaginable. Just a few days ago they renamed it and it has no more affiliations with the Trump-empire so it ends well.

These things are all connected. It was very cheap for its class and location because the name put off potential customers. That’s why they renamed it. It won’t be such a good bargain next year.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/945646491955290113

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Back to work I see.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp, pack it in folks

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean if fox and friends say it's true it must be.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's the Trump that stole Christmas.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Any person who accuses me of ANYTHING and does not instantly provide irrevocable truth (which they can't SAD) is a liar and a traitor. FBI TAINTED HILLARY HILLARY. *appoints a leper to head the CDC*

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Not enough people want to take care of the huge numbers of elderly (at least in the US) the free market will not provide a solution to this.

Maybe paying them more would attract more people? Certainly a better solution than making their exploitation mandatory.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A stable and grounded form of bitcoin under development

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Re: Challange Coins. They're tacky baubles that are given out (or in some cases bought) and are p much worthless. That said, every time I move (all the time.) I manage to lose one somehow and I h ave spent a lot of time and effort on the internet/ebay trying to reacquire them. They're basically photos of events I didn't bring a camera to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Also infinitely fractable!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Salt Lake Tribune does a Utahn of the Year where the criteria can be as damaging as good.
This year their Utahn of the Year was Orrin Hatch

Here's the first few paragraphs of an incredibly damning editorial:

quote:

These things are often misunderstood. So, lest our readers, or the honoree himself, get the wrong impression, let us repeat the idea behind The Salt Lake Tribune’s Utahn of the Year designation.

The criteria are not set in stone. But this year, as many times in the past, The Tribune has assigned the label to the Utahn who, over the past 12 months, has done the most. Has made the most news. Has had the biggest impact. For good or for ill.

The selection of Sen. Orrin G. Hatch as the 2017 Utahn of the Year has little to do with the fact that, after 42 years, he is the longest-serving Republican senator in U.S. history, that he has been a senator from Utah longer than three-fifths of the state’s population has been alive.

It has everything to do with recognizing:

Hatch’s part in the dramatic dismantling of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments.
His role as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee in passing a major overhaul of the nation’s tax code.
His utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power.
Each of these actions stands to impact the lives of every Utahn, now and for years to come. Whether those Utahns approve or disapprove of those actions has little consequence in this specific recognition. Only the breadth and depth of their significance matters.

Someone either didn't read the article or was hoping people wouldn't read it.
https://twitter.com/OrrinHatch/status/945375067927490560

Based on the fact he didn't link to it, I think the latter which just ties in perfectly with the theme of the article.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Trump's tweets seem slightly more unhinged than usual this morning.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

There Bias Two posted:

Trump's tweets seem slightly more unhinged than usual this morning.

He's probably just tired after winning the War on Christmas.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sheep-dodger posted:

His supporters don’t care. When rates shot up because Trump refused to fund it a few months back, my brother in law was like “See I TOLD YOU OBAMACARE DOESN’T WORK.”

There’s no saving these people.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like the "eventually" in that tweet. "We'll eventually come up with a new health care plan. You know, if we get around to it. Whatever."

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

RevKrule posted:

The Salt Lake Tribune does a Utahn of the Year where the criteria can be as damaging as good.
This year their Utahn of the Year was Orrin Hatch

Here's the first few paragraphs of an incredibly damning editorial:

Someone either didn't read the article or was hoping people wouldn't read it.
https://twitter.com/OrrinHatch/status/945375067927490560

Based on the fact he didn't link to it, I think the latter which just ties in perfectly with the theme of the article.

Holy poo poo.
Now if only Utah would vote for someone without an R next to their name

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Spoken like a true lover of documents who never watches TV.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The GOP is gonna get on that new health care system right after they destroy medicare and social security.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why does Orrin Hatch's forehead look so small

It's like he's had part of his head amputated

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Data Graham posted:

Why does Orrin Hatch's forehead look so small

It's like he's had part of his head amputated

A threehead, if you will.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Ya'll haven't even noticed that he linked a fake Fox and Friends, which is pretty much only followed by bots. Of course none of his diehard Trumpets caught that either, they're all screaming that Hillary should be dragged into the street and executed.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Heh, Fox and Frlends - I didn't catch it. A very Grassley move.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moatman posted:

Holy poo poo.
Now if only Utah would vote for someone without an R next to their name

Literally never going to happen until there's a Mormon democrat for office and that ain't going to happen when you subscribe to a religion who thought that black people weren't worthy of inclusion in your religion until the 1970s.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sheep-dodger posted:

There are some folks who say "Health Care" and some that say "Healthcare"

Then there's this rear end in a top hat

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Literally never going to happen until there's a Mormon democrat for office and that ain't going to happen when you subscribe to a religion who thought that black people weren't worthy of inclusion in your religion until the 1970s.

I thought Reid was Mormon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tensokuu posted:

Ya'll haven't even noticed that he linked a fake Fox and Friends, which is pretty much only followed by bots. Of course none of his diehard Trumpets caught that either, they're all screaming that Hillary should be dragged into the street and executed.

Aw man, I saw the weird I and actually followed the link to dig into it and see if he just typoed or if he was pointing to a bogus source, but it went to a Twitter page that looked kindasorta legit and for all I knew was the real one because maybe F&F really actually sucks so I didn't even pursue it or bring it up. This is how I fail phishing tests too :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's the estimate for next year's health care premium increase due to the individual mandate repeal, >30% right?

Might not want to be claiming credit for that one...

• Locked thread