Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

PneumonicBook posted:

Go go survivor benefits!

Hahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Hahahahahahaha

Just pay into SBP brah

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

The only reasonable explanation for this policy is it was enacted so all personnel being denied transfer separation for another service and program have to hang out with fat kids and further piss us off

Lol fatties triggering high speed low drag seabees erryday

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

PneumonicBook posted:

Just pay into SBP brah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

Lol fatties triggering high speed low drag seabees erryday

He's a cfl and has to deal with them intimately.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's a cfl and has to deal with them intimately.

Yea but the only people who become cfls are the moto tards that bring it upon themselves to instill a culture of fitness to ensure a proper navy warrior blah blah blah imma go get some big Macs, anyone want some?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was voluntold :lol:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea but the only people who become cfls are the moto tards that bring it upon themselves to instill a culture of fitness to ensure a proper navy warrior blah blah blah imma go get some big Macs, anyone want some?

I might get in enough shape to become CFL so I can be like the best CFL I had, prior enlisted O-4 type, who just didn't give a gently caress and looked out for everybody.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was voluntold :lol:

See that's what you get for being in shape, extra responsibility!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My entire career has been "competence will be punished" thus far

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

My entire career The entire Navy has been "competence will be punished" thus far

FTFY

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, clarify something for an ignorant aviator: on a five-and-dime watch rotation, does that mean that each individual person is standing watch every 5 hours in 15, or does that just mean that each duty section has to cover watches during that period, and individual people don't necessarily get a watch each time. Because if it's the former, I don't understand how a human being from the planet Earth could possibly think that's a good way to do business.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, clarify something for an ignorant aviator: on a five-and-dime watch rotation, does that mean that each individual person is standing watch every 5 hours in 15, or does that just mean that each duty section has to cover watches during that period, and individual people don't necessarily get a watch each time. Because if it's the former, I don't understand how a human being from the planet Earth could possibly think that's a good way to do business.

It's surface Navy. Of course it's 5 on and 10 off for everyone in the watch section.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, clarify something for an ignorant aviator: on a five-and-dime watch rotation, does that mean that each individual person is standing watch every 5 hours in 15

It's better than 6 and 6s.

That's where you do 6 hours on, 6 hours off. If it's working hours, you're working when you're off watch.

I have gone days without sleep and didn't think that much of it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

That's where you do 6 hours on, 6 hours off. If it's working hours, you're working when you're off watch.

When we were in a two person watch rotation (lmfao) we did 5 on, 7 off, 7 on, 5 off. That turns you into a zombie pretty quickly, granted nothing like nuke fuckery.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KetTarma posted:

Well sure, for nukes it's obviously going to be the worst possible case, but

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's surface Navy. Of course it's 5 on and 10 off for everyone in the watch section.

:(

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

When we were in a two person watch rotation (lmfao) we did 5 on, 7 off, 7 on, 5 off. That turns you into a zombie pretty quickly, granted nothing like nuke fuckery.

My favorite part was when they wouldn’t let me get qual’d to relieve some of the burden on you two bastards, like I was already up there babysitting my idiots for 8 hours how bad could it have been having me stand that watch too?

Second favorite part was when they took the most incompetent watch standers and made then stand air, sure Fc1 you can barely handle CSC, air should be no problem for you!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

My favorite part was when they wouldn’t let me get qual’d to relieve some of the burden on you two bastards, like I was already up there babysitting my idiots for 8 hours how bad could it have been having me stand that watch too?

Second favorite part was when they took the most incompetent watch standers and made then stand air, sure Fc1 you can barely handle CSC, air should be no problem for you!

My favorite part of that was when I was sitting air ui and dude couldn't remember the actual secret callsigns for the day so told me to just put out "friend" over the loving net. Because that's fine to do.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

My favorite part of that was when I was sitting air ui and dude couldn't remember the actual secret callsigns for the day so told me to just put out "friend" over the loving net. Because that's fine to do.
Hello friend de A5S k

Irt fat navy, this might just be a case of senior leadership listening to commanding officers who have said repeatedly that you're making me fire good techs and because of minimal manning you gave me four guys: two of which are fat and two of which are capable of basic math (spoiler: they're the same two guys).

It seems inevitable to me that some COs have been in the position that if CFL doesn't pretend this PRT failure didn't happen, the ship will fail to sail the moment its radar irreparably breaks and because of PERS, they wont have a replacement for four years. But you can't fire ET3 Illiterate because there isn't a semi-annual reading comprehension exam.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sorry for the Facebook link, but they didn't seem to post it anywhere else.

https://www.facebook.com/SUBLANT/videos/2077320272285083/

loving virginias and all their open space.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Became CFL for that sweet, sweet EP. I don’t give a gently caress about fatties or the Navy, I just want more money.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Became CFL for that sweet, sweet EP. I don’t give a gently caress about fatties or the Navy, I just want more money.

I generally gave the fatties whatever numbers they needed as long as they tried.

If they flat out quit or gave up whatever man I'm not going to force you to stay in.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Laranzu posted:

I generally gave the fatties whatever numbers they needed as long as they tried.

If they flat out quit or gave up whatever man I'm not going to force you to stay in.

Our CO told us "don't self-select" for separation. Our CFL did his best to make sure everyone passed. Then we got a guy who walked for the mile and failed. Ok, called a bad day, no problem. Come back in six weeks and retake. No harm, no foul. Six weeks later, walked the mile and failed again. Ok. We gave you six weeks to prepare and you told us to screw ourselves; ADSEP for you for PFA failures. He calls JAG, and now there's a NAVADMIN. We're going to have to find something else to separate him for now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you fail the run you get to call jag on your command? lol navy is bitchmade

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
why would you want to separate such a smart sailor?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Ok, you are gonna have to tell me which idiot that was. I bet I could get it right in three guesses though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

Ok, you are gonna have to tell me which idiot that was. I bet I could get it right in three guesses though.

The dude who broke his arm masturbating too much.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You just described like 10% of the navy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was just thinking about some of the people I served with who broke new ground in being fuckups and kept the spotlight off of idiots like me who were just bad at Navy.

One guy broke a toilet after trying to flush an apple.

And then there was the time a guy decided to use a four day weekend to drive to Maine, from San Diego to visit family.

And then there was a guy who had some sort of storage unit or something on base and was keeping a pet cat in there, and he either got caught or the cat died.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And then there was the time a guy decided to use a four day weekend to drive to Maine, from San Diego to visit family.

:lol: Did he even get there in 4 days?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Godholio posted:

1 Day 22 hours according to Google, with a small cross into Canada. Hugged his family and then drove back.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

Yeah, he made it there, he didn't get back in time, and after the apple incident and the cat thing, they kept a closer eye on him.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Null Integer posted:

1 Day 22 hours according to Google, with a small cross into Canada. Hugged his family and then drove back.

What?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Our CO told us "don't self-select" for separation. Our CFL did his best to make sure everyone passed. Then we got a guy who walked for the mile and failed. Ok, called a bad day, no problem. Come back in six weeks and retake. No harm, no foul. Six weeks later, walked the mile and failed again. Ok. We gave you six weeks to prepare and you told us to screw ourselves; ADSEP for you for PFA failures. He calls JAG, and now there's a NAVADMIN. We're going to have to find something else to separate him for now.

One thing that some of the squadrons would do was send people in to Mental Health on a command directed evaluation. The sailor got evaluated, we looked for what was their lack of motivation doing something, etc. After so many attempts, it was an adsep through whatever diagnosis they had, most being an adjustment disorder. The DH of Mental Health isn't the one that drafts the separation stuff, it falls on the command, but the staff can help find out why this dude is just walking and failing on purpose.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

Boon posted:

Our bridge watches routinely were five and dimes because "it wasnt fair to other watch-stations" if we went to four-section rotations.

This happened all the time on the small boys I've been on in Eng Dept. The last one though all our watch stations were on 4 section rotation, with EOOW's on 5 or 6. Life was good on that ship.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Man, my last shipboard CG tour I was so fat on QMOW that I qualified BMOW just so I wouldn't be bored and could help out when they got really short.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

From the nation that brought you VW dieselgate, and the salt mine-nuclear waste storage that's collapsing comes more German engineering excellence.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17185/the-german-navy-has-decided-to-return-their-new-frigate-to-the-ship-store-this-christmas

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals. Think about the people who made terrible decisions and are on duty today.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The circadian watch cycle folks at NPS say five and dimes is the absolute worst watch rotation. So of course SWOs love it.

The DESRON folks on deployment with me went to this rotation for a while and they were zombies about 3 days in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think the attraction to five and dimes rests in the shared motivation watch teams get to qualify additional watch standers and rotate them through secretly before the senior watch officer finds out, then pretend you didn't know any better.

I think I'd rather be 6 on 6 off with every third day off so I could legit rack out for ten hours.

We did four section circadian rhythm for a bit. It was awesome. Someone figure out how to keep it going in port and use your leadership to distribute info and manage cleanliness so you don't waste the reduced co-working time that is a requirement in meetings and clampdowns.