Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yes the HEB butcher sucks. Since you are in Texas why didn't you just go to a meat market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I asked while I was there to get my weekly groceries and took "yes we have it" at face value. :shrug:

La Michoacana was plan B but I was passing by one of the large Asian grocers and thought I'd give it a shot.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

Right now I have the pork belly scored, seasoned, rolled, tied, and divided into 4 big pieces and sitting in bags in the fridge. The only comment I have about the Kenji recipe is this bit:

This is pretty much impossible, because a mixture of kosher salt and baking powder does not stick to the dry pig skin of a rolled-up pork belly. I mean you can rub it if you really want to but it just falls right off again.

Also, in the recipe description he says "After scoring, salting, seasoning, and rolling a pork belly, the entire exterior gets rubbed with a mix of kosher salt and baking powder in order to break down some of its musculature..."

But...how's it going to do that? The skin's impermeable and backed by a thick layer of fat, that salt and baking powder isn't going to get to the musculature in the first place.

I think it's still going to wind up tasty, however.

I had to look up the definition of the word musculature to know this, but the word can refer to the structure of an organ or body, not just muscles. Probably could have used a better word. As for rubbing on a dry surface, idk.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SubG posted:

They then discard the longer estimates, based on the assumption that residential refrigerators can't be relied upon to maintain a temperature under 5 C/41 F. If your fridge can maintain 5 C then their recommendation then becomes 10 days, or indefinitely for under 3 C/37 F.
I don't think this is about the quality of home fridges, right, but rather how small they are, how big the door is, and how often they're opened? I wouldn't trust that either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think this is about the quality of home fridges, right, but rather how small they are, how big the door is, and how often they're opened? I wouldn't trust that either.
I guess I wouldn't say that I trust it either, but know from empirical investigation that my not-particularly-good, over-a-decade-old refrigerator still maintains 4 C/39 F with the thermostat set at 4/10. Measured both via an industrial IR thermometer on various places in the fridge as well as, e.g. a Thermapen in liquids in the fridge.

And if your fridge is usually at 5 C/41 F and you're leaving the door open long enough for everything to warm up enough that C. botulinum spores are germinating then holy poo poo you're going to have other health issues long before botulinum intoxication kills you.

But anyway no, it isn't about the size of the cavity, the door, or anything like that. The citation in the Nummer paper used to justify the recommendation in the publication you linked is to the 1999 Audits International U.S. Food Temperature Evaluation (link). The data in that publication comes from self-reported measurements of food taken by individuals in the study (who were provided with calibrated thermometers and instructions). The average measured temperature of refrigerated products was 39.2 F, with a minimum of 21 F, a maximum of 70 F(!), with 27% of results being over 41 F.

That's the basis of the recommendation. The same data from 2007 (link) gives an average temperature of 38.2 F (min 23, max 63), with 17% of results being over 41 F.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Discussion Quorum posted:

Porchetta trip report, day -3: apparently asking the grocery store if they can get me a "whole pork belly" is insufficient in America, where everyone is a giant baby who can't eat meat with skin or other identifiable animal parts.

HEB, who told me on Monday that they always have it on hand, had what turned out to be 4lb skinless sections. Lesson learned, be really specific about uncommon cuts :negative:

After calling several grocery stores in the area and getting nowhere ("Sure we have pork bellies... What? Skin? No lol"), I tried an Asian market and found frozen, skin-on half bellies. It's thawing in the fridge now, to be prepped tomorrow morning and in the bath tomorrow night. :toot:

I had to get it at a Latin market when I bought it to do pork belly bites and when I did my porchetta at my family's house we custom ordered it from a local butcher ahead of time.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I want to do duck confit for Christmas morning. Serious Eats says that 155 degrees for 36 hours is the way to go. ChefSteps claims that the magic equation is 158 degrees for 16 hours. That's a pretty big time difference. Am I going to regret taking the easy way out and going with 158/16 or would the extra 20 hours be better spent driving all over town because all the grocery stores are sold out of duck legs?

(Modernist Cuisine says to brine for 12 hours and then cook at 149 for a day. That's not happening unless someone can offer a really convincing argument that it's actually superior to not brining.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would take chefsteps and Modernist Cuisine over kenji just because they're an army of test kitchen chefs vs just one guy's opinions.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Porkbelly prepared and in the fridge. 2 pieces of 2kg each. Used garlic after all.
Several things did not go my way:

1. The belly had too much meat on it, it was a bitch to roll and the skin did not close fully.
2. Binding is way harder than I thought and it's not pretty.
3. The pieces are too large for my cambro, so I have to use the giant cambro I bought, never used it before. I have a Styrofoam box for insulation. Can only hope the Anova is strong enough.
4. The pieces just about fit my Dutch oven, deep frying will be an experience.

Unless this is mindbogglingly good, I swear I will never attempt it again.
Just in case I bought enough pasta to feed people as a backup.

I will drill a custom hole in the cambro lid, then put the meat in around midnight tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I have the larger cambro and have never bothered to insulate it; my Anova has no trouble maintaining 180 F (highest I've gone) so you should have no difficulty aside from dying of botulism (I kid).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What is the texture like for chuck roast cooked at 136 for 18-24 hours? I'm a little worried about some of the grandparents being able to chew it on Christmas. The only chuck I've sous vided before was Kenji's BBQ recipe.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hopper posted:

3. The pieces are too large for my cambro, so I have to use the giant cambro I bought, never used it before. I have a Styrofoam box for insulation. Can only hope the Anova is strong enough.
4. The pieces just about fit my Dutch oven, deep frying will be an experience.

Unless this is mindbogglingly good, I swear I will never attempt it again.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one who struggled.

The half pork belly from the Asian grocery was a disaster, compounded by my inexperience in dealing with whole cuts and pork belly in general. Upon thawing and unwrapping, it was pretty obvious I had chosen poorly - the shape was uneven and about 1/4 of the skin was missing (I guess they took off the entire area that had nipples?). After trimming off the excess and the skinless region, I ended up with a piece that was too stubby to roll properly. The whole thing was only $25 and I saved the trimmings for salt pork and chicharrones, so it wasn't a total waste.

Fortunately, I found a real butcher who had whole frozen Berkshire bellies. :shepspends: Speed-thawed it in an ice bath, squared it off to about 9lbs with another ~4 to use for something else, and tied it up whole - Kenji was right about this being much easier. Due to time constraints the rest period was abbreviated and I'm only going about 30 hours, but he indicated in the article comments that this would still turn out OK. I'm cooking half tomorrow and refreezing the other half - hopefully the belly will tolerate this.

Regarding spreading the salt/baking powder mixture on dry skin: I found that the exterior ended up being a little wet just due to moisture coming from the meat onto the cutting board. However, it still didn't visibly stick, with the baking powder disappearing into the moisture more or less immediately as I rubbed it in. I had no gauge of how much was actually on the skin so I stopped after using about half of the mixture and will hope for the best.

Regarding #3, I have a 5 gallon container and my Anova handles it fine, just allow plenty of time to heat up. It took around 1:15 to hit 155, but putting the pork in straight from the fridge only knocked it down a couple degrees.

And yeah, I've definitely considered that I could have done a standing rib roast for about the same cost and 1/10th the legwork and cleanup.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Human Tornada posted:

What is the texture like for chuck roast cooked at 136 for 18-24 hours? I'm a little worried about some of the grandparents being able to chew it on Christmas. The only chuck I've sous vided before was Kenji's BBQ recipe.

I can't directly answer your question, but if you have a super sharp knife and can make some super thin slices, that's a way to make it easier to eat if it comes out tough.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Can anyone tell me What’s a good temperature for top sirloin?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So it's 5:30 am. Meat has been in thesis vide for 4 hours now. No I didn't get up to check I was playing HZD and didn't look at the clock.
So far the A nova manages the large container splendidly. I used hot water from the sink + 3 l boiling water from the kettle, which gave me a starting temp of ~64. Got to 69 in no time. I round it up to 69 since some of you said you had problems with the fat dissolving.

No water loss to vapour so far as I packed the container into the Styrofoam box, lid with a cut out that's only 1mm wider than the anova at most, sealed that with a canning jar rubber ring, then closed the Styrofoam box as far a possible and put some Styrofoam sheets left and right next to the nova where the ideas open.
I'll go to bed and check in 6 hours but so far it looks good.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EwokEntourage posted:

Can anyone tell me What’s a good temperature for top sirloin?

I usually do sirloin steaks at 131 F since it's a relatively lean cut compared to ribeye or strip, but I still want to achieve pasteurization in under 3 hours for an inch thick steak.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 24, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
10hrs into my orchestra. Not a single mm of water evaporated, bags are still intact, temperature is is at 69.5C, however, but unless it goes over 70C I am not doing anything.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
All the talk of porchetta and turchetta primed me to buy a lambchetta when I saw it in the window of one of the butchers stalls in Redding Terminal Market. The guy at the counter suggested a 130F internal temp, and that seems to be the correct temp for lamb loin, so that seems like a reasonable temperature, any suggestions on time? It's 2.5lbs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I am doing thick strips of pork belly, marinaded in molasses and mustard which I am going to pan sear as lardons and toss with micro greens in a salad with champagne as a dressing.
Topped with a hunk of butter poached lobster.
Served with a lobster bisque (hence the lobster).
And a 12 hour puddled prime rib rubbed with the same mustard that the champagne in the salad dressing will be used with.

I consider myself quite fancy.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I am doing thick strips of pork belly, marinaded in molasses and mustard which I am going to pan sear as lardons and toss with micro greens in a salad with champagne as a dressing.
Topped with a hunk of butter poached lobster.
Served with a lobster bisque (hence the lobster).
And a 12 hour puddled prime rib rubbed with the same mustard that the champagne in the salad dressing will be used with.

I consider myself quite fancy.

That sounds incredibly good

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The porchetta was a success. Will post some pics later, but had a couple observations for those who are still in the middle of the process.

First, this is insanely rich. I had about 4lbs for 7 people and have a ton of leftovers. The recipe called for approximately 1lb/diner and while it does cook down a lot, lmao that is way too much.

Also, use less oil than you think you need and fry this thing outside if you can. I put just over 2.5qt in my 7qt dutch oven (just enough to get good thermometer coverage) and even with a splatter screen my kitchen is pretty :stonk: right now.

Edit: Also, be careful what you use to lower into the oil. I used tongs on one end and a spider on the other, and it literally instantly welded itself to the spider.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 24, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can't go outside sadly. But I kept a lot of cardboard boxes which I will use as a splatter screen on 3 sides of my stovetop, plus a realms splatter screen for on top.

Also 4 lbs for 7? Well poo poo I have 7 for 6, but I planned with leftovers, so maybe I'll just eat porchetta all week...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I wouldn't want a flammable splatter screen covered in oil and put next to open flames, personally

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Broke down 2 beef tenderloin today. Got 12 8oz filet out of it. 2lbs ground beef and a roast and beef medallions. Going to puddle for 140F for 1.5hrs with garlic salt and butter in the bag. Super pumped for no turkey or ham dinner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Jewish-style sous vide brisket (really just the flat)? Got some requests to try one -- I see a lot of recipes for a 48 hour brisket, but would bagging it with onions/garlic replicate that stewey-taste?

I've never done a Jewish style brisket but have done 36hr @ 155F with just salt and pepper then smoked for 2 hours and it turned out awesome. Don't know how adding the veggies will change it up. This is the guide I used.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 25, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Cooking Christmas dinner at my in-laws. They got a porterhouse roast instead of prime rib and I wasn't sure how to cook it. After someone in the cooking questions thread suggested separating the tenderloin and strip parts before roasting... I figured I'd push it farther and sous vide it since I took the trouble of bringing my Anova in my luggage.

6 hours at 54.5C, then cut into steaks and pan seared.

My partner's tiny Asian parents ended up eating the whole ~1 inch thick tenderloin and strip steak, veggies AND had room for dessert. :stare:

I'll take that as a compliment. :v:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

kirtar posted:

I usually do sirloin steaks at 131 F since it's a relatively lean cut compared to ribeye or strip, but I still want to achieve pasteurization in under 3 hours for an inch thick steak.

Thanks. 130 for about 2 hours and then finished on the grill turned out great

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I wouldn't want a flammable splatter screen covered in oil and put next to open flames, personally

Yeah, me neither, luckily being able to do that is one of the few advantages of an electric stovetop over a gas range.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's definitely less unsafe, but I would still be paranoid and thinking about autoignition temperatures. Here's a big PDF if you're also kinda paranoid.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The FoodSaver V2244 is on sale for $30 at the moment if any of you need a cheap vacuum sealer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CizqAbX1VYTW8

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Thoughts/comments:

1. I used powdered garlic instead of mined garlic because while I thought I had garlic, when I got home from the store I realized I didn't and didn't feel like going back.
2. I think tying it with a butcher's knot and one continuous length of twine would be easier than cutting individual lengths and tying a bunch of knots.
3. I didn't bother trimming it or squaring it off or anything.
4. I already mentioned the bit about salt and baking soda not sticking well to pork rind. Really, I don't see what that step does at all.
5. There weren't any "bag juices" to speak of, there was so much gelatin that everything totally gelled up when I iced it down. I just peeled off the big chunks to melt in a pan for the sauce, that turned out great. And the thin layer coating the entire segment or porchetta I just rinsed off.
6. I wdidn't just add 2 quarts of oil into a pot and start heating it and I'm glad I didn't, because even with the surface of the pork dried off entirely the boiling is *violent* at first. I put the roast in the pot and started filling it with water up to what looked like a safe fill level, and then dumped it out, dried everything off, and refilled it with oil to that level.
7. Gas stove, so just to be even safer after the oil got up to temperature I turned the burner off entirely when putting the meat in, and then turned it back on. I'd recommend putting the lid on as soon as you put the meat in and keeping it on until it quiets down a bit. Same goes for after you flip it. My pot was literally pinging with little steam explosions for a couple of minutes after each transition. Honestly, I think you could just forget the whole bit with ladling hot oil over the top of it and just put it in, wait a while, flip it, and repeat.
8. Holy poo poo this was good. Also so fatty (duh) you hate yourself afterwards. The earlier commenter who pointed out that not much fat actually renders out is entirely correct. I still have a segment of this in the freezer, I might try doing that bit with another method.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Baking soda makes the skin more alkaline, which makes it brown faster (also why pretzels are dunked in alkaline water to get browner and why people use an egg wash to brown pie crusts)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 26, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I know what it's *for* but I dispute it does any good in this recipe.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

In the future, I would probably skip quaring off the ends before frying. Not that those were wasted - for lunch today I pan-fried the trimmed ends and put them on a sandwich with some homemade mayo and a squirt of habanero sauce.

The final pic is lighter than reality due to the camera not liking the dark countertop, but I didn't quite get the crackling crust I wanted. I think I had too big of a temperature drop when I put it in and either my range is too weak or I was too timid with the dial (or both). Eventually pulled it because I was worried about overcooking the inside. Still turned out well and even my mom, who would never eat pork skin under normal circumstances, loved it.

Also, that can of Coke Zero ended up in half of my pictures from the day and I have no idea to whom it belonged. I was drinking beer :byodood:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have wanted to make one of those porchettas for years now. With my week off I think I may have to attempt it. I did a whole turketta last year but didn't deep fry it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Finally got a joule for Christmas! Any tips/recommendations?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Finally got a joule for Christmas! Any tips/recommendations?

I did the chefsteps chuck roast a couple of weeks back, and it was a huge hit:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

I only used about 3 pounds of chuck instead of one of their larger roasts, but I did do a lot of trimming then roll everything into a tight roast shape. It was both beautiful and delicious.

Otherwise, pork tenderloin, done about 138 or 140 for three-ish hours, browned under the broiler, and served grenobloise (with a thick sauce/paste of capers, lemon, parsley, and lightly-browned butter that's usually used for fish) is fuckin awesome.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have a friend coming over the day after tomorrow for dinner who has a Michelin Star. I want to impress him and I’m thinking water bathed lamb. Anyone have any recipes that spring to mind that look and taste phenomenal? I like French laundry’s 5 cuts but none of it is sous vide. Cheers.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

I have a friend coming over the day after tomorrow for dinner who has a Michelin Star. I want to impress him and I’m thinking water bathed lamb. Anyone have any recipes that spring to mind that look and taste phenomenal? I like French laundry’s 5 cuts but none of it is sous vide. Cheers.

Personally, if I were trying to impress the head chef of a Michelin starred restaurant, I would go with relatively simple and hearty stuff I've made before and won't gently caress up and make sure to season it well. I still won't succeed at impressing them (unless I guess if I have hidden world-class talents), but at least it will be tasty.

I'd go with pan-seared duck breast with thyme, modernist mac and cheese, and garlic green beans sauteed with the duck fat.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That's pretty good advice. I have a cousin who married a pretty successful chef and he is pretty awesome dude who loves talking about food, I do well with a Mexican food recipe that is hearty and he may not be aware of, I am no where skilled as he is but I know it's a drat tasty meal he will appreciate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah that’s a pretty good idea. What’s this modernist Mac and cheese then it seems there’s a few recipes?
We have some pork tenderloin in the fridge too I may try and use that. Probably best to not try something too nuts and cock it up.