Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yes but have you considered that John Oliver is terrible, unfunny, a bad journalist, and ideologically unacceptable

Citation needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Citation needed.

I'm like 99% sure the cat on the left is about to turn in to Agent Smith.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ikari Worrier posted:

Okay I'll bite why is Oliver now one of the bad ones?

I think there are some concerns about the quality of research done for his segments and their biases, but I don't know the details.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I honestly don't care if the gop makes it easier to kill off baby boomers in nursing homes. Seems pretty short-sighted if you're a republican tho

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Ikari Worrier posted:

Okay I'll bite why is Oliver now one of the bad ones?
Don't take the obvious trollbait bud. Pretty sure the guy whose avatar got axed upon last banning isn't arguing in good faith.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Abner Assington posted:

The Ref has Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey, both noted poo poo human beings, and was already a double poo poo movie. It's poo poo.

Kevin Spacey is a poo poo human being but the movie is good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

Any person who accuses me of ANYTHING and does not instantly provide irrevocable truth (which they can't SAD) is a liar and a traitor. FBI TAINTED HILLARY HILLARY. *appoints a leper to head the CDC*

a leper would be a great choice to head the CDC, they're intimately aware of the value of not just epidemic prevention but of compliance with health measures whose value isn't necessarily obvious until it keeps you from dying of secondary infections

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2016/12/27/14038406/donald-trump-frankfurt-school-brexit-critical-theory

This is an interesting article/interview that discusses issues that I've felt for a while - long before Trump - but could never quite express coherently. His "presidency" is as much a symptom of cultural decay as political dysfunction, and I almost think that's more worrying than all the ways in which our politics are so partisan and hamstrung. We can always vote in Democrats and make systemic changes, but culture is more insidious and longer lasting (if that makes any sense at all).

If anyone is familiar with the Frankfurt school and knows of any good books on the subject, I'd be very interested in learning more.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ZobarStyl posted:

Don't take the obvious trollbait bud. Pretty sure the guy whose avatar got axed upon last banning isn't arguing in good faith.

I was mostly just curious to see what dumb bullshit he'd come up with tbh v:shobon:v

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Coelacanthian posted:

I have some inside info on this. The AP article being circulated about his trip is word for word the press release from his family. The kid has literally been loving around for 3 years, going from port to port drinking and golfing and struggling through such hardships as flying commercial airlines occasionally.

The interesting thing to me is that the family itself is an incorporated business. The boat thes riding in is able to be written off (along with a lot of expenses) if the family can spin this as a kind of business trip. Like he's gaining management experience or something. It's super loving gross.

Ask me anything. The kid is not a bad guy, just so unbelievably sheltered and clueless as to the extent of his privelage.

A part of me felt like this got overlooked, but to be honest with you, is there any other question, other than: "why are these assholes such greedy assholes?" :(

This is a scam of the most devilish order. Simple, preys on the desperate.

^^^^
Far as I can tell, GJB is just one big fan of black comedy. :(:hf::(

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Reik posted:

It's kind of weird to think that an entire state has been taken over by a cult.

Taken over? I though it was the express purpose of Utah.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Literally never going to happen until there's a Mormon democrat for office and that ain't going to happen when you subscribe to a religion who thought that black people weren't worthy of inclusion in your religion until the 1970s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Matheson

A DINO, but still. Actually his dad was a pretty solid governor and was also a Democrat.

Don't forget, Salt Lake County votes D overwhelmingly, but is drowned out by the Republican hordes in the rest of the state.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ZobarStyl posted:

I was trolling or caricaturing the people who hate John Oliver actually, I hoped that was more clear. :saddowns:

also it was a toxx banning in the Great Election Massacre

I don't remember WHY people hate him other than the inference that popular comedians are bad.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2016/12/27/14038406/donald-trump-frankfurt-school-brexit-critical-theory

This is an interesting article/interview that discusses issues that I've felt for a while - long before Trump - but could never quite express coherently. His "presidency" is as much a symptom of cultural decay as political dysfunction, and I almost think that's more worrying than all the ways in which our politics are so partisan and hamstrung. We can always vote in Democrats and make systemic changes, but culture is more insidious and longer lasting (if that makes any sense at all).

If anyone is familiar with the Frankfurt school and knows of any good books on the subject, I'd be very interested in learning more.

The article mentions "One-Dimensional Man" by Marcuse, which is good.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Matheson

A DINO, but still. Actually his dad was a pretty solid governor and was also a Democrat.

Don't forget, Salt Lake County votes D overwhelmingly, but is drowned out by the Republican hordes in the rest of the state.

Like everywhere else, Utah kids are trending left of their parents, but there's a long way to go.

Pro conservation strike a chord with the millennials here. Abortion will always be a tricky issue. The Mormon church's official stance is still better than the most rabid pro lifers, though (allowed for rape, incest, health of the mother).

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was trolling or caricaturing the people who hate John Oliver actually, I hoped that was more clear. :saddowns:

I don't remember WHY people hate him other than the inference that popular comedians are bad.

From what I can tell the hate is largely misdirected. They don't really hate him, they hate the people who just go "lol I'll call Trump Drumpf now" and act like that's enough political action to change things.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's no good reason, basically all of the Daily Show correspondents have been stand-up comedy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moatman posted:

From what I can tell the hate is largely misdirected. They don't really hate him, they hate the people who just go "lol I'll call Trump Drumpf now" and act like that's enough political action to change things.

which is funny because oliver pokes fun at that by doing the whole "WE GOT HIM" thing whenever they catch trump in a lie.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

which is funny because oliver pokes fun at that by doing the whole "WE GOT HIM" thing whenever they catch trump in a lie.

That's honestly my least favorite Oliver recurring joke. Feels too much like he's saying "lol nothing matters".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I think there are some concerns about the quality of research done for his segments and their biases, but I don't know the details.
I have the same concerns, but direct them towards media that actually purports to do real journalism and towards the government in general. I'll worry about weekly HBO entertainment programs once we've got those other institutions held to proper standards.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DaveWoo posted:

That's honestly my least favorite Oliver recurring joke. Feels too much like he's saying "lol nothing matters".

If anything mattered people would stop saying that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

has trump being caught in a lie ever done anything.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sorry about that dude, Poe's Law is well and truly dead in this era of Trump :sympathy:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/AllenCMarshall/status/945009480152084481

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Why would they touch that third rail, what possibly could have prompted-

Oh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*exhales slowly* okay

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

It bears repeating: the GOP is a death cult

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
after they engage in ritual disdain for the poor they'll be gently reminded to knock it off by big retailers like wal-mart who depend on food stamps both to move product as well as a subsidy of their cut rate wages

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I simply do not understand how anyone can be so cruel.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Paul Ryan got into college on welfare or something like that and McConnell almost died of polio as a child.

Sometimes 3 ghosts don't work.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ague Proof posted:

Paul Ryan got into college on welfare or something like that and McConnell almost died of polio as a child.

There was a typo and they were visited by 3 KKK members instead of the 3 actual ghosts

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

a leper would be a great choice to head the CDC, they're intimately aware of the value of not just epidemic prevention but of compliance with health measures whose value isn't necessarily obvious until it keeps you from dying of secondary infections

Except the leper is a Trump pick so he thinks the CDC has been doing too much to suppress leprosy and has been fighting in court for decades for the right to add leprosy to school lunches.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They're a Death Cult that's decided to see just how evil they can be before someone reappropriates their brains with a shotgun because they've got nothing else left to live for and no reason not to try.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Paul Ryan has truly transformed the gop into the party of ideas

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nikki ashton posted:

A policy wonk, a real numbers guy

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

We need to send more ghosts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nikki ashton posted:

"Ask not what we can do for the country, but what the country can do for us!"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mendrian posted:

It's a good thing they're making so many more then.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mendrian posted:

You got it backwards. What scares them are the poor people that are still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That's it. I don't know why I keep thinking its Love Actually, Hugh Grant isn't even in it.

Hugh Grant is in Love, Actually, he played the Prime Minister who tells off President Billy Bob Thorton.

• Locked thread