Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Covok posted:

That's a really, really, really subtle jab at the sequels.

Covok can't multiply; what a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arglebargle III posted:

Covok can't multiply; what a surprise.

6 is divisible without decimal places, which is usually what people mean by that even if that's not actually what being divisible means, by both 2 and 3. 7, 8, and 9 are not.

The original trilogy and prequel Trilogy had 6 movies.

I assumed, you were trying to venerate the number 6 because of its relevance to the Pre-Sequel films and I thought that was clever. It isn't what divisible means, technically everything is divisible you just can't divide by zero, but most people do use it to refer to when you cleanly divided number with no remainder or decimal in the quotient.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Covok posted:

Looks like the film is imploding at the box office. That sucks. I liked it. Probably means that so 9 is going to be a super-safe retread of ROTJ. Bleh.

It already is a retread of ESB and ROTJ though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what's up next for being retread-ed in Episode IX? The Phantom Menace, or The Force Awakens?

In other words, does retreading go chronologically or by release date?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Powered Descent posted:

So what's up next for being retread-ed in Episode IX? The Phantom Menace, or The Force Awakens?

Caravan of Courage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Covok posted:

6 is divisible without decimal places, which is usually what people mean by that even if that's not actually what being divisible means, by both 2 and 3. 7, 8, and 9 are not.

The original trilogy and prequel Trilogy had 6 movies.

I assumed, you were trying to venerate the number 6 because of its relevance to the Pre-Sequel films and I thought that was clever. It isn't what divisible means, technically everything is divisible you just can't divide by zero, but most people do use it to refer to when you cleanly divided number with no remainder or decimal in the quotient.

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

Covok can't post.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's gonna be weird as gently caress if benicio del toro's character doesn't come back

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

precision posted:

it's gonna be weird as gently caress if benicio del toro's character doesn't come back

Maybe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Powered Descent posted:

It'll probably be some deformed amalgamation of the prequels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"This is the destruction of what people love about Star Wars. This is the death of Star Wars."

And yet he says it as if that's a bad thing... :thunk:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My surmise remains that it'll probably finish up around $900 million or so, which is very good but not for a Star Wars movie.

This is like the third time you've said this, even after people have clearly pointed out the flaws in your accounting. It's at $777 Million today. It'll pull at least another $150 million from the US and still has yet to open in China. Rogue One got $70 Million in China, if TLJ pulls $70 Million there, that puts it at a billion combined. Then there's still the rest of international to pull in through the rest of it's run to start bumping it more over $1 billion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

TLJ referenced elements of those films but was fundamentally different in terms of the story it told and its themes. It wasn't like TFA which was largely a retelling of ANH.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bulletin: just watched TFA again and it's still good. It usually takes me a few times watching a movie to get a feel for its score; I'll confess that I hardly noticed John Williams at all the first time I saw it - as an aside, much like TLJ so far for me. But I can now state confidently that TFA's score reminds me strongly of the prequels, and in particular The Phantom Menace.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

"This is the destruction of what people love about Star Wars. This is the death of Star Wars."

And yet he says it as if that's a bad thing... :thunk:

Who's "he", or do you mean Generic Naysaing SW Fan.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WarEternal posted:

Who's "he", or do you mean Generic Naysaing SW Fan.

I have seen many people commenting that Star Wars is "ruined" now, so Generic Naysaying Fans are actually out there.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 26, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Let the past die, kill it if you have to, especially the prequel trilogy.

When will there be a gif of the hyperspace hamikaze available? When the blurays hit? Maybe I'm googling it wrong.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I get the problems people have with TLJ but it's leagues better than TFA because Rian Johnson seems to have actually seen a movie before and thought about shot composition, and unlike TFA it adds weird new elements to the semiotic stew of Star Wars. It's a better than average entry in a series of above average fantasy films, and that's about what I expected.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I Before E posted:

I get the problems people have with TLJ but it's leagues better than TFA because Rian Johnson seems to have actually seen a movie before and thought about shot composition, and unlike TFA it adds weird new elements to the semiotic stew of Star Wars. It's a better than average entry in a series of above average fantasy films, and that's about what I expected.

He must have watched Wing Commander to help prep for all of those samey looking establishing shots of the fleet slow-boating it to "safety" while the Empire fired off the obligatory 3-4 blaster shots that bounced ineffectually off the shields.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

After a re-watch I still like 8 a lot, but the second act does drag a bit more than it should. It will easily become the "Two Towers" of the series, i.e. the one with the talking.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 26, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

After a re-watch I still like 8 a lot, but the second act does drag a bit more than it should. It will easily become the "Two Towers" of the series, i.e. the one with the talking.

It has the ending of Return of the King, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It has the ending of Return of the King, though.

The fortress on Crait was pretty similar to Helm's Deep.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

The fortress on Crait was pretty similar to Helm's Deep.

I know the main influences on the story included Joseph Campbell and Dune, but was George Lucas influenced at all by Lord of the Rings?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know the main influences on the story included Joseph Campbell and Dune, but was George Lucas influenced at all by Lord of the Rings?

I can't speak from any specific knowledge, but he was certainly the right age at the right time to have read LOTR when the books started catching on big.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

George Lucas later wrote the story for Willow, which was pretty much a direct Lord of the Rings ripoff, so it's fair to say JRR Tolkien was highly influential to his own creative process.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/TheSWU/status/945092004190539777

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MariusLecter posted:

Let the past die, kill it if you have to, especially the prequel trilogy.

When will there be a gif of the hyperspace hamikaze available? When the blurays hit? Maybe I'm googling it wrong.

I just want it in 21:9 screen background

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I liked this movie but didn't love it. Depending on how you react to its faults I can see why it would alienate people, but I came out with an overall positive impression.

On the plus side:

Mark Hamill loving owns bones as Old Man Skywalker start to finish, and while I was watching it I never felt like I was sure where they were going. It had a few legitimate twists and turns that landed well. I thought Snoke, Rey and Ren and their interactions were all handled well for the most part. Those four carried the bulk of the movie and overall did it well I thought.

It had some really neat visual flourishes, like hyperspace kamikaze and Luke staring down a goddamn army, then going 1-on-1 vs. Ren. It also had some small visual gags I liked, such as dropping Snoke's guard in a wood chipper?

What stood out for me in the moment while I was watching it was that I never felt like I knew quite where it was going. You can say the broad strokes are obvious, but while I was watching it I was wondering "Where exactly are they going with this?" until the end, which after so many friggin' sequels and prequels and poo poo has to be considered a real positive. If nothing else, it didn't just feel like "more of TFA."

I didn't get a coherent political message out of it either way, which depending on your point of view is good or bad. But I'm pretty sure if the character saying Space Nazis and not-Space Nazis are all the same is framed as a GIGANTIC rear end in a top hat, maybe the movie doesn't want you to agree with him? I dunno.

On the downside:

The pacing of this movie, it doesn't quite work. On one hand, it feels kind of convoluted, with 3 major separate plot threads going on, but on the other hand there are stretches where not much is even happening. Especially in the case of the fleet running away, which is excruciatingly drawn out and almost feels like it repeats itself whenever we come back to it. The new character of the purple-haired Admiral with the garbage personality is trash, and essentially causes all the problems in that plot thread, for the extremely stupid reason of not providing a routine briefing to her subordinates on her plan. This seems to happen only because it needs to happen to set up a lesson for one of our protagonists at the end, but they only need it because the movie just made them stupider than they were in the last movie.

Finn is in it, and arguably get some character development, but for much of the time it feels like he's kind of along for the ride. We get more Poe, but not necessarily in the good way like you want.

The use of humor in this movie is genuinely puzzling at times. Your stereotypical CD dickhead hates "quips" and especially hates "quips" as deployed in popular Marvel movies. Well, this is worse. It's sprinkled with joke lines, seemingly at random, that don't land. I didn't count the jokes, but you felt the forced jokeiness because there was just no sense of comic timing there. Fine, gently caress quips, whatever, but TFA did them a million times better, and so do the better Marvel movies.

I get that TFA felt recycled to some people, but in retrospect it feels like here was so much emphasis on taking EVERY point TFA seemed to set up, and cooking up a twist to subvert it, that they kind of lost their handle on the narrative as a whole. It's kind of less than the sum of its mostly good-to-great parts, somehow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The words you're looking for are bloated and disorganized. It's hard for good actors or even good scenes to shine through in a messy screenplay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think a lot of the complaining about the humor in TFA and TLJ comes from a place of willful ignorance. The OT is full of jokes, a lot coming from Han. TFA and TLJ have simply updated the humor to be more "modern" than the 50s-style action serial quips of the OT, and I for one couldn't be happier. The thing between Poe and Hux was hilarious and perfect in every way for me. Plus people don't seem to get that he had a reason for doing that, he was buying time.

Movie good, kill your idols.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

precision posted:

I think a lot of the complaining about the humor in TFA and TLJ comes from a place of willful ignorance. The OT is full of jokes, a lot coming from Han. TFA and TLJ have simply updated the humor to be more "modern" than the 50s-style action serial quips of the OT, and I for one couldn't be happier. The thing between Poe and Hux was hilarious and perfect in every way for me. Plus people don't seem to get that he had a reason for doing that, he was buying time.

Wait, there were people who didn't get that Poe was trying to buy time with that whole gambit?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Wait, there were people who didn't get that Poe was trying to buy time with that whole gambit?

Ehhhh, him needing to buy time is just a construct of the script. And they put it in there so they could have that joke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's significantly different from the humour of the OT. The reactor leak exchange in A New Hope is something that builds tension. The your mama exchange in Last Jedi deflates tension. This is why it's like something out of Spaceballs or Marvel movies, where humour has the same deflating effect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

Ehhhh, him needing to buy time is just a construct of the script. And they put it in there so they could have that joke.

when you think about it, every line of dialogue in every film is only there as a construct :thunk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

I don’t totally get that because it seems to imply they have telephones and central switching offices in Star Wars, which is kind of jarring, although I completely love and buy that all their technology is analog and looks like a 70s stereo receiver inside.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 26, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

when you think about it, every line of dialogue in every film is only there as a construct :thunk:

Yeah, which is why you can't deflect criticism about dialogue by saying "Oh it HAD to be there."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, which is why you can't deflect criticism about dialogue by saying "Oh it HAD to be there."

“Look, you can’t call that scene exploitative! Obi Wan clearly explained that women have to take their tops off to use the force. It’s just how the force works, mr. pc police.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Poe to Hux joke was hilarious as was the deadpan “Yes sir.” The pilot delivers when Kylo force slams Hux into a wall and doesn’t miss a beat. It’s like Kylo doing that is such a regular thing that no one bats an eye and keeps on about.

It’s actually interesting since the last movie people were making Kylo to be some brat but this movie turns it around so he is scary effective. And last movie showed Hux as very credible commander but is changed to a comedy second in command.

I like it.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 26, 2017

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Saw it last night. Probably my favorite outside of the OT.

Thought the movie would have been better/tigher if you just completely removed Rose/Fin subplot though I guess I understand why they included it.

How did Rey get on the Falcon?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

How did Rey get on the Falcon?

She stole Snoke's escape pod and presumably Chewie picked her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

She had a pre-arranged pick up spot where the falcon picked her up. This was mentioned offhand before she left to meet kylo