Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Devil May Candy Crush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's so sad and gross.

Thanks for all the tips for FFXV. As I said in the FF thread, the start of the game being so heavily tutorialized made me think I didn't need to check out the tutorial. That was obviously wrong. Thanks again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair, nothing takes me out of a game more than an out of context extended tutorial like FFXV has.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Devil may Pay 2 Win

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Devil May Candy Crush

Somehow not as disgusting as DmC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FAUXTON posted:

A new Parasite Eve would be pretty cool.

No it wouldn't, didn't you see what happened the last time Square-Enix shat out a Parasite Eve game?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

For my cat problem should I put two cumbers on the ps4 for extra deterrent and hope she doesn't hop onto the ps3 directly or put one cucumber on each system?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No it wouldn't, didn't you see what happened the last time Square-Enix shat out a Parasite Eve game?

Yeah :mrgw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

To give an idea of the tone difference in SMT, all the music is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhpFGmmUMU
Some of them are. Strange Journey is, and that might have been the one you played. It's also my favorite of the main line games, even though it didn't get a number.

Also, SMT5 was announced last month, for the Switch. I'm hoping for first person but I doubt it.

When Kazuma Kaneko was more directly involved he talked about wanting to do a first person SMT1 remake for the Wii but that of course didn't happen. I still dream though.

When I played SMT 4 I completely marked out because I went into it totally blind, and during the entire opening/tutorial part was thinking man they made this so, like, generic fantasy I wish they had done another dystopian post apocalyptic cyberpunk game instead. So going from that to fighting the coolest Medusa design ever in any game and then going to Tokyo and the game suddenly having an actual overworld and first person rooms to talk to people in and stuff. Oh man. <3

Honesty I liked SMT4: Apocalypse overall but it made me appreciate the lack of character development beyond the sort of broad hero's journey mythical type of stuff in the mainline games. That game's writing is beyond horrible and very safely and pointedly anime, like they didn't even try (or I guess they tried and succeeded).

veni veni veni posted:

Word.

Isn't SMT first person too? I haven't played one in eons and when I did it was brief but my memories of it were somewhere between JRPG and a CRPG dungeon crawler. I think it was on DS.

Many of them are. They come from a time when "JRPG" as we know it now didn't quite exist yet, and RPGs in general had a lot of elements in them that today tend to just be associated with RPGs from one side of the planet or the other. But the Wizardry series was actually a huge it in Japan, and never quite died there either with new mobile and even PS3 games coming out kind of regularly. Those first person SMT games tend to have some pretty brutal at times difficulty (and some mega-bullshit teleportation mazes), but also have a really really really strong atmosphere.

"Somewhere between a JRPG and a CRPG dungeon crawler" is actually a perfect description of the series. :D

The original Persona is really interesting, it was the first RPG on the PSX and is a first person dungeon crawler, but with overhead sprite RPG kind looks when you're walking around places and talking to people. But it also has some hardcore stuff like having to worry about your party's formation, to the point where you can even save multiple formations on its own menu. And then on top of that, the combat might seem super tedious at first, but part of it is that you don't actually fight most of the battles, if you don't want to you can just chat with a monster or tell it to go away or whatever. All of that in a high school horror story setting that had already been around in Japanese comics for a while, it owns.

Ryoga posted:

I just want another persona like P2: Eternal Punishment where your party is made up of adults.

:same:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 26, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

can we please not talk about devil may cry, i only think we should discuss things which apply to all ps4 users, such as the shape of the ps4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of Devil May Cry and the PS4, can anyone weigh in on the DmC PS4 release that played it on the PS3 also? Is it worth picking up if I missed out completely on it the first time (I didn't particularly hate the different style/Dante in it like most folks did).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

can we please not talk about devil may cry, i only think we should discuss things which apply to all ps4 users, such as the shape of the ps4

THE ps4? there are in fact several shapes of ps4, keep that poo poo out of here

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Devil May Cry and the PS4, can anyone weigh in on the DmC PS4 release that played it on the PS3 also? Is it worth picking up if I missed out completely on it the first time (I didn't particularly hate the different style/Dante in it like most folks did).

Dude this is the PS4 thread we don't talk about PS4 games here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It turns the game from bad into a serviceable action game.

It's still nowhere close to an actual DMC game though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love how easy it is to pop open the top on the Slim/Pro for fan-cleaning purposes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ryoga posted:

I just want another persona like P2: Eternal Punishment where your party is made up of adults.

Honestly, for SMT, I honestly wish we lived in the universe where it was SMT2 that took off rather than Persona 3. I love its setting and aesthetic, and I wish they'd reference the Tokyo Millennium in other stuff. I hope they give it a proper modern remake someday to make it a bit less maze-y.

Also I wish Masuko got even just half as big as Meguro. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Di5RLEAuU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, for SMT, I honestly wish we lived in the universe where it was SMT2 that took off rather than Persona 3. I love its setting and aesthetic, and I wish they'd reference the Tokyo Millennium in other stuff. I hope they give it a proper modern remake someday to make it a bit less maze-y.

Also I wish Masuko got even just half as big as Meguro. :smith:

:same:

Persona 3 was very much the right place at the right time though and had a lot of hype because of how rad Eternal Punishment is. Like Harry Potter and Persona 3 happened and then every JRPG was about being in an academy.

But you know I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo Millennium popped up again. To give some background, Tokyo Millennium was an actual proposed arcology from the late 80s meant to deal with over population and was to be built in Tokyo Bay a few miles from the city proper, which made it the ideal speculative future society hub for SMT II. But now actual construction on it started just this year! :O

IIRC the original original design was literally a massive Blade Runner/SMT II style pyramid too.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=3510

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Tower_(Tokyo)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

galaxy brain take: every SMT game going forward should be like Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm okay with that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

galaxy brain take: every SMT game going forward should be like Maken X

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC the original original design was literally a massive Blade Runner/SMT II style pyramid too.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=3510

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Tower_(Tokyo)

I knew it was a thing, but I never realized it was supposed to actually be a big pyramid like that, that's pretty great, and makes me appreciate the SMT2 version even more.

For reference, this is how it showed up in the manual:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

galaxy brain take: every SMT game going forward should be like Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm okay with that

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a definite improvement that removes some of the dumber game play choices in the PS3 version. It isn't nearly as demanding or complex as the original series but it's a fun game if you're ok with that. The story in this one's bad but they're always bad. It's just bad in a less funny way than the old ones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fame Douglas posted:

I love how easy it is to pop open the top on the Slim/Pro for fan-cleaning purposes.

Yeah this was amazing. I had to YouTube the video and even then wasn’t comfortable with the clicks but it’s still real easy. That said there wasn’t even really any dust in there which was surprising as the OG PS4 loves it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ha, pretty bold gambit putting an icon with a "buy now" option for Destiny 2 on my home row as though I'd just been playing the game. I choose to be amused by it since it just let me delete it without any more fuckery.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SMT looks like this

Persona looks like this

And that's just using a recent example on SMT, if you go back to PS2 you'll get different qualities, of course. I just picked Persona 4 in case spoilers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does Alraune get chubby, or does she get her blood drinking under control???

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

we'll never know because of that DAMNABLE persona

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And I would have gotten away with it too if I weren’t thou and thou weren’t I.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
First thoughts on Uncharted 2:

- Oh loving great, a goddamn pistol with a reasonably sized magazine, was that too loving hard, Naughty Dog?

- Ok, stealth mission, but it's very dynamic and it's an interesting location.

-Aaaand...back with the fun size pistol...

Also really like Chloe and can't wait for her sudden but inevitable betrayal or pointless death.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 26, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samuringa posted:

First thoughts on Uncharted 2:

- Oh loving great, a goddamn pistol with a reasonably sized magazine, was the too loving hard, Naughty Dog?

- Ok, stealth mission, but it's very dynamic and it's an interesting location.

-Aaaand...back with the fun size pistol...

Also really like Chloe and can't wait for her sudden but inevitable betrayal or pointless death.

I played Uncharted 2 and Dragon Age Origins very close to each another and my brain kept mixing up Chloe/Morrigan and Flynn/Alistair.

Speaking of Uncharted, 4 is down to 20 bucks on PS+... I really need to stop spending money on games. :negative:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hopper posted:

Well at least sleep mode and power consumption are topics that are relevant to everyone who has a ps4 unlike an anime high school simulator that caters to a particular type of gamer.

It's fun to learn about other cultures. JRPG players might sound funny and smell different but they're just like you and me on the inside. Their stories are worth hearing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hopper posted:

Well at least sleep mode and power consumption are topics that are relevant to everyone who has a ps4 unlike an anime high school simulator that caters to a particular type of gamer.

Not every discussion has to be relevant to everyone.

Or we wouldn't be able to talk about any game at all

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Journey is on sale finally. Yay I get to be a sand dude.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

kater posted:

Journey is on sale finally. Yay I get to be a sand dude.

Finished assassin's creed origins already?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Either I am bad at search or I am missing it:

Why do I need a cucumber?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Waltzing Along posted:

Either I am bad at search or I am missing it:

Why do I need a cucumber?

I don't read the thread but

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Read the thread title!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's it because looks like snek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Read the thread title!!!

Yes, so I searched the thread but can't find the reference. I put a cucumber on my PS4 but my cat still doesn't care. She just wants Temptations all the time.