Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If crobbelz made the next Madden NFL offering, the fidelity doctrine would dictate that someone come to your house and hit you with a baseball bat for maximum concussion immersion.

It's me, the sports joke in a games thread.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

3.0 is irrelevant - it's just another inevitable consequence of the mistake they made in 2015 when they released what they called "2.0" - a cynical ploy to prove a "game" existed and an excuse to begin denying refunds. The cancer released to the PU two years ago is simply continuing to advance through its stages.

Part of what keeps me coming back to Star Citizen is trying to find out if it was a just a fake demo or really the best they could come up with. I wanna believe it was just a hollywood set and there was a plan to make an online game but the longer this fire burns to more apparent it becomes they just keep on adding bits onto the CryEngine demo level shown in the kickstarter.

Granted they did manage to add a nice bit with the seamless space -> moon landing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These also mirror my own professional opinion as somebody who is Chris Roberts secret confidant whom he whispers sweet nothings to in my ear while also slapping me in the face with wildly gesticulating hands.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Spinning up multiple servers just to handle every concurrent instance of cargo spilling into empty space holy poo poo the dreams never end

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Here's something that's going to be interesting to watch in the time between now and March. Star Citizen has little to no actual gameplay in 3.0, and with that lack of gameplay is going to come a pivot, embracing the exact things that the citizenry condemn Elite for. This is a good example. This dude loves space trucking, which isn't the problem in and of itself (it's 99% of what I do when I can be bothered to fire up Elite) but look at the way he describes it. Everything underlined in red is either the exact same mechanic from Elite (but described in a way that makes it seem more than it is) or something that straight up doesn't actually happen in SC (AFAIK you don't have to 'request' a pad at Port Olisar and instead are just automatically given a couple to select from when you switch to landing mode).

How do you differentiate the process of plotting a route from that other, better spacegame? Simple: flowery prose pointing out "I didn't have to use a menu," who cares if it's true or not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Krycek posted:

If crobbelz made the next Madden NFL offering, the fidelity doctrine would dictate that someone come to your house and hit you with a baseball bat for maximum concussion immersion.

It's me, the sports joke in a games thread.

There's a lot that could be done with Madden covers and the Madden curse. Madden 175M Edition with a dumb Roberts in a slow bus helmet as running back or whatever on the cover.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You would get 6.81798176365367218176536572 points for a touchdown

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
I too play video games so that I can watch DVDs.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

big nipples big life posted:

It would be pretty cool if touchdown points were calculated by real time inflation stats.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Listening to a podcast while playing a video game is a reasonable way to use your time :colbert:

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
"So there I was hauling 5000 sexbots from <vaguely racist sounding planet name> to <planet name that could also be that of an accounting professor>. I was about four (real time) hours into the mission when I was jacked by pirates. They made me unload all of my cargo (one at a time), blew up my ship, and then took me hostage. I spent the next four weeks (real time) confined to an in-game cell before I was able to trade my LTI ship respawn for my freedom." That is a thing that sounds fun to someone who presumably has a real life job and income that was used to purchase access to Time Sink the game

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Here's something that's going to be interesting to watch in the time between now and March. Star Citizen has little to no actual gameplay in 3.0, and with that lack of gameplay is going to come a pivot, embracing the exact things that the citizenry condemn Elite for. This is a good example. This dude loves space trucking, which isn't the problem in and of itself (it's 99% of what I do when I can be bothered to fire up Elite) but look at the way he describes it. Everything underlined in red is either the exact same mechanic from Elite (but described in a way that makes it seem more than it is) or something that straight up doesn't actually happen in SC (AFAIK you don't have to 'request' a pad at Port Olisar and instead are just automatically given a couple to select from when you switch to landing mode).

How do you differentiate the process of plotting a route from that other, better spacegame? Simple: flowery prose pointing out "I didn't have to use a menu," who cares if it's true or not.

I didnt read any of your post, went straigt into the quotes and started loling because they were talking about things people in elite have been doing for years. Then I read your post

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I suppose the golden goose is the idea of being able to walk around inside of your ship while it's space trucking for you.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

big nipples big life posted:

Touchdowns would be 42 pts, obv.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

I suppose the golden goose is the idea of being able to walk around inside of your ship while it's space trucking for you.

Hopefully the lore addresses what happens when an interdiction happens while taking a dump.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

FailureToReport posted:

drat, I try to do something nice for the Citizens to celebrate the release of Star Citizen 3.0 LIVE, and this is the thanks I get.

Fraud accusations? Really?!?

I would say to pin this comment up high, but you've already done so. There are really stunning grammar and spelling issues with a lot of the shitizens, and I'm not really sure how to account for it.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully the lore addresses what happens when an interdiction happens while taking a dump.

Toilet is the more advanced system developed actually. Ben took care of it.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If citizens were shown elite with all the branding removed and told it was the next sc patch, they would jizz themselves while proclaiming it to be Game of the Century. But because it's elite, it's a "mile wide, inch deep" and other nonsense. Someone should stream themselves playing Elite, all the while claiming it to be a leaked internal build of sc 3.1 that is totally coming out in March or whenever.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

I would say to pin this comment up high, but you've already done so. There are really stunning grammar and spelling issues with a lot of the shitizens, and I'm not really sure how to account for it.

It's simple: they're loving idiots.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

So how much they did during the holiday recorded livestream ? Who is the poor soul that won the LoD key ?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

The hilarious bit is a lot of people set up voice commands via an outside program very quickly on in Elite. Maybe SC has it internally, which is cool and all, but definitely lifted from streamers in Elite's beta days.

Incitatus posted:

I too play video games so that I can watch DVDs.

I've been known to surf the forums while exploring in ED. It gives me something to do. I know a decent amount of the F1 thread participants also play Euro Truck Simulator, and a lot of them went on record that they listen to podcasts and such while playing. Mind you that game requires a bit more focus than ED but the fact remains.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Chris has made a rare appearance on his weird discord knock-off in order to provide the base with some fresh talking points for the new year.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-performance-tidbits

Chris Roberts posted:

We have solutions for all these things, including moving physics to a batch updating model from an asynchronous one which will allow us to scale the physics much better (currently we are limited to only four threads for physics regardless of the cores on a client or server), level of detail updates for objects on the client from the server (don't update or update less frequently when far away, unbind an object from the network if far away from the client's view), Object Container streaming (whole areas of the game are only streamed in when needed on the client, allowing for dramatically less objects on clients) and they are in various stages of progress but they are not something we can complete in a week or two.

I don't know what the hell to make of "a batch updating [physics] model". That seems ultra dumb because what happens when the batch is delayed by the rest of the client going slow. Objects stop moving? lol

Probably more addressing the symptoms instead of the problem. Funny part is backers think this all makes sense when CIG start talking about threads.
:( 'The client is drowning in 2000 physics calculations a second so the game runs slow'
:trustme: 'Batch up all the physics calculations and run any new ones every tick'
:( 'The batch takes 3 seconds to complete whenever two ships run into each other now. Sometimes gravity is off when the client is too busy for a physics update'
:trustme: '...'

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Can we get a funding update/contest fiasco update?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I'll be the first to admit if Chris Roberts took in a hundred and sixty million dollars to make an online space game and emerged several years later with a massive lawsuit over his game engine and the cure to loving cancer I'd still want to know how the gently caress we got from point a to point Cancer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

reignofevil posted:

I'll be the first to admit if Chris Roberts took in a hundred and sixty million dollars to make an online space game and emerged several years later with a massive lawsuit over his game engine and the cure to loving cancer I'd still want to know how the gently caress we got from point a to point Cancer.

If it makes you feel better Theranos got another $100 million a couple days ago.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

I don't know what the hell to make of "a batch updating [physics] model". That seems ultra dumb because what happens when the batch is delayed by the rest of the client going slow. Objects stop moving? lol

Probably more addressing the symptoms instead of the problem. Funny part is backers think this all makes sense when CIG start talking about threads.
:( 'The client is drowning in 2000 physics calculations a second so the game runs slow'
:trustme: 'Batch up all the physics calculations and run any new ones every tick'
:( 'The batch takes 3 seconds to complete whenever two ships run into each other now. Sometimes gravity is off when the client is too busy for a physics update'
:trustme: '...'

All of his "solutions" in "various stages of progress" are fundamental early-stage design decisions, meant to be built into the engine from the beginning, and are problems already solved by other developers.

I guess to be a visionary it's necessary not only to be the last person to come up with a solution to a problem, but also to be so blind that you can't see that it was solved decades ago.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This December they've made more than the other years

About 2 million to go to make more than last year

About 200k from 175 million! :toot:

We're at almost at 1/10th of 250k email signups to get the ingame Squadron 42 t-shirt!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So they're juicing the funding tracker but not the stupid signup thing?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I feel strongly—as in my spiritual scam sense—that they must either be pumping the funding tracker to prime false interest in the project and bait more whales, or the ship sales are a vehicle for a laundering scheme of some kind, or both

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

If it makes you feel better Theranos got another $100 million a couple days ago.

What? How?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BossmonkeyTroy/status/945716288600657921

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol if truthful and factual.

Magic Leap also still alive and kicking.
Why do people keep giving Magic Leap money?

quote:

Magic Leap, an augmented reality company that has never shipped or even shown a product, has just gotten a $502 million investment on top of its nearly $1.4 billion in existing funding. The round is led by Singapore holding company Temasek, and includes major existing investors like Google, Alibaba, and J.P. Morgan Investment Management.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like their reckless disregard for version numbering too

theyre at 3.0 and they're still in alpha. everything else i've ever seen has had 1.0 as the release version

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

XK posted:

Its pretty easy to account for actually. Those who still back it are retarded. Like, not an insult bit actually mentally challanged in a way thats sad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Speaking of deceptive version numbers, has NMS been unfucked into a Noctis-like experience?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

...horribly inflamed asteroids?

:downsrim:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Easy answer: to Olds, what Magic Leap is peddling looks just as plausible as Oculus did a couple years ago and that took off real big and will probably define an entirely new market some day. It turns out that investors are really bad at understanding technology. Which just goes to show you exactly how blatantly fraudulent CIG must appear, that nobody's stepped in to fund them yet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i like their reckless disregard for version numbering too

theyre at 3.0 and they're still in alpha. everything else i've ever seen has had 1.0 as the release version

I think its because Elite Dangerous is at 2.6 or whatever.
If ED went to 3.0 Chris would be saying 4.0 is near ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Krycek posted:

If citizens were shown elite with all the branding removed and told it was the next sc patch, they would jizz themselves while proclaiming it to be Game of the Century. But because it's elite, it's a "mile wide, inch deep" and other nonsense. Someone should stream themselves playing Elite, all the while claiming it to be a leaked internal build of sc 3.1 that is totally coming out in March or whenever.

FTR basically already did this and it was pretty funny.