Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

make boulder beetles gain momentum like orbs of destruction. if they hit a wall after a certain amount of distance, they break the wall. if it's stone/metal, the beetle explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

add a boulder beetle unique that shoots out orbs of destruction in multiple directions like high power orb cards do whenever it collides with something

realtalk that all sounds fine.

actually, uh, that sounds cool as hell for some sort of high-tier enemy's method of attacking. like some sort of representation of the BFG from doom

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Johnny Joestar posted:

actually, uh, that sounds cool as hell for some sort of high-tier enemy's method of attacking. like some sort of representation of the BFG from doom
Obviously, it needs to be an enemy in Hell.

Edit I still think we need to design a Floodkiller unique water elemental.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

someone awful. posted:

Rods were awkward poo poo garbage and work way better as wands, plus felids can use them as wands. Why would you want to bring them back?

I always thought that the best way to fix Rods was to make them more like weapons with additional powers than wands you had to wield. Make them all have some sort of effect when you melee'd with them like Staves or the Rod of Striking. They were technically a mace type weapon and Ashenzari could let you curse them to boost evo. But I guess as they existed at time of removal they were kinda awkward and sorta OP.

Side Note: I have always wanted Velociraptor packs in Crawl roaming Lair or Depths.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Playing a Pakellas gnome back when rods existed was probably the most fun I've ever had playing Crawl.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ferrinus posted:

An active, necromancy-themed regeneration could be like the old version of Powered By Death where corpses in your vicinity rapidly rot to give you health while they last and you remain near them. It could also be fused into Vampiric Draining, where VD puts a DoT on an enemy and you regain health for each tick.

Either of those spells runs into the fundamental problem with redesigning regeneration that made me give up on the problem. That's not to say those aren't good ideas, but they wouldn't work as pure replacements for the currently existing spell itself.

That's because regen works both in and out of combat. What's more, the spell is probably more important as a way to heal quickly out of combat than in combat. That isn't just my opinion, I've seen it mentioned a number of times by more experienced players. But both of those proposals are for an in-combat healing spell. It would be trivial to make the existing regen an out of combat spell (it cancels when you take damage), then create another spell that is designed to work as a heal spell in combat. But if one were to do so, it would have to be stronger than the current regen to bother casting in most circumstances. However, I don't think there is space in Crawl for a strong healing spell that isn't something like Borgnor's: a spell that's high enough level to be build defining and that comes with permanent character damage. I generally strongly oppose cheap healing in any RPG, but I think cheap and easy access to strong healing is anathema in Crawl.

Of course, if the goons think there should be a strong healing spell in gooncrawl, then that's another matter. But I disagree. So, I think the best solution for regeneration is the hellcrawl permabuff solution. That's one of the only charms for which I think this is the proper solution, by the way. There are other solutions I can think of, but they would involve removing the regen spell, so are probably not appropriate for gooncrawl, especially at this stage.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Since some of this new endeavor seems to be centered on bringing things back on top of not shying from changes in pursuit of flavor, unless I've missed something, is any mind being paid to the Circus Animals Fork alongside Hellcrawl and whatnot? There's surely some applicable good interwoven within all the crazy even if it hasn't seen an update in awhile now after the initial flurry:

https://github.com/jeremygurr/dcssca

Quite looking forward to where this Gooncrawl fork goes!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I don't see why there's a need for an outside-combat healing spell. From my experience, the main difference between Regeneration and regular resting is how far back you go to rest, so hardly impactful.

The main place to use Regeneration outside of combat is in Hells due to the Hell Effect clock, and that's it's own set of issues.

And speed running, I guess, but why design the game around that?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Of course, if the goons think there should be a strong healing spell in gooncrawl, then that's another matter.

I mean, we are already putting wand of heal wounds, recharging scrolls, and Pakellas (once the abilities are reworked to fit with wand stacking) back in :v:

If anyone wants to follow the fork commit log as I work, it's located here. Otherwise, progress so far:
  • The purple is back
  • You can ZOMBIEHANDS while still charming and embracing corpses if that's your thing I guess
  • Ogres like big sticks again
  • You can now be permanently tormented again if you are lucky (the crown might need something else attached to it to make it more interesting, but that's for later)
  • Dragons love it when you call them over with a big dragony roar (the spell doesn't say it is being boosted because I haven't fixed that part yet, but it is)
  • Local pharaoh removes hatches to reinstall stairs, in response to union demands for easier inter-floor movement. "I kept the treasure room doors in the hallway, though. Those were actually pretty convenient." Disabled Mummies of the Crypt and Tomb (DMCT) has filed a civil suit with the pharaoh for removing handicapped access.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
just make rods work like the lamp and phial

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That Pharoah still doesn't consider his handicapable undead, he should have installed elevators instead of stairs! :v:

I kid, of course. Look at all those commits in so little time. You're a madman, Floodkiller. A wonderful, amazing madman.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I don't see why there's a need for an outside-combat healing spell. From my experience, the main difference between Regeneration and regular resting is how far back you go to rest, so hardly impactful.

The main place to use Regeneration outside of combat is in Hells due to the Hell Effect clock, and that's it's own set of issues.

And speed running, I guess, but why design the game around that?

Because resting sucks. Having really low natural regeneration relative to your maxhp blows. You have to rest more frequently and for longer. It makes everything slower and it sucks. High regeneration means you can keep moving and go from fight to fight without issue.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
In mainline Crawl news, ghost speeds were normalized at 10 and some brands forbidden (like chaos), as a beginning of some kind of ghost revamp.

Distortion was briefly one of the forbidden ones but was re-enabled because 'it doesn't have any particular reason to be disabled compared to other threatening early brands'. I think that means it's just Chaos and Holy Wrath that are forbidden now, actually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What about a spell that works like Deep Dwarves healing? Decent heal, maybe percentage based, but permanently reduces Max HP by 1?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, you mean Bojnigor's Revivification?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Trollhide/Trollblood: Nec/Trm 4 or 5, gives 2-4 ac boost from tough skin, +Regen, and cranks up your metabolism

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Darox posted:

Because resting sucks. Having really low natural regeneration relative to your maxhp blows. You have to rest more frequently and for longer. It makes everything slower and it sucks. High regeneration means you can keep moving and go from fight to fight without issue.

But auto resting takes the same amount of real-life time regardless of how much is healed. Press 5, get full health.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Either of those spells runs into the fundamental problem with redesigning regeneration that made me give up on the problem. That's not to say those aren't good ideas, but they wouldn't work as pure replacements for the currently existing spell itself.

That's because regen works both in and out of combat. What's more, the spell is probably more important as a way to heal quickly out of combat than in combat. That isn't just my opinion, I've seen it mentioned a number of times by more experienced players. But both of those proposals are for an in-combat healing spell. It would be trivial to make the existing regen an out of combat spell (it cancels when you take damage), then create another spell that is designed to work as a heal spell in combat. But if one were to do so, it would have to be stronger than the current regen to bother casting in most circumstances. However, I don't think there is space in Crawl for a strong healing spell that isn't something like Borgnor's: a spell that's high enough level to be build defining and that comes with permanent character damage. I generally strongly oppose cheap healing in any RPG, but I think cheap and easy access to strong healing is anathema in Crawl.

Of course, if the goons think there should be a strong healing spell in gooncrawl, then that's another matter. But I disagree. So, I think the best solution for regeneration is the hellcrawl permabuff solution. That's one of the only charms for which I think this is the proper solution, by the way. There are other solutions I can think of, but they would involve removing the regen spell, so are probably not appropriate for gooncrawl, especially at this stage.

Right, the idea is that you’d change Regen so that it’a a combat spell. Then, if it makes the game too dang slow, you can just boost everybody’s out of combat healing across the board. Maybe make it so specifically standing in place with no enemies in sight gives you a regen multiplier.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Have the Regen spell root you in place until you're at full health with some flavour of "leaching nutrients from the dungeon soil," similar to Lignification but without the transformation. Maybe add an ability to end it earlier at the cost of some health because you've ripped those parasitic roots out and that poo poo hurts. That way you can use it both in and out of combat and there's an actual choice to make as to when to engage it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I actually don't mind resting that much personally, it just takes a little init tweaking to be less intrusive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Have the Regen spell root you in place until you're at full health with some flavour of "leaching nutrients from the dungeon soil," similar to Lignification but without the transformation. Maybe add an ability to end it earlier at the cost of some health because you've ripped those parasitic roots out and that poo poo hurts. That way you can use it both in and out of combat and there's an actual choice to make as to when to engage it.
This is a good idea, especially if using Lig at the same time provides a minor bonus, since it removes the "take damage and bail" option.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just make treeform a real spell and give trees regen

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just make treeform a real spell and give trees regen

And call the spell Treegeneration.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Make it a line of sorts? Roots, Barkskin, Lignification, or somesuch. Though again the concerns about spellbook bloat come up.

A race with a Lig ability would be neat. Dryads, maybe?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Random idea I had for a new DS-level mutation (I thought it was interesting):

Magical Conduit - Gives a chance to cast a random damaging or debuffing (if valid) spell at an enemy in range (could be as if cast from the PC or smite-targetted). Power level ceiling (random from 1-ceiling) and available spells dependent on rank of the mutation. Spell cast not always guaranteed to be effective against the target (doesn't take into account resistances or immunities).

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Make sure to delete troll leather armor too

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, that's the Stone Soup way: Finally getting rid of racial armour/weapons! :v:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I actually really like that wands stack now, also please remove wands of confusion so I can stop getting that stupid genesis song stuck in my head. Thanks.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl update:
  • You can drop long lasting fart clouds all over monsters again (it's in book of Clouds and book of Envenomations, the latter of which I brought back as well to make room for more poison spells)
  • High elves are back through the power of Tolkien
  • Surfs up for Norris (who was actually a giant pain in the rear end to bring back properly, surprisingly)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Really? Why?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Really? Why?

There was a bunch of back-end changes since he was removed that I kept missing, so it was a lot of compiling crashes. I eventually took a shortcut and gave him Donald's weapon set because I got sick of it and wanted to move on. He's still got the buckler though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
TBH that new Necro/Earth spell sounds a lot like the Toxic Glue spell I kept suggesting as pure poison.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How does Ozo's refrigeration compare to Freezing Cloud for AoE ice spells? I know Freezing cloud is amazing but I've never used Ozo's

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

How does Ozo's refrigeration compare to Freezing Cloud for AoE ice spells? I know Freezing cloud is amazing but I've never used Ozo's

Completely different, ozo attempts to put everything in sight back to sleep iirc

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Ozo's is usually only better if you are trying to hit the entire screen, in which case you are either fighting popcorn or should probably be running away. Ozo's also keeps taking MP and your turn to cast, compared to Freezing Cloud which you lay down once for damage over multiple turns plus being able to use other spells/attacks/movement while doing so.

On a different note, Phase Shift is being a bitch to re-implement compared to Poisonous Cloud. Both reversion attempts, something being changed in the combat code keeps CTDing the game while trying to move after casting Phase Shift. I'll probably try implementing it as a new spell (instead of re-enabling the old one) and see if it crashes then. If it does, I'll probably just put that feature on the back burner for a later time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Please include an actual "Crash to Desktop" spell.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

gowb posted:

Completely different, ozo attempts to put everything in sight back to sleep iirc

You're thinking of Metabolic Englaciation, probably? Though I think that just slows, with resistance based on rC and HD.

Ozocubo's Refrigeration deals damage to everything in LOS (including you) with AC-ignoring undodgeable (but resistable) cold damage, and temporarily disables potion use. It used to break them.

Edit: They don't actually have to be visible though; it works on invisible targets even if you can't see them. They just have to be within your LOS range.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 28, 2017

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Metabolic englaciation used to put the whole screen to sleep. Now it slows everything instead.

Ozo's refrigeration can be good if you find exactly the right stuff to support it. A refrigerator mage with high int and three enhancers is a hilarious steamroller, since the spell power gets high enough that the benefit of the mechanics starts to outweigh the disadvantage of the poor damage. It's pretty mediocre if you can't get it to a really high power, though, and it will never be worth it against things with tons of HP.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've come back to this after taking a long break and my init file is blank. What was all the good stuff people recommended putting in there, again? Something about manual training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

my stupid poo poo.

code:
#Even the default stop at 50% is too late for a new player to really consider escape options.
autofight_stop = 60
hp_warning = 60
mp_warning = 25
default_manual_training = true

#Makes resting and exploring a little more interactive, IMO
#Also makes you rest before you start an autoexplore
explore_delay = 5
rest_delay = 5
explore_auto_rest = true

#Pay attention when this poo poo happens
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you
force_more_message += wielding a * of distortion
force_more_message += Xom

#Will force-more every time the listed monsters do anything.
#Monsters are listed for being nontrivial no matter XL.
force_more_message += shining eye * into view
force_more_message += entropy weaver * into view
force_more_message += flayed ghost * into view
force_more_message += sphinx * into view
force_more_message += neqoxec * into view
force_more_message += 's ghost * Dr

#Auto open skills on new char
{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
    need_skills_opened = false