Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I thought he was supposed to play for Birmingham or Sunderland last season but he somehow got a UEFA ban for firing his agent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

brocked posted:

I thought he was supposed to play for Birmingham or Sunderland last season but he somehow got a UEFA ban for firing his agent?

Yeah it was Sunderland. He got a bonus for some reason and was supposed to give his agent like a £1m cut of it. He claimed he had fired his agent before all of this would have happened, but it didn’t quite work out for him.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tsaedje posted:

Hands on the floor, Eboue's poor

lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jose Mourinho posted:

After the Burnley draw, the Portuguese bemoaned City's spending power, having signed full-backs Kyle Walker and Benjamin Mendy for £102million.

"When you say a club like Manchester United, do you think Milan is not as big as us?" Mourinho asked. "You think they are not as big as we are? Do you think Real Madrid are not as big as we are? You think Inter Milan is not as big as we are? There are many big clubs and you say big clubs, I know what is a big club.
"One thing is a big club and another thing is a big football team that you know is not one of the best teams in the world, so when you speak about responsibilities to win the Premier League, Tottenham does not have that responsibility. Tottenham is not a club with the same history as us. Arsenal doesn't have the responsibility to win it, Chelsea doesn't have the responsibility to win it.

"Manchester City buy the full-backs for the price of the strikers, so when you speak about big football clubs, you are speaking about the history of the club."

Mourinho has spent £286.2million on seven players since he was appointed United manager and when that figure was mentioned, he replied: "Is not enough, is not enough. And the price for the big clubs, the price for the big clubs is different from the other clubs, so the big, historical clubs are normally punished in the market for that history
So the boys are doing what they can and they are doing fine, you say seven points from 16 or 15, something like you say, I say last two matches we had 15 chances to score and we concede three S[**t] goals and an amazing free-kick.

"So the boys do what they can, they are trying hard with the problems and injuries we have. I am not happy with the result, and against Leicester, but I am happy with my players."

Yeah that's definitely the reason you're drawing with Burnley and Leicester and losing against Bristol.

E: OK transfers obviously play a role. United have bought poo poo for years now, and Mourinho himself has been guilty of that as well. The team still needs massive overhauls despite the millions upon millions spent, but come on Jose. Spending isn't even remotely the biggest problem right now.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2017

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

how can we compete with a club that has uhhhh kyle walker

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

He's in full meltdown mode. It's everyone's fault except his.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like I said before, mourinho is a sour friendless piece of human garbage.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mourinho is a piece of poo poo lmao
gently caress Utd

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
He's right in that top tier teams have to spend ridiculous money on mediocre players, but that's all he's right about. I think it's time to replace Jose with SAF's statue. The end result will be about the same.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm thrilled that my least favourite manager is having a miserable time at my least favourite club

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Chiming in from my holiday sabbatical to say lol gently caress off Mourinho

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I feel sorry for Mourinho tbh, the fans unrealistic expectations must weigh heavy upon his mighty shoulders.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hope Jose and pogba get hit by a bus. A Christmas miracle!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
£175m on just two players, but it's not fair that other clubs bought good players instead

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i like how Pogba had ‘become captain’ put into his contract

that’s gonna help morale when you have Jose glowering at people all the time

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i, forums poster eau de macgowan, would be loving jose mourinho's early meltdown if it didn't mean he'll be gone by february. i want him at united forever :twisted:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Bape Culture posted:

Hope Jose and pogba get hit by a bus. A Christmas miracle!

A parked bus really would make it a miracle

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

mackintosh posted:

He's right in that top tier teams have to spend ridiculous money on mediocre players, but that's all he's right about. I think it's time to replace Jose with SAF's statue. The end result will be about the same.

It's a bit weird on people (not fans because they're invariably idiots) to talk about utds expenditure while ignoring that the team ahead of them spent 150% of that.

also city and psg don't count as anything other than PR for lovely royal families

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Right, now widen that net to include 15/16. Oh. Ohhhh.

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot
it's 134%

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Now do the expenditure of the five teams that finished above them last season.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The press are turning on Jose already, as evidenced by him being heavily misquoted following the Bristol match. He was in full magnanimous mode following that but the press managed to misquote him into being a sore loser.

He's a twat, is and always will be a twat, but the press are having a field day with him at the moment. In any other season, this United side would be cruising top of the table, I think he's finding it really hard to deal with Pep hitting peak Pep in Jose's special "second season".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The problem with this argument is that the last three clubs they've come up against are 16th (Leicester), 52nd (Burnley), and 100 (Bristol City) and they've managed to get two draws and knocked out of a cup from that. Doesn't really matter what City/PSG have spent when they perform poorly against the clubs that they've outspent by up to 1250%.

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

hadji murad posted:

Now do the expenditure of the five teams that finished above them last season.

why would i do that

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

pik_d posted:

The problem with this argument is that the last three clubs they've come up against are 16th (Leicester), 52nd (Burnley), and 100 (Bristol City) and they've managed to get two draws and knocked out of a cup from that. Doesn't really matter what City/PSG have spent when they perform poorly against the clubs that they've outspent by up to 1250%.

thats about a bad response to my point as anyone could have made. bad results are bad results.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sub human scum IMO (“José”, that is).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

thats about a bad response to my point as anyone could have made. bad results are bad results.

Why are you bringing up City's expenditure when talking about United's bad results then? Have I misunderstood your point?

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
sacking Guidolin was so dumb. Bob Bradley lmfao

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot

pik_d posted:

Why are you bringing up City's expenditure when talking about United's bad results then? Have I misunderstood your point?

you're not arguing in good faith because you know exactly what i was saying

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

This said, Burnley also have other impressive scalps away from home this season, Leicester are a good side at home and anything can happen in a cup match. Bristol played really, really well, to just say United were poo poo does them a disservice. Perspective matters, sure you can claim poor defending for Burnley's first, but there's nothing you can do about a loving peach of a free kick that no keeper in the world is keeping out.

There are obvious problems in this United team and cracks are showing with Mourinho as I genuinely don't think he expected City to hit the level they have nor do I think he knows how to bring United on another level to compete with that. I think this squad is Jose's best dice throw and the shock is showing through the team at the moment. Earlier in the season, the draws from last season were wins, they're back again now as 2 points lost and the pressure of getting through Christmas unscathed has cracked the team. 2 points from 6 against Burnley and Leicester is a disappointing Christmas for a team that should have been mounting a title challenge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Reprisal posted:

sacking Guidolin was so dumb. Bob Bradley lmfao

Could've been worse. Jenkins wanted Giggs.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ninpo posted:

The press are turning on Jose already, as evidenced by him being heavily misquoted following the Bristol match. He was in full magnanimous mode following that but the press managed to misquote him into being a sore loser.

He's a twat, is and always will be a twat, but the press are having a field day with him at the moment. In any other season, this United side would be cruising top of the table, I think he's finding it really hard to deal with Pep hitting peak Pep in Jose's special "second season".

Who would they be cruising against? One point above Chelsea, City would be around there generally, and Tottenham, Arsenal and some other team, oh right, Burnley are keeping up pressure.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

you're not arguing in good faith because you know exactly what i was saying

Not really, it looks like you're inexplicably crying about the press being anti-United (they aren't) because they ignore that City has spent more (they don't). Kyle Walker for £50 M was brought up a lot until City started steamrolling or otherwise winning every game. If they started losing it would be brought up a lot more, I promise you. The press love to go on about how much City have spent when they get the chance. Right now the results are keeping that quiet.

Ninpo posted:

I genuinely don't think he expected City to hit the level they have nor do I think he knows how to bring United on another level to compete with that.

To be fair I don't think anyone expected this. It's literally breaking all the records.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
José is only great when he is winning things and being a total rear end in a top hat. I’m afraid he won’t reach those heights with United.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a bad run and United will be fine. We wouldn’t be talking about this if City wasn’t insanely good.

This all still boils down to Jose for driving De Bruyne out of Chelsea like an idiot

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jose would probably be steam-rolling everyone if the club had spent the 8 years prior to him arriving buying every player and staff member he wanted instead of trying to accommodate the current manager.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Mourinho and United were made for each other so I hope he stays forever

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Ninpo posted:

Jose is turning against Jose.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Vegetable posted:

It’s a bad run and United will be fine. We wouldn’t be talking about this if City wasn’t insanely good.

This all still boils down to Jose for driving De Bruyne out of Chelsea like an idiot

De Bruyne never would have succeeded at Chelsea.

e: if he had stayed a million years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
City also get a bit of a pass because they play nice football, they play nicely with the press and still have a comedy defensive howler in them to humanise them a bit.

• Locked thread