Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

If you don't think our political institutions would get detectable and significant pushback from big-box retailers and the people who profit off of them - along with producers like Monsanto, Unilever, and Tyson - if they attempt to dismantle the food stamp program, I don't know what to tell you.

If you think people on food stamps and big-box retailers who profit off of them are the same thing, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reik posted:

If you think people on food stamps and big-box retailers who profit off of them are the same thing, I don't know what to tell you.

i think everyone agrees people on food stamps dont have much collective political power. that point has been made

however, the businesses who cater to people on food stamps, as it turns out, have a lot of power and in this case they have very similar goals to people on food stamps, but for different reasons

so when you say "there is no 'big food stamp lobby' made up of people on food stamps" you are kind of correct, but big food stamp exists in the form of retailers who sell a large amount of food, as well as food producers

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

evilmiera posted:

I would not wish Pepsi Max on my worst enemy.

Europe Pepsi Max or US Pepsi Max?

e: Nevermind it was the Canadian one that had sugar in it, not the European. Not much of an improvement anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Max

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This loving country.

The reason you shouldn't mess with food stamps as a politician SHOULD BE you'd get thrown out on your rear end for being a loving wretch of a human being who shouldn't be in government by VOTERS.

The reason they won't mess with food stamps is because Walmart and Tyson will lobby them to keep subsidizing the working poor.

:911:

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

boner confessor posted:

yall have some pretty big misunderstandings regarding how SNAP and WIC function and are administrated. you can't have SNAP stores and it's not possible to cut off specific states

The republicans would happily cut off food stamps from blue areas if only they could without starving their own base. It's reasonable to fear that they might look for - and find- a way to do just that. Or worse, that their base doesn't mind if they starve so long as the blacks do too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes thank you for the incredible panic about how evil republicans are, let's try to keep our fears bounded by reality because i'm sure the republicans would also blow up the moon if they thought it would increase their voter base

also, most african americans live in red states

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mistaya posted:

This loving country.

The reason you shouldn't mess with food stamps as a politician SHOULD BE you'd get thrown out on your rear end for being a loving wretch of a human being who shouldn't be in government by VOTERS.

The reason they won't mess with food stamps is because Walmart and Tyson will lobby them to keep subsidizing the working poor.

:911:

Thanks for the fresh take about how Republicans are all evil goblins, which we didn't all already know.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

boner confessor posted:

also, most african americans live in red states

Blue areas of those red states though, unless I'm just wrong.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BardoTheConsumer posted:

mostly, but are we fearing the republicans maliciously targeting blue states here or blue portions of red states, somehow working their way around the 10th amendment to deliberately interfere on a national level with local politics in red states

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

TheScott2K posted:

Thanks for the fresh take about how Republicans are all evil goblins, which we didn't all already know.

It is good to be reminded that the death cult that runs our country has not one shred of human decency. Let a man post.

boner confessor posted:

mostly, but are we fearing the republicans maliciously targeting blue states here or blue portions of red states, somehow working their way around the 10th amendment to deliberately interfere on a national level with local politics in red states

Both. I am fearing both because they could probably get away with it if it were quiet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

TheScott2K posted:

We've had like 3 pages of derail about food stamps because of an unverified tweet. Hot take away.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If they could defund/fund government assistance in the same way they gerrymander districts you loving know they would do that in a heartbeat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ularg posted:

If they could defund/fund government assistance in the same way they gerrymander districts you loving know they would do that in a heartbeat.

sure but since they can barely pass a tax cut right now im not too worried about their chances of setting up the shadow regulations necessary to do this

right now the national party is, uh, not making things easy for the state level parties

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

And and to answer everyone's questions about "How can Ryan and McConnel be so cruel?"- it is very simple. Ryan and McConnell are high functioning psychopaths. I say that without the slightest bit of hyperbole or exaggeration: I mean it literally. Ryan and McConnel are high functioning psychopaths. They do not posses the ability to feel empathy for other human beings and they do not posses an ideology such as you or I would understand it. What they have is unquenchable greed and the capability to tell any lie in pursuit of their own self interest. They see personal profit in causing the starvation of tens of millions of Americans and so they are simply pursuing that goal. There is nothing deeper going on in the minds of Ryan and McConnell.

I disagree 100%.

The reason they act in cruel ways is that they believe the traditional GOP lie that welfare makes one lazy, and that one must work to earn a living and to have any dignity. Not only do they believe it, they have swallowed it hook, line and sinker: it shapes their entire worldview and their policy stances on every single issue.

At first this doesn't make sense, since both Ryan and McConnell (and Hatch, too) have come from very humble beginnings and used to rely on the very government programs they are trying to dismantle. But that's just basic human psychology in action, something called the Fundamental Attribution Error, which basically states that people attribute their own success to their internal characteristics (hard work, intelligence, ethics, etc.) and their own failures to external factors (bad luck, getting hosed over by others, etc.), whereas they attribute the success of others to external factors (good luck, government assistance, circumstance, etc.) and the failures of others to internal characteristics (laziness, greed, immorality, etc.).

So Ryan for example has probably internalized, over the years, the belief that he got to where he is today because he's smart and hard-working, and may in fact believe he became successful despite relying on government assistance, that food stamps were reducing his will to work hard but he worked hard anyway because he just has a really strong work ethic. And he probably views society's ills as being caused by, or at least exacerbated by, welfare programs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Or worse, that their base doesn't mind if they starve so long as the blacks do too.

Bad news.

https://twitter.com/RickSmithShow/status/945761892760457216

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Please. That's just fixing entitlement from the demand side.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

The reason they won't mess with food stamps is because Walmart and Tyson will lobby them to keep subsidizing the working poor their business model.

Fixed your quote.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Not that this adds anything to the conversation, but I've had pharmacy techs in Louisiana who have to get food stamps to feed their families, but also have to get a ~$25000 degree from a licensed "tech education program". They make $11-15 an hour depending on seniority. The whole situation is hosed beyond belief.

Edit: The poverty stats for my town are similarly awful, and aren't unique. If SNAP went out this state would burn to the ground.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 26, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of my buddies from college worked as a legislative aide for a CA house rep in DC after he graduated. The pay was bad enough that he was on food stamps in spite of spending like loving 16+ hours a day at work. It'd be kinda interesting to see Congress starve their own employees, honestly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmmm on one hand, the boomers suffer.

On the other, they're not coherent enough to appreciate it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Reik posted:

Walmart is big, but I can't imagine it's pharma/fossil fuel big?

Fortune posted:

1. Walmart earned $485.7 billion in revenue in 2014, which outpaced No. 2 Exxon Mobil by $103 billion.

If anyone is still on the fence about just how loving huge Walmart is...

you know those cardboard bins of lovely direct-to-dvd movies they have at each store? The ones with $3 movies that no one's ever heard of?

Take a guess how much revenue walmart makes each year from JUST those bins of $3 movies.

Go ahead, take a guess. I'll spoiler the answer for you.

$2 billion a year (also the answer is 5+ years old. it's probably more by now)

I learned this the day walmart acquired the startup I was at.

Walmart is gigantic.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

$2 billion a year

Walmart is gigantic.

Got it in one! (wouldn't have without your buildup)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sundae posted:

One of my buddies from college worked as a legislative aide for a CA house rep in DC after he graduated. The pay was bad enough that he was on food stamps in spite of spending like loving 16+ hours a day at work. It'd be kinda interesting to see Congress starve their own employees, honestly.

Feature, not a bug. An easy way to make it so the political system is only populated by the wealthy is to make working in its entry level jobs unaffordable for anyone without family money.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If anyone is still on the fence about just how loving huge Walmart is...

you know those cardboard bins of lovely direct-to-dvd movies they have at each store? The ones with $3 movies that no one's ever heard of?

Take a guess how much revenue walmart makes each year from JUST those bins of $3 movies.

$2 billion a year (also the answer is 5+ years old. it's probably more by now)

Walmart is gigantic.

I'm somehow not surprised, every time I go to Walmart there's at least one family digging through those bins like they're looking for gold. I don't get it, but I guess somebody's enjoying those movies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The Food Stamp Office in those areas will only be open from 10:00 am to 10:30 am on any Thursday that's not a prime number that is not immediately proceeded by a day divisible by 4.

edit: To cut down on waste and fraud.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I disagree 100%.

The reason they act in cruel ways is that they believe the traditional GOP lie that welfare makes one lazy, and that one must work to earn a living and to have any dignity. Not only do they believe it, they have swallowed it hook, line and sinker: it shapes their entire worldview and their policy stances on every single issue.

I don't think they're malicious or callous as PJ sees it, but something even more dangerous, even pathogenic. These are True Believers who, in their own minds, are honestly out to correct the wrongs of the world. They just grossly misunderstand reality. Because of that they can communicate intentions very well, bringing along the garbage with it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

I don't think they're malicious or callous as PJ sees it, but something even more dangerous, even pathogenic. These are True Believers who, in their own minds, are honestly out to correct the wrongs of the world. They just grossly misunderstand reality. Because of that they can communicate intentions very well, bringing along the garbage with it.

I think that's all too generous. I see it as PJ sees it.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Taerkar posted:

The Food Stamp Office in those areas will only be open from 10:00 am to 10:30 am on any Thursday that's not a prime number that is not immediately proceeded by a day divisible by 4.

edit: To cut down on waste and fraud.

Also making any mistake whatsoever on your paperwork will result in you being shot with a beanbag gun.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Okay, l can see Ryan that way that I described, McConnell not so much.

e- Yeah the more that I think about it, Mitchy always seems so malicious behind that hideous smile.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TVs Ian posted:

I'm somehow not surprised, every time I go to Walmart there's at least one family digging through those bins like they're looking for gold. I don't get it, but I guess somebody's enjoying those movies.

Kids, man. Stick em in front of something with flashy colors and you can have a little time to just unwind.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Not that I'm trying to throw Paul Ryan a rope, he's a destructive rear end in a top hat too, I just think it's a different diagnosis.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

TVs Ian posted:

I got cruel intentions 2 out of one of those, and it is worth 10x more for sure

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

boner confessor posted:

yall have some pretty big misunderstandings regarding how SNAP and WIC function and are administrated. you can't have SNAP stores and it's not possible to cut off specific states

I'm actually very familiar with SNAP and WIC as I sign people up for the program through a volunteer outreach LGBT Center program.

You absolutely can set SNAP up to function that way if they reform it and Republicans could change the program so you can only use SNAP funds at approved locations or retailers.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/links-state-agency-wic-approved-food-lists

It's not even that difficult to do and Republican's have wanted to do this for years really.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KickerOfMice posted:

Not that I'm trying to throw Paul Ryan a rope, he's a destructive rear end in a top hat too, I just think it's a different diagnosis.

Unless that ropes so he can hang himself.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Unless that ropes so he can hang himself.

I got a cookbook for Christmas that has a bunch of meatloaf recipes in it. There is a recipe from Mr. Ryan in there, it's venison loaf. I'm not sure I should cook it. :ohdear:

VVV
:black101:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My grandmother had a stack of calendars and asked if we wanted one. I found a Reagan one in there so I took it.

12 Months of Gipper.

I hung it over my dartboard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can totally see Republican's pushing for welfare reform next year through the reconcilliation process. They got their Tax plan through which was incredibly unpopular.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KickerOfMice posted:

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's a mixture of the two. The true believers are the useful idiots that provide a screen and a 'reasonable excuse' for the exploitative and malicious fucks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

I can totally see Republican's pushing for welfare reform next year through the reconcilliation process. They got their Tax plan through which was incredibly unpopular.
Yes, but they can’t do that until September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Hollismason posted:

They've already burned their two reconciliation votes. If they want to push that through just before an election, more power to them.

• Locked thread