Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry guys, I read the OP but I didn't see much about this. I'm going through a lot of changes in my life, and basically, I'm probably going to be moving into an apartment by myself. When I was growing up I lived out in the country and we did a lot of gardening of vegetables / herbs / flowers / roses / etc. Do you all have some suggestions for unique / interesting plans I could grow indoors? Or do you have a good resource for this type of thing and I can do the research myself? I really want to get back in touch with this part of me, but I don't really have an outdoor space.

There is a community garden I can try to go to, but I want to have some stuff in my apt. https://www.plano.gov/1704/Plano-Community-Garden

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rite Of Massage posted:

Hi, I'm trying to get back into gardening, but by putting stuff in my cube instead of having a plot of land. Are there any resources like books or websites that a beginner can learn how to take care of succulents? I couldn't find a thread about it.

Step 1: stop touching them
Step 2: stop watering them

Boom, happy succulents!

I have a lot of succulents in generic potting soil or decent looking dirt I dug up, don't stress over having the perfect mix. They do need sunlight though :/

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Adding to that, cacti and succulents are happily grown on sunny Texas patios. You can experiment with tomatoes, herbs (rosemary seems especially suited), and all sorts of stuff. My advice for growing at a Texas apartment is to take a good look at how much light you get if you have a porch to grow on. Full sun vs partial shade makes all the difference for the plants I've tried growing. Oh, and water your non-desert plants often, you've messed if they've wilted.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Smugworth posted:

Adding to that, cacti and succulents are happily grown on sunny Texas patios. You can experiment with tomatoes, herbs (rosemary seems especially suited), and all sorts of stuff. My advice for growing at a Texas apartment is to take a good look at how much light you get if you have a porch to grow on. Full sun vs partial shade makes all the difference for the plants I've tried growing. Oh, and water your non-desert plants often, you've messed if they've wilted.

Yea but also to add on this.. if you aren't over watering them and they still look sad (read dying) take them out of direct sun. I've moved a lot of my plants around until I found a spot they liked and usually that means less sun than I thought. I have no idea why my aloes seem to like breaks from the sun during the day but they do?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Great, thank you guys! Good place to start.

Growing stuff was a big part of my life when I was growing up, and I would just like to reconnect with that even if in a limited way.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

go grab some cheap 4" succulents asap and watch them pop. Avoid home depot cacti imo, I've had some bad luck with them in the past. I loveeee weird looking plants. If I can find a cheap string of pearls this spring I'll be so happy but everywhere I find them they are so overpriced I can't jump on them

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Guys help, I hosed up.

I've had a dragon tree(well two potted together) for the last 7 years and it's very dear to me. It was left by the previous owner in the cubical I got with my first real corporate job. They got it as a freebie from an earth day event and it was still in it's lovely plastic planter cup and nothing more than a few leaves sticking out of a clump of dirt. It wasn't even properly labeled. The tag just said "Tropical Foliage".

I've had it at my desk every position and company since then except with my latest move where I'm no longer near a good window for it, so I've had it at home. I've had it on my balcony and it's been thriving in the Texas sun and heat but last week we had a cold front come through finally and I hosed up and forgot to bring it in for a few days. I don't think it ever reached freezing, but it definitely got too cold for it. The leaves are almost transparent towards the ends, but still have green towards the trunk.

It's been a few days and I've had it next to the window to try and get some light while staying warm but it's been shedding lots of leaves. About 10 per day I'd say. It's almost out of leaves to drop and the top of one of the trunks has slumped over and that big clump of leaves is sure to fall off as well in the next day or two.

The trunk is still stiff and appears healthy, as I'm sure the roots are too. I'm just really worried about all the leaves falling off. It's lost leaves before when being repotted or light conditions get darker but never has it lost leaves this rapidly or to this extent. If it drops all it's leaves, can it survive until spring and then bud again? Will I need to do any pruning to the top? I have a pretty good understanding of what this plant normally needs and how to take care of it but I've never had to deal with chill damage before.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

go grab some cheap 4" succulents asap and watch them pop. Avoid home depot cacti imo, I've had some bad luck with them in the past. I loveeee weird looking plants. If I can find a cheap string of pearls this spring I'll be so happy but everywhere I find them they are so overpriced I can't jump on them

Yeah this. Get some lithops if you want something weird and unusual. There's even a species sometimes called the rose of Texas, although they're actually all native to Southern Africa.

That or some air plants or carnivorous plants (do some reading first though, each of these has pretty unique care requirements.)

If you want something useful, grow some perennial herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, savory, etc)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
What can people tell me about Cordyline Florica? I saw a beautiful red/deep green plant that I am hoping will do alright in my basement office. It's cool (low 60s in the winter) and has some amount of dim indirect natural sun (a 3'x2' east facing window). Forced air heat, so humidity is going to drop in the winter.

I had a pair of dracenea down there that I almost murdered through a combination of light deprivation and over watering, but they are thankfully recovering now. I understand Cordyline are related to dracenea, but I am reading they prefer more moist soil -- should I just stick with the "water when the top 1" feels dry"? I have a light/moisture/pH meter (best purchase I've made in a while).

Also I just impulse purchased some HD succs. Here is hoping I don't kill them!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zeris posted:

I am seriously digging your furniture/color/decoration aesthetic, it's like asian/scandanavian minimalism done right

Talking to me? Unfortunately the decor in that first picture (with the white lamp etc) is just a random one I found on a website, not mine.

But I do try to do the whole minimalism thing though!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Guys help, I hosed up.

If you check my posts in this thread you'll see I did a very similar thing a few years ago with a gifted mangrove bonsai. Cold is a killer and really the best thing you can do is avoid it. Since that ship has sailed, the best thing you can do now is give your plant as close to optimal possible conditions (light, water, nutrients) as possible and see if it pulls through. Leaves dropping is not the end of the world assuming the trunk and roots are healthy, and if the trunk still feels solid it might yet survive. Pruning probably won't do anything but stress the tree more, but if there are any healthy bits you could possibly take a cutting and try rooting it to make a clone of your tree. However without leaves that probably won't work.

Plants come and go and this can be a good lesson, as crappy as that seems. I certainly never left a plant outside in the cold again after I killed my bonsai.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I am a complete plant novice and I have two unrelated questions:

1.) Have I killed this peace lily (I think that's what it is)? If not, what do I do to rescue it? Someone told me to water it once a week and I've been doing that (one 12-ounce cup worth of water), but I have no idea if that's right or if that's the right amount. Does it need direct sunlight every day? What's that green thread stuff in there?

2.) I recently bought a house. There's a tree in the corner of the property that looks pretty dead and I think it needs to go. There's also a big thing in the front yard that the previous owner thought was a tree and I'm pretty sure it's actually just a gigantic weed (it's ugly as gently caress either way). I want to get rid of both. There's a tree removal service nearby that's running a promotion from now through February, but is it wise to remove trees/giant weeds like that at this time of year? I live in the Midwest, and there's some snow on the ground. Would this be a one-way ticket to murdering my yard?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Your peace lily looks fine! You can remove the spent "blooms" to tidy it up, and you don't really need to water it until it droops. They do well in low light, but mine gets a fair amount of sun in an east window and is pretty happy. More sun means more "flowers," but direct sun can fade/brown the leaves. The thready bits at the bottom look like Spanish moss or another kind of moss that florists use to cover up the dirt. You can remove it or leave it there; it's just for looks.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 27, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Surf rock, you need to remove trees while they are dormant before spring. It’s easier, but more importantly you don’t hurt nesting birds.

For Christmas I got a premium round nosed hand forged bulldog spade and a hand forged de Walt rake. Plus I bought me two old English David Austin shrubs. God I hate my clay and rubble soil, any other garden would be happy with any old spade, mine actually needs £40 groundbreaking spades and a mattock.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

learnincurve posted:

Surf rock, you need to remove trees while they are dormant before spring. It’s easier, but more importantly you don’t hurt nesting birds.

OK, I had no idea. There aren't really branches left on the tree for birds to make nests in, but if this is the best time to do it regardless, that sounds good. Thanks!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

kedo posted:

If you check my posts in this thread you'll see I did a very similar thing a few years ago with a gifted mangrove bonsai. Cold is a killer and really the best thing you can do is avoid it. Since that ship has sailed, the best thing you can do now is give your plant as close to optimal possible conditions (light, water, nutrients) as possible and see if it pulls through. Leaves dropping is not the end of the world assuming the trunk and roots are healthy, and if the trunk still feels solid it might yet survive. Pruning probably won't do anything but stress the tree more, but if there are any healthy bits you could possibly take a cutting and try rooting it to make a clone of your tree. However without leaves that probably won't work.

Plants come and go and this can be a good lesson, as crappy as that seems. I certainly never left a plant outside in the cold again after I killed my bonsai.

I went through your posts and it's almost exactly the situation I'm going through. The good news is that it didn't get nearly as cold for me, and I think my plant is probably bigger than your bonsai tree was.

Here it is on my makeshift life support. The lights are antique work lights so I'm wary of leaving them on when I'm not home so I move it near the window when I go to bed so it will get some light from the windows while I'm at work. Today it only dropped 2 leaves so that's maybe an improvement.

It's a bad picture because you can't see the big clump of leaves that appears to come out the left side is actually the second trunk behind the first and it's slumped down at like a 30 degree angle from the top

e: Here's the earliest picture I have of it :gerty:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

surf rock posted:

1.) Have I killed this peace lily (I think that's what it is)? If not, what do I do to rescue it? Someone told me to water it once a week and I've been doing that (one 12-ounce cup worth of water), but I have no idea if that's right or if that's the right amount. Does it need direct sunlight every day? What's that green thread stuff in there?

2.) I recently bought a house. There's a tree in the corner of the property that looks pretty dead and I think it needs to go. There's also a big thing in the front yard that the previous owner thought was a tree and I'm pretty sure it's actually just a gigantic weed (it's ugly as gently caress either way). I want to get rid of both. There's a tree removal service nearby that's running a promotion from now through February, but is it wise to remove trees/giant weeds like that at this time of year? I live in the Midwest, and there's some snow on the ground. Would this be a one-way ticket to murdering my yard?

The one thing I'd consider is a bigger pot for that peace lily. Otherwise it looks really happy!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I got this for Christmas, what iiiiis it (other than a ficus who went to pride week)

foilage:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It looks like a croton!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Hirayuki posted:

It looks like a croton!

Oh awesome, I have one in animal crossing but it doesn't look like the real one :x

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just moved one out of a gift arrangement; it's down to just a stem, so it'll be a long road back to looking half as healthy and beautiful as yours. I had one in AC, too. :3:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

I got this for Christmas, what iiiiis it (other than a ficus who went to pride week)

foilage:

Yep, that's a croton. Actually, that might be more than one variety. It really comes down to the shape of the leaves. The round-leaved one might be Petra, but I don't know about the lobed one.

Good luck! I've never had luck with them. Bugs eventually got each one I've had, and I've had 5-ish? I remember them being very thirsty plants.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Picture comes from this reddit thread.

New Years is upon us! Let us get ready to turn a new leaf!

eonwe posted:

Sorry guys, I read the OP but I didn't see much about this. I'm going through a lot of changes in my life, and basically, I'm probably going to be moving into an apartment by myself. When I was growing up I lived out in the country and we did a lot of gardening of vegetables / herbs / flowers / roses / etc. Do you all have some suggestions for unique / interesting plans I could grow indoors? Or do you have a good resource for this type of thing and I can do the research myself? I really want to get back in touch with this part of me, but I don't really have an outdoor space.

There is a community garden I can try to go to, but I want to have some stuff in my apt. https://www.plano.gov/1704/Plano-Community-Garden

Hey, welcome! Glad to see another goon giving gardening a shot! As for actual dedicated websites for plants... To me, it seems like a lot of the useful info on plants are fragmented on various plant forums that are only reached by googling the type of plant variety one has. African Violets have their own pages, while desert plants have their own care pages, etc. A lot of the info I know about plant care has been accumulated from years of researching different websites, but it'd be great if there was a better centralized source of plant info... If any goons know, please post your link recommendations! Visiting your local library and picking up multiple gardening or plant books that look interesting might also be helpful too if you want something you could flip through and get a good selection of.

For a general overview of houseplants, I can recommend https://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/ , and checking the bar on the right where they have a listing of plant names plus a number that ranks them accordingly from hardest to easiest to cultivate indoors. Looking at it, it seems like I made a big loving mistake by picking up a Rex begonia lately, the hardest one one the list...

So long as you have a good enough light source, you can grow almost anything* indoors. I personally have artificial lights to help me out, but if you have a bright enough window than you should be good to go. Most succulents do great on a bright window sill. Haworthias are fantastic at staying alive in nothing more than a yogurt cup full of well-draining dirt amended with perlite. Does it care if you water it regularly, or if you forget about it months at a time? That's cool, brah, it'll still be trucking along. They also do a good job at notifying you when they are thirsty by turning red/purplish and having leaves go spindly. As soon as you water it, it will immediately look healthy again. Great plants!

Peace lilies, christmas cactus, and red-veined prayer plants are also pretty forgiving. African violets are good too, but make sure they are watered from the bottom and they have good air flow around them so they don't get sick.

ANTI RECOMMENDATION: anything related to Dracaena plants. They are strong and robust plants, but god help you if your local municipality chlorinates/fluorinates the tap water you use to hydrate the plant. They actually begin to die slowly with the tap water I have around here, and trying conventional tricks used to clear out chlorine hasn't helped for me.

*(with the exception of junipers/cypresses/conifers/and other trees that need to be exposed to natural outdoor temperatures in order to keep up their seasonal life cycle)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my brother brought me some free-to-staff damaged sweet potatoes that we never ate and they sprouted and grew a bunch of small leaves. i cut off the pieces with the leaves and tried growing it on the windowsill but i think it was too cold there, so i just left it in the kitchen and it loves the warmth even if it doesn't get very much natural light.

getting a little root-bound there :newlol:

i love the color (it matches half of my kitchen utensils/tools lmao) and i think i'm going to put it in a small planter box and put it on top of the cabinets and let it do its thing! i was surprised at how easily it rooted in the warmth of the kitchen and how much it's grown, and it's a nice contrast to my multiple darker pothos i have everywhere else.

that glass cup with the gravel has kept alive quite a few plants (java moss, small pothos cuttings) in the past 6 months...

otoh my biggest succulent is doing really bad, i guess i watered it too much. lost a lot of pieces. it's not getting enough light either but i had to move everything inside a couple months back and we keep the blinds closed so it doesn't end up being 80 degrees in the living room. it's got a bunch of new growth coming out of the thick stems so i hope it'll be okay.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm always surprised to see the giant tuberous root when I pull up my outdoor Ipomoea at the end of the season. Yep, that's a sweet potato, all right.

I had received an arrowhead plant (Nephthytis) from a neighbor years ago when they moved away and had kept it in water this whole time. I just now put it in a proper pot with proper soil and a prayer that it flourishes in its new home. :ohdear:

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

I was given some kind of aloe variant from a neighbor last summer. It was in a small ugly pot so I repotted it into a larger terra-cotta pot. It seemed to be doing ok and started putting up new sprouts from the center. Recently it started growing out from the center of one of the stems:

The new segment is all weird and hairy inside:

Wot’s... Uh the deal?

Bonus snacking sundew

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ragtime All The Time posted:

I was given some kind of aloe variant from a neighbor last summer. It was in a small ugly pot so I repotted it into a larger terra-cotta pot. It seemed to be doing ok and started putting up new sprouts from the center. Recently it started growing out from the center of one of the stems:

The new segment is all weird and hairy inside:

Wot’s... Uh the deal?

Bonus snacking sundew

Maybe it's trying to flower? There are some quite pretty aloe flowers.

Nice sundew!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

surf rock posted:

Nope, as others have mentioned, it's looking happy. You can nip off the dead flowers. Watch your peace lily, when the leaves start to droop, water it. That's the biggest thing. Mine is two years old and the watering thing has been key. It'll grow flowers again over the year. They usually grow one to three at a time. You probably want a bigger pot for it and an area where it'll get decent light. It doesn't need direct light.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm in zone 8. I found some cheap rear end bulbs to plant with my other cheapass bulbs that I got. Is there any reason not to go ahead and sling them in the ground like, tomorrow?

E: Said cheapass bulbs were tulips and daffodils

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm in zone 8. I found some cheap rear end bulbs to plant with my other cheapass bulbs that I got. Is there any reason not to go ahead and sling them in the ground like, tomorrow?

Is the ground frozen solid where you are?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's a little late for those two. The best I could figure would take some real timing. Start forcing them indoors a couple weeks before spring, then move them outdoors when the temp is right.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've been watching my monstera produce a new leaf over the past few days and it's a pretty amazing sight to see. Last night was especially cool because by then the new leaf that was exposed (still furled up at the moment) was about 3 inches or so long but I think due to the weight you could see it being split further from its sheath in real time. I can't wait to see how big this new leaf is.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hubis posted:

Is the ground frozen solid where you are?

Not even slightly.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've planted fall bulbs as late as Christmas day and had them sprout in the spring in zone 6

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If they're cheap and the ground isn't frozen it's not like you have a lot to lose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm trying to kill a flies/gnats infestation before it gets even worse so I poured some apple cider vinegar into a glass and added a few drops of liquid dish soap to it. Set the glass right next to one of my plants that I've seen flies around over night and only one was killed while others are still flying around seemingly not interested at all. Did I use too much soap? Is my apple cider vinegar too acidic? Am I suppose to stir the mixture? Does it just take more time? I just opened up a lovely can of beer and poured out some into a bowl and dropped some soap in it too. I have no opened bottles of red wine to try but I might just buy some cheap poo poo later today.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've used about 2/1/1 parts water/vinegar/honey (or syrup) to get rid of fruit flies. Mix it gently, then add a single drop of soap to remove the surface tension. And of course make sure any other source of breeding ground is removed, like old fruit or trash.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 4, 2018

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm trying to kill a flies/gnats infestation before it gets even worse so I poured some apple cider vinegar into a glass and added a few drops of liquid dish soap to it. Set the glass right next to one of my plants that I've seen flies around over night and only one was killed while others are still flying around seemingly not interested at all. Did I use too much soap? Is my apple cider vinegar too acidic? Am I suppose to stir the mixture? Does it just take more time? I just opened up a lovely can of beer and poured out some into a bowl and dropped some soap in it too. I have no opened bottles of red wine to try but I might just buy some cheap poo poo later today.

I've only ever seen the beer/cider remedy work on fruit flies. Try and figure out what you're dealing with or at least where they're coming from. Do they like to fly around right in your face? Probably fungus gnats.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yea this works for fruit flies but I tried cider for Fungus Gnats and they ignored it.

If you're got fungus gnats, they're a giant pain. I tried cider, potato slices in the soil (they collect larvae), yellow sticky cards, and even saran-wrapping pots closed to prevent new infestations - all this kept them under control, but didn't eradicate. Now I'm doing mosquito dunk watering, supposedly this works on gnats too. Above all else make sure you segregate infested pots so they don't spread.

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is the best, apparently, but hard to find in mainland Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sounds like fungus flies. They eat microscopic fungus from the soil. I had a coworker bring in an infested plant and they spread to mine. I finally got rid of them by putting a half inch layer of sand on top of my soil.

The sand drains water away quickly and doesn't grow fungus apparently. Also I don't think the flies will lay eggs on it.