Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also back on movie chat, in my opinion dune needs to be made like one of those 60's epics that's insanely lavishly produced and nearly bankrupts the studio in the process

minimum one intermission and the whole thing has to be shot on 70mm

and no CGI armies, that's gotta be a thousand extras trucked out to the desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also back on movie chat, in my opinion dune needs to be made like one of those 60's epics that's insanely lavishly produced and nearly bankrupts the studio in the process

i am rock freaking hard right now. i want lawrence of arabia production values with twice as many extras as waterloo and its twice as long as both of them combined

also everything in this post:

shut up netface posted:

Trailer
Music by Sunn O)))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0Z2yndlOs
fade up to thopters flying over arrakis

FEAR.

cuts to closeup of Paul reciting(I say Dev Patel, its gonna be weird with a pale white guy in a desert the entire time)

FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER
BATTLE SHOTS

FEAR IS THE blah blah voiceover the entirety
shots of benegesserit witches, assorted characters fromthe houses, esp House Harkonnen, more battles, fremen, knife fighting, a vague shape of a navigator in a tank, solid neon blue eyes,

END WITH SHOT OF SANDWORM BREECHING
smash cut to WINTER 2020

gave me a boner except instead of winter 2020 its january 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mackensie posted:

This covers it in depth. Crazy depth, and is heavily spoilered. You should get an understanding of it because, basically, it is the basis for the whole Dune enchilada.

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Kwisatz_Haderach

thanks friend

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new blade runner was a little boring but the technical competency of the beautiful creative visuals make me a little giddy for D U N E 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

paul_soccer10 posted:

new blade runner was a little boring but the technical competency of the beautiful creative visuals make me a little giddy for D U N E 2018

I want a movie that you can watch while extremely h i g h and denis vill has demonstrated he can deliver that so :yeah:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

And how can this be? For he IS the kwisatz hadarach!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Or by the BBC like "I, Claudius." A big costume drama series.

*sploosh*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HBO should pick it up as a TV series, it has probably has enough boobs and gay sex to interest them...

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

HBO should pick it up as a TV series, it has probably has enough boobs and gay sex to interest them...

Nevermind my post, this is better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

paul_soccer10 posted:

i am rock freaking hard right now. i want lawrence of arabia production values with twice as many extras as waterloo and its twice as long as both of them combined

oh wow i have not seen waterloo so i looked it up on ol' wik-e-pedia and god drat:

quote:

Production

Columbia Pictures published a 28-page, full-colour pictorial guide when it released Waterloo in 1970. According to the guidebook, Italian producer Dino De Laurentiis had difficulty finding financial backers for the massive undertaking until he finally began talks with the Soviets in the late 1960s and reached agreement with the Mosfilm organization. Final costs were over £12 million (GBP) (equivalent to about U.S. $38.3 million in 1970), making Waterloo one of the most expensive movies ever made, for its time. Had the movie been filmed in the West, costs might have been as much as three times this. Mosfilm contributed more than £4 million of the costs, nearly 17,000 soldiers of the Soviet Army, including a full brigade of Soviet cavalry, and a host of engineers and labourers to prepare the battlefield in the rolling farmland outside Uzhhorod, Ukraine (then part of the Soviet Union).

To recreate the battlefield authentically, the Soviets bulldozed away two hills, laid five miles of roads, transplanted 5,000 trees, sowed fields of rye, barley and wildflowers and reconstructed four historic buildings. To create the mud, more than six miles of underground irrigation piping was specially laid. Most of the battle scenes were filmed using five Panavision cameras simultaneously – from ground level, from 100-foot towers, from a helicopter, and from an overhead railway built right across the location.

Actual filming was accomplished over 28 weeks, which included 16 days of delay (principally due to bad weather). Many of the battle scenes were filmed in the summer of 1969 in often sweltering heat. In addition to the battlefield in Ukraine, filming also took place on location in Royal Palace of Caserta, Italy, while interior scenes were filmed on the large De Laurentiis Studios lot in Rome. The battle sequences of the film include about 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen as extras and 50 circus stunt riders were used to perform the dangerous horse falls. It has been joked that Sergei Bondarchuk was in command of the seventh-largest army in the world.[1] Months before the cameras started filming, the 17,000 soldiers began training to learn 1815 drill and battle formations, as well as the use of sabres, bayonets and handling cannons. A selected 2,000 additional men were also taught to load and fire muskets. This army lived in a large encampment next to the battlefield. Each day after breakfast, they marched to a large wardrobe building, donned their French, British or Prussian uniforms and fifteen minutes later were in position. The soldiers were commanded by officers who took orders from director Sergei Bondarchuk via walkie-talkie. To assist in the direction of this huge, multi-national undertaking, the Soviet-Ukrainian director had four interpreters permanently at his side: one each for English, Italian, French and Serbo-Croatian.

yes, yessssss

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

oh wow i have not seen waterloo so i looked it up on ol' wik-e-pedia and god drat:

yes, yessssss

See War and Peace.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Soviet war epics were loving bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcekvQeHS6o&t=1906s

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

yes, yessssss

If I don't get to see twenty thousand real Russians pretending be Sadukar pretending to be Harkonnens being slaughtered by another five thousand Russians each with neon blue contacts pretending to be sci-fi arabs i will RIOT

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

If I don't get to see twenty thousand real Russians pretending be Sadukar pretending to be Harkonnens being slaughtered by another five thousand Russians each with neon blue contacts pretending to be sci-fi arabs i will RIOT
Hollywood sold out Frank Herbert's legacy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Villeneuve is totally gonna cast Hugh Jackman as Duke Leto.

I don't have any inside info I'm just making a prediction. Also they worked together on Prisoners.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ironically, the Lynch Dune bankrupted the gently caress out of the production company because of his insistance on using trillion extras, pretty baller sets (I think Caladan and Geidi Prime scenes are just great but not so much the ones in Arakkis)

IMO, Lynch got couple of things so right that: Gurney Halleck is forever Patrick Steward, the guild navigator is a huge wrinkled talking penis, Feyd Rautha is Sting in a green space speedo, Baron Harkonnen always makes my stomach lurch etc.

Sadly, due to production/technology limitations the Arakkis scenes, anything involving space travel are atrocious looking and the movie lacks pretty much rest of the fluff made the books interesting (the Landstraat, CHOAM, Emperor Family, Fremen etc.) .

I dunno man, Dune is on such a great scale that we literally need a technology from Dune era to film that book properly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

poo poo, you fuckin' guessed it

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Ironically, the Lynch Dune bankrupted the gently caress out of the production company because of his insistance on using trillion extras, pretty baller sets (I think Caladan and Geidi Prime scenes are just great but not so much the ones in Arakkis)

IMO, Lynch got couple of things so right that: Gurney Halleck is forever Patrick Steward, the guild navigator is a huge wrinkled talking penis, Feyd Rautha is Sting in a green space speedo, Baron Harkonnen always makes my stomach lurch etc.

Sadly, due to production/technology limitations the Arakkis scenes, anything involving space travel are atrocious looking and the movie lacks pretty much rest of the fluff made the books interesting (the Landstraat, CHOAM, Emperor Family, Fremen etc.) .

I dunno man, Dune is on such a great scale that we literally need a technology from Dune era to film that book properly.

I really disliked the appearance of the navigator like that. I just couldn't wrap my head around why it looked like a guinea pig with gigantism. Like why would his mouth change?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune and women is a weird one because yeah there are obvious authorial problems that become more obvious as frank aged, but i see an effort to talk about women and sexual politics in a way most sci fi authors couldn't and wouldn't in his time.

The bene gesserit are a lot of things but most of the negative depictions of them come from llaces of ignorance and honestly he did okay-ish with women up until the arrival of the honored matres.

The fish speakers are an interesting tjought most hardliner conservative sci fi writers wouldnt even bother trying to depoct positively.

Thats as nice as i can be about it tjough. Frank was far from feminist and far from progressive.

Unrelated but a few pages back someone asked about non dune herbert books..

I recommend The Jesus Incident, Lazarus Effect, and i enjoyed Hellstrom's Hive although its not a particularly strong work from a critical standpoint.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Also, dear CineD guy who hates Villenvue, he's a good director and no, he is no David Lynch, but you're bever gonna see an auteur type film maker get his hands on any movie that a studio wants to build a franchise on. Getting someone as good as Villenvue is a loving blessing. God forbid Dune fall into the hands of JJ Abrams or any of that crew.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Remember the tooth, Bub!

basic hitler posted:

The Jesus Incident

Was that the one where everyone worSHIPed the spacship like a god and lol it's called worship because it's a ship!

That was a bizzare book

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

basic hitler posted:

I recommend The Jesus Incident, Lazarus Effect, and i enjoyed Hellstrom's Hive although its not a particularly strong work from a critical standpoint.
I liked Dosadi Experiment a lot and wish Herbert wrote more book from that universe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herr Bazooka posted:

I liked Dosadi Experiment a lot and wish Herbert wrote more book from that universe.

Whipping Star.

to be clear that's not a metaphor: a literal star gets literally whipped.

e:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 26, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if i remember right The Dosadi Experiment comes after Whipping Star

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
C.H.O.A.M. Gang

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lmao i want a choam gang tag.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why do the dune worms look like dicks with cavernous foreskins?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think both kyle machlahlan and patrick stewart should reprise their roles in new DUNE

uhh if brad dourif is alive also him

check out this awesome webpage i found when searching for his name
http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/starblazer/piter.html

paul_soccer10 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2017

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Why do the dune worms look like dicks with cavernous foreskins?

psychology

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope the baron is even more hosed up on needles and gas and boils in NEW DUNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

e: prostamp - he takes his shower at the 2 minute mark

paul_soccer10 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is Frank Herbert the Silent Hill circumcision dude??!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

poo poo, you fuckin' guessed it
I also want Dave Bautista as Rabban.

If I remember right Rabban is also kind of a tragic figure and Bautista could totally play that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

basic hitler posted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

C.H.O.A.M. Gang

:laffo:

:gowron:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just tell the the HBO folks that the books have sexy witches who are trying to bang the right Chads.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

someone make the tag pls :]