Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Im clicking around the recent payments and every address I check I get more amazed

https://www.nicehash.com/miner/1MwaZNKQtqUtnqK4DLiNUNjmV8dPUKf8HP

Thats just everyday life there lol

Wow it's like watching the end of civilization in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

That's almost entirely SHA-256 so it looks like direct BTC mining. What the gently caress :stonk:

That's only several top end antminers :q:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

QuarkJets posted:

Wow it's like watching the end of civilization in real time

Since Nicehash is only paying out the very large 0.1 BTC daily cutoffs all the transactions are pretty big timers, its entertaining to click around

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm not going to shill for miningpoolhub but i will say that i'm making more than i used to with nicehash, it lets me cash out basically whenever i want and will do so in a wide variety of low-fee altcoins. and the fee structure is obvious and fair.

ok i guess i'm shilling for miningpoolhub, but my point is if you've got literally any exposure with nicehash (and if you mine less than 0.1btc a day, you do) you should pick basically anything else. except winminer, their fees are both hidden and gigantic.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm not going to shill for miningpoolhub but i will say that i'm making more than i used to with nicehash, it lets me cash out basically whenever i want and will do so in a wide variety of low-fee altcoins. and the fee structure is obvious and fair.

ok i guess i'm shilling for miningpoolhub, but my point is if you've got literally any exposure with nicehash (and if you mine less than 0.1btc a day, you do) you should pick basically anything else. except winminer, their fees are both hidden and gigantic.

Winminer seems to be skimming 15-20% off of the whattomine.com 24 hour average numbers from what I can tell, but whatever, I'm still getting $3 a day of funny money after power costs just by using hardware I already have for playing video games. Not having to deal with cryptocurrency exchanges at all makes it worth it to me. If I had to touch the poop directly I probably wouldn't bother at all.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 26, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's a balance to be stuck between free dosh and touching the poop.

The only winning move is not to play. (says the OP of the Something Awful Forums Cryptocurrency Mining Thread)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kazinsal posted:

That's almost entirely SHA-256 so it looks like direct BTC mining. What the gently caress :stonk:

It's also like one bitcoin a day too, so it's not even like they're reducing their risk much by going with a pool. They should pull a coin on average.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's also like one bitcoin a day too, so it's not even like they're reducing their risk much by going with a pool. They should pull a coin on average.

It makes sense now. That's the kind of people that Nicehash wants. The kind who could feasibly start a pool instead of joining a mining collective but are too lazy or need to be able to drop into different algorithms without switching coins or whatever. Not the goons heating their homes with video cards while they sleep.

When you're pulling a tenth of a butt per day, Nicehash is an okay option. If you're not, Winminer or GTFO. You can't pull enough per day or even per week to slide your way out of all the scams and associated cryptocurrency poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is there any point to cashing out in anything except BTC? Does the gift card company that people here are using actually accept, say, LTC or FTC? Pretty sure all of that runs though Bitpay and they only take BTC at the moment, right?

(Bitpay is supposedly working on it and will have altcoin support early next year though)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there any point to cashing out in anything except BTC? Does the gift card company that people here are using actually accept, say, LTC or FTC? Pretty sure all of that runs though Bitpay and they only take BTC at the moment, right?

(Bitpay is supposedly working on it and will have altcoin support early next year though)
There are some ATM's which go Litecoin -> cash. Online exchanges will also go Litecoin -> USD.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
← Back to news
Withdraw to Coinbase without fees and instantly!
2017-12-26

Dear NiceHash users!

We are currently working on implementing the direct transfer of your BTC funds to Coinbase. In the next few days, you will be able to withdraw your balance funds from NiceHash wallet to your Coinbase account without any fees and instantly! Minimum amount to withdraw will be set at 0.001 BTC.

By now, you must be well aware that Bitcoin network is lately facing the increasingly high amount of unconfirmed transactions and Bitcoin transaction fees have reached extreme heights. Due to this reason, we had to temporarily disable payments for external wallet balances lower than 0.1 BTC and raise the minimum withdraw amount from NiceHash wallet to 0.0105 BTC. Please note that withdrawals and payments are manually confirmed once per day at 12:00 AM CET.

We know that this affects our small miners directly and to tackle this problem we are already actively working on implementing alternative crypto-currencies for payments.

Again, this change is only temporary and once the transaction queue goes back to normal and thus transaction fees, the 0.01 BTC payouts for external wallets will be enabled again.

Thank you for your support!

Your NiceHash team.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im guessing they just transferred a ton of BTC to coinbase totally not to sell as part of their exit scam. Since its an exchange to exchange transfer now, no fees. Maybe the expectation is that most of the users wont do it and they can safely sell off the rest without arousing suspicion

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Been doing the mona pool w/ these dudes. Get about 1 mona per day with the stuff I've got.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Mining Pool Hub MPH and awesome miner or something like that is actually popular with the bitcointalk crowd. Winminer is under constant accusations of theft from users for the low payouts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Im guessing they just transferred a ton of BTC to coinbase totally not to sell as part of their exit scam. Since its an exchange to exchange transfer now, no fees. Maybe the expectation is that most of the users wont do it and they can safely sell off the rest without arousing suspicion

Yeah I didn't bite for the new NiceHash stuff since their withdrawal system didn't change, but if they really start doing $16 minimum, free cashouts to Coinbase, I'll pick them back up for sure. Especially if I can cash out to Litecoin instead.

In the meantime, does anyone here do WinMiner to Coinbase LiteCoin? Do they charge any additional fees for that? I asked them about doing larger than $20 Amazon gift cards (since they charge a buck to process each card) and they said they're considering it, but I'm not holding my breath.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Zero VGS posted:

In the meantime, does anyone here do WinMiner to Coinbase LiteCoin? Do they charge any additional fees for that? I asked them about doing larger than $20 Amazon gift cards (since they charge a buck to process each card) and they said they're considering it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Before I switched back to nicehash I dumped my winminer balance to coinbase litecoin and they took a 3% cut + a 0.001 ltc transaction fee.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I would really love direct instant no fee transfer to coinbase lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thats not candy posted:

Before I switched back to nicehash I dumped my winminer balance to coinbase litecoin and they took a 3% cut + a 0.001 ltc transaction fee.

I thought the 3% is taken before it hits your balance though? They took another 3% on top of that? Because when I withdraw to Amazon gift cards they take exactly the $1 for the processing fee, no more or less.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Zero VGS posted:

I thought the 3% is taken before it hits your balance though? They took another 3% on top of that? Because when I withdraw to Amazon gift cards they take exactly the $1 for the processing fee, no more or less.

Yeah, 3% taken off the back plus whatever transaction fees. Winminers pretty poo poo. They're skimming a bunch off the top and then charging again for payout.

I tried paypal before that, which was also 3% from winminer and another 5% from paypal making it especially lovely. A dollar flat for a $20 gift card is probably cheaper in the long run, considering you'd have to drop another dollar or two to convert litecoin to usd. If you just want to hold litecoin its not bad, though.

If nicehash pulls through with coinbase transactions then I'll be tempted to buy another gpu or two and really roll in the poop

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I was just at Microcenter and every single sales rep in the parts area was talking with someone about mining :lol:

Also the CPUs and GPUs were more picked over than I have ever seen them but I'm sure Christmas played a role there as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

I was just at Microcenter and every single sales rep in the parts area was talking with someone about mining :lol:

Also the CPUs and GPUs were more picked over than I have ever seen them but I'm sure Christmas played a role there as well.

Yeah Microcenter sales reps earn a commission and they know drat well the power of greed is gonna move those GPUs. Also in Boston they have a display case for Vega which has been 100% out of stock for the past month and a half due to the mining lol.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone offered to buy my rx580 for $100 more than i paid. I think im going to and double down into a vega 56. Still cant play overwatch, but will mine a lot better

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Vega mining is somewhat hacky in comparison to polaris

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Vega mining is somewhat hacky in comparison to polaris

im not planning on flashing 64 bios or anything potentially stupid like that. Just using the amd mining driver and setting it to compute mode apparently puts it on par with a 1080ti on specific algos including ones on mpm and nicehash

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Making $10-14 per day with NiceHash (3x EVGA 1070 FTW); the first card more than paid itself off; I’ll be at break even in three to four months. Not bad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tehinternet posted:

Making $10-14 per day with NiceHash (3x EVGA 1070 FTW); the first card more than paid itself off; I’ll be at break even in three to four months. Not bad.

Have you noticed you can’t withdraw the virtual money you’ve mined

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah Microcenter sales reps earn a commission and they know drat well the power of greed is gonna move those GPUs. Also in Boston they have a display case for Vega which has been 100% out of stock for the past month and a half due to the mining lol.

Miners have been a problem for the company in general for the last year. On pretty much ever video card there is a limit of two, or if you buy more than two the price starts to skyrocket. They had to eliminate protection plans on them earlier in the year since the miners were killing cards in six months then buying new ones with the money from the plan.

Also be VERY, VERY wary of buying any open box video card as what they have started to do now is by the cards, mine crazy and then return them all within the 30 day return period. Almost every single one of those cards I have seen sold have ended up coming back dead within a few weeks.

I know a lot of the guys that have been doing this have been banned from buying anymore and have then move to having friends/wives/girlfriends try to do the buying and get banned as well. I don't work in that side of the business but the distain for the miner customers from top to bottom is pretty evident.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Have you noticed you can’t withdraw the virtual money you’ve mined

*shrug*

It’s basically bonus money, so if this doesn’t work out, I’ll swap over to mining an AltCoin directly.

E: worst case scenario, I build another PC for my kids, it’s not a big money risk we’re talking here

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are people doing that makes mining cards unstable? I've mined for years without inducing card death.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

What are people doing that makes mining cards unstable? I've mined for years without inducing card death.

Running their cards at 85c in 35c climates to get an extra 10% hash

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Risky Bisquick posted:

Running their cards at 85c in 35c climates to get an extra 10% hash

My cards ran at around that temperature. Gpus are made for that, iirc.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

divabot posted:

Solving the path-finding problem, btw, is unsolved computer science.

Well, there was an experiment recently that demonstrated that mold tends to naturally find the shortest path between two points when given many options to choose from. Perhaps the BTC miners that produced those moldy, GPU exhaust-fan dried strawberries could.. gently caress I was so sure I had an easy joke when I started typing, but thinking about this poo poo just makes me sad

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bloody Antlers posted:

Well, there was an experiment recently that demonstrated that mold tends to naturally find the shortest path between two points when given many options to choose from. Perhaps the BTC miners that produced those moldy, GPU exhaust-fan dried strawberries could.. gently caress I was so sure I had an easy joke when I started typing, but thinking about this poo poo just makes me sad

Mold is too old for most bitcoiners to be interested in :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
My 1080 sits at 58C at 65% TDP and <40% fan speed. When I was playing around with it and experimenting, going up to 90% TDP only increased the hash rate by about 10%, at least for Equihash (ZEN/ZCL). Not worth it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Idk, my 1070s stay at 70% TDP and I have another fan to circulate air; one card sits at about 65C, the others are 55-60C. I’m not gonna risk bricking a card over 2MH.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used a pair of 6870s in the 80s for two years. They still work fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You're not going to brick a card by running it at tdp 24/7. In fact, it's arguably better to run them that way than thermal cycling them with games and whatnot. Buying used mining cards isn't a crapshoot because of heat, it's a crapshoot because of idiots flashing hacked up BIOS images.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Then Pascal would be fine, right?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

tehinternet posted:

*shrug*

It’s basically bogus money, so if this doesn’t work out, I’ll swap over to mining an AltCoin directly.

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

tehinternet posted:

Idk, my 1070s stay at 70% TDP and I have another fan to circulate air; one card sits at about 65C, the others are 55-60C. I’m not gonna risk bricking a card over 2MH.

Your profit margins are probably better anyway with the way you have it since you're cutting power usage a lot for not much if a loss in hashing power.

• Locked thread