Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
These are great: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/pessimists-guide-to-2018/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DELETE CASCADE posted:

who cares, you think the mainlanders ask themselves that question before calling you guizi?

Guizi sounds like a clothing brand.

EDIT: Well, poo poo it is. Tacky women's shoes, to be exact.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I get all my clothes from Biemlfdlkk

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Somehow Corbyn raises taxes too high, but also doesn't have enough money.

Would China not be loving itself in the rear end by going into a trade war with the US over climate change reform?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Known Lecher posted:

2028 for Japan to have a nuclear ICBM? I feel like that could be 2018 if they really wanted to.

Yeah Japan's considered one of the de facto nuclear states, they have no weapons but it's assumed they could build them rapidly (within a year I think is the expectation) if they want.

Canada and Australia are two of the others, I forget the full list. Germany and Italy I believe are on there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah Japan's considered one of the de facto nuclear states, they have no weapons but it's assumed they could build them rapidly (within a year I think is the expectation) if they want.

Canada and Australia are two of the others, I forget the full list. Germany and Italy I believe are on there.

Japan is probably the closest; a year is the expectation, yeah. Helps that they already have missiles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Excuse me those are orbital rockets and totally nothing at all similar to an ICBM how dare you.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s very real domestic opposition to having nuclear weapons in Japan, but there are a lot of future scenarios that are basically uncharted territory in which public opinion might change but meh who knows

Grand Fromage posted:

Excuse me those are orbital rockets and totally nothing at all similar to an ICBM how dare you.

I mean they are orbital rockets, and Japan doesn’t pretend that orbital rockets aren’t basically the same as ICBMs. A couple years back they got hacked and there were concerns it was the North Koreans trying to steal pointers for their own missile program.

Japan’s also discussed submarine-launched cruise missiles as delivery platforms for its warheads, were it to acquire them, which would be more survivable and make sense given how good their subs are.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Excuse me this isn't a post it's a :thejoke:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nickmeister posted:

Would China not be loving itself in the rear end by going into a trade war with the US over climate change reform?

in the respective economies' current state, a trade war that sustained for 2-3 fiscal quarters would be really painful for the US because a lot of basic commodities would go up in price. a lot of economically marginal families would become 'poor' drat quickly and there'd likely be a lot of pain and outcry from these families at being unable to do things like clothe their kids properly.

of course, in this same period, China would probably be dealing with some extremely serious questions about their fundamental ability to exist and operate. remember, the entire reason it's not okay for politicians to talk about Chinese currency manipulation in public is because without that manipulation, China would be in flames in a few months, and that's not really in anyone's best interest.

obviously, who knows what is going to happen in the future, but considering the track record of the CCP and similar authoritarian pricks, the onus of evidence on the morons who think the 'chinese century' is actually real.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's near certain that Japan has the appropriate nuclear material ready to be processed into a bomb at a moment's notice, should things heat up in the neighborhood. Considering their neighbors they'd be p.stupid if they didn't, whatever the constitution.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Coolguye posted:

of course, in this same period, China would probably be dealing with some extremely serious questions about their fundamental ability to exist and operate. remember, the entire reason it's not okay for politicians to talk about Chinese currency manipulation in public is because without that manipulation, China would be in flames in a few months, and that's not really in anyone's best interest.

If all of their port cities became unsustainable, China would be dealing with some extremely serious questions about their fundamental ability to exist and operate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bajaj posted:

It also doesn't help that Mainlanders think heating heavy-metaled highly polluted tap water makes it safe to drink over something important like filtering it as much as possible. I always loved hearing the phrase "make water" meaning "take the brown sludge we call tap water and boil it for 5 minutes and then it's perfectly safe for consumption."

Meanwhile, in the Anglosphere, “making water” is a polite way of saying “pissing”.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Has anybody read the follow up to Poorly Made in China yet? What’s Wrong with China? Wanna know if it’s worth picking up.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Someone posted some screenshots and it looks good. But it's a little too expensive for me right now.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Bum the Sad posted:

Has anybody read the follow up to Poorly Made in China yet? What’s Wrong with China? Wanna know if it’s worth picking up.

Not as good as the original but it's a decent enough read if you need a chabuduo fix and like history. It's a bit light on Midler's personal experiences, which I found a bit disappointing. The bulk of the text instead revisits many older books written on China like the one haier just posted.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

big time bisexual posted:

Not as good as the original but it's a decent enough read if you need a chabuduo fix and like history. It's a bit light on Midler's personal experiences, which I found a bit disappointing. The bulk of the text instead revisits many older books written on China like the one haier just posted.

Agreed. It's nothing the average Tim Budong doesn't already know, but I can see it being more eye-opening to someone who hasn't lived in China.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
yikes, I thought changsha was a higher tier than this

:nms: sacrificing a dog to bring good luck to your new vw tiguan

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

saw them take out the dog from the cage and noooope ctrl+w

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This only works if done with rich people, you just murdered a dog for nothing

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TsarZiedonis posted:

There's no better way to celebrate Christmas alone than by going to Fairfax counties best (and only!) Xinjiang restaurant!

Gotta name names, man.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

<watches video>
<types "Changsha" into google>
<verifies that it's in a province that starts with an "H">
<nods sagely>

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Gotta name names, man.

Kiroran, next to the Bebop on Main Street in fairfax city.

They have really good large dishes too, like 大盘鸡,but you need like, friends to eat those with!

I only have bad and dumb pictures because I am bad and dumb, but I want to evangelize for their lamb, which is the thickest, juiciest lamb by far that I've ever had.

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 26, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

TsarZiedonis posted:

Kiroran, next to the Bebop on Main Street in fairfax city.

They have really good large dishes too, like 大盘鸡,but you need like, friends to eat those with!

I only have bad and dumb pictures because I am bad and dumb, but I want to evangelize for their lamb, which is the thickest, juiciest lamb by far that I've ever had.

Lol at calling Fairfax a city, but that looks amazing, I love some fat noodles.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bongwizzard posted:

Lol at calling Fairfax a city, but that looks amazing, I love some fat noodles.

there is a "Fairfax", and within that a "Fairfax City"

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/945730551067144192

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Zhang18/status/945218731600474112

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

His Divine Shadow posted:

5000 years, that's nothing!

This is funny for both intended and unintended reasons. I love how the foreigner is an ignorant racist who gets his comeuppance while the comic itself is also ignorant. LOL, the English language, and other languages spoken in America at that time already had their own alphabet.

"So nobody looks at you on the street?" Is this a reference to her being overweight? I don't understand.

The foreigner thinks Korean girls have small heads/brains? Is this a thing Koreans think foreigners think?

Where is this thing from?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

In America women just can't walk the streets without being looked at.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always thought the stereotype was that Koreans considered their heads to be far too large.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Maybe the english translation is just bad but what is the point of this comic? Is that woman with the blonde hair korean or what?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't understand what this has to do with telecommunications in the first place, but that's a SPICY ajumma.

E: or maybe I'm misremembering what that logo stands for

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She's a French woman who moved to JeJu Island many years ago after falling in love with the country and a local artist.

Much of the comic focuses on what it's like for someone who has lived somewhere for decades but is still treated as an outsider and the life of her son who is mixed race with blonde hair but has lived his entire life in the island.

Mostly it's Koreans poking fun at themselves using an 'outsider' to make them re-evaluate all the things they take for granted.

It helps a lot of you know all the characters, but it's really a good comic.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 27, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Could you post the name of the comic?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's called Mother From Another Country.

You can find it in The Comic Strip Megathread in BBS where's it's posted by Some Guy TT.

That link takes you to all his posts in the thread, he starts translating the Mother strips start about halfway down the first page.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

<watches video>
<types "Changsha" into google>
<verifies that it's in a province that starts with an "H">
<nods sagely>
Since it seems a majority of Shenzheners (in certain areas) are from Hunan, the province north of Guangdong, my non-Hunan Chinese friends all know that Hunan is a trigger word for me to start saying expletives. My theory is that there must be some heavy lead in the water there or something, because I've only known a few who haven't been the most frustrating examples of the most annoying parts of face culture cranked to 11. It's as if Hunan is a cultural drain, where all the rest of Chinese culture sinks and spirals down into Hunan and then collects there over Mao's fake-poverty home. On the surface, all the Hunanese I've known seem normal, but the moment a face decision comes into play they get all reeeeeee and flap around making GBS threads on everything before abandoning the place. In any other country they would be labeled socially retarded/toxic, but they kind of uphold some sort of retard-strength version of modern Mainland culture.
I've heard nothing but bad things about Changsha from foreigners and Chinese alike, even the Hunanese not from Changsha but who went to school or worked there. If even Chinese telling you a place is filthy and extremely polluted, then it has to be on a level us waiguoren don't know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Whats the deal with chinese people and empathy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Whats the deal with chinese people and empathy?

what's the deal with gummi bears and parking lot gravel?

• Locked thread