Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Merry Christmas lit thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

merry christmas. i’m spending the spare time reading paradise lost and it owns somewhat

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Paradise Lost is insanely good but Samuel Johnson was right in saying no one ever wished it longer than it is

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Mere Christmas folks

CestMoi posted:

Paradise Lost is insanely good but Samuel Johnson was right in saying no one ever wished it longer than it is

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Got the 150th Anniversary hardcover of Annotated Alice for Christmas! :neckbeard:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

After The War posted:

Got the 150th Anniversary hardcover of Annotated Alice for Christmas! :neckbeard:

Noice! That's one of my favorites.

I gave the wife this, lol, the mod of this forum reads comic books:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books-the-life-and-opinions-of-tristram-shandy-1361311.html

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books-the-life-and-opinions-of-tristram-shandy-1361311.html

As someone who knows nothing about English literature, this article might as well be postmodern fiction itself. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the comic book adaptation of Tristram Shandy he describes, and Tristram Shandy itself, were entirely fictional and made up by the author

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was thinking of maybe getting lincoln in the bardo at some point next year, but then I got it as a gift for christmas

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Much as i love Rowson, i shall reserve my opinion on him for BSS as is right.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

loving amazing. I really ought to read Tristram Shandy in 2018.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
you cant really pull a "surprise I read comics" when you are a walking Hellboy reference

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you cant really pull a "surprise I read comics" when you are a walking Hellboy reference

Hieronymous Alloy is a character from The Goon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's the name of a villain in "The Goon" by Eric Powell (get it?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Much as i love Rowson, i shall reserve my opinion on him for BSS as is right.

Technically speaking comic books are books so it's ok

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
To be fair, if I actually knew the comic it would have been a pretty hard self own

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

the mod of this forum reads comic books:

resign

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Approached by a young relative I’m asked what my favourite comic book is. I reply of course ‘Tristram Shandy’. He is bemused at my answer and naturally I spit on the seven year old child, merry Christmas

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Finished Melancholy of Resistance recently. I thought it was very good until I read the last three pages and then I thought it was loving amazing. Like, that last bit was incredible.

Just started reading Blake Butler's There Is no Year and I can't tell if I like it. But there are some really good "chapters"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm going to embark on reading In Search of Lost Time in 2018. I wonder how long it'll take me to read it

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehoodie posted:

Finished Melancholy of Resistance recently. I thought it was very good until I read the last three pages and then I thought it was loving amazing. Like, that last bit was incredible.

I thought you were mixing up the titles of Anatomy of Melancholy and Anatomy of Resistance, both of which have been on my mind lately, but no, there really is a book called Melancholy of Resistance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Carlosologist posted:

I'm going to embark on reading In Search of Lost Time in 2018. I wonder how long it'll take me to read it

Nabokov estimates that you can finish the entire oeuvre in a month.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Heath posted:

Methamphetamine wasn't a controlled substance until 1965.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

J_RBG posted:

Approached by a young relative I’m asked what my favourite comic book is. I reply of course ‘Tristram Shandy’. He is bemused at my answer and naturally I spit on the seven year old child, merry Christmas

I always say Wilhelm Busch whenever a child asks me what my favorite comic is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Heath posted:

I wish I had the free time and reading speed to do this

I picked up Rules of Civility by Amor Towles when I was shopping today, I had never heard of it or the author until I saw it in the book store so it should be fun to read!

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Heath posted:

It took me about a year, but I also read other books & played video games, so ymmv.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Carlosologist posted:

I picked up Rules of Civility by Amor Towles when I was shopping today, I had never heard of it or the author until I saw it in the book store so it should be fun to read!

Haven't read that but I'm reading A Gentleman in Moscow right now. About halfway through and it's really good, should be done by tomorrow. Also just read all >1100 pages of 1Q84 and was hugely disappointed by the direction it took after the first volume. Overall a gross, unstylish, and more or less pointless read. (I am prepared to rant about it in more detail if anyone's curious.)

e: I know other people in this thread say not to start Murakami with 1Q84. The choice was made for me, unfortunately. It was a Christmas gift.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 27, 2017

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

at the date posted:

(I am prepared to rant about it in more detail if anyone's curious.)

Please do, the only Murakamis I've read are South of the Border, West of the Sun and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and they were okay, but also pretty much identical.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah do, I've only read the norwegian wood, and it was laughably terrible

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

1Q84's the only Murakami of any value. All his books are the same mess, but 1Q84 is the only one that's gigantic, so there's an amount of fun to be had in tackling it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I read Kafka by the Shore and finished convinced that I'd never read another Murakami

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
As someone who has never read a Murakami book but gets them recommended constantly: what’s bad about them? Why are they so popular as middle-tier literature?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Heath posted:

As someone who has never read a Murakami book but gets them recommended constantly: what’s bad about them? Why are they so popular as middle-tier literature?

they've got elements of magical realism, are written by a foreigner, make frequent allusions to classical/jazz/pop music, and have plots that are straightforward to follow but do not wrap up neatly, aka book club catnip.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I got a load of Paul muldoon poems for Christmas, some of my Irish friends roll their eyes at him and Derek Mahon and Seamus Heaney though. Perhaps too old-hat, male and self-serious? I dunno, is there something I should watch out for

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

I read Kafka by the Shore and finished convinced that I'd never read another Murakami

thats the one with the autistic man who psychically bonds with cats or something, yeah?

J_RBG posted:

I dunno, is there something I should watch out for

the Irish

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thats the one with the autistic man who psychically bonds with cats or something, yeah?

yes, but also turn your monitor on

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
She thought of Ayumi Nakano, the lonely policewoman who, one August night, wound up in a hotel room in Shibuya, handcuffed, strangled with a bathrobe belt. A troubled young woman walking toward the abyss of destruction. She had had beautiful breasts as well. Aomame mourned the deaths of these two friends deeply. It saddened her to think that these women were forever gone from the world. And she mourned their lovely breasts—breasts that had vanished without a trace.

Murakami is garbage

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Murakamis Underground is very good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Murakami's okay but the people who love him are usually the ones who would never read a more interesting Japanese author, like Akutagawa.

Kafka on the Shore reads like Pynchon juvenalia. It's not a good book but there are some funny bits.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

isn’t 1Q84 the one where the solution to some problem is to have psychic sex with a 14 year old

if so, well thread title on fleek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Akutagawa owns and is better than either Soseki or Mishima imo.