Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, i thought that he figured out how to make clones to use as new bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the real reason is that naruto has to be an absentee father because otherwise kishi's story about absentee fathers wouldn't work. it's a really important subject to him.

Parenthood is not one of the six paths, it seems.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the real reason is that naruto has to be an absentee father because otherwise kishi's story about absentee fathers wouldn't work. it's a really important subject to him.

It's super good also imo :shobon:

I'm really enjoying the similarities and the differences between Boruto's life growing up and Naruto's. I like that he has a bunch of friends and that we get to see them all doing stuff and seeing how they were raised by their parents. Also glad we're getting plenty of Shika action, I always liked his dad in Naruto and was glad he got more screentime as the series progressed.

Also I guess Boruto has much more immediately obvious natural talent than his dad so I'm curious about that but hoping they give him some kind of obstacles.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think, on top of it being a good set up for the story, you gotta consider that Naruto can't possibly be a 9am to 9pm Ninja President *and* a 24/7 father. Shadow Clones aren't infinite stamina, and both roles are a massive burden. He's already shown to be constantly burnt out with being Hokage, which is the job he has to do, so i'm guessing it's more of a failing to find the right balance of sending out clones to spread himself all the time, and not being able to afford messing up with clones in the office.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

also, i thought that he figured out how to make clones to use as new bodies?

He did that. But according to Kishi he eventually discovered absolute Immortality and will outlive everyone else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think, on top of it being a good set up for the story, you gotta consider that Naruto can't possibly be a 9am to 9pm Ninja President *and* a 24/7 father. Shadow Clones aren't infinite stamina, and both roles are a massive burden. He's already shown to be constantly burnt out with being Hokage, which is the job he has to do, so i'm guessing it's more of a failing to find the right balance of sending out clones to spread himself all the time, and not being able to afford messing up with clones in the office.

he can be in far more than two places at once, so why couldn't he be in exactly two?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not true. He is stated as having reestablished his Sound Ninja Village as a legitimate one. And has been free to go were he wants when he wants. A leaf Ninja however is almost always spying on his lab or him

I appreciate how Yamato has degraded over the course of the series from feared super-genetically modified Black OPs dude, to being forced to stare at Orochimaru's front door for the rest of his life.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

he can be in far more than two places at once, so why couldn't he be in exactly two?

He probably is all over the village, and possibly outside too, at all times.

The story would make more sense if they showed him do a lot more stuff with his clones at any given time, including taking on dangerous missions by sending a clone or two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc the boruto movie shows his clones all over the village doing random stuff like carrying groceries and holding talk show interviews.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
i dont think ive ever watched more than 20 minutes of naruto and i barely know the characters but i saw this screenshot and laughed uncontrollably for a minute

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

naruto also has a hosed up keyboard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

i dont think ive ever watched more than 20 minutes of naruto and i barely know the characters but i saw this screenshot and laughed uncontrollably for a minute

I just watched an episode where a bunch of dudes are talking about how cool Naruto is and then his son tells them that Naruto caught trapped under one of those stacks of paper when it fell once. Extremely good imo.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

It's super good also imo :shobon:

I'm really enjoying the similarities and the differences between Boruto's life growing up and Naruto's. I like that he has a bunch of friends and that we get to see them all doing stuff and seeing how they were raised by their parents. Also glad we're getting plenty of Shika action, I always liked his dad in Naruto and was glad he got more screentime as the series progressed.

Also I guess Boruto has much more immediately obvious natural talent than his dad so I'm curious about that but hoping they give him some kind of obstacles.

Well so far his biggest obstacle seems to be himself. He's naturally talented but just doesn't care and has 0 drive or ambition. Kakashi calls him out on it in the latest episode, saying that while he may already be at Chonin level, he's still just kind of a listless rear end in a top hat. He asks why he even wants to be a ninja and Boruto just...doesn't have an answer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My favorite is Naruto trying not to lose it in front of the children when Suigetsu says the DNA tests came out positive for Sasuke cheating on his wife.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My favorite is Naruto trying not to lose it in front of the children when Suigetsu says the DNA tests came out positive for Sasuke cheating on his wife.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Flytrap posted:

Well so far his biggest obstacle seems to be himself. He's naturally talented but just doesn't care and has 0 drive or ambition. Kakashi calls him out on it in the latest episode, saying that while he may already be at Chonin level, he's still just kind of a listless rear end in a top hat. He asks why he even wants to be a ninja and Boruto just...doesn't have an answer.

Which I think works both to contrast him with Naruto, who had an extremely rock solid answer for that question, and the current society. Ninja are as unnecessary as they've ever been, sure they still go out and fight bandits and such but in this time of peace between all nations a lot of the pressure to have a force of Ninja should war break out has fallen to the wayside and so now people who would be pushed into it for natural talent are being left to their own devices.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just finished binge watching this and overall I love it. It strongly feels like early Naruto in terms of cheerfulness, but still manages to feel unique. By far though my favorite thing is how the show doesn't trivialize the adults. They are massive badasses and the show doesn't make up dumb excuses for the kids to save the day. That worked in Naruto because they didn't have parents, they just had a single badass, Kakashi, with them and it was a dangerous time and poo poo.

Chocho is a fun character but that find my real dad poo poo was the god drat worst.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i hope someday chouchou gets some real poo poo to do character-wise, though in the meantime her near-boundless confidence/self-importance is good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Chocho is a fun character but that find my real dad poo poo was the god drat worst.
poo poo, I loved it. It's a great callback to one of his best moments in the manga. It perfectly explains why she wouldn't recognize him and it also shows that when his daughter was sick he went all out for her.

One of the things I like about Boruto is that the setting doesn't instantly show the kids as knowing their parents are bad asses. Like they've heard all the talk and have grown numb to it, but moments in the gaiden show them opening their eyes.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The latest chapter of Boruto has what may be the best panel of its entire run.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The most stealthy of all ninja weapons.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought Ao got fuckin nuked???? What the hell is going on?

Did he survive? I don't remember seeing him again after Ten Tails nuked the base.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 23, 2017

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah he got nuked hard, and doesn't show up again in Naruto. Then they brought him back, vader style with robot limbs, in the Boruto manga as a low ranking member of not-Akatsuki.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sounds like the manga is in a far different place than the anime. That said, I was literally just watching Supereyepatchwolf's video on why you should watch/read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable and checking this thread makes me realize the Boruto anime is working for a lot of the same reasons Diamond is Unbreakable is such a good part of Jojos; that it tells a more intimate, personnel story that is, so far at least, concentrating more on establishing the setting and every day lives of a bunch of kids who interact in more simple and silly but believably childish ways than the protagonists of the previous show tended to do and that doing so allows them to act in more distinctive ways while building up a peaceful life you don't want endangered in some way.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The manga started with a retelling of the Boruto movie storyline, which covers him participating in the chunin exams. The anime starts while he and his friends are still in the academy, even before the Sarada gaiden, and just reached the part where they form their 3 man genin squads.

Presumably the anime will catch up to what the manga is doing (maybe retelling the movie story as well?), and might start adapting the manga storyline directly. I would prefer that it stays somewhat separate because honestly the anime has been way better than the manga so far.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I sincerely hope that the anime never even touches the manga, it is an actual garbage fire of preteen girls in hooker boots.

I'm not even sure what the manga is doing right now. Like it just brought in Sumire as a character, but it doesn't have any build up as to who she actually is or why anyone cares about her. It also removes her from being a ninja and has her take up her psychotic fathers job of weapons development and gently caress that noise, Team 15 for life.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Flytrap posted:

I sincerely hope that the anime never even touches the manga, it is an actual garbage fire of preteen girls in hooker boots.

I'm not even sure what the manga is doing right now. Like it just brought in Sumire as a character, but it doesn't have any build up as to who she actually is or why anyone cares about her. It also removes her from being a ninja and has her take up her psychotic fathers job of weapons development and gently caress that noise, Team 15 for life.

I'm honestly not sure how the anime can even get to the situation from the movie, anime Boruto and movie/manga Boruto are like two fundamentally different characters at this point.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm honestly not sure how the anime can even get to the situation from the movie, anime Boruto and movie/manga Boruto are like two fundamentally different characters at this point.

guess what we're about to find out!

the next arc is the movie

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

OH man, the suspense is killing me. What could his power possibly be?!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

guess what we're about to find out!

the next arc is the movie

It's adapting the Mitsuki manga next. They did a fine job adapting the Sarada spinoff so hell, I'm looking forward to it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Got caught up after sort of waffling after the Sumire arc finished up, but the anime really does deliver pretty well. Best episode for me was the Inojin one, I'm a total sucker for seeing the cast as happily married. Sai has been very well represented in this, it's like someone actually thought about the character.

The manga on the other hand, the writing is simply weaker than the anime with broadly less appealing and less thought out characterization. But the artist is bad, and frankly, a bad person. Seeing it adapted is going to be better, I think.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
How did Sai ever play out? I saw his intro episodes and pushed into the team with Naruto and Sakura and felt like, at the time, they were trying to push in Poochie. I'm all caught up in Boruto and he has a pretty happy relationship with Ino and a happy child too, but I have no idea what his role was in the original series. From when I stopped, Shikamaru and Temari was legitimately the only couple with legitimate rapport since they had a thing going all the way back in the original exams.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sai's role was basically similar to Gaara's except less interesting. He's there to show Naruto is a good influence on people since this emotionless child weapon became a better person thanks to interacting with him.

He never does anything and he and Ino never really talk but I kinda liked him. I'm glad Ino got to marry a hot boy like she always dreamed and one that's cooler and a much better husband than Sasuke.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sai's role was basically similar to Gaara's except less interesting. He's there to show Naruto is a good influence on people since this emotionless child weapon became a better person thanks to interacting with him.

He never does anything and he and Ino never really talk but I kinda liked him. I'm glad Ino got to marry a hot boy like she always dreamed and one that's cooler and a much better husband than Sasuke.
Thankfully we'll get the Naruto/Sakura ship we never wanted via proxy of their children. Unless Boruto and Mitsuki develop a relationship.

Boruto is so much better than his father at his age though, he pulls off the cool "I want to be friends with everything" without going through Naruto's awful teenage phase.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sai's existence was mainly so that there was a former inside member of Root to explain all the weird poo poo that Danzo had done. He got some good character development in the 4th great war when he fights his step brother, though. He never truly became the team 7 replacement, especially since the penultimate final battle ended up being the original team 7 versus Kaguya.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
As for the meta reason Sai existed, according to interviews Kishi thought he needed a new 'cool guy' archetype to replace Sasuke. When it turned out that literally nobody could muster a poo poo to give about Sai, he just kinda...stopped mattering.

My favorite pre-Boruto moment with Sai is near the end of the war arc when Sasuke comes back and Naruto claims that aw yeah, Team 7 is back baby. And then Sai flies in going 'hey guys you know I'm part of the team too' and then IMMEDIATELY gets bitched out of the fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sai and Ino getting together is hillarious simply because through Naruto when Sai was learning about emotional connections and talking like a normal person, Ino was always the one who was around when Sai got his words right. While Sakura always got dumped on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexo posted:

Sai and Ino getting together is hillarious simply because through Naruto when Sai was learning about emotional connections and talking like a normal person, Ino was always the one who was around when Sai got his words right. While Sakura always got dumped on.

Ino being charmed by what is effectively flirting RNG is pretty funny

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even so, Sai still ended up being a better husband/father than Sasuke ever was so I think Ino wound up coming out ahead in that regard (of course, if your main competition is Sakura that's not exactly a high bar to clear).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Thankfully we'll get the Naruto/Sakura ship we never wanted via proxy of their children. Unless Boruto and Mitsuki develop a relationship.

Boruto is so much better than his father at his age though, he pulls off the cool "I want to be friends with everything" without going through Naruto's awful teenage phase.

oddly enough, naruto's motivation was never becoming friends with everyone. he had some really weird hangups about friendship, and despite being much closer to many of his other peers he fixated on his one true friend (who he never really spent much time with and didn't like him very much). instead, his primary motivation was gaining recognition and respect from a town where everyone without a name and face hated his guts. it worked, even. naruto's really popular among the nameless, faceless crowd now.