Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FPzero posted:

Congratulations to Simon on his new lucrative career as a Health Bar Voice Actor.
Never wanted to be a Professor of Chemistry anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Really appreciate the 8-bit FFMQ music.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Never wanted to be a Professor of Chemistry anyway...

I'm sure that no one would expect you to defend a doctoral thesis by humming the first few bars of the Mega Man 2 robot master theme and then filling the health meter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm Crow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No you're not :redhammer:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Really appreciate the 8-bit FFMQ music.

That final boss music is probably one of the best tracks in FF:MQ, and one of my personal favorites. I think it was well chosen for a fight with Wily.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Would it be cool if I posted Final Fantasy VII: New Threat? It's not technically a romhack but it's in the same vein.

Edit: It's a gameplay mod that changes items, enemies, even whole events. It intensifies the challenge.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 14, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DoubleCakes posted:

Would it be cool if I posted Final Fantasy VII: New Threat? It's not technically a romhack but it's in the same vein.

What is it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DoubleCakes posted:

Edit: It's a gameplay mod that changes items, enemies, even whole events. It intensifies the challenge.

While I might not have any other LPs planned for this thread at this moment, leading to it looking like it's winding down, I have no problem with people still posting new content in here. Go right ahead!

Though out of curiosity, will it be a full length-LP of the game or more of an overview of its changes in shorter form?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As far as I can tell, New Threat basically does to FF7 what Brave New World did to FF6. An LP of it would be cool.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

FPzero posted:

While I might not have any other LPs planned for this thread at this moment, leading to it looking like it's winding down, I have no problem with people still posting new content in here. Go right ahead!

Though out of curiosity, will it be a full length-LP of the game or more of an overview of its changes in shorter form?

That's a good question, I'll likely record everything from start to finish because the mod changes everything up to random encounters. I'm starting to wonder if my own thread would just be better.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
As someone who reads this thread, I would enjoy more content of this type.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Today we're heading for Krazy Kremland, which means it's time for our introduction of...Phazon Bees? Yeah, sure, whatever, let's go with that.

Part 5 - Krazy Kremland (Part 1)
Part 6 - Krazy Kremland (Part 2)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

None of that looked fun. I mean, I laughed, but I'm sure I wouldn't be laughing if i was playing. Lying with the bananas is unforgivable.

At least the names are still alliterative.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love hearing Artix cuss, and it makes his Fire Emblem LP's so much better(Hector Hard Mode, anyone?). I could almost feel his blood pressure rising through my screen.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, those blind jumps don't look like any fun at all.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Are there any "slightly more difficult" romhacks out there, like just an expansion to the original game? That's what they always say they're going for and then you end up with... whatever the gently caress that was.

I really like Metroid Legacy for this exact reason.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i want to commend the mod author for the brutal ownage at ~18:10

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

magikid posted:

Are there any "slightly more difficult" romhacks out there, like just an expansion to the original game? That's what they always say they're going for and then you end up with... whatever the gently caress that was.

Funny enough that you should ask that. Just a few days ago Super Mario Land 2 DX got released. It's a romhack that basically colorized the original game and added a couple new things like the ability to play as Luigi with different physics.
I don't know if it's any more difficult than the base game but with the way I play things I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

magikid posted:

My scale for "slightly more difficult" is almost certainly blown way out, and I would bet these are harder than you'd like, but I dimly recall them not being rear end in a top hat levels of challenge. Metroid Phazon, Super Metroid: Stardust, Super Metroid: Pantheon. Of these, I'm pretty sure that Stardust is the easiest, but it's also short.

You might also check out Digital Cube. I completely forget how hard it is, but I do remember it was a pretty neat concept.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My criteria for Metroid hacks is if you have to use tricks to progress than you're no good.

gently caress your required infinite bomb jumps. And walljumps as well. :argh: Learn proper platforming.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Requiring infinite bomb jumps is definitely dumb. Wall-jumps...ehhh, if they tutorialize it and don't ask TOO much of the player, I don't see it being a big issue. What's frustrating is that several Super Metroid hacks change the physics in some way to make wall-jumping harder, and then ask you to do even trickier setups under the new, tougher rules, or do poo poo like ask you to do suitless underwater walljumping. That's just bullshit.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Walljumping in Super Metroid is already one of my least favorite movement mechanics in any video game ever so I'd love to see how people make doing that even harder

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My criteria for Metroid hacks is if you have to use tricks to progress than you're no good.

gently caress your required infinite bomb jumps. And walljumps as well. :argh: Learn proper platforming.

That's why I didn't like the original version of Metroid Redesign. It had that sequence where you had to run fast, jump, then turn into a Morph Ball as you land so that you're rolling at hyper speeds, something not possible unless you exploit a glitch. If I have to exploit a tricky glitch in order to progress your mod then I'm very uninterested. Granted, this was years ago and I might be misremembering something.

Anyways, I finally did launch my Let's Play for New Threat, the gameplay mod for Final Fantasy VII. Now's a real good time to check it out and even get caught up because I am going to take a break while I'm on holidays. One of the videos takes the player through the tutorial room and explains a lot of things different about the mod. So far it's been a bigger improvement than Brave New World was to FF6.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Walljumping in Super Metroid is already one of my least favorite movement mechanics in any video game ever so I'd love to see how people make doing that even harder

In my experience this is generally done by increasing gravity and in particular by increasing Samus' aerial acceleration. You walljump in Super Metroid by pressing away from a wall when you're within a certain number of pixels of the wall, and then pressing jump. It's a pretty small window, so anything you do to make that window smaller makes it harder to jump. Plus of course you're screwing with a timing that the audience you're targeting has baked into their muscle memory.

Speaking as a member of said target audience, it's a good eye-opener for me to hear about what other people think is a reasonable amount of acrobatics for the game to demand of the player. During the Eris 2012 LP, someone mentioned not even wanting to do a jump into midair morph (to get into a morphball passage that wasn't at ground level), which I considered basically second nature at that point. My perspective is clearly badly out of line with that of the average Metroid fan.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Color Printer posted:

The worst part is that it's incredibly difficult to convey just how bad it is. I'm fairly comfortable with wall-jumping in Super Metroid, and I enjoy exploiting the weird movement mechanics of the game, but even then I don't think a hack should reasonably ask for more than a single walljump at a time just as a small movement challenge, but it seems like a large number of romhacks go out of their way to poo poo out the worst movement challenges possible. Super Metroid Redesign not only locks the (required!) walljump behind an item, but it also only works on certain surfaces, some of which are partially hidden or not well-telegraphed, and it's almost impossible to perform because the physics have been changed. Jumps have most of their 'floatiness' removed in Redesign, so you pop up into the air very fast and then plummet downward just as quickly, and you don't have much horizontal mobility in the air. So now you need to take this required item that only works on certain surfaces and perform walljumps that are harder than before because the window for doing the inputs has been reduced to only a few frames, and in some cases you need to flawlessly execute several of them in a row to get up vertical shafts multiple map tiles tall. It's a bit poo poo.

At least one other hack I've played requires the player to do suitless underwater walljumping, a trick so difficult that almost nobody can perform it reliably even among people who speedrun the game in ways that might benefit from doing so.

And, yeah. It's insane trying to convey just how utterly nonsense some of these hacks are if Super Metroid movement tricks are second nature to you, because many of them are literally impossible to beat without being able to do things like mockball or repeated walljumps.

And to clarify, 'mockball' is a truncation of 'mock speedball', where speedball is when you have the blue glowing effect from the speed booster run but you do a mid-air morph into the morphball while landing within a two or three frame window which allows you to keep moving at your running speed, and 'mockball' is a generic term for doing the speedball trick for extra speed but without having the blue effect of the speed booster. In short, speedrunners should never be allowed to name anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

And to clarify, 'mockball' is a truncation of 'mock speedball', where speedball is when you have the blue glowing effect from the speed booster run but you do a mid-air morph into the morphball while landing within a two or three frame window which allows you to keep moving at your running speed, and 'mockball' is a generic term for doing the speedball trick for extra speed but without having the blue effect of the speed booster. In short, speedrunners should never be allowed to name anything.

Well, what would you call it? Naming things is hard. Not that I disagree with you on names, but mockball is a hell of a lot better than full halfie.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as a member of said target audience, it's a good eye-opener for me to hear about what other people think is a reasonable amount of acrobatics for the game to demand of the player. During the Eris 2012 LP, someone mentioned not even wanting to do a jump into midair morph (to get into a morphball passage that wasn't at ground level), which I considered basically second nature at that point. My perspective is clearly badly out of line with that of the average Metroid fan.
I could've sworn one of the GBA games demanded a mid-air morph at some point? Never mind all the crazy shinespark shenanigans.

My baseline is basically if Zero Mission or Fusion asks you to do it it's fine. I'm not much a fan of required mockball or any underwater suitless sections or stuff like that. Meanwhile my only problem with the Super Metroid hacks I've played that demand wall jumps is that I'm really bad at them, and they tend to ask you to do a -lot- of them when they do. I played way too much Zero Mission and am so used to its physics and controls that Super Metroid feels really floaty and alien to me. Admittedly Redesign felt so bad to me to maneuver in I never even got to a part where I had to wall jump.

I think I've mentioned it before (Since I'm real bad at Mario) but it's really hard to find hacks that are even just a little bit harder since the kind of people who make hacks have dumped so much time into the original games they're just naturally used to it and are going to develop stuff that's way harder. Even some of the easier SMW hacks end up with their baseline basically being about what I'd expect out of the Special World in the original.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tyty posted:

I think I've mentioned it before (Since I'm real bad at Mario) but it's really hard to find hacks that are even just a little bit harder since the kind of people who make hacks have dumped so much time into the original games they're just naturally used to it and are going to develop stuff that's way harder. Even some of the easier SMW hacks end up with their baseline basically being about what I'd expect out of the Special World in the original.

The stories we could tell as we playtest SMWCP2...

:suicide:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thought it was 'machball'. Makes more sense to me.

As far as walljump, I cannot pull it off to save my life, and falling into the ectoon pit in Super Metroid is a deathtrap for me. I like it in Samus Returns though; they included it as a nod to SM, it's not required (though it lets you do a couple of collectables early befor ehighjump), but rather than needing to push away from the wall within a couple of frames or anything you just keep pushing into the wall. Spinjump into the wall, hit jump again, and you bounce off it. That's much easier for mobility, and if romhacks are gonna include it as required they should do it that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tyty posted:

I could've sworn one of the GBA games demanded a mid-air morph at some point? Never mind all the crazy shinespark shenanigans.

Both GBA games give you the ability to mantle up into morphball passages, so I don't think you ever need to do a midair morph. And while they get a lot more creative with the shinespark, the timing required is nowhere near as strict as Super Metroid walljumping or mockballing.

...let alone Super Metroid horizontal shinesparking. I don't know what the devs were thinking with that one, it's ludicrously precise.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also the speedball or general shinespark tricks in the GBA games are all just for goodies, not for plot. The trick is never documented or explained but once you know you can store shinesparks by ramming into inclines the window to do is pretty generous.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...let alone Super Metroid horizontal shinesparking. I don't know what the devs were thinking with that one, it's ludicrously precise.

Midair horizontal shinesparking in SM requires a combination of button presses that I can do but could not even begin to explain to someone how to pull off.

I only learned how to do most of the speed tricks in SM because hacks around 2010 and earlier often required them. Many of the better hacks post-2010 don't require stuff like mockball or anything to complete the game, though some may require them for 100%. The main reason I can't recommend many of them though is simply because a lot of them are way higher on the difficulty scale than the original and saving is not always super frequent or convenient in hacks.

Personally, my SM hacking attempts followed the same difficulty philosophy I had with my Mario hacks, in that they should be made so the player doesn't even need to have played the original game to understand them. That said, I barely consider mid-air morph to be a trick at all but I can understand where people come from saying it is one. As for walljumps, I've yet to make anything that requires them but I've left opportunities for players who know how to walljump to save time in certain rooms. If I ever make it far enough with my primary SM hack, I'd like to make a secret path through at least part of the game that allows you to skip Bombs for a while and get some things early. I don't know where exactly I'll go with this, but I've built a bit of the framework into a few rooms so far.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I tend to get myself in trouble walljumping too much in hacks and wasting tons of time looking for nonexistent secrets that way. And yet I loving hate Super Metroid Rotation.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Rotation sounds nigh-unplayable. I haven't been bothered to give it a shot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

It is fantastic to watch a really high-level player do once or twice but far too difficult for me to ever do myself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If you can wall jump at all it isn't too bad. There are some extra platforms here and there too help you IIRC. Getting into the first door from the ship was the only real frustrating part for me.

The biggest thing that tripped me up in Rotation is that, though item locations are the same, you have to take a different route through the game and get things in a different order because of different lava/water levels in certain rooms and whatnot. It's pretty neat but I didn't really pick up the game again after having that revelation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

If you can wall jump at all it isn't too bad. There are some extra platforms here and there too help you IIRC. Getting into the first door from the ship was the only real frustrating part for me.

The biggest thing that tripped me up in Rotation is that, though item locations are the same, you have to take a different route through the game and get things in a different order because of different lava/water levels in certain rooms and whatnot. It's pretty neat but I didn't really pick up the game again after having that revelation.

There's a bunch of side passages are that giant pain in the rear end to get out of, like the map room in the start of the game. This may have changed since the ancient version I played.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I watched someone play Rotation and it really messed me up for a while. Like it rotated my brain and it felt like everything was sideways. Can't imagine what actually playing it would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

magikid posted:

I watched someone play Rotation and it really messed me up for a while. Like it rotated my brain and it felt like everything was sideways. Can't imagine what actually playing it would do.

Make your hand sore from walljumping so much.

• Locked thread