Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got a proper cast-iron dutch oven.

Gonna kick the tires on it tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's a game changer, no lie.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Got one o them walnut handle lams but no photo. Instead have thyme pull apart rolls:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Fun fact: if you use Hawaiian Black Sea Salt in your bread instead of normal sea salt your bread turns very slightly grayish-blue

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kenshin posted:

Fun fact: if you use Hawaiian Black Sea Salt in your bread instead of normal sea salt your bread turns very slightly grayish-blue

Got pics?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

First loaf in the dutch oven done:

I also got a lame as well, which works so much better than the knife I was using.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

iospace posted:

First loaf in the dutch oven done:

I also got a lame as well, which works so much better than the knife I was using.

Looks good, but very blonde. How long did you let it bake after you took the lid off?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kenshin posted:

Looks good, but very blonde. How long did you let it bake after you took the lid off?

I did 30 minutes lid on, 15 minutes off, and it was registering over 200 on the thermometer after that 15.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

iospace posted:

I did 30 minutes lid on, 15 minutes off, and it was registering over 200 on the thermometer after that 15.
Ok. For sure try leaving it in a bit longer next time until it's a bit more of a golden-brown than golden-blonde as more flavors will develop, but that is a great looking loaf with good crumb and I bet it tasted awesome.

Content: here's one of the two loafs I baked for my family on Saturday during our holiday festivities (baking day with my mom and sisters!)

iospace posted:

Got pics?
That's the loaf, I didn't take any pictures of the interior where it's more obvious but you can sorta see a funny-colored spot to the left of the center of the loaf, that's what the black salt does

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried making some traditional rye bread, it's not proper rye bread, only like 40% rye, then it's wheat and some bran. But this is what my grandmothers on both sides of the family made and my mom makes it, and now I am trying my hand at it.

I remember my grandmother made hers in the woodfired stove they had in the kitchen. The best part was the tiny round breads that were the leftovers from the hole punched in the middle, soo good fresh out of the oven. I only made the traditional shape on few of them, I was a bit in a hurry and made smaller mostly smaller oddly shaped bread.

Don't really have a recipe, maybe a liter of 50/50 milk and water that I added salt and yeast to, then adding flour until it seemed the right consistency, still a sticky mess. Rise for an hour after initial kneading, then after the bread it shaped it rises for another hour under cover. Only need like 10 minutes at 250C or even less.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
So I had mixed a poolish in the 23rd, (500g flour, 500g water, scant 1/8tsp yeast), then my wife went into labor at 5am the next day. We're home now and made it through night 1 with baby.

Before I throw out this mix, should I/could I take some out and start a sourdough culture? How much? Or is it trash?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

always be closing posted:

So I had mixed a poolish in the 23rd, (500g flour, 500g water, scant 1/8tsp yeast), then my wife went into labor at 5am the next day. We're home now and made it through night 1 with baby.

Before I throw out this mix, should I/could I take some out and start a sourdough culture? How much? Or is it trash?

You added yeast, so not sure about sourdough culture per se, but it should be perfectly fine to mix into fresh dough below 40% or so.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh really? I've been out the game a little while, help me out, what do I add to it and how long do I let it ride?

e- and if it smells a little alcoholic, thats ok right?

always be closing fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, question. I'm looking to get a proper rising basket now. What size and brand should I look at? My usual loaf is slightly over a kilogram in terms of mass.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

So, question. I'm looking to get a proper rising basket now. What size and brand should I look at? My usual loaf is slightly over a kilogram in terms of mass.

They're all the same. Get a banneton in the shape you want; batard is my favorite, but some people like boules or baguettes more (although 1kg is definitely more than just one baguette). Make sure to get one with a linen liner.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I have one made out of wood fibre and I use a linen liner, it's lasted me years. It doesn't made any pretty patterns on the loaf so if that's important to you, you should get get cane banneton. It's not super important what you get, I don't think, but trying to banneton without a liner is playing with fire.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I have one made out of wood fibre and I use a linen liner, it's lasted me years. It doesn't made any pretty patterns on the loaf so if that's important to you, you should get get cane banneton. It's not super important what you get, I don't think, but trying to banneton without a liner is playing with fire.

I mean... if you don't use a liner at all, your dough will just fall through. I mentioned linen specifically because cotton sucks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ahh poo poo I just got two cottons to replace a bad liner.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I mean... if you don't use a liner at all, your dough will just fall through. I mentioned linen specifically because cotton sucks.

Wat? You can easily use a banneton without a liner, just coat it well with a 50/50 mix of AP and rice flour before you drop in the dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It tends to stick if you do overnights in miy experience

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I was mostly replying to the idea that the dough will fall through the banneton without a liner, but I'm sure if you did 100% rice flour for an overnight ferment you'd have no problems with sticking. I mean, a liner can make life easier and you should definitely use one if you want to, but it's nowhere near a requirement in my experience.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It tends to stick if you do overnights in miy experience

I do overnight proofs in unlined bannetons all the time.
Even with just regular flour I've never had a problem with dough sticking to them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe my bannetons are unusually widely spaced or something but I'm pretty sure that dough would fall through in an hour or two if I had no liner in there :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been using a large ceramic bowl for mine. It works for now but it can stick if I'm not careful.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Might as well mention that there's really no point in using a banneton for the bulk fermentation, only the final proof. Shaping it for bulk won't do you any good, you just want to make sure there's tension on the dough. I use a lightly oiled cambro for bulk, but anything the right size will work.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

ahh poo poo I just got two cottons to replace a bad liner.

It'll still work, just won't be quite as nice of a texture. Don't sweat it too much, like everything else about bread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been using an 8 cup measuring cup for the purposes of bulk fermentation. Works wonderfully. I was indeed talking about the final proof.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

One of my liners was just terrible. It ended up getting so stiff that it'd mess with the dough's release. I'm hoping it was more how it was seamed, it didn't have a center piece, instead stitched like a banana peel or beach ball (if that makes sense.) I wasn't able to find out what type of liner I have, which works well, so I just ordered from breadtopia and turns out those are cotton. I'm not sure if the terrible stiffy one was cotton as well.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
The flour/rice flour trick does work but I hate what rice flour does to my crusts, makes them gritty. Only slightly but it's enough to bug me.

Also I switched from dusting with AP to dusting with bread flour because, I reasoned, AP turns to mush at lower hydration than bread flour, so surely bread flour will be more resistant to sticking. I haven't tested this rigorously but I never have any problems with sticking now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Maybe my bannetons are unusually widely spaced or something but I'm pretty sure that dough would fall through in an hour or two if I had no liner in there :shrug:

Do you typically make 80%+ hydration doughs or something? Even then, I can't see dough ever "falling through", theres just no way unless you're talking like pure water.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My banneton is pretty tight, the dough would have to be seriously gloopy to squeeze through a gap.

Also, if I am doing more than one loaf I just stick a liner in a plastic bowl about the right size

Works fine.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How do you store your bannetons? If I just put them on a rack in the basement will bugs find the flour and what not?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So my parents got a kitchen aid stand mixer for xmas and I want to show them how they can make awesome bread. I make no knead bread at home, but I don't have a good standard bread recipe. I'd like to make either a standard white bread or even better a multigrain bread. I'm looking for a bread with a softer crust because my dad can't really chew hard crust anymore. I have found a few recipes on the internet, but I trust GWS more than a random recipe on the internet.

So if anyone can guide me toward a soft crusted white or multigrain bread recipe that can be made in a kitchen aid stand mixer I'd be really happy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

So my parents got a kitchen aid stand mixer for xmas and I want to show them how they can make awesome bread. I make no knead bread at home, but I don't have a good standard bread recipe. I'd like to make either a standard white bread or even better a multigrain bread. I'm looking for a bread with a softer crust because my dad can't really chew hard crust anymore. I have found a few recipes on the internet, but I trust GWS more than a random recipe on the internet.

So if anyone can guide me toward a soft crusted white or multigrain bread recipe that can be made in a kitchen aid stand mixer I'd be really happy.

Pain de Mie is a good choice. It's basically what white bread loaves are trying to emulate. Shokopan might be another good option. Using some dough enhancer is a good idea too, that gives you a softer crust and spongier crumb, more like commercial bread. You might also want to consider a pullman pan - they tend to produce much thinner, softer crusts. Cool with a tea towel draped over it if you still don't quite have the right texture. Another tip is to store it in a plastic bag overnight after it cools completely, but only if the crust isn't soft enough after trying everything else. If the crust is good, store it in an unglazed ceramic bread box, or a wooden one. If that isn't an option, a burlap sack works well. If you don't have one of those, try a few tea towels wrapped around the loaf.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have two Dutch ovens, a round and an oval. I have one replacement steel knob that can take higher temperatures. Which shape should get it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mine* is really easy to install / switch between. Isn't yours?

If not, the one you use most often yeah?

* I don't have a steel one, I just take off the stock handle when I go above 350°F.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't used either one for bread because I haven't had the new knob until now! I'd just like to put the new knob on whichever shape is better for bread, so that's my question.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oval for batards but it's just preference.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

You can't ask a man to choose between boule and batard. That's unconscionable.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I'd say go with the round one, since you probably have a bowl that will work as a banneton for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anne Whateley posted:

I haven't used either one for bread because I haven't had the new knob until now! I'd just like to put the new knob on whichever shape is better for bread, so that's my question.

Yes.