Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Happy Christmas to you and your birbs, bird thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/Jun_toribaka/status/944938569725984768

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Marry Christmas

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

1500 posted:

Marry Christmas

:swoon:

happy christmas birdfriends!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500 posted:

Marry Christmas

I'm dead from :3: :3: :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My hubby intuits that Shamrocks are inbred? Or they're a massive cross between breeds? Are they fertile?

Basically he's having trouble thinking up where those colors come from in a macaw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I woke up Mr. Fedor this morning, who was standing near his food. He then held up a bell that had been ripped from a toy.

That has been today’s theme and I approve :3:. Getting yelled at baby a baby bird with a new toy.

Nov 3, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

My hubby intuits that Shamrocks are inbred? Or they're a massive cross between breeds? Are they fertile?

Basically he's having trouble thinking up where those colors come from in a macaw

They are not inbred. They are a new species that is created by mating two different species of macaws together. The different macaws are actually different species, there are 6 classifications of macaws, that contain 19 different species. The common large macaws (blue-gold, green wing, scarlet...) are classified as genus Ara. A breed is what happens when you selectively mate within a species to create specific traits, as such hybrid macaws are not a breed (there are actually no breeds of macaws).

Yes they are fertile, there are 2nd and 3rd generation hybrid macaws (created by mating first and 2nd generation together), you can even create offspring from a hybrid mated with a natural macaw (hybrid macaws to not occur in nature). Hybrids do not have any additional health risks. The one downside is that the temperament of the hybrid is unsure, but is typically a mix of its parents.

Bonny is the offspring of mating a Scarlet macaw (Aracanga, Ara macao) and a Military macaw (Ara militaris). Hybrids do not have a scientific name .

1500 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 26, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why don't they occur in nature?

Nov 3, 2015

underage at the vape shop posted:

Why don't they occur in nature?

I am no expert but I expect it is because of a number of factors. They inhabit different territories and as such do not interact (true for some, but not all), and given the option they would rather mate within their own species.

Real reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtklCwreq8Y

As conures are very common in this thread I looked up hybrid ones.

1500 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 26, 2017

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

Marry Christmas

oh my god

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

1500 posted:

I am no expert but I expect it is because of a number of factors. They inhabit different territories and as such do not interact (true for some, but not all), and given the option they would rather mate within their own species.

Corella x Galah hybrids are seen sometimes n the wild though.

As are Corella x Sulphur-Crested.

Mixed-species cockatoo flocks are common so it is not that surprising to have hybrids. They do seem to vary more in phenotype compared to macaw hybrids, with individuals having more traits of one parent or the other. Most of them are likely not fertile, since corellas, galahs, and other cockatoos are more distantly related to each other than the macaw species.

Rosella hybrids are super common in the wild though it can be hard to differentiate them from color mutations.
Eastern x Crimson Rosellas are stunning.

As are Eastern Rosella x Australian Ringnecks

Lorikeet hybrids are common to the point of displacing the pure species in some areas.

Nov 3, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

As are Corella x Sulphur-Crested.

Mixed-species cockatoo flocks are common so it is not that surprising to have hybrids. They do seem to vary more in phenotype compared to macaw hybrids, with individuals having more traits of one parent or the other. Most of them are likely not fertile, since corellas, galahs, and other cockatoos are more distantly related to each other than the macaw species.

Rosella hybrids are super common in the wild though it can be hard to differentiate them from color mutations.
Eastern x Crimson Rosellas are stunning.

As are Eastern Rosella x Australian Ringnecks

Lorikeet hybrids are common to the point of displacing the pure species in some areas.

Well I was speaking of macaw hybrids. They are not seen in the wild.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

see these guys all the time around my place

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Is that a naked apron Tacobirb

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Is that a naked apron Tacobirb

its an Animal Crossing Taco!

A gift from Everyday Goast

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

its an Animal Crossing Taco!

A gift from Everyday Goast

What a nice Goast!

Crouton and Galbedir got a new sleeping/travel cage for an early Christmas present. The old one was well past its prime and lacked things like a grille to stop nesty birds chewing the paper liner and so on. Also the bottom fell off. The new one is much better and after some initial suspicion is now accepted as a good place to have a nap.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/ayapiyo140/status/944427089054244864

HAT.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Good God if Australia had an immigration policy other than “no” I’d want to come study the birds.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/IUh6laP.mp4

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Parrots may be cute, but pigeons and doves are always so dapper,

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd be dapper too if I had a genetically provided ascot. :saddowns:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We called the vet for an update; she only had a few minutes to talk so couldn't discuss or give solutions but:

-Steve exists
-The vicious one (Inko) hasn't attempted to bite or anything
-The nice one (Ohtori) keeps biting her :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Fancy pigeons are the avian equivalent of a fine gentleman at Versailles, looks wise.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

We called the vet for an update; she only had a few minutes to talk so couldn't discuss or give solutions but:

-Steve exists
-The vicious one (Inko) hasn't attempted to bite or anything
-The nice one (Ohtori) keeps biting her :(

I’m convinced Ohtori is somehow part Poicephalus. It’s in the eyes

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I love how from wikipedia: (Poicephalus, from the Ancient Greek, literally means made of head)

Nov 3, 2015

Bonus Bonny pick, this was my first attempt at getting photos of her in her get up.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sekkira posted:

I love how from wikipedia: (Poicephalus, from the Ancient Greek, literally means made of head)

Charlie’s proportions crack me up because he has a big head and big beak for his size but has a stubby little chicken tail. He’s also bigger than other pois I’ve seen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

1500 posted:

Bonus Bonny pick, this was my first attempt at getting photos of her in her get up.

The size of that pupil makes me nervous.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

i love bonny so much

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

1500 posted:

You know...I almost think she likes it.

The outfit that is, not the camera! :P

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5tkjnNXHBM

honk

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
*accidentally teaches bird to honk*

well now I am never getting any peace & quiet again

*remembers youtube exists, never has to work again*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I subscribe to Alex on Facebook and highly recommend it :3: Between him and Roku and Aminal Memes Made by Birb-Loving Teens, it's a delightful social media experience for me these days.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Fedor the Doofus-Tiel came out of the cage today without any harrassment.

: pets cell phone camera : Soon...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Should I buy a big jar of coconut oil and rub it on my birds at every possible opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Should I buy a big jar of coconut oil and rub it on my birds at every possible opportunity

Wouldn't that just make them slip out of your hands every time you try to hold them, not unlike like greased lightning within the mighty hands of Zeus?

....wait. Actually do that. Video results pls and thank you!