Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vulture had two C3 beams on but that ran insanely hot and even at 4 pips my enhanced cap didn't last long at all.

After a quick trip to Broo, I now have two Grade 5 Efficient C3 beams with Thermal Vent, shoots for ages and as long as you're not blazing away at a chaffing opponent the temperature gauge barely moves :cool: I knew being a hoarder would come in handy with this nearly-full materials store...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Vulture had two C3 beams on but that ran insanely hot and even at 4 pips my enhanced cap didn't last long at all.

After a quick trip to Broo, I now have two Grade 5 Efficient C3 beams with Thermal Vent, shoots for ages and as long as you're not blazing away at a chaffing opponent the temperature gauge barely moves :cool: I knew being a hoarder would come in handy with this nearly-full materials store...

It's been a while since I've used them, but aren't beams quite inefficient when it comes to dealing out hull damage?

Or is their increased damage output more than enough compensation when you can engineer them to the point you can use them constantly?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
PS call me Derek Smart because I totally called it like a year ago:

Breetai posted:

Expected reality: Thargoid invasion consists of being interdicted and having to fight them a bunch, and maybe also a bunch of community goals centered around passenger missions designed to move out the entire populace of a planet that lies in their path.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Breetai posted:

It's been a while since I've used them, but aren't beams quite inefficient when it comes to dealing out hull damage?

Or is their increased damage output more than enough compensation when you can engineer them to the point you can use them constantly?

Seeing as the Vult only has two hardpoints, its either two lasers or a laser and a multi (or two multis with incendiary effect) - I'm not so keen on the spin-up / reload time on the multis and having to go re-stock ammo I can do without - I'll take something that will strip shields super-fast and take a little longer on the hull than picking away at a shielded ship with one laser while it gets a chance to take shots at me.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Plus the Vulture is the perfect ship to stay within maximum beam damage range, which is surprisingly close, so you can still pack a punch against hulls and never have to go restock your ammo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hmm, I noticed an option on the galaxy map to highlight damaged stations, and there's three of them a hop skip and a jump from me. Are these reliably passenger mission whoring zones?

vvv :sad: vvv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 26, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Inspector Hound posted:

Hmm, I noticed an option on the galaxy map to highlight damaged stations, and there's three of them a hop skip and a jump from me. Are these reliably passenger mission whoring zones?

It's not good money

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Breetai posted:

Yeah, it's sad. Stopped playing a long time ago because no matter how nice the flight models and the scenery is the game itself was boring. Came back years later and it still has the same problem. Rescue missions were cool, but they are the only cool thing they have put in the game in 3 years. 3 years to put in a few ships, planetary landing and multi-crew and that's really it. All of it pretty drat boring after using it a few times.

Still don't get why huge sections of the universe are closed off to exploration with "unknown permits" after 3 years. The "They are going to do something cool with it" is just a load of bull.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Raged posted:

It's not good money

They aren't gold rush money but they are ok. There's a federal starport though that has Fed and Imperial transport missions, so it's insanely easy rank gain. You won't get rank up missions, but it will still count.

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand what happened, if the game changed or if I changed, but I took like a two month long trip going spacemad and ever since I came back I have lost every fight I've gotten into, barring the silly shieldless sidey that interdicted my 'conda. I've been trying to bounty hunt in the HazRez for that Core Dynamics CG but I've been getting murdered by things I feel like I should be beating with relative ease. Did they nerf beam lasers maybe?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
With or without VR I'm still enjoying the game. It's one of those games I'll play obsessively for a week or so, then leave it alone for a month or two.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m really gearing myself up in hopes that the Q1 patch, while it won’t change anything fundamental, will really grab me again.

The planet generation changes making exploring less beige will be a huge thing for me, and I’m tentatively thinking the engineers changes will be welcome. I’m hoping the process doesn’t slow down too much so long as there’s a guaranteed result.

The game still has horrible flaws but when you have clear goals like “I want to unlock every engineer and be ready to engineer ship x y and z in the next month or two” it helps a lot for the odd hour here or there and keeping you driven.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ugh, even after nigh-on 900 hours, the sinking feeling when you clip a fed in a res and suddenly see a fast bug-out, system jump and a ten minute wait in your future. Plus point they were so busy in a massive Anaconda pileup that I got out unscathed, minus point this CG is an immersive trek from the primary star.

Watch your targets, commanders.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ugh, even after nigh-on 900 hours, the sinking feeling when you clip a fed in a res and suddenly see a fast bug-out, system jump and a ten minute wait in your future. Plus point they were so busy in a massive Anaconda pileup that I got out unscathed, minus point this CG is an immersive trek from the primary star.

Watch your targets, commanders.

Welcome to the club. :cripes:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
On Christmas Eve, my computer was an i5-2410M, 6GB of RAM, and a GeForce GT 540M with 1GB of VRAM. I could run the game, just not well. The ground game? Forget about it, like why did I have horizons if I couldn't even do those missions because of my FPS dropping to single digits.

Today, I have finished copying all the files from my old PC, except things I might have forgotten.
I now have an i7-7700HQ, 16 GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB. I can run the game. Extremely well. Max settings, smooth as butter. Even with ultra detail for the ground. And the game now is absolutely beautiful. Now I can see why people get space madness and go explore the outer reaches of space. It's beautiful.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

limaCAT posted:

Welcome to the club. :cripes:

I don't know if its just for small infractions, but I logged out of the game to go do some other stuff, came back later expecting to still have to jump to another system and back to clear the wanted 'On H-Jump', but no - wanted label was gone and I had a 400cr fine to pay on landing. Seems if you mess up small-time, just jump to supercruise in-system, exit the game and go grab a coffee, less stressful entirely.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I don't know if its just for small infractions, but I logged out of the game to go do some other stuff, came back later expecting to still have to jump to another system and back to clear the wanted 'On H-Jump', but no - wanted label was gone and I had a 400cr fine to pay on landing. Seems if you mess up small-time, just jump to supercruise in-system, exit the game and go grab a coffee, less stressful entirely.

The Q1 update is making some changes to friendly fire! :toot:

quote:

Friendly Fire - They will change the rules when it comes to issued bounties, by increasing the damage that it takes to suffer one, and adding a lower, fine-based penalty for smaller amounts of friendly fire.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Daztek posted:

The Q1 update is making some changes to friendly fire! :toot:

Knowing the game they will never get rid of "shoot at someone that is being shoot by system authorities while you didn't scan him" :frontear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

limaCAT posted:

Knowing the game they will never get rid of "shoot at someone that is being shoot by system authorities while you didn't scan him" :frontear:

It’s called trigger discipline commando :smug:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

JFC isn't this a bug? Can't believe they still haven't fixed that

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

IAmTheRad posted:

And the game now is absolutely beautiful. Now I can see why people get space madness and go explore the outer reaches of space. It's beautiful.
Yes, although some textures could be more detailed, for example gas giants look in-game like bland and dull blobs compared to breath-taking tempestuous images taken by Juno probe orbiting Jupiter (of course, many planets might be relatively featureless). It seems like their idea of planetary surfaces/atmospheres is stuck in 80s too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

limaCAT posted:

Good.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I popped on Horizons the other day and decided to see what the deal was with planetary landings. After figuring out how to get into the atmosphere, I remembered the cool UI bit that shows you the terrain if you're low enough so I whizzed down into a canyon. It turns out that you have to be really, really low to get the radar to change. It also turns out that my AspX can take some dirt and keep flying. To verify my findings, I slammed into the ground a few more times.

Once I reached the little outpost I was going for, at the end of the canyon, I found a smooth patch of dirt (and realized the radar change is so you can find a landing spot, not so flying near the ground is cooler) and...googled how to get into my SRV. It's on the panel between your legs, incidentally, one that I didn't have before getting horizons. Buggy away! I bounced toward the patch of buildings, figuring out the vertical thrusters and seeing how much space-air I could get off of space-jumps.

There didn't really seem to be anything happening at the outpost, just some buildings, a few stationary guns, and some drones, labeled "guardian," buzzing around scanning things. Maybe I can scan some things too? I thought. There hadn't been an obvious way to outfit the SRV that I'd seen, and I thought I'd heard there were missions where you scanned things from the SRV, so I figured I must have had a scanner of some kind. Maybe it was in the turret. I deployed the turret and started to have a look around, but my Y axis isn't inverted, so I paused for a second to fix that and peek at some of the other SRV buttons.

My shields had collapsed by the time I exited the options menu.

The guardians (and the giant rear end guns around the outpost) must have not liked me popping my turret, or how close I got, or something. It didn't matter anymore. What mattered was me kicking up space-dust as I made my space-escape back to my ship, which now seemed pretty far away. I managed to bounce between dunes and rocks and dodge enough of the incoming missiles to make it back to my ship in one piece only to realize that I had no idea how to get back into it. Lasers streaked the space-night all around me. The panel between my legs! I flipped it open, there was no "get back in" button or "Jesus Jesus get me out of here" button, but there was "dismiss ship." Shots ricocheted against the back of my SRV. The hull integrity warning went off. My windshield went red with a distorted "INCOMING MISSILE" alert.

The button...didn't do what I wanted it to.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 26, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, so THAT's how you collect poo poo in space: limpet drones. And here I was admiring the game for keeping stuff "realistic" but also thinking that using the cargo scoop was a bit too much. Now I suppose this is how you actually get started on collecting materials for engineering.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

limaCAT posted:

I once got interdicted by a wanted mission npc. I opened fire as soon as I had him in the crosshairs, before the npc fired on me and just before the scan finished showing his wanted status. So even though I "knew" the npc was wanted and had a mission to kill this specific npc, I still got a 1 week bounty when he blew up.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Inspector Hound posted:

I popped on Horizons the other day and decided to see what the deal was with planetary landings. After figuring out how to get into the atmosphere, I remembered the cool UI bit that shows you the terrain if you're low enough so I whizzed down into a canyon. It turns out that you have to be really, really low to get the radar to change. It also turns out that my AspX can take some dirt and keep flying. To verify my findings, I slammed into the ground a few more times.

Once I reached the little outpost I was going for, at the end of the canyon, I found a smooth patch of dirt (and realized the radar change is so you can find a landing spot, not so flying near the ground is cooler) and...googled how to get into my SRV. It's on the panel between your legs, incidentally, one that I didn't have before getting horizons. Buggy away! I bounced toward the patch of buildings, figuring out the vertical thrusters and seeing how much space-air I could get off of space-jumps.

There didn't really seem to be anything happening at the outpost, just some buildings, a few stationary guns, and some drones, labeled "guardian," buzzing around scanning things. Maybe I can scan some things too? I thought. There hadn't been an obvious way to outfit the SRV that I'd seen, and I thought I'd heard there were missions where you scanned things from the SRV, so I figured I must have had a scanner of some kind. Maybe it was in the turret. I deployed the turret and started to have a look around, but my Y axis isn't inverted, so I paused for a second to fix that and peek at some of the other SRV buttons.

My shields had collapsed by the time I exited the options menu.

The guardians (and the giant rear end guns around the outpost) must have not liked me popping my turret, or how close I got, or something. It didn't matter anymore. What mattered was me kicking up space-dust as I made my space-escape back to my ship, which now seemed pretty far away. I managed to bounce between dunes and rocks and dodge enough of the incoming missiles to make it back to my ship in one piece only to realize that I had no idea how to get back into it. Lasers streaked the space-night all around me. The panel between my legs! I flipped it open, there was no "get back in" button or "Jesus Jesus get me out of here" button, but there was "dismiss ship." Shots ricocheted against the back of my SRV. The hull integrity warning went off. My windshield went red with a distorted "INCOMING MISSILE" alert.

:smugndar: Good times

Couple tips: always park your ship outside the range of AA guns. And if you die in the srv you respawn in your ship only losing your srv which can be repaired at most stations. Also, logging out to the main menu will reset the base agro when you come back in.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Krycek posted:

:smugndar: Good times

Couple tips: always park your ship outside the range of AA guns. And if you die in the srv you respawn in your ship only losing your srv which can be repaired at most stations. Also, logging out to the main menu will reset the base agro when you come back in.

Haha, this is smashing to know, I'll just let myself be space-murdered next time, or rage quit. It was Christmas, I couldn't rage quit.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

To make VR even cooler I tried to use Voice Attack and Hello V.

Voice Attack doesn't recognize me at all - I guess I have to so the Windows voice calibration first?

Hello V works per se. The controls seem clunky (does a controller help?) but worse is the fact that the moment I activate it, my X52 freaks out and banks hard left until I press ESC to close the overlay. Any ideas how to fix this?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Voice Attack is great but yes, you do need to train it up. And then spend alot of time configuring it (unless you're using HCS).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hello V never worked well for me at all. It was clunky, and I noticed a pretty substantial performance hit in game too. The new Oculus dash is awesome though, and works amazingly well for pinning a desktop window in game. So if you're on Rift, just opt in to the beta and use that.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Inspector Hound posted:

The guardians (and the giant rear end guns around the outpost) must have not liked me popping my turret, or how close I got, or something.

Yes, as soon as you try to access a "private" datapoint you get a wanted bounty from a faction and the base aggroes you.

Fortunately most of the times skimmers in those places are already wanted so that you can access the base and wake them up, target them, get their wanted status and then plink and kill them one by one before accessing the datapoint (and repair your srv while in it, since the materials for repairing srvs are very common).

The problem is when you find a fighter parked and if it's part of a navy or a faction you want to be aligned with (the imperial navy fighter still tried to space murder me even if he was greeen), in my experience he will easily outmatch you and you need to be very lucky and fast at escaping before it damages your ship.

Inspector Hound posted:

It didn't matter anymore. What mattered was me kicking up space-dust as I made my space-escape back to my ship, which now seemed pretty far away. I managed to bounce between dunes and rocks and dodge enough of the incoming missiles to make it back to my ship in one piece only to realize that I had no idea how to get back into it. Lasers streaked the space-night all around me. The panel between my legs! I flipped it open, there was no "get back in" button or "Jesus Jesus get me out of here" button, but there was "dismiss ship." Shots ricocheted against the back of my SRV. The hull integrity warning went off. My windshield went red with a distorted "INCOMING MISSILE" alert.

Oh well, at least you have a christmas story for the nephews. Add an experimental Aegis anaconda in there and some pirates gold.

Anyway: if you have a cobra, land with your ship and its butt facing the outpost. Then you will be able to drive under the ship from the back (the srv nose must be in the direction of your ship's nose, yes, SRVs ships and fighters all obey the law of "alignment" while landing) and you will be able to use the "board" command. And you need to stay inside the glowing holographic cage.

IIRC skimmers will keep patrolling at max at a couple of km from their bases (at least this is true for random treasure caches or datapoints on the planets), so imagine them as dogs on an invisible leash.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Breetai posted:

Aye mate, you're a loving visionary...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got my first million now and I'm liking the quad multi-cannon setup I'm using over a pair of beams and a pair of multis. What I didn't know that the Diamondback Explorer has a large hardpoint and more internal space, which sounds intriguing. Should I consider upgrading to an Explorer over my Diamondback Scout, or should I just soldier on through for the money I need for a Vulture?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

I got my first million now and I'm liking the quad multi-cannon setup I'm using over a pair of beams and a pair of multis. What I didn't know that the Diamondback Explorer has a large hardpoint and more internal space, which sounds intriguing. Should I consider upgrading to an Explorer over my Diamondback Scout, or should I just soldier on through for the money I need for a Vulture?

Do a few builds on coriolis to see how much it will cost, that poo poo balloons out of control fast. I just kitted out a new explorer for 11,000,000 space bucks, way more than I thought it was going to be. Probably about half of that was the A rated warp drive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

Do a few builds on coriolis to see how much it will cost, that poo poo balloons out of control fast. I just kitted out a new explorer for 11,000,000 space bucks, way more than I thought it was going to be. Probably about half of that was the A rated warp drive.

How's that thing for bounty-hunting? My DSE can carry enough high-price goods for a courier gig that it pays out roughly the same as a bounty hunt (150k to 200k) while being pretty good at killing small ships, but it takes a while for medium ships and needs dogpiling help against big stuff. Meanwhile, the DBX will let me carry twice as much goods, upgrade my shield generator, and add a module reinforcement on top of the hull reinforcement. That's in addition to trading 2 small hardpoints for a large one, which I assume will make hunting medium targets much less of a pain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, for meta-alloys, do you need cargo hold space or does it stash it in your materials bin?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

iospace posted:

Question, for meta-alloys, do you need cargo hold space or does it stash it in your materials bin?

They're a commodity, so they count as cargo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

How's that thing for bounty-hunting? My DSE can carry enough high-price goods for a courier gig that it pays out roughly the same as a bounty hunt (150k to 200k) while being pretty good at killing small ships, but it takes a while for medium ships and needs dogpiling help against big stuff. Meanwhile, the DBX will let me carry twice as much goods, upgrade my shield generator, and add a module reinforcement on top of the hull reinforcement. That's in addition to trading 2 small hardpoints for a large one, which I assume will make hunting medium targets much less of a pain.

It has the large hardpoint for chewing through the hull once you have the shields down, but I'm terrible at combat so I have it for the jump range; without engineering I've got 40 ly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Daztek posted:

They're a commodity, so they count as cargo

Non-corrosive I'm guessing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I got this game for Christmas. I was a big fan of No Man's Sky (even when it first came out) and I know this is a very different game, but that's how I had first heard of it.

I popped it in last night and tried the training missions, and was absolute complete loving garbage at almost all of them.

Do I need to get good at flying/docking/navigating, or can I jump in the game and do things while slowly getting better at that? I haven't played the game proper yet. I got frustrated with the first Horizons training mission (the guy says there are waypoints but there totally aren't waypoints, I found and destroyed the sentry guns but could not find the generator) and turned it off.

edit: PS4 btw. Any suggestions for a newb to this game, what I should do, what I shouldn't do as I learn?

• Locked thread