Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

Remember how even months after realizing SC was a sham, you kept praising the mushmouth fucker's personal charisma and raw animal magnetism?
The thread still loving does that at times.

But this place is also a matter of coping.

edit: this is late but whatever I won't remember it by next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I haven't read the thread, but he may have. It's interesting that he mentioned the MiG-21UM specifically. Chances are I know the very aircraft he is talking about. It was for sale a couple years ago by an aviation museum in San Diego for about $70,000. I also know the ferry pilot who last flew it from Vermont to San Diego. It cost him his pilots license when he thought he was out of FAA radar contact over the desert and decided to goose the engines and take it super sonic.

I know quite a bit about this aircraft because I seriously considered buying it in 2014. As in I ran the numbers and contacted several local A&P's. Decided against it for two reasons. One there were no one familiar with the engine around me. Two: it was nearly $5,000/hr to fly the thing. $3500/hr in fuel alone. I fly 20 - 30 hours a year usually and it would cost my wife's entire annual salary to afford to fuel the drat plane. My max budget for flying is about $20,000 a year.

Small loving world.

I think I may know of the Mig you speak of too. Or a similar Mig. It was potentially housed in some random hanger at an old air force base in central California for a bit owned/rented by some multi millionaire. The guy who ran fuel (at said closed down central California AF base near Modesto, but still semi operational for private pilots) loving loved fueling that thing and would end up getting $2000-$4000k a pop from the guy. I guess the FAA was after his rear end over 10 years ago as well for going supersonic over the local town a few times (once at night) and loving with his transponder somehow. The FAA tried to interview both the fuel guy and other private pilots in the area to try and track down the dude. No one said poo poo.

Sucks he got caught. That guy was legendary and I heard crazy stories of the guy being everything from the CEO of some major corporation, a former astronaut shuttle pilot, some grizzled old Korean War F86 pilot that needed to get his loving speed fix, or all of the above.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 27, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Codezombie posted:

Bethesda getting the fallout licence was a horrific travesty. Having played Divinity Original Sin recently, I only wish Larian had gotten it instead.

A Larian made Fallout game in a decent engine would probably have been a blast, yeah.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Milky Moor posted:

There's something about Chris Roberts though. My partner, who knows nothing about Star Citizen beyond 'someone named Derek called something', watched some of the recent stream with me and of Chris she said something along the lines of "I want to believe what he's selling."

I do think that Ol Crobbler is a pretty good salesman in that sense. I think he's the definition of an infectious enthusiasm, even if he has no idea what he's talking about and people don't tend to like him with prolonged exposure.

Yeah this is my opinion. People ITT hate admitting that CR is charismatic, because they can personally see through his bullshit. But that’s not how you define charisma. IMO, charisma is the ability to make $170,000,000.00 from the words that you say.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bofast posted:

A Larian made Fallout game in a decent engine would probably have been a blast, yeah.

drat. That really would be an excellent pairing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anticheese posted:

drat. That really would be an excellent pairing.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have gotten New Vegas.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

no_recall posted:

Its loving old and I completely forgot I backed it until they started sending me updates again in December.

e: Just to add, unlike star citizen these guys worked their asses off and there was a really playable build.

So it's not a scam kickstarter? How do you like it? Because a first person EVE/Homeworld would be loving insane and exactly what I wanted out of SC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

G0RF posted:

It didn’t have to be this way. He could have and should have allocated some portion of funds to an entirely independent team with some of the old guard steering it. As a niche title embracing the conventions of old — branching missions, cutscenes, a simple plot with Hamill as the main face/voice and a cast of high talent unknowns — they could’ve nailed it quick, recovered their costs and had the perfect little nostalgia vehicle for the fervent niche of supporters hoping for just such a game. The stakes didn’t have to be raised to ludicrous levels

The rest of your post was true and good, but I wanna pick at this a little bit.

What you are describing -- SP campaign, lots of voice acting, mocapped in-engine semi-interactive cutscenes, the Wing Commander 4 in 201x -- is not quick or cheap. Even if you are far far more competent than CIG in their wildest dreams, hire regular videogame talent rather than hollywood names, and do every bioware-style "false choice" trick in the book you just cannot do that.

That type of highly produced SP content is pretty much the most expensive thing in video games today on a per-hour gameplay basis. There are fewer corners to cut and more people you need to employ. That's the reason why everything these days is open-world checklists, procedural content, and multiplayer. This is why COD's SP campaigns are like 8 hours, and SW Battlefront 2's was under 5. It is cheaper to make the huge LA scale map for GTAV than it is to make the SP campaign.

In the parallel universe where FDev and David Braben got $175 million to make a combo persistent online game and SP branching-narrative campaign, I think they'd have followed the same path as the CIG plan: do Elite Dangerous first while slowly working through Elite The Movie. I think that's the correct way to do it, and I think that's what the experienced game-producers in CIG's early days sketched out as their plan to do two difficult things at once.

But in our world, aka the darkest timeline, Crobbler completely sabotaged that plan with jpeg sales, infinite promises, and continuous redesigns.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

This is what the game looks like if you don't have an SSD or 16GB of RAM
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7mbsv3/this_is_what_the_game_looks_like_if_you_dont_have/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The only way you can savour every single frame of Chris's masterpiece.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Looks like Crobbers hit the VR on button

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7mbw97/vr_players_new_version_of_vorpx_173_appears_to_be/

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Toops posted:

Yeah this is my opinion. People ITT hate admitting that CR is charismatic, because they can personally see through his bullshit. But that’s not how you define charisma. IMO, charisma is the ability to make $170,000,000.00 from the words that you say.

In a lot of ways it's less charisma and more of what we want to hear. The kickstarter pitch was a perfect timing situation to sell this game to people. 2010-2012 was a super downer era with big name publishers going bankrupt, more or less sequels of games we have played, games hitting consoles hitting the plateau in graphics quality not to mention other BS like Activision problems with it's call of duty devs. So here comes Chris basically going.
"Hey remember Wing Commander?" "PC only" "no publishers" "it's the game you want it to be", it's hitting every tickbox from every direction of what you want in as a dream game.

Hearing it from a guy who 20 years ago who was mentioned in the same circles as people like Hideo Kojima back in those days helps sell whatever, he could have been stuttering throughout the entire pitch video and we still would have bought into it on the persons name alone.

Tim Schafer pulled this stunt as well with his kickstarters but he has also dwindled whatever good graces he had with the player base, but his games saw release.

People give John Romero poo poo for his kickstarter pitch but it's on par of what Chris' was.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

crimson_stallion, what a pathetic worm you are. DELIVER THE PACKAGE. JUST DO IT. SILENCE THE HATERS BY DELIVERING THE loving PACKAGE.

You don't want to let Derek Smart win, do you?

Stop whining about all the faults your own CONSOLE LEVEL pc is injecting into CIG's servers.

Stop doing CRAZY poo poo in the 'verse.

DELIVER. THE. loving. PACKAGE.

Then, when you finally manage it, you need to do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

THIS is how you save pc gaming, you dumb gently caress. Did you think it was going to be EASY?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Instead of the vomit comet, Star Citizen VR promises to shatter your perception of space and time via methods restricted the Geneva Convention

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
What are the repercussions if RSI fails to respond in a timely manner to Crytek's complaint?

Besides the comedy.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

BluesShaman posted:

What are the repercussions if RSI fails to respond in a timely manner to Crytek's complaint?

Besides the comedy.

Hopefully they lose by default.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Remember how even months after realizing SC was a sham, you kept praising the mushmouth fucker's personal charisma and raw animal magnetism?

Because it wasn't that you were suckered like a total loving idiot, god of course not, Chris Roberts is just that good a salesman. Yes, that was it.

:yikes:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

FailureToReport posted:

So it's not a scam kickstarter? How do you like it? Because a first person EVE/Homeworld would be loving insane and exactly what I wanted out of SC.

Nope, which is the reason nobody knows about it. In summary, the game is Homeworld MMO with some basic planetary stuff, shipyards, mining, research etc. But in a persistent gameworld. The concept, the alpha anyway, worked as advertised. You could build fleets, customize ships, build stuff on planets and perform space battles. Go you tube Novus Aeterno gameplay vids and you'll see that it plays pretty well, unlike star citizen.

They simply stopped any email communication in 2016, servers went down in 2014/2015 can't really remember. And I didn't really care as well, cause I knew these guys were honest devs and weren't money grabbing for that matter.

What Hades9 is, its a completely new game and I was pretty amazed at whatever they showed in the KS email update. Initially I was about to ask for a refund, but now, I'm pretty curious about this new direction. As a backer, I don't mind cause its just 1 guy working on it full time (if my memory is serving me) and a few others helping out.

e : cause what Hades9 is, is Star Citizen. lmao

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
How many backers would drink cyanide-laced flavor-aid if Roberts told them to?

Dozens at least. Maybe a few hundred.

A few hundred pages back there was a Jonestown send-up.

Cults are bad. Critical thinking is good.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

Chris is high on his own supply of dream powder and a lot of people are attracted to that. He's a good salesman and will do fine when he's back to selling exotic imported cars

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
How many more days does CIG have until they respond to Crytek's lawsuit?

Its like an ELE countcourtdown

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

IMO, charisma is the ability to make $170,000,000.00 from the words that he has said, based on something that he will deliver in the future.

He's basically good at negotiating for a loan, based on lies. And is in a terrible debt.

Also, he'll be attending space court soon.

It's all good.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

until Jan 3-4

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

no_recall posted:

Someone counted the days earlier in the thread, I think they said January 3rd or 4th is the deadline?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

BluesShaman posted:

Besides the comedy.

They default, judge looks at Crytek's evidence and awards them whatever seems compensatory. US law might have some nuances, but I'm pretty sure the meat and bones of the procedure is similar everywhere.

Source: I made a lost personal earnings claim in the UK some years ago after an employer decided he didn't want a practice tech after coaxing me away from another job.

If they default, that's dumb. A brain damaged monkey could form a response, all they need to do is say "we dint do it guvnur!" to each complaint.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Xaerael posted:

all they need to do is say "we dint do it guvnur!" to each complaint.

And then the real ELE begins.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

BluesShaman posted:

Besides the comedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_judgment

tl;dr: Crytek are awarded the damages they claimed in their complaint. As the damages they're claiming are unspecified, there would have to be a further session to determine what, exactly, the damages are.

This would be bad for CIG.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Latin Pheonix posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_judgment

tl;dr: Crytek are awarded the damages they claimed in their complaint. As the damages they're claiming are unspecified, there would have to be a further session to determine what, exactly, the damages are.

This would be bad for CIG.

Imagine how funny it would be if they sought damages for 170,000,000 dollars.

I want this to be true.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because it wasn't that you were suckered like a total loving idiot, god of course not, Chris Roberts is just that good a salesman. Yes, that was it.

Loxbourne posted:

So who refunds? [...] They need a big shock, a kick in the teeth, an unforced error from CIG that whips off the illusion and makes them realise just what CIG think of them. They need a Gamescon 2017 moment.

The shocks are, almost universally, things that shake their faith in Chris. Not the game, not even CIG most of the time, but Chris Roberts himself. Lando can leak things, Tony Z can be undermined, Ben can be an alarming reminder of what CIG likes its whales to act like...but for pretty much the whole lifetime of the fanbase, backers' faith has been in Chris Roberts himself to deliver the game they dream of. You have to shake that before they head for the door.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'll be honest, if what Crytek is demonstrably claiming is true, CIG should settle if they can afford it. If Ortwin decides to self represent, it's over before it's begun. He's got a demonstrably terrible track record for court appearances if you dig around enough. Even his own divorce, which he petitioned, seems to have ended more in his ex-wife's favour.

I just think that CIG can't afford it, and are financially in the hole bigtime. The reluctance to follow through on their kickstarter promise to show financials after failure to deliver within a deadline window is enough to convince me that they've been struggling to stay afloat for a long time now, and all it's going to take is a couple of lacklustre sales, or, say, a lawsuit that's going after a significant percentage (5%+ is my guess), and that will be the end of them.

In a real world, for an operation the size of CIG, $170m+ over 5 years is pathetic. It totally makes sense they're not making any real progress, because all they can afford is modellers to churn out new concepts to sell, and a bunch of fresh faced kids to whack at the code like a troupe of monkeys.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Seriously, I have to believe that the law firm of Ortwin, Gardiner, and Croberts will respond by the date. They can't possibly be that stupid.......Can they?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Latin Pheonix posted:

tl;dr: Crytek are awarded the damages they claimed in their complaint. As the damages they're claiming are unspecified, there would have to be a further session to determine what, exactly, the damages are. This would be bad for CIG.

If this happens, we should all laugh long and hard about it...but also don't think the case would end there. CIG would immediately file to have the default set aside. That would mean betting the company on a court hearing, but it's not too difficult to get if you haven't done anything stupid in the litigation so far and you grovel enough.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

no_recall posted:

Imagine how funny it would be if they sought damages for 170,000,000 dollars.

I want this to be true.

More than that! CIG have used CryEngine to fleece the wallets of investors and banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpx21Uf7hs

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Webster, Webster, and Cohen

Lazard, Lazard, Conda, Dactyl, and Cohen

Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, and MacCormick

Name the three movies these law firms are from without googling. We're on the honor system.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Loxbourne posted:

If this happens, we should all laugh long and hard about it...but also don't think the case would end there. CIG would immediately file to have the default set aside. That would mean betting the company on a court hearing, but it's not too difficult to get if you haven't done anything stupid in the litigation so far and you grovel enough.

How many weekends and holidays are not counted? Does this add up to more than 2 Weeks?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

XK posted:

I'm not a website creator guy, but is this number hard coded, and updated via automatic script that edits the html?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

I believe you already got an answer but a couple years ago you'd probably be right, hand editing. These days serverside templating is probably inserting that number automatically. The small change from what you saw last night compared to this morning indicates to me it's not done by hand.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

BluesShaman posted:

Webster, Webster, and Cohen

Lazard, Lazard, Conda, Dactyl, and Cohen

Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, and MacCormick

Name the three movies these law firms are from without googling. We're on the honor system.

Hungadunga, etc I'm fairly sure is a Marx Brothers film. I want to say Animal Crackers.

Webster, etc sounds familiar, but I'm pulling a blank.

I feel like Lazard is going to make me kick myself.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Breaking News: CIG hires firm of Howard, Fine, and Howard to represent itself.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah, they'd have to show good cause for not responding, but apparently 'good cause' isn't particularly onerous. That said, they'd still likely have to pay some costs for their failure to respond; not a good way to start a court case (but who cares, it's just backers' money after all, right?).

That said, I won't be surprised if the next thing to appear on Pacermonitor is a hold on the case because both sides are negotiating a settlement. If that happens things will get far duller as negotiations take place behind closed doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Latin Pheonix posted:

Yeah, they'd have to show good cause for not responding, but apparently 'good cause' isn't particularly onerous.
"Ortwin has broken his wrist whilst tickling."

If they begin settling it will be fun to watch furniture disappear from AtV between the shots.