Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Honestly, with a new GM in place, landing a new exciting head coach would go a long way for the Browns. They've got a few good pieces and probably two picks in the top 5 in this years draft, as well as a fuckload of cap space. Haslam stepping back would also be ideal but they've got the pieces in place and like Ches Neckbeard said, if the next coach reports to Dorsey and Dorsey gets final say on who that coach is, they should have a good base to build up from.

The last regime was a disaster from go. Sashi, Hue, Andrew Berry (head of scouting) and DePodesta all reported to Jimmy separately. There was no way in hell it was going to end well. As it stands Dorsey, Hue, Depodesta all report to Jimmy. I have no idea of Andrew Berry's status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roasted Donut posted:

This isn't in the slightest true in the past, certainly not now, or ever in the future.

Listen, I root for the Lions, I've been browbeaten into being optimistic in the offseason.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Somehow land Peyton to run an aspect of the organization. It would really be nothing more than a PR move unless he were QB coach.

peyton manning would probably be a terrible qb coach because the poo poo he was good at was instinctual, poo poo you can't just teach someone. it would be like hiring Brett Favre as a QB coach.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

DC Murderverse posted:

peyton manning would probably be a terrible qb coach because the poo poo he was good at was instinctual, poo poo you can't just teach someone. it would be like hiring Brett Favre as a QB coach.

"OK you are going to look at the foot placement of every defensive player and read their body language to see where they are going to go, this should take you a quarter second."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Peyton worked very hard and had a great QB brain so as long as he could communicate he'd be better than Farve who literally is on record saying he just threw the ball hard for like 6 or 7 years before learning how the defence worked and who to look for. He even talks about throwing to the guy on the clear out route just because he could and he liked to throw it really far. Which probably drove Holmgren loving nuts.

Good teaching is Man management, communication, and knowledge. Peyton has knowledge, and the other two we don't know.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brett Favre proved all a team needs is some hick from the deep south and an unlimited supply of pain pills.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All they have to do is identify a franchise QB in the draft, which they have been unable to do for almost 20 years unless you include Tim Couch who had no chance to truly succeed.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Has anyone ever gone into pre-draft interviews with teams and just like....shat on the table or refused to speak? Or just refused to interview with the team?

How did Elway play out? I recall something along the lines of “If the Colts draft me I’ll just go play baseball.” And that’s pretty much what Bo Jackson did when the Bucs drafted him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

How did Elway play out? I recall something along the lines of “If the Colts draft me I’ll just go play baseball.” And that’s pretty much what Bo Jackson did when the Bucs drafted him.

The Bucs completely hosed Bo over though, it was a bit different.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Bucs completely hosed Bo over though, it was a bit different.

I don’t know the details on that one, was it insurance related or just l”ol here’s a contract worth less then what a typical #1 pick would get”

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nystral posted:

I don’t know the details on that one, was it insurance related or just l”ol here’s a contract worth less then what a typical #1 pick would get”

They drafted them and then told him "okay now you're not allowed to play baseball anymore" and since Bo considered baseball his first sport he was like "lmao nah gently caress off" and just didn't sign

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Alaois posted:

They drafted them and then told him "okay now you're not allowed to play baseball anymore" and since Bo considered baseball his first sport he was like "lmao nah gently caress off" and just didn't sign

He was pissed because they sent a jet to pick him up which killed his eligibility for baseball.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

They also gave Bo a ride on the team plane that cost him his eligibility, possibly because they thought it would force him to give up baseball.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They said "hey man, have a ride on our team jet the NCAA approves it!"

The NCAA hadn't approved it, so it killed his eligibility and they hoped that by lying and that happening he'd give up baseball.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i knew i was forgetting something insane about the story

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know some college dudes gotta be like "gently caress it. If I make the Browns win, I AM MADE in the NFL." so, like, a bunch of them should totally be like "Let's play awesome and win and then we'll get paid when we hit FA"

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gatts posted:

You know some college dudes gotta be like "gently caress it. If I make the Browns win, I AM MADE in the NFL." so, like, a bunch of them should totally be like "Let's play awesome and win and then we'll get paid when we hit FA"

Miles Garrett is probably going to make that happen as soon as he learns how to stay healthy in the pros.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That move is a lot harder for a 1st round QB to pull off. If you have statistical success as a passer in Cleveland you've condemned yourself to 7 years with the franchise, at least.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Football doesn't believe in reclamation projects like baseball does. Like if you wash out as a qb you are donezo or a backup for the jets or something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think sports curses are foolish and people who believe in them are silly but the Browns are absolutely cursed and any QB that goes there will suffer and bring no success to that franchise

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That’s bullshit. The Browns with a league average QB this year probably have 4-5 wins. Kizer is really so bad that his presence is worth negative wins. They have good receivers, backs and offensive line but horrible QB and questionable coaching.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think if the Browns fire Hue and bring in a league average head coach, whatever quarterback they draft will be fine. There's talent on the roster and other QBs have entered far worse situations.

(Before anyone makes the crack, Jeff Fisher is not a league average head coach.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fsif posted:

I think if the Browns fire Hue and bring in a league average head coach, whatever quarterback they draft will be fine. There's talent on the roster and other QBs have entered far worse situations.

(Before anyone makes the crack, Jeff Fisher is not a league average head coach.)

He is above average, way above in loses.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

That’s bullshit. The Browns with a league average QB this year probably have 4-5 wins. Kizer is really so bad that his presence is worth negative wins. They have good receivers, backs and offensive line but horrible QB and questionable coaching.

Nope, cursed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Browns bidness aside, how deep is this draft? Or is that dependent on the kids up front who could end up in Cleveland staying in the draft?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Browns bidness aside, how deep is this draft? Or is that dependent on the kids up front who could end up in Cleveland staying in the draft?

At a relatively quick threshold, people will stop holding out because it means the #3-#x players could start going at #1 or at least earlier than they normally would.

1st gets $30 mil, while 5th gets around $25 mil. That's not a small difference. It drops off more dramatically after that.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/2017-nfl-draft-first-round-pick-salary

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Redo your boards gents, Nebraska/Tulane QB Tanner Lee just declared

(Honestly he would probably be better than a couple current backups)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i would like to watch a reality show featuring Darnold, Allen and Rosen as they all compete to be the second best QB in their draft class while desperately trying to avoid looking like the best one.

the final episode will feature one of them making a really pathetic Tunsil-esque video of them smoking weed poorly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Bigass Moth posted:

Hell, the Lions went from a decade of decline and ruination leading up to 0-16 to the playoffs in a handful of years. Things change fast in the NFL, and if nothing else for the Browns there's literally nowhere to go but up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Real Name Grover posted:

Redo your boards gents, Nebraska/Tulane QB Tanner Lee just declared

(Honestly he would probably be better than a couple current backups)

at throwing pick sixes, maybe

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hell, the Lions went from a decade of decline and ruination leading up to 0-16 to the playoffs in a handful of years. Things change fast in the NFL, and if nothing else for the Browns there's literally nowhere to go but up.

They could go 0-16 again, given that they're probably keeping a soon to be 1-31 coach.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They will plateau instead

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Teams that need a CB, FWIW (:shrug:):
https://twitter.com/junioraumanac/status/946548031415111680

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Everyones gonna drink the poison on Oliver cus he's really big but he's not much of a cover guy when he can't bully a WR. He's quick as hell though so he'll definitely make up for all those passes he gives up. Could get better with time though, he's got the physical make up to be one of the faster corners in stride and jumping.

Denzel Ward and Joshua Jackson are my two top guys right now. Ward's crazy fast and sticks to everyone like glue. He's not a baiting CB and won't get picks, plus he'll get bullied by bigger guys like Mike Williams last year, but he's just a do it all corner. Joshua Jackson might not enter but he's a total ball hawk. Tall, amazing ball skills, attacks at the point of the jump. He's not as sticky as other guys and he likes to sit back on his heels while routes develop or runs come to the outside. Still though he's a complete NFL athlete at this point in his college career and it shows.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
How are 3-4 pass rushing linebackers in this draft?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How are the....what do the Jaguars need other than maybe QB? Uhh...Tight Ends in the 20s range?

edit: or Guards/Centers, LBs (Poz is on the last year of his contract and the Jaguars probably cant afford to re-sign him), and slot corners (Aaron Colvin is really underrated and also unaffordable)?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How are the....what do the Jaguars need other than maybe QB? Uhh...Tight Ends in the 20s range?

edit: or Guards/Centers, LBs (Poz is on the last year of his contract and the Jaguars probably cant afford to re-sign him), and slot corners (Aaron Colvin is really underrated and also unaffordable)?

Wide receiver(s)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sure are a lot of Jacksons here

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randaconda posted:

Wide receiver(s)
We have enough WRs for three teams (unless we let both Robinson and Lee walk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/pff_steve/status/946777801167863808

these are the men making decisions about our football teams

• Locked thread