Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

frajaq posted:

jeez I know you're memeing but there's no reason to use Dorregaray, he's that bad now

he can pull morkvarg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

rydiafan posted:

In lighter news I made a dumb meme deck based on the American military adage "If we don't know what we're doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"

Usurper

Uma
Avalla'ch the Sage
Blue Dream
Aguara True Form

Summoning Circle
Johnny
Dazhbog Runestone
Dorregagray
Portcullis
Decoy

Doppler x 3
Vicovaro Medic x 3
Slave Driver x 3
Ointment x 3
Magne Division x 3

I was playing almost the same deck, but using vico novices for ointments instead of magne divisions, and assasins to set up vico medics. I love playing this thing. Might try magne divisions and dopplers instead. I also didn't find dorregary that bad. Sometimes he picks up morkvargh or imperial manticore or 3x2 dragon or ocvist (who probably dies without having an effect, though). Certainly more consistent than avallach: sage, who keeps picking roach and aeileren and rainfarn and such.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 24, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, gently caress alchemy Nilfgaard decks. Viper Witchers (and therefore Ointments) are just casual 15 point bronzes that murder anything they want before you can build combos.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

rydiafan posted:

Man, gently caress alchemy Nilfgaard decks. Viper Witchers (and therefore Ointments) are just casual 15 point bronzes that murder anything they want before you can build combos.

Ran into this and it was brutal. Not fun to play against!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good new deck for laddering that costs few scraps to play based on the new decks? I don’t want to spend any money on micro transactions.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Monster Consume still makes a lot of points, with mostly common cards.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/37817-guide-kbts-relict-eater-v2

Something like this?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Most decks are about equally cheap/expensive in this game since most cost comes down to the golds and silvers. Top dogs right now include bear skellige, spy nilfgaard, and scorch/nova scoiatel. I would not shoot for monsters right now unless you have all the cards already or something, it's pretty garb in my opinion

Or if you're really that hard up just wait a few days, the game is likely to be patched soon-ish after christmas and the meta should shift significantly

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you guys want an insanely fun deck to play I stole this off some guy on the ladder:

The Knight's the key to this deck. Mulligan heavy for him, Vesemir, and Bonhart. Play Knight first, then Vesemir into Mandrake to strengthen the Knight, then pray to god that they don't have a Scorch/Coral/Artefact Compression. If you get past this step alive you've won the game. Immediately Emhyr a card out, preferably Royal Decree/Avallac'h and return the Knight to your hand. Then from there you free cast Magne Division to Wyvern Shield units on the board giving them all +18 each shield. Bonhart reveals the Knight so you can then start using Spotters on him for +23 drops. The guy who I took this deck from ran two Ointments so he could freely drop Spotters on round one/two and then resurrect them on round 3. I dropped one and included a Spear instead since it essentially does the same thing as a Spotter or Wyvern Shield in this deck and reduces the brick potential if your Spotters haven't died or been used yet.

It looks like a gimmick deck at first but the play pattern is really consistent. The Recruit/Alzur's Double-Cross helps pull out the Knight if you can't get it in your starting hand. Assire puts the Knight back or Roach/Shield/Spotter if they die. Summoning Circle replaces Thaler and can be used to clone round 2 spies or tempo drops if they drop a spell/gold after you place a Spotter. This deck also has insane thinning potential so you generally hit the combo no matter what.

I keep ending games up two cards or up 50+ points. I highly recommend this deck.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

spotter deck

Swim was working on similar lists today and is supposed to post a guide for the deck tomorrow, you have like 12 hours before the cancer metastasizes and absolutely everyone is playing it.

It is very fun to play for sure. It'll lose some impact once the general populace understands how it works but I've had some beautiful games with it as well

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Swim pushing a list like that could finally make Venendal Elite viable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lmao if this is true

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This has been in the game since the first patch in CB, so people wouldnt exploit the GG system.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Mods No Masters posted:

Swim was working on similar lists today and is supposed to post a guide for the deck tomorrow, you have like 12 hours before the cancer metastasizes and absolutely everyone is playing it.

It is very fun to play for sure. It'll lose some impact once the general populace understands how it works but I've had some beautiful games with it as well

Swim exists solely to give away my bamboozle decks or the bamboozle decks I stole from other people. The difference is he's really great and figures out the missing pieces to turn my decks into standard cancer decks instead of meme decks.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
The new deck builder is great but now you can no longer transmute a leader to premium if its currently being used in a deck. You have to swap leaders before you can do so :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7me1pt/a_coinflipfix_specifically_for_card_advantage/

This actually isn't a bad idea.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesn't seem better than just giving 9 free points to the player going first. Allowing it to draw ever is just beyond broken.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The draw mechanic just means that it replaces itself if the player going second passes first.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

too complicated for new/mobile players

so no

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
The "beta" excuse is an especially dumb one now that most of the public/popular streamers/pros have been exposed to the game and formed their own impression about it. I loved Gwent to bits but they never had any idea how to balance it or support it to begin with. It's kind of over now. I doubt this game will make enough money for them to keep it fresh in the long term.

And, huh, this is especially baffling considering how good the game was right out of closed beta. They could've simply made small, incremental changes and added new cards faster (30-40 per month would probably have been enough), believing in the fact that the game was good enough to attract new players without dumbing it down.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

2018 will be the Year of Gwent

I'll laugh at the nonbelievers, you'll see!!!!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

frajaq posted:

2018 will be the Year of Gwent

I'll laugh at the nonbelievers, you'll see!!!!

what did they even say "the year of gwent" was at cdpr?

god i hope they're at least focusing on cyberpunk real hard and gwent was the sacrificial lamb

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I don't mind things being dumbed down so long as they remain sharp at the upper echelons.
It's not that Gwent doesn't know what it wants to be in my opinion, it's that it is trying desperately to appeal to all comers and in doing so is tearing itself apart.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Kawabata posted:

The "beta" excuse is an especially dumb one now that most of the public/popular streamers/pros have been exposed to the game and formed their own impression about it. I loved Gwent to bits but they never had any idea how to balance it or support it to begin with. It's kind of over now. I doubt this game will make enough money for them to keep it fresh in the long term.

And, huh, this is especially baffling considering how good the game was right out of closed beta. They could've simply made small, incremental changes and added new cards faster (30-40 per month would probably have been enough), believing in the fact that the game was good enough to attract new players without dumbing it down.

Adding 30 cards a month sounds tricky to balance.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gwent tracker will now require Overwolf

lol

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kawabata posted:

While I agree on the principal that if you're charging people for more than strictly early access to the full the game in the future (such as having transactions of any type ingame or charging for DLC prior to release) then you aren't a beta. However if you don't take that hard line in the sand then Gwent hasn't been in open beta for an unreasonable period of time relative to other games and they've legitimately used it to make sweeping gameplay/mechanic changes to the game even up to this point so it's a pretty reasonable excuse even if it is still likely to kill the game.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I can't figure out anything whatsoever to do with a NR card: Witch Hunter

http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50259-witch-hunter

3 power unit, Rediania soldier

Reset a unit. If it's a Mage, play a copy of this unit from your deck.

Reset isn't keyworded on the card; is there any benefit to resetting your own units? reset doesn't trigger comes-into-play effects, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This is how it goes when I am playing Nilfgaard: play Foltest, buff your mages, wait till the Nilfgaard player has big Impera Brigades, play one Witcher Hunter and reset your mage, then play another WH that resets the Brigade.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I can't figure out anything whatsoever to do with a NR card: Witch Hunter

http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50259-witch-hunter

3 power unit, Rediania soldier

Reset a unit. If it's a Mage, play a copy of this unit from your deck.

Reset isn't keyworded on the card; is there any benefit to resetting your own units? reset doesn't trigger comes-into-play effects, right?

You would reset your own unit to heal it back to base strength, or more commonly, because it's a mage so you can draw another witch hunter. If your opponent has a big buffed card but no Magee units and you want a big play, you just use the last hunter to reset theirs and still benefit from deckthin

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Been playing this Viper Witcher deck since the patch which I found on the front page but seems to have since dropped off. The Artefact Compression was originally Dazhbog Runestone but I swapped it when that Swim handbuff deck appeared. I figured it would be everywhere but I haven't seen it yet, maybe because I'm not high enough.

I did go from 16-18 dropping only three games but the deck doesn't feel like it's got the legs for much more because the ales and ointments really can screw up your opening hand. It also only has a few proactive plays if you go first, namely the Slave Drivers. They were originally that card that spawns a dude on each row but the Slave Drivers seem a lot better. They're awful against monsters but surprisingly good against the other factions; for example, in a few games now I've used the armor-stealing NR cavalry to great effect, but they otherwise usually provide a bronze body between 8-11 strength.

Trial of the Grasses is my main finisher and it's not bad, but playing it when my opponent has even a single card in hand feels risky as hell with all the big unit counters floating around at the moment. The deck is fun to play and can pull off some crazy high tempo plays with Vilgefortz and Vesemir but yeah, I'm looking around for something else now. Maybe that Henselt machines deck with Winch, anyone here been playing that?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A couple janky tips.

1) Put an extra bronze in your decks that don't have Ciri: Nova. People will see that you have 26 cards, and play with the expectation that you're going to drop her at the end of round 3. I bricked guy with a Scorch yesterday.

2) Take a silver out of your decks that do have Ciri: Nova. People will see that it's a 25 card list and never expect her.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's pretty funny. I might have to give that a try and see if anyone falls for it, though I can't say I keep checking the enemy deck size to see if they have nova. I feel like I'm playing against mostly regular 25 spies and dwarfs.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I feel like a scrub now because never thought to check that

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

rydiafan posted:

A couple janky tips.

1) Put an extra bronze in your decks that don't have Ciri: Nova. People will see that you have 26 cards, and play with the expectation that you're going to drop her at the end of round 3. I bricked guy with a Scorch yesterday.

2) Take a silver out of your decks that do have Ciri: Nova. People will see that it's a 25 card list and never expect her.

You can also cheat a bit and just run recon for one of your bronzes. You don't need a dupe of it to activate ciri nova.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
ciri:nova is a dumb card

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Minrad posted:

You can also cheat a bit and just run recon for one of your bronzes. You don't need a dupe of it to activate ciri nova.

I assume this is a bug, since I see no reason recon should be special.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

rydiafan posted:

I assume this is a bug, since I see no reason recon should be special.

yep, hence cheat. but I consider it fair game when everyone is playing 4 spies in their deck, or seeing what ambush cards are in the played cards log, or lifting your cards with emhyr, or getting 4 consumes with arachas queen, etc etc etc....

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Minrad posted:

yep, hence cheat. but I consider it fair game when everyone is playing 4 spies in their deck, or seeing what ambush cards are in the played cards log, or lifting your cards with emhyr, or getting 4 consumes with arachas queen, etc etc etc....

wait are all of those real :psyduck:

what's going on with this game

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

You also forgot people not even drawing all their cards to begin the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

botany posted:

wait are all of those real :psyduck:

what's going on with this game

New UI has some glitches.