Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poe's graphics are only "arpg boilerplate" because ggg intentionally decided to follow d2's style pretty closely, and d2 was the standard-setter for literally every aspect of arpg mechanics and atmosphere. i decided to play poe for the first time when i saw a screenshot of a mob of skeletons and they looked exactly like d2 skeletons; that signaled to me "hey, these guys want to make a game that hews closer to d2 than d3 did". it's a cheap trick to appeal to nostalgia, and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

J posted:

Don't play SSF if you're a new player, even if you don't want to trade. Seen way too many new players going "Hey guys I'm getting my rear end kicked in act6 what am I doing wrong?" Or "Hey guys I ran out of tier6 maps what am I doing wrong?" And being able to trade or raid the goon guild stash will solve both of those very frustrating problems in 2 seconds and make the game vastly more enjoyable. Save SSF for later when you're more experienced with the game and looking to change up your usual routine.
Can't you turn SSF off at literally any time though? It's not like Hardcore where you're stuck with the choice unless you feel like playing on Standard.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Can't you turn SSF off at literally any time though? It's not like Hardcore where you're stuck with the choice unless you feel like playing on Standard.

Yes, but some people actually have self-control. :colbert:

I've seriously been thinking about switching over to SSF because it seems way loving easier than learning what will actually sell, especially with all of these Shaped/Elder rares.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrsW5ovdH4

theres a hilarious interaction between the zana bubble giving immunity to the 4-chain elder slam, and ichimonji: the sword that prevents you from acquiring any buffs

turns out that immunity is a buff

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At least he got the challenge for red map Elder :v:

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

quote:

Rarity: Rare
Golem Turn
Opal Ring
--------
Requirements:
Level: 80
--------
Item Level: 79
--------
25% increased Elemental Damage
--------
Adds 6 to 14 Physical Damage to Attacks
Adds 7 to 14 Cold Damage to Attacks
62% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
+16% to all Elemental Resistances

Any good crafters out there know what I should do with this? The mana regen is a disappointing roll, but the rest seems pretty decent.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

A little late, but if there's still room could LanceHotrod get a goon guild invite?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

damnfan posted:

Any good crafters out there know what I should do with this? The mana regen is a disappointing roll, but the rest seems pretty decent.

Scour and start alting for ele attack or ele % damage :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

J posted:

Don't play SSF if you're a new player, even if you don't want to trade. Seen way too many new players going "Hey guys I'm getting my rear end kicked in act6 what am I doing wrong?"

This is literally me re the rear end-kicking. The Mud Flats are just murdering me over and over. What should I look to trade for?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is literally me re the rear end-kicking. The Mud Flats are just murdering me over and over. What should I look to trade for?

More life and resistances, and I would be looking at your rings first. Post your profile (make sure it's public) and people will tell you more.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Get some fire resist for the tukohama vanguards' totems. Get all your resists to 75! You can buy or vendor recipe elemental resist rings and then alt/aug spam them.

J
Jun 10, 2001

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, it can be turned off whenever, but people hit this mental block where they're like "welllll if I push through this one part I'm having trouble with I can stay SSF and keep going, right?" And then they just get frustrated and quit the game instead.

What happens in act6 is your resists get lowered after the act5 boss, and then you run into tukohama vanguards. They drop scorching ray totems - scorching ray is a damage over time burn effect that stacks up the longer you stand in the beam. It also lowers your fire resist too. A lot of players at this point are going to have bad fire resist as a result of both of those things. If you stand in that beam for more than like a second or two you're probably getting melted. You'll want to pick up life and resists on your gear, as someone else mentioned rings are probably a good spot to check first.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't notice any difference in difficulty throughout the campaign. The debuff from killing kitava is noticable, though.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Depends on your build and if you happened to have good resists and/or life from your gear.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Ffxi in screenshots looks ok but in motion it's literal rear end. Wow also looks like literal rear end but it's because they stretch the same 300x300 texture that looks really good at 300x300 over a 30000x30000 space. Plus the fact that some of the skill and inventory artwork is still poo poo they ripped from Warcraft 3 because "hey, it still works I guess". When it comes to graphics there isn't really a doubt that d3 blows Poe out of the water but I can't help but feel that Poe's issues come from engine limitations. Say what you will about Diablo's current state of gameplay, that game runs like butter and has ran like butter since 1.0, on top of looking very good (as far as dungeon crawler loot em ups go).

And they still have parts of the warcraft 3 engine in wow today right?! :goonsay:

Pro engine right here boys. Also reason number X why I don't play hardcore.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FunDullJamNerfRedBlaster

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 27, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Gonna make a build that uses shroud of the lightless and I'm thinking ele conversion ek nova pathfinder. With that in mind, veteran bowyer seems like a must have passive but then I have to choose between master surgeon or master alchemist and I'm really not sure. Surgeon is like the trademark pathfinder passive, but this won't really be a boss killer char so I may not need it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Several popular builds (including the GC totems build I'm using) use Cast When Damage Taken with Immortal Call, but I don't see a way to generate endurance charges on most of them.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Immortal Call works?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You still have an physical immunity period with ic even with no endurance charges.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 27, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Immortal Call has a base duration. Endurance Charges just add bonus time to it, which isn't necessary if all you want IC to do is prevent you from dying to a bunch of spike hits in very quick succession (dozens of porcupines exploding is the prototypical example).

Svensken
May 29, 2010
The last expansion also added the Pantheons, one of which gives you 50% inceased life recovery when you stop taking physical damage over time. This includes IC briefly stopping Blood Rage degen.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

AegisP posted:

Immortal Call has a base duration. Endurance Charges just add bonus time to it, which isn't necessary if all you want IC to do is prevent you from dying to a bunch of spike hits in very quick succession (dozens of porcupines exploding is the prototypical example).

I play HC and always fit immortal call into my build somewhere, but I've never been able to tell if it's actually preventing any damage or if it's just a big warning signal to get me to hit my flasks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

NPR Journalizard posted:

More life and resistances, and I would be looking at your rings first. Post your profile (make sure it's public) and people will tell you more.

Well with that in mind, my profile is here, and it's the level 52 Slayer https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/DangerOctopus/characters and the pastebin here if that's easier https://pastebin.com/yE2nFvUh

It's my first character, so really just hoping to understand from anyone helpful whether there are any easy ways (without a lot of currency) to get more survivability or if starting over and avoiding the same mistakes is a better option?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just had this drop in Abyss:

Great +%life and +resist rolls, not so good on the +%armor. 5 slots, 3/2 links (I threw about five fusings at it to see if I could luck out on a 5+ link).

Looks like it could fetch 2 or 2.5 exalts right now. Do these normally go up in price later in a league?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well with that in mind, my profile is here, and it's the level 52 Slayer https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/DangerOctopus/characters and the pastebin here if that's easier https://pastebin.com/yE2nFvUh

It's my first character, so really just hoping to understand from anyone helpful whether there are any easy ways (without a lot of currency) to get more survivability or if starting over and avoiding the same mistakes is a better option?

Look for life on your gear, get an instant life flask, get a bleed flask (maybe on a jade or stibnite flask), and a quicksilver flask would be real helpful too.

Also avoid standard league, the economy there is trash and i bet if you were in abyss you'd be able to upgrade all of your gear for free just by checking the guild stash or asking people in guild chat.

Your links look pretty bad too, even in your four link you're basically running a 1 link sweep (onslaught helps a little bit, but probably not so much if you're not killing things fast in the first place, EDWA isn't really going to be scaling much either since you're using a phys weapon without much conversion or added ele damage, life on hit shouldn't be necessary, you have life leech on the tree).

If you swapped your 4 link to sunder-faster attacks - meelee physical damage - added fire or something similar you might be surprised at how much smoother things get. Molten strike - ancestral call - added fire or edwa would probably be better in your 3 link chest too.

e. your leap slam setup should be something more like leap slam - faster attacks - fortify too, although it looks like leap slam might be your main dps skill?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So is Sweep your primary skill? Because your supports for it suck tbh. Life Gain on Hit is kinda weak since you're dealing with fairly slow attacks, not to mention it does nothing for your DPS, and EDwA is doing very little since you only have a small amount of added elemental damage on a slow weapon. If you're going to go elemental 2-hander, you want to do elemental conversion. Stacking flat elemental damage is for fast attacks. Switching those supports for Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Concentrated Effect will just about triple your DPS (consider swapping Increased AoE for clearing trash and just using Conc E for bosses).

Leap Slam has the better supports on it, but you should use it only for mobility. Link Faster Attacks - Fortify - Reduced Mana on it.

Doing normal lab and not grabbing any keystones is a serious mistake and honestly, unless you're going to ignore that tree entirely, there's basically no reason not to grab Bane of Legends. Culling stuff at 20% makes things soooo much easier. Re-spec'ing would be costly though, so might be best to just gut it out until Cruel lab.

Unless you're actually using Molten Strike, you'd be better served with different jewels entirely.

Are you using Purity of Elements to make up for lack of resists in gear? Not the worst idea in the world, but probably not something I'd stick with long term. Your rings and belt look like prime candidates for upgrades. If you're in the guild, definitely hit up the stash.

You really should get a Quicksilver flask and some boots with movement speed on them. Increased movement speed is such a massive QoL improvement you'll hate yourself for going to slow before, besides being another thing that'll help keep you alive.

Edit: Oh, you're in Standard? Yeah, ditch this character and start fresh in Abyss.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Jazerus posted:

poe's graphics are only "arpg boilerplate" because ggg intentionally decided to follow d2's style pretty closely, and d2 was the standard-setter for literally every aspect of arpg mechanics and atmosphere. i decided to play poe for the first time when i saw a screenshot of a mob of skeletons and they looked exactly like d2 skeletons; that signaled to me "hey, these guys want to make a game that hews closer to d2 than d3 did". it's a cheap trick to appeal to nostalgia, and it worked.

If you compare PoE to what Blizzard could do in D2 times PoE still looks like complete garbage, and not just "boilerplate". It's a bit better now than it was at release, but PoE low production value is 100% the reason why this game doesn't have 50k+ more avg players. Everything else works very well, from the combat mechanics to the setting to the loot system. I'd venture to say that in theory their art design is also very interesting but badly executed.

EDIT: like Warframe was as small as PoE when it was first released and if you compare the games it's like Warframe already was the loving god king of graphics, effects and animations in 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

whypick1 posted:

Edit: Oh, you're in Standard? Yeah, ditch this character and start fresh in Abyss.

Thanks to both, much appreciated!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

WhiteHowler posted:

Great +%life and +resist rolls, not so good on the +%armor. 5 slots, 3/2 links (I threw about five fusings at it to see if I could luck out on a 5+ link).

Looks like it could fetch 2 or 2.5 exalts right now. Do these normally go up in price later in a league?

the really important stat is the life and that is perfect with resist being 1 off. the armor doesnt matter. 2ex honestly seems low for a really close to perfect belly but i havent looked

not sure if it will go up. i think bellies have been staying fairly stable.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I started playing HC SSF and it's a different game than softcore, I enjoy both through. My HCSSF characters feel like a project I'm working on, whereas softcore is good for learning and exploring the game. Also, I chaos orb'd a weapon in act 3 in SSF and it felt good to actually just use currency, which I don't really do normally.

I'm at the end of act 4 as a righteous fire marauder and I'm still using sunder, I looked into farming a rise of the phoenix but the answer seems to be "the div cards are very rare, mosaic kite shields are pretty rare, but the unique itself will probably drop at some point for you after you farm level 65 stuff." How easy is it to sustain RF without the shield? When should I switch to RF? When I have max resist and purity of fire puts me to ~80%?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

WhiteHowler posted:

6 socket it, and then 6 link it yourself, this ones a keeper imo

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's a fun Raider QOTF build that's not Bows or KB? I was looking at Beltimber Blades for ST but I'm not really sure what you'd do for single target.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

st single target is usually just swapping gmp for slow proj

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Beltimber blades are 1ex apiece now. What the gently caress

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Jinnigan posted:

Beltimber blades are 1ex apiece now. What the gently caress

Mathil did an Arborix build semi-recently.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Beltimber's are also rarer. Grelwood Shanks are the cheap ones.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well from molten strike to volatile dead, it seems flaming balls rule everything around me

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

6 socket it, and then 6 link it yourself, this ones a keeper imo
My only build this league is GC totems, which I'm having a lot of fun with and basically requires a Soul Mantle (I got a 5-link one for a good price recently). I'm not sure I'd use it myself, to be honest.

Out of curiosity, on average how many jewelers and fusing does it take to 6L something like this? Other than a Tabula that dropped during Harbinger, I've never had a 6L, and 5L's have been pretty rare too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

6s is usually around 50-150 jewelers for me

6l average is probably somewhere around 500-600 fuses but its super high variance and can easily be 2k+

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Awesome! posted:

6s is usually around 50-150 jewelers for me

6l average is probably somewhere around 500-600 fuses but its super high variance and can easily be 2k+

Mark has previously said 6L probability is somewhere close to 1/1500, but that was back when fusings consumed quality (those dark, dark days) and is likely out of date.

Someone used 100,000 fusings to get a better sample and came out with a value between 1/836 and 1/1244 for 95% confidence. Of course, as noted in the post, the variance you can experience when using fusings involved getting a 6-link in 16 fuses and getting one after 3025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Speaking of 6Ls, here's the first one I've ever gotten - is this pretty much garbage, or is there any use for this? I haven't gotten any bites at 15c yet.

I'm lucky that I came across an exalted and sold it, though, I'm sitting at 97c now. Thinking of using them to fund a dual poet's pen Berserker build because that sounds hilarious and fun.