Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So how long until dfhack for the new version now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mister Bates posted:

Had my first forgotten beast of the new version, an enormous eyeless mayfly. It appeared in the caverns and then immediately fell over dead for reasons unknown, long before ever even seeing a dwarf.

I got a giant blob of vomit in a shell with a stinger. Troglodytes tore off the shell and stinger before I got the whole cavern to show up on my map.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
What effect does the material of a shield have? I know artifact bone armor is still complete poo poo, but what about an artifact bone buckler?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Did some quick testing in the arena to see and it looks like it's still true that shield material basically doesn't matter. I thought it might have changed since items take damage now, but it looks like shields still block just as well no matter what they're made of. I think the only situation where it comes up is if you block a fireball with a flammable shield.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Finally had an eventful raid, they killed like 7 goblins and humans, lost a dwarf after he killed some guys, ripped off a bunch of ears/limbs, and found nothing. Have not had a raid had so much happen I had to scroll down before. Not sure if the lost dwarf will show up as a ghost, I can't find them to engrave a slab so who knows. I have another squad where two members haven't come back for a year now, I've moved the rest of the squad to a new group except the commander as I can't issue orders (except to assign them to more raids) with missing members and I can't get rid of the squad commander while the people are traveling so he's on his own and maybe they'll show up one day.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mister Bates posted:

What effect does the material of a shield have? I know artifact bone armor is still complete poo poo, but what about an artifact bone buckler?

bucklers are complete poo poo but material doesn’t matter

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

A featherwood shield is the best shield you can get. It can even block dragonfire.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Well, you can raid other dwarf civs. I found a random dwarf town on the far side of the map that had a ton of artifacts and sent two squads of well trained dwarves in steel to raid it. When they returned the combat log was absolutely ridiculous. It went on and on and the battles were just gruesome. I thought it was funny at first but eventually it started to be a bit disturbing, lots of ripping and exploding. After walking away from the computer for a while and coming back, the log finally completed and somehow none of my dwarves were dead or injured. Maybe it had just been a heavily populated hillock, but I don't know. I returned to the game screen, the dwarves dropped all their artifacts at the map edge, and rhesus macaques immediately stole them. The civ screen listed me at war with that previously unknown Dwarven civ. I decided to savescum.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Luckily seems like the missing raid members and the dropping stolen artifacts at the map edge bugs were both fixed yesterday.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It's easy to forget how much essential poo poo DFhack adds until you go back to playing without it after using it for years

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

DFHack 0.44.03-alpha1 got released.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abrosheen posted:

It went on and on and the battles were just gruesome. I thought it was funny at first but eventually it started to be a bit disturbing, lots of ripping and exploding. After walking away from the computer for a while and coming back, the log finally completed and somehow none of my dwarves were dead or injured. Maybe it had just been a heavily populated hillock, but I don't know. I returned to the game screen, the dwarves dropped all their artifacts at the map edge, and rhesus macaques immediately stole them.

This is pretty peak Dwarf Fortress though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

O:                                                P <--- the hat that flew off my head, in response to these news

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I decided to try adventuring as a bark scorpion man, and promptly discovered that bogeymen are non-hostile towards bark scorpion men. I ended up with tons of food and plenty of bone crafts for trade by just leading the horde of bogeymen chasing me into a group of alligators.

e: apparently this is because bark scorpions are immune to fear and so can't be effected by bogeymen, so the bogeymen just follow me around trying unsuccessfully to scare me

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 26, 2017

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

This is pretty peak Dwarf Fortress though.

Yeah it is, but I'm struggling to find a good narrative reason why the two dwarf civs would not only be at war but would brutally savage each other right out of the gate. I'm going to focus on goblins and elves instead.

I'll tell you one thing, my entire fort feels absolutely nothing at all about watching rhesus macaques die.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting DF again and in adventure mode for the first time.

So is all I do really just asking about troubles and going to gently caress up whatever is troubling the town?

Also what do I do with money bc I have a ton of copper, gold, and silver from killing bandits

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Phi230 posted:

So is all I do really just asking about troubles and going to gently caress up whatever is troubling the town?

Also what do I do with money bc I have a ton of copper, gold, and silver from killing bandits

You should be able to go to a shop somewhere and buy stuff with it. I think you have to actually pick the item up and then go over to the shopkeep and haggle with them, unless it's been changed. Items for sale should be marked with dollar signs iirc.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

I decided to try adventuring as a bark scorpion man, and promptly discovered that bogeymen are non-hostile towards bark scorpion men. I ended up with tons of food and plenty of bone crafts for trade by just leading the horde of bogeymen chasing me into a group of alligators.

e: apparently this is because bark scorpions are immune to fear and so can't be effected by bogeymen, so the bogeymen just follow me around trying unsuccessfully to scare me

This entire post intrigues me.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Continuing my experiments with bark scorpion men and bogeymen, my butt of bogeys following you around will gently caress up anything that approaches you, including bandits and goblins

You also have a venom-injecting stinger that quickly immobilizes most dwarf-sized enemies, and if you start with some shield skill you'll spawn with your weapon of choice and five shields in your five off-hands

However, you're extremely vulnerable to blunt attacks (even punches can destroy limbs, since you have no bones) and bleed to death extremely quickly, so try not to get hit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Angry Diplomat posted:

You should be able to go to a shop somewhere and buy stuff with it. I think you have to actually pick the item up and then go over to the shopkeep and haggle with them, unless it's been changed. Items for sale should be marked with dollar signs iirc.

Phi230 posted:

there's not really anything you can do with money that you can't just steal from anything that isn't a shop. dwarf fortresses have barrels with hundreds of alcoholic drinks in them, everyone has bags of like 80 plump helmets or whatever and every castle or fort has a room full of various equipment

throw gold coins and decapitate people

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

You also have a venom-injecting stinger that quickly immobilizes most dwarf-sized enemies, and if you start with some shield skill you'll spawn with your weapon of choice and five shields in your five off-hands

pretty sure you can carry infinite# of shields in one hand in adventure mode now. also i learned the other day that if you're an elephant man or other massively sized thing, you can carry and use full size trap components as weapons in one hand, so i have an elephant man that walks around stabbing people with a menacing spike and chopping them up with a giant axe blade

they use misc. object user skill though

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is throwing still as hilariously broken as it was in 40d years back?

I remember making an adventurer who racked up dozens of kills by throwing handfuls of sand at people

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ive only really had luck throwing arrows and coins at people, i dunno. rocks have been mediocre so i havent tried sand

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really do wish military and combat would get reworked to be more transparent. I've played this game for ages and still don't have a good grasp on how this stuff works.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's insane that toady doesn't even play fortress mode even though it's clearly the best game ever made in its genre and probably the most popular mode. I get that it's so good because of the insane level of detail of the procedurals that make the world and that that's his primary focus but come on dude.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What would be a good biome if I want an interesting challenge? Feel like doing something different from usual ocean forts.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

make your embark big enough to cover a entire island and make your battle one against FPS death and only growing the population through natural birthrate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Embark on evil biomes until you find one that hits the sweet spot between near-instant death and "oh, the 'evil' is limited to blood rain and eyeball plants".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I moved the save to the new version and the missing squad members are still MIA, but I haven't had any new ones go MIA. I saw some goblin armies marching on some fellow dwarf forts even though I had no contact with either civilization so I sent a raid out (using the squad with missing members), they chopped up a goblin and rescued 8 humans, including a lord and lady, all of which requested sanctuary, and that goblin civilization declared war on us but hasn't sent anyone to bother me yet. Weirdly my squad was listed as a different name in the logs from the raid, but that might have been the name of the group of human refugees. I wish there was ways to just send ambassadors to fellow dwarf civs, but I'll settle for being Rescue Fort that punches all the goblins so hard they all get distracted and attack us instead.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone have any interesting worldgen seeds? The last three worlds I've generated have been kind of boring, the most recent one is in the middle of a decade-long period of peace and harmony with no wars, megabeast rampages, or significant thefts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just got a 61 zombie siege led by two necromancers, one dwarf and one human. The dwarf was killed and the human then fled, but the zombies ripped apart my tavern guests and made it down a few floors before the military cleaned them up. Not a single military dwarf was slain, but I now have one with a bad ankle wound who is doing nothing but weep in the center of the gore-fest remains of the tavern.

Nobody is dumping bodies yet, and the miasma is building.

Success!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does somebody have to hear my adventurer's claim to rulership in order for me to gain control over a site even if every single person who lived there is dead?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mister Bates posted:

Does somebody have to hear my adventurer's claim to rulership in order for me to gain control over a site even if every single person who lived there is dead?

There's some deep philosophy to be gleaned from this.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

As best I remember the answer is no btw you'll just get instantly named a Lord but good loving luck clearing any of the bigger places.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Well, I just found out what the nefarious vapor clouds at my fort do. I'm not sure how I was supposed to fight a "vapor thrall", but I wasn't capable of it.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Hide his bottle of vape juice.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fan it away with your shield or a piece of paper or something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gnoman posted:

Well, I just found out what the nefarious vapor clouds at my fort do. I'm not sure how I was supposed to fight a "vapor thrall", but I wasn't capable of it.

The loveliest bit is that if the vapor condensed on your dude, he'll make more just by punching people.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I generated a world that has been mostly depopulated by war, there's dozens upon dozens of hamlets which still show up as occupied but have a population of between 1 and 8 people. There are several whose sole inhabitant is the administrator in the mead-hall, sitting alone in the otherwise ruined village. There are a bunch of battles over towns in legends in the last few years of worldgen that are 3-5 attackers and 1-5 defenders.

It sounds cool but it's honestly kind of boring as an adventure mode world, there's nobody around to boast about my deeds to or regale with stories of my exploits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

scamtank posted:

The loveliest bit is that if the vapor condensed on your dude, he'll make more just by punching people.

This particular set of clouds didn't seem to leave any residue behind - that's a big part of how he got infected in the first place.