Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Bought any lottery tickets lately? Might wanna start there.

Also do not for any reason drive on a public road because you'll probably die when someone runs a red light.

But don't stay home either, it's probably gonna burn down.

But hey, lottery payout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

Now they’re going around asking people their salary so they can just pay them that with the promise that they’ll implement this market rate salary in the summer at their fiscal year start, along with retroactive pay.

If they don't even know what they pay me, I'd say double or triple.

Also, blah blah in writing, etc etc etc we all know how that goes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If they don't even know what they pay me, I'd say double or triple.

Also, blah blah in writing, etc etc etc we all know how that goes

Yeah I’m definitely not gonna be telling the truth. If they’re going try to be slick then I’m going to do the same.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

Now they’re going around asking people their salary

If anybody from HR came and asked me what my salary was I would quit on the spot because apparently the company lost all of their payroll data.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Inspector_666 posted:

If anybody from HR came and asked me what my salary was I would quit on the spot because apparently the company lost all of their payroll data.

We’re a contractor that they’re sucking in house.

They’re just straight up asking for pay stubs now. Can’t even bluff. With that said, they said the market rate would take effect in February as they’ve been saying. So at least they’re keeping their word and not Calvinballing. It’s a memo and not random directors asking now.

Still don’t know what the gently caress market rate means. I have a feeling this still isn’t going to end well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skooma512 posted:

We’re a contractor that they’re sucking in house.

They’re just straight up asking for pay stubs now. Can’t even bluff. With that said, they said the market rate would take effect in February as they’ve been saying. So at least they’re keeping their word and not Calvinballing. It’s a memo and not random directors asking now.

Still don’t know what the gently caress market rate means. I have a feeling this still isn’t going to end well.

Take a poll of 100 employees with the same job title / description and get their salary. Then group them into 'years experience' categories. Then take the smallest number from every category, and there you go, market rate.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our HR department has a subscription to economic institution service that gives them easy access to a bunch of compensation data that they can filter by title, industry and region, and other criteria.

They use this to determine compensation packages when hiring and approving raises.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Users: Spam is out of control! I sometimes get 6 to 10 spam messages a day in my inbox!
Me: Ok Sorry, I'll check again but policy right now is that spam settings need to be low to ensure we don't block customer emails. We are actually blocking 9000 spam emails a day, tough to get that last half a percent though.
Users: Unacceptable!

Me: Yesterday we switched to a new spam filter with quarantines enabled. Much less spam is getting through to inboxes. You only need to check the quarantine once a day.
Users: There's too much spam in my quarantine! It's too hard to look through it all to find legitimate messages!

And of course everybody here knows what happens when I push the spam sensitivity one notch too high and a single legitimate email is blocked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only winning move with email is to outsource that poo poo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This is step one, migrating to a cloud filter resold by the msp. Step two is offloading spam complaints to the msp so they can deal with it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Repeat after me: "Alright, I've made some adjustments to the Bayesian hyperfilter. It'll take some time for the changes to fully replicate. Keep an eye on it, and let me know if spam is still a problem next week."

Repeat as necessary.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Oh my God it's me, I'm the one pissing me off.

Hey idiot, if you're migrating to a new switch and start with a new uplink port, and then connect every cable from the old switch, you'll end up with a switching loop.

What a waste of an hour on Friday before Christmas weekend for a simple loving mistake. Chasing down oddities and weird behavior and DHCP servers and wifi configurations and packet captures.

Still done before 5 pm so it's not the end of the world but drat.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey idiot, if you're migrating to a new switch and start with a new uplink port, and then connect every cable from the old switch, you'll end up with a switching loop.

What a waste of an hour on Friday before Christmas weekend for a simple loving mistake. Chasing down oddities and weird behavior and DHCP servers and wifi configurations and packet captures.

Spanning-tree bro

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think that I shall never see
A graph more lovely than a tree.
A tree whose crucial property
Is loop-free connectivity.
A tree that must be sure to span
So packets can reach every LAN.
First, the root must be selected.
By ID, it is elected.
Least-cost paths from root are traced.
In the tree, these paths are placed.
A mesh is made by folks like me,
Then bridges find a spanning tree.
-Radia Perlman

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

By ID, it is elected.
-Radia Perlman

:golfclap:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This is a dumpster fire site we inherited. The 'core' is three garbage tier mismatch switches that are not programmed for spanning tree or any kind of security. Alas, I'm not allowed to access the config because the rear end in a top hat company that installed them (over 5 years ago) refuse to give me the config files to devices we own.

Step one is to install the new catalyst on the lower level today. Step two is to replace the 'core' with a 48 port catalyst next week, and gain full autonomy over the network.

Rebuilding duct-tape poo poo that's been rotting for 5 years loving sucks and there are bound to be mistakes along the way. By Q2 2018 this place is going to be solid as a rock.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is a dumpster fire site we inherited. The 'core' is three garbage tier mismatch switches that are not programmed for spanning tree or any kind of security. Alas, I'm not allowed to access the config because the rear end in a top hat company that installed them (over 5 years ago) refuse to give me the config files to devices we own.

Step one is to install the new catalyst on the lower level today. Step two is to replace the 'core' with a 48 port catalyst next week, and gain full autonomy over the network.

Rebuilding duct-tape poo poo that's been rotting for 5 years loving sucks and there are bound to be mistakes along the way. By Q2 2018 this place is going to be solid as a rock.

can't you download the config file from the device itself?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Aunt Beth posted:

By ID, it is elected.
-Radia Perlman

Radia is seriously awesome. I got to sit on on our of her fellow lectures for work and chat afterwords. Nerd :love:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Users: Spam is out of control! I sometimes get 6 to 10 spam messages a day in my inbox!
Me: Ok Sorry, I'll check again but policy right now is that spam settings need to be low to ensure we don't block customer emails. We are actually blocking 9000 spam emails a day, tough to get that last half a percent though.
Users: Unacceptable!

Me: Yesterday we switched to a new spam filter with quarantines enabled. Much less spam is getting through to inboxes. You only need to check the quarantine once a day.
Users: There's too much spam in my quarantine! It's too hard to look through it all to find legitimate messages!

And of course everybody here knows what happens when I push the spam sensitivity one notch too high and a single legitimate email is blocked.
I was that user, but I also said "I don't mind going through quarantine as long as you can cut down on the gross cold sales emails that I get every day."

At my last job I was about ready to request a whitelist for my email because it was getting so bad. I'd started to just send hostile emails to the cold callers, and set up appointments that I blew off (along with providing incorrect contact info). They'd just keep emailing me and ignore my nasty emails. "Hey, I'm sorry we seem to have missed our 2pm call. Can we reschedule?" [repeat 4 times daily]

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Installing VoIP phones to replace analog the Wednesday prior to a 4-dayholiday weekend. We're supposed to be on them as of today (tomorrow)...and yet,by Friday last, not a single handset had been programmed or a master extension list made. 3 phone lines and a fax line with nary a button to switch between.

Anyone have any experience with Allworx 9212Ls? I'm the non-official IT guy for non-critical issues and I'm the one that farts around with new stuff to see how it works.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I could have pissed me off today but almost nobody was working so I got away with my fuckup! I tweaked my employee termination script to close any open file handles a user has before archiving their home directory, rearchitected the function that does that, forgot to specify a complete path, and wound up deleting about 300 users’ home directories. Restored from backup and fixed permissions in about an hour with no calls to the help desk. Thank god for slow days!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Let me make this simple: I will not explicitly or tacitly approve of anyone here violating the terms of software licenses."

Perhaps that will be the end to a long, stupid series of discussions about the very expensive software we rely upon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've never understood businesses that try to pirate software. Why expose yourself to completely unnecessary risk? If you can't afford the tools you want, get different tools.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

And it's a mission-critical, industry-specific tool that every one that does what we do has, and must have. So you budget for the goddamn thing and you do it right. These people are dumb as poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

And it's a mission-critical, industry-specific tool that every one that does what we do has, and must have. So you budget for the goddamn thing and you do it right. These people are dumb as poo poo.

What they can't just do it in FileMaker? I have a copy from my last job around here somewhere.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've worked with some industry specific tools that got their start by someone saying those exact words.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What they can't just do it in FileMaker? I have a copy from my last job around here somewhere.

Don't you malign FileMaker! :argh:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't you malign FileMaker! :argh:

I once had a knock down drag out fight with a helpdesk guy about why setting up our entire CUSTOMER CRM in his own FileMaker system was a bad idea.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

I've never understood businesses that try to pirate software. Why expose yourself to completely unnecessary risk? If you can't afford the tools you want, get different tools.

At my current job, one of the things I did was make sure we're properly licensed for our software. Explaining to people that I wouldn't look for a pirated copy of something took some time to seep in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I get to start my 2-day week off right by 'being a mean rear end in a top hat' and telling people they can't just add fields willy nilly to our system.

Some wet around the ears 'data analyst' kid added a field to items called 'web item'. Hey, it's not like our items have a whole page of fields under 'web store' that could have this information!

Next up, sales is requesting that we add the following 'sales reps' to the 'sales rep' field

· Industrial
· Commercial
· Service
· Hospitality

Guess what motherfuckers, none of those are sales reps. They're departments. Which already exists as a field, so use that one.

We are making changes as of January for how to label customers/orders… this will help as a back up, instead of using house… which is generic today.

Why do you need a backup? Why do you insist on using fields for things that they aren't for? Why are you filling our shiny new system with lovely data?

I understand what you are saying and we are doing that… we are classifying orders by category starting January, we confirmed those with R last week also.… this is only to replace the rep “house” and “j” as reps. This will help to be a back up to classification. Service will still use their names, however we can have service as a generic one, instead of house for orders that don’t have a person entering them, but order entry instead.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
New phones are live. 2 lines out of 3+1 functional. No way to see which extensions are already on a line. 10 messages. No overhead paging.

God help us all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I get to start my 2-day week off right by 'being a mean rear end in a top hat' and telling people they can't just add fields willy nilly to our system.
Letting sales people have human rights was a mistake.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Letting sales people have human rights was a mistake.

What do you mean, "people"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha, he thinks he's people

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress salespeople. gently caress their demands. gently caress their 'well we already sold it so unless you want to upset my customer...' gently caress their canned lines they learned from salesdick seminars when they try to 'be your friend' when they want something. gently caress them in their asses

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress salespeople. gently caress their demands. gently caress their 'well we already sold it so unless you want to upset my customer...' gently caress their canned lines they learned from salesdick seminars when they try to 'be your friend' when they want something. gently caress them in their asses

See, this just encourages them. Makes them feel special and pretty.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Bob Morales posted:

I am getting out of the managed hosting business at last, and one of the best parts of my new job is how I won’t be supporting anything that got sold to a customer by some jerkwad who can’t be assed to get the opinion of anyone who knows what they’re doing before they promise the moon.

:yotj: continues in 2018, thank Dog.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This exact content is in the security+ cert so I imagine auditors are people who get a cursory glance into IT security and never learn enough to apply it to real-life scenarios.

If sec+ dickheads were in charge of user experience everything would be even more obtuse and unusable than it already is.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sixth and maimed posted:

At my current job, one of the things I did was make sure we're properly licensed for our software. Explaining to people that I wouldn't look for a pirated copy of something took some time to seep in.

My first action coming on board was to disable obviously stolen software. Goodbye backup exec and 99% of our monitoring tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

My first action coming on board was to disable obviously stolen software. Goodbye backup exec and 99% of our monitoring tools.

I'd rather make backups on paper by hand than use backup exec anyway.