Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Or just don't do the celebrity thing because it's boring.

rifles posted:

I have skipped every celebrity thing they've done this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Or just don't do the celebrity thing because it's boring. I don't know who any of these people are.

And yet they are spending real money on it - next week or the week after Penn Jillette will be on. He has already said he is being flown to England, doing the lap, then flying back to Vegas.

That's a lot of money on what might be politely be called a B-lister - and he doesn't even have a tie-in show to promote.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm enjoying learning who these relatively unknown people are and why they're interesting - seems better to me than seeing Tom loving Cruise for the nth time :shrug: It's not like they'd film extra primary segments in replacement of the SIARPC bits anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

evilbastard posted:

And yet they are spending real money on it - next week or the week after Penn Jillette will be on. He has already said he is being flown to England, doing the lap, then flying back to Vegas.

That's a lot of money on what might be politely be called a B-lister - and he doesn't even have a tie-in show to promote.

If there's one thing Amazon has, and it probably is only one thing, it's money.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

evilbastard posted:

Penn Jillette is at least entertaining so I'm sure he could make for some good banter. Who's he driving against?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Xelkelvos posted:

Penn Jillette is at least entertaining so I'm sure he could make for some good banter. Who's he driving against?

Ayn Rand's ghost for the 'Fastest lovely Libertarian?'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ayn Rand's ghost for the 'Fastest lovely Libertarian?'

She can't afford a car with her social security income.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm way more bothered by the sponsorship stuff that the Celebrity stuff. Especially when it crosses over and Clarkson having a $$ interest in that movie. The whole drat point of Top Gear being what it was is that there were no sponsorship money things in it, at least obviously. Just their character-biases against electric cars and Tesla and all that, but nothing like "Well I have to call Jet Blue to make a funny joke heh!!!!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As long as there are no car based advertisement, they should be able to remain unbiased. When Clarkson says the new hellcat is the greatest car of all time while driving past a big Dodge banner, I'll start complaining. Otherwise I don't really care and I ignore it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Aside from the fact that none of that stuff Jeremy tried would work, it was beyond unbelievable too because JetBlue doesn’t have any classes, there’s only economy. At least pick one of the other airlines that has a domestic first class

This bothered the poo poo out of me. Also they showed the sign for Scranton PA like 3 times, including when Jeremy was past Syracuse. :mediocre:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Not sure if it really belongs in this thread but the latest season of /Drive from NBC Sports was released digitally and I actually liked it more than some of the Grand Tour segments. It doesn't come across quite as scripted but the short episode time doesn't help it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

This seasons eps are like 1 hr car ads. Wheres the interesting challenges and fun stuff

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Paddington is a charming movie and everyone should watch it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
'it's too scripted'

well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zbimJexQJA

quote:

'Unscripted': In this episode Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to show what would happen if The Grand Tour made a completely unscripted film with no pre-arranged locations, no set-up stunts, and no planned incidents. All they agree is that the starting point will be in Croatia, where Jeremy arrives in an Audi TT RS, Richard turns up with a not-at-all-comparable Ariel Nomad, and James brings along an old Lada which he has decided to turn into a fire engine. What follows is a demonstration of why some kind of script is generally a good thing. Also in this show, Richard takes the new McLaren 720S to the Eboladrome and in Celebrity Face Off Michael Ball goes head-to-head against Alfie Boe to find the worlds fastest classical singer with an interesting connection to the British motor industry.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
spoilers: the "unscripted" bit is going to be as obviously scripted as the rest of the show.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I enjoy this show and am glad that it exists.

I purport that if you can't watch this show and enjoy it, you're a motherfucker and probably not very much fun at parties.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I purport that if you can't watch this show and enjoy it, you're a motherfucker and probably not very much fun at parties.

"But you see, the original DnD is truest to the grand vision of Gygax, and all the other editions are mere imitations dumbed down for a generation that lacks the cognitive abilities required for REAL tabletop gaming. Such inferior editions could never be fun for any real gamer and I will remind you of this constantly over the entire duration of our DnD5 campaign. Also, new TGT is unwatchable and a mere imitation of pre-punch TG."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Jeremy sees himself as a decent enough interviewer and has fun bantering with the guests, that's why "celeb interviews" and their timed laps are back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope it will be good. It definitely seems like they each brought something that matches them. Jeremy would want to see how the TT is. Richard would want to try out the Nomad. James just loves weird old cars and would want to turn it into a fire engine anyway.

CornHolio posted:

I can't stand people who endlessly bitch about something not being the same. Top Gear posted a video on facebook about the new season and it's full of people saying "I won't watch because of Joey" or "This isn't the same, I will never watch this." Then loving unfollow Top Gear on facebook then. Why do people feel the need to endlessly poo poo on everything?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I can't stand people who endlessly bitch about something not being the same. Top Gear posted a video on facebook about the new season and it's full of people saying "I won't watch because of Joey" or "This isn't the same, I will never watch this." Then loving unfollow Top Gear on facebook then. Why do people feel the need to endlessly poo poo on everything?

It really is OK to negative feedback. This is a discussion forum after all, unless you want the thread to read like someones eBay feedback.

Cacafuego posted:

Aside from the fact that none of that stuff Jeremy tried would work, it was beyond unbelievable too because JetBlue doesnt have any classes, theres only economy. At least pick one of the other airlines that has a domestic first class

I dont even understand how this is good advertising for JetBlue. The take away is JetBlue has no security in place whatsoever.

I dont understand why they feel the need to constantly explain things for Americans. I wonder how much of that is from Amazon producers versus their own insecurity. They really seem to stress that they are still British.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

It really is OK to negative feedback. This is a discussion forum after all, unless you want the thread to read like someones eBay feedback.

"This isn't exactly the same as it was before so it's poo poo now" isn't constructive feedback.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, but I dont really see anyone here doing that. I wasnt necessarily responding directly to you, just the general idea brought up by cornholio. Anyway as has been mentioned before, I think the problem is they ran out of ideas about 3 seasons ago in old new top gear, so we may just be expecting too much for this to be any better. I think the first season of Joey Top Gear (after Evans was gone) was better than TGT for the most part.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This weeks Conversation Street was brutal against Hammond, loved it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

CBJamo posted:

Clarkson's family has a connection, and possibly financial stake, in Paddington. http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/10/story-paddington-bear-jeremy-clarkson

Clarksons got child support and alimony to pay.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah, but I dont really see anyone here doing that. I wasnt necessarily responding directly to you, just the general idea brought up by cornholio. Anyway as has been mentioned before, I think the problem is they ran out of ideas about 3 seasons ago in old new top gear, so we may just be expecting too much for this to be any better. I think the first season of Joey Top Gear (after Evans was gone) was better than TGT for the most part.

I am more referring to statements like the following:

SpannerX posted:

I can't say that I'm overly happy with this season so far. Maybe they should just hang up their spurs and call it done. I think they are played out.

Some of us genuinely enjoy it, leave us be. I will be very sad if this show goes away because people bitch about some of the jokes and challenges being "played out."

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Some of us genuinely enjoy it, leave us be. I will be very sad if this show goes away because people bitch about some of the jokes and challenges being "played out."

I totally agree. It may not be the absolute best material they have put out, but I enjoy the current format and look forward to watching it every week.
If you do not like the show, then just don't watch it.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Hey! I'm not hate watching the show, I'm just pointing out that it's not as good as previous top gear seasons. I will admit it is better than last season.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CornHolio posted:

I don't think the future of the show relies, at all, on comments on something awful. Instead it will be what Amazon hears from the public (probably Twitter I guess?) and telling people on SA that they are critical incorrectly isn't to stop that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

I don't think the future of the show relies, at all, on comments on something awful. Instead it will be what Amazon hears from the public (probably Twitter I guess?) and telling people on SA that they are critical incorrectly isn't to stop that.

Oh it's far from the only time or the only place I've seen that. Every season of Top Gear was like that as well. Every episode was met with "These guys should just hang it up," or "this is becoming too scripted" or "let's all watch this lovely youtube channel instead."

The more car-oriented shows the better, I say. Keep Top Gear around, keep Grand Tour around, keep all the other shows around. Enjoy them all, or only some. Whatever. That's what I say.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Last week's ep didn't do it for me but as a whole i'I've enjoyed the series/season.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Its possible that Hammonds injury really hosed with their season and what they had planned

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This season has been pretty entertaining for me. I've loved every episode and think it's loads better than it was last season.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I have watched all the celeb segments. They were all fine. Good even.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Its possible that Hammonds injury really hosed with their season and what they had planned

Yeah, well, maybe they shouldn't put him in a fast supercar on the side of a mountain until the END of the season next time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

rifles posted:

I have skipped every celebrity thing they've done this season.

They're just boring as hell.

How could you possibly know that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I prefer the car challenges over auto films so this season hasn't been all that great to me so far

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
On a positive note, I really like this year's theme song compared to last year's.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
That was some appalling continuity

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Unscripted". Stupid gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Insuring Hammond must be hilariously expensive. I'm just rewatching the euro road trip 2 and Hammond stuffs a jag as well.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 29, 2017