Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Daniels posted:

Happy Monday Tradeing lol gl

https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes/status/944623459958530048

lol even though it is beautiful to watch this thing drop it is now on my radar potentially :shepspends:

It's me. I'm a HMNY bagholder. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If I would have just held FSLR like originally intended I'd have more than doubled my initial investment.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Trash Trick posted:

If I would have just held FSLR like originally intended I'd have more than doubled my initial investment.

Holy smokes are they doing well.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Triglav posted:

That's M0, which is just physical currency. Most dollars are electronic (checking, savings, credit cards, etc). MZM is currently 15.2 trillion https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MZM

It doesn't matter either way because market cap for cryptos is a joke. Crypto folks don't adjust for float, probably in part because no one knows what it would realistically be. It's thought that a third of all bitcoin are lost, so those wouldn't be counted, nor would any bitcoin held by long-term hodlers since theirs aren't available for trading.

M0 is more than physical currency isn’t it? It also includes cash-like assets which are highly liquid. Straight up federal reserve notes may be a more apt comparison, especially in the eyes of someone who thinks bitcoin is the new “money”. After all, it’s banksters and their fractional reserve money multiplication tricks that diehard crypto believers think are evil. When compared to actual printed notes (and coins I guess) it’s more like 1.6t.

Which makes it even more hilarious that a few days ago these cryptos were “worth” a quarter or more of all the physical US dollars in the world.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

nnnotime posted:

Simple answer for a simple question (sarcasm):

http://money.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-money-markets-one-visualization-2017/

Global money supply is estimated at $90.4 trillion. Though I don't think that could all be cashed out in that value to local non-USD currencies all at once.

Cool ty

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

M0 is more than physical currency isn’t it? It also includes cash-like assets which are highly liquid. Straight up federal reserve notes may be a more apt comparison, especially in the eyes of someone who thinks bitcoin is the new “money”. After all, it’s banksters and their fractional reserve money multiplication tricks that diehard crypto believers think are evil. When compared to actual printed notes (and coins I guess) it’s more like 1.6t.

Which makes it even more hilarious that a few days ago these cryptos were “worth” a quarter or more of all the physical US dollars in the world.

M0 would include deposits by banks with the Fed, yes. But it doesn't include the contents of your checking account, which would be in M1, nor does it include the contents of your savings account, which would be in M2.

Anything you buy with a debit or credit card would be paid with money accounted for in M1 (or M2, if you overdraft), and there is much more of that electronic money in our economy than physical money.

When the Fed increases the monetary base to "print money," when those reserves are eventually used to purchase treasuries or loaned, it becomes accounted for under M2. If you account for just physical Fed notes issued by the Mint/Treasury, you are accounting for an incredibly small subset of Fed notes, most of which exists outside of the United States.

MZM is everything that can move this second: cash, coin, checking, savings, money market. The "ZM" stands for "zero maturity." It excludes T-bills, CDs, and other time deposits, even though those can generally be resold before maturity. But that reselling would involve a transaction of currency already accounted for under MZM, so there's no need to double count.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

It's me. I'm a HMNY bagholder. :negative:

holding from right before the epic gap down, or...?

good luck goon

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

$BTC

https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes/status/945068938785734656

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Robinhood posted:

Hi dougdrums,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It seems as though there was a bug that allowed non-beta group Robinhood users to access Web.

If you were not apart of the initial beta group, and was somehow able to access it recently, your access has now been removed.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused!

Sincerely,
The Robinhood Team

I thought I was in the first beta group ... until I wasn't one day. Thanks dudes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
New US weed ETF: MJX (Website, Yahoo Finance)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Accretionist posted:

New US weed ETF: MJX (Website, Yahoo Finance)

https://www.greenmarketreport.com/etf-switches-latin-america-marijuana/

quote:

Prior to December 26, 2017, the ETF was based upon the total return of an entirely different index, the Solactive Latin America Real Estate Index (previously the Tierra XP Latin America Real Estate ETF, ticker symbol: LARE).

The ETF has 31 holdings, has $5.7 million in assets and is rebalanced quarterly. As of September 30, the fund has returned a 20.23% increase in the NAV and an 18.15% increase in market value, yet these performance figures are based on the returns of the Latin America Real Estate Index, not the new marijuana holdings.

Well, it doesn't inspire confidence, but I have to admit that a radical change seems to have worked (at least for the past month) for RIOT...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ll stick with TWMJF and ACBFF.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

all the sketchy OTC stocks with Classic Sketchy Ticker Symbols that have 5 letters and end in "F" :yum:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Something like 20% of that is established tobacco companies.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

dougdrums posted:

Something like 20% of that is established tobacco companies.

I'd imagine that they're going to make a lot of money off of legal weed eventually, so that makes sense

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What are you guys looking at for 2018? If you say Bitcoin you lose a testicle

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bitcoin has to go up, where else am I going to park the money I got from Grandma this Christmas?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Weed stocks today :getin:

CVE:MJN is taking off, my cost basis is 4.12

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yeah thanks to this thread for the heads up, wish I'd gotten in last week or earlier but isn't that always the case. In for CBWTF and SPLIF

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Out of PEGI, end of an era. Made 25% annually over two years, not bad at all.

paternity suitor posted:

What are you guys looking at for 2018? If you say Bitcoin you lose a testicle

Ag commodities going into an up cycle. Yields have been at record highs, which might finally come down with La Nina weather and broke US farmers dying off (literally). Made good money already on SLCE3 (SLCJY) down in Brazil. Generally international will be the best way to play it because of stronger US dollar (remember spot commodity prices are based in USD).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MJX is tradeable on Robin Hood now for all your tobacco company weed needs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

fougera posted:

Out of PEGI, end of an era. Made 25% annually over two years, not bad at all.

Ag commodities going into an up cycle. Yields have been at record highs, which might finally come down with La Nina weather and broke US farmers dying off (literally). Made good money already on SLCE3 (SLCJY) down in Brazil. Generally international will be the best way to play it because of stronger US dollar (remember spot commodity prices are based in USD).

Should I buy farmland?

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
This is a really stupid beginner question but I'm afraid of doing something wrong and ending up with extra commission charges or taxes, etc.

1. Where exactly do I look to know when stocks were purchased on a fidelity brokerage account (and thus if they would be subject to short term or long term capital gains taxes when sold)? A relative gifted me some stock in a particular company but I'd like to diversify it a bit. As I understand it the tax rate is based on when he made the purchase but I'm not sure when that is and want to verify either way/know for the future.

2. Is selling with a limit order at the current trading price and having the order expire at the end of the day the way to go for a beginner just trying to make a reasonably efficient sale? How long will it take before the sale completes and funds are available to put into, say, an index fund?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

drat Your Eyes! posted:

This is a really stupid beginner question but I'm afraid of doing something wrong and ending up with extra commission charges or taxes, etc.

1. Where exactly do I look to know when stocks were purchased on a fidelity brokerage account (and thus if they would be subject to short term or long term capital gains taxes when sold)? A relative gifted me some stock in a particular company but I'd like to diversify it a bit. As I understand it the tax rate is based on when he made the purchase but I'm not sure when that is and want to verify either way/know for the future.

2. Is selling with a limit order at the current trading price and having the order expire at the end of the day the way to go for a beginner just trying to make a reasonably efficient sale? How long will it take before the sale completes and funds are available to put into, say, an index fund?

If you've got the account info, it will let you look up your cost basis.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

drat Your Eyes! posted:

What do you mean reasonably efficient sale?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Jebus. I got into HMMJ (Canadian Weed ETF) in October (before the current run-up). I got out up 10% - and was pretty happy about that until I looked back at the chart a week later. Then I got into IIPR (after some kind soul mentioned it here)... and got out after 10%. Both were totally cynical plays: I had no confidence in any of the companies in particular, but I figured the hype would float all boats. But I didn't want to stay in because it seemed a bit crazy. Speaking of which, acquaintance of mine just cashed out $1M of Bitcoin.

I've done quite well this year I think... and I'm feeling very bitter about it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

jmzero posted:

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you've got the account info, it will let you look up your cost basis.

As I understand it that tells me what the taxable amount is but not if it would be short or long term gains which is what I'm mainly after. I found an "acquired"date from 2015 under purchase history, am I correct that this means that selling would put it under the lower long term tax rate?

quote:

What do you mean reasonably efficient sale?

I'm hoping to transition to something I'd hold for a while, so I mean I'm not worried about maximizing down to the cent or anything. I was all set to sell via market order basically because it seemed the most straight forward but an article I found said that's a bad idea because the price could plummet and most are better off with limit orders. I also see stop losses, trailing stop losses, etc as sale options but I'm assuming those are more for those trying to dump dropping stocks rather than trying to just change stuff up on an average day.

Thanks goons-- this is my first attempt stepping beyond a retirement account and I'm finding it all very interesting but am still trying to grasp the various options and vocabulary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

drat Your Eyes! posted:

As I understand it that tells me what the taxable amount is but not if it would be short or long term gains which is what I'm mainly after. I found an "acquired"date from 2015 under purchase history, am I correct that this means that selling would put it under the lower long term tax rate?

poo poo it's more complicated - you got this stock as a gift, right?

https://www.key.com/html/investment-taxes-articles.html

This article says you just get to use his cost basis and timeline - meaning this sale would be LTCG yes.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

jmzero posted:

New thread title?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Should I buy farmland?

If you're serious, lets talk. I literally am a farmer and grow poo poo for a living.

When I came back to the family farm in 2012, bare land was selling for ~$10-12k/acre. It peaked up to $20k-$22k/acre for class I soil, and has come back down to $15k-$18k. Many companies (banks, investment group, wealthy [>$1b] individuals) were coming into the area, buying bare land, developing it into orchards (almonds, walnuts, pistachios) at a cost of around $5-$8k/acre, and turning around to sell it for $30k+/acre. They essentially priced farmers out of the equation, and now finally, prices are starting to come back down. The amount of acres purchased and developed were directly following the nut prices for a couple years. Prices went from $.90/pound up to $1.80+/pound for walnuts, but crashed in 2015 down to $.85/pound. Things have since stabilized in the $1 - $1.15 range.

If you're really interested, I could go into more detail.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

jvick posted:

If you're serious, lets talk. I literally am a farmer and grow poo poo for a living.

When I came back to the family farm in 2012, bare land was selling for ~$10-12k/acre. It peaked up to $20k-$22k/acre for class I soil, and has come back down to $15k-$18k. Many companies (banks, investment group, wealthy [>$1b] individuals) were coming into the area, buying bare land, developing it into orchards (almonds, walnuts, pistachios) at a cost of around $5-$8k/acre, and turning around to sell it for $30k+/acre. They essentially priced farmers out of the equation, and now finally, prices are starting to come back down. The amount of acres purchased and developed were directly following the nut prices for a couple years. Prices went from $.90/pound up to $1.80+/pound for walnuts, but crashed in 2015 down to $.85/pound. Things have since stabilized in the $1 - $1.15 range.

If you're really interested, I could go into more detail.

I live in Eastern Iowa, in some of the most fertile corn and soybean farmland in human history. 12k an acre is what I keep reading. I don't know if it's an asset class that makes sense for me yet and I certainly don't have free time to farm it myself, but I know I want to be here a long time and I know a couple of older farmers who are getting toward selling their land.

Nobody's growing anything but C&SB here.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Was bored today and threw together a quick model for TWMJF out of curiosity. They seem to really dump their COGS into Q4. Not too familiar with agriculture, so I figure there's seasonality behind that, but a Q/Q COGS ramp of [2,779 / 3,400 / 10,950 / 45,195] is pretty crazy regardless. And then Q1 it drops back down to 6,848. That exact pattern goes back a couple years as well.

Edit: Agricultural accounting seems pretty interesting at a glance; going to assume commodities are similar. No real experience with either.

Zerstorung fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 27, 2017

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So in the interest of talking my book, has the tax plan or anything regulatory (EPA or whatnot) had a positive effect on your communities?

I feel like if land prices are going down, that could also be a tell that productio ncould be coming off line (not just crop prices stink generally).

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I live in Eastern Iowa, in some of the most fertile corn and soybean farmland in human history. 12k an acre is what I keep reading. I don't know if it's an asset class that makes sense for me yet and I certainly don't have free time to farm it myself, but I know I want to be here a long time and I know a couple of older farmers who are getting toward selling their land.

Nobody's growing anything but C&SB here.

I think what would be best for you, would be to buy a comfortable amount of land for yourself, maybe 20-50 acres for farm-able ground with a house, and lease it out to a farmer in the area. A realtor in your area should have a general idea on what you could get as a lease rate. Or call your county farm bureau office. Around here, for existing land, lease rates are 15-25%. That should more than make up for your property taxes at least.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

jvick posted:

I think what would be best for you, would be to buy a comfortable amount of land for yourself, maybe 20-50 acres for farm-able ground with a house, and lease it out to a farmer in the area. A realtor in your area should have a general idea on what you could get as a lease rate. Or call your county farm bureau office. Around here, for existing land, lease rates are 15-25%. That should more than make up for your property taxes at least.

I'll put a word out to my farm bureau. I've also gotta make sure the wife and relatives are as interested as I am.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone know why TWMJF was up 12% today? I can't find any news. Makes me uncomfortable and wanting to sell.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'll put a word out to my farm bureau. I've also gotta make sure the wife and relatives are as interested as I am.

Cash rents vs crop rents are also a distinction to be aware of, cash rents are like a regular rent stream, while crop rents are based on a proportion of what is left of the harvest value after deducting for seed, fertilizer, pesticides, etc.

Various conservation programs can also be good cash flow options for rural land, then you can hunt it too: https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/conservation-programs/conservation-reserve-program/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone know why TWMJF was up 12% today? I can't find any news. Makes me uncomfortable and wanting to sell.

/r/weedstocks or :mexico:

Edit: josh for the love of god do not sell your weed stocks, let your winners run

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 28, 2017