Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I do figure what she can do is something a reasonable user could do but the advanced poo poo takes a lot. Even Snoke said I thought that he facilitated their Force conversations

Yeah, in the throne room scene, Snoke says he linked their minds so he could discover where Luke was hiding or something.

Ginette Reno posted:

Rey gets what seems like even less training from Luke than Luke got from Yoda and yet she can move twenty rocks at once with ease and kick all kinds of rear end with a lightsaber. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think it's fair enough. Anakin was able to use the Force intuitively to fly a podracer and then climb into a starfighter he'd never seen before and pilot it in a space battle and the sum total of his training at the time was about zero. As far as the lightsaber fighting goes, Rey already has fighting skills, so I'm happy to suppose that her connection to the Force amplifies them. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm going by what the movies have actually established. Luke the son of Darth Vader received what seemed to be weeks or months of training from Yoda. Despite that, he was not particularly effective with the Force in ESB. By Jedi he started being able to do things.

Rey gets what seems like even less training from Luke than Luke got from Yoda and yet she can move twenty rocks at once with ease and kick all kinds of rear end with a lightsaber. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

With Luke there was a clear progression of ability. With Rey she's just a Mary Sue who instantly can do everything. I'm fine with her having tremendous raw power and whatever but the previous movies seemed to establish that no matter how inherently strong someone is the Force still takes practice to use.

In the prequels we see that there are a whole shitload of Jedi at various levels of ability and they come from all different worlds and presumably very different backgrounds. So I don't think we can just look at Vader, Luke, and Yoda and presume to know what the "normal" trajectory of a Jedi's ability would be.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm going by what the movies have actually established. Luke the son of Darth Vader received what seemed to be weeks or months of training from Yoda. Despite that, he was not particularly effective with the Force in ESB. By Jedi he started being able to do things.

With Luke there was a clear progression of ability. With Rey she's just a Mary Sue who instantly can do everything. I'm fine with her having tremendous raw power and whatever but the previous movies seemed to establish that no matter how inherently strong someone is the Force still takes practice to use.

When she's stuck with grumpy no training Luke, part of her daily routine was combat training with her staff. She was already a better hand to hand fighter than Luke was when their respective first movies started.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The worst part about Star Wars fans is the worst part about Dragon Ball Z fans: the obsession about power levels. "Clearly Gohan shouldn't be able to use Force Lightning at his levels of midichlorians, nevermind Rey being able to use the Kamehameha". Half of Luke's scenes were basically "the Force is fuckin' everywhere, you can do whatever with it because it's everything", why do people have to level up and spec into a skillset when it's just magic?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the idea that the son of Anakin Skywalker turned out to be just a run of the mill Jedi, but his connection to Anakin saved him and the galaxy. The real power comes from nobodies like Rey and slave boy Anakin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

In the prequels we see that there are a whole shitload of Jedi at various levels of ability and they come from all different worlds and presumably very different backgrounds. So I don't think we can just look at Vader, Luke, and Yoda and presume to know what the "normal" trajectory of a Jedi's ability would be.

That's just it though. Those three are exceptional even among Jedi, yet we know that it took Luke three movies to become a competent fighter and force user. Anakin and Luke both displayed exceptional natural talent in piloting pod racers and making trick shots on the Death Star but after Ep1 Anakin had years of training with Obi-Wan to explain his progression and after Ep4 Luke could barely summon a Lightsaber to save himself from a Wampa and then had what seemed like weeks or months of training with Yoda which still left him all but helpless against Vader.

Meanwhile Rey beats Kylo despite having no training with the Force and then looks like a master duelist despite having like three lessons from Luke. And then she can still compete with Kylo in that little battle of wills they had over the Lightsaber despite Kylo being described as powerful and with him having way more training than she has had.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ginette Reno posted:

Meanwhile Rey beats Kylo despite having no training with the Force and then looks like a master duelist despite having like three lessons from Luke. And then she can still compete with Kylo in that little battle of wills they had over the Lightsaber despite Kylo being described as powerful and with him having way more training than she has had.

Rey beats an injured Kylo Ren that gets caught by surprise. She IS already a very skilled hand-to-hand fighter and they establish that very early - the lightsaber is just another weapon. During the Red Guard fight she has trouble one-on-one while Kylo deals with three dudes at once, and she STRUGGLES against him until the lightsaber blows up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

That's just it though. Those three are exceptional even among Jedi, yet we know that it took Luke three movies to become a competent fighter and force user. Anakin and Luke both displayed exceptional natural talent in piloting pod racers and making trick shots on the Death Star but after Ep1 Anakin had years of training with Obi-Wan to explain his progression and after Ep4 Luke could barely summon a Lightsaber to save himself from a Wampa and then had what seemed like weeks or months of training with Yoda which still left him all but helpless against Vader.

The only Jedi that's shown to be exceptional(not for a regular person remember, for a Jedi) is Anakin. In ANH the Jedi are almost extinct, so Luke is exceptional simply for the fact that he is sensitive to the Force. At the height of the Jedi we have no idea how he would have stacked up against the rest, whether he'd have been average or something more. Maybe Luke is rather dull and a slow learner compared to the average Padawan 500 years ago.

Even Anakin's status is questionable, you can easily read the prequels as a prophecy being fulfilled via confirmation bias, and that the Jedi saw the Chosen One in him because they wanted to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

The worst part about Star Wars fans is the worst part about Dragon Ball Z fans: the obsession about power levels. "Clearly Gohan shouldn't be able to use Force Lightning at his levels of midichlorians, nevermind Rey being able to use the Kamehameha". Half of Luke's scenes were basically "the Force is fuckin' everywhere, you can do whatever with it because it's everything", why do people have to level up and spec into a skillset when it's just magic?

It's not Dragon Ball Z so much as it is RPG stuff; Rey needs more XP so she can level up and obtain the "Proficient Lightsaber Duellist" attribute. Look at Knights of the Old Republic, for instance. Fans (and other EU writers) decided that Revan must have been the most powerful Force user who ever lived because s/he's an RPG player character and you can max out all of his/her stats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

If this is the winning theory, all I can say is hahaha gently caress this movie.

You do not kill a character like Luke loving Skywalker from exertion. And if you DO go that route you make sure it's something way the gently caress more epic than a long distance Total Recall trick, like sucking their entire fleet into a Goddamn gravity well or something, or go full on over the top and have him crash a Star Destroyer or something.

I disliked the movie a lot but I feel like you're missing the point of a lot of the original trilogy with this. Force powers are very useful but they were never shown as capable of what you want, and it would've lessened Luke's character by ultimately giving Kylo exactly what he wanted.

Basebf555 posted:

The only Jedi that's shown to be exceptional(not for a regular person remember, for a Jedi) is Anakin. In ANH the Jedi are almost extinct, so Luke is exceptional simply for the fact that he is sensitive to the Force. At the height of the Jedi we have no idea how he would have stacked up against the rest, whether he'd have been average or something more. Maybe Luke is rather dull and a slow learner compared to the average Padawan 500 years ago.

Vader believed he met the qualifications for a Jedi after seeing his lightsaber and Luke started ~8 years after Anakin did, and Anakin started relatively late for a Jedi. Maybe Luke wouldn't have matched up against Anakin before he was crippled but he was definitely not a slow learner.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ginette Reno posted:

Well in the original trilogy showed restraint probably due to what special effects could do at the time and didn't get into the DBZ levels of power creep that the prequels and new films have where everything has to be bigger and flashier because CGI makes it possible. No one wants to see the same slow character build that Luke went through and the limited uses the Force had, it's all about instant satisfaction which ironically gets incredibly boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Force can literally do anything if you believe hard enough. it can even make a woman pregnant.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What is it with Dragonball and people bringing it up in these power level discussions?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sponges posted:

What is it with Dragonball and people bringing it up in these power level discussions?

Power levels are an iconic thing for western Dragon Ball fans and Dragon Ball is iconic for a lot of people born in the 90s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

precision posted:

the Force can literally do anything if you believe hard enough. it can even make a woman pregnant.

So Shmee getting pregnant by "the force" just means she had a good pounding?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Power levels are an iconic thing for western Dragon Ball fans and Dragon Ball is iconic for a lot of people born in the 90s

Which is funny given that the point of power levels in Dragon ball was that putting a number to fighting power is actually really dumb (this is why people with scouters get surprise-wrecked all the time)

I am aware that that has nothing to do with star wars but Rey being able to use the force very well is... totally fine. I mean it is, as another poster said, magic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

These Star War movies are over analyzed

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's also the possibility that Rey is simply the most powerful Force user we've ever been shown in Star Wars. The Chosen One, if you will.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It certainly makes sense that we're talking about ability levels in anime and role playing games when a far more reasonable analogue would be physical ability, which has innate components which determine rate of improvement and generally dictate a maximum practical ability, but also repeated training.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

If this is the winning theory, all I can say is hahaha gently caress this movie.

You do not kill a character like Luke loving Skywalker from exertion. And if you DO go that route you make sure it's something way the gently caress more epic than a long distance Total Recall trick, like sucking their entire fleet into a Goddamn gravity well or something, or go full on over the top and have him crash a Star Destroyer or something.

It's quite possible you're not wrong. It's probably more likely than my "Maybe the matter-transfer thing meant his organs got microwaved by a light saber" but it is dumb as all Goddamn hell.

Said it before, will say it again.. if they ended with him raising up that X-Wing instead of just poofing, I think the whole movie reaction would have ended on such a positive note it'd gone over much better. It'd also make it feel like we actually accomplished SOMETHING, shaking Luke out of retirement to come take on former student. It'd been great so they went the other way.

Then why didn't it kill any of them?

It doesn't really make sense. It's a coin toss right now even why it happened.

It was a stupid loving way to die, that much I hope most people can agree on whatever the cause. I'd actually been way more OK with him being gibbed by 50 AT-ATs.

He didn't "die from exertion". He exerted himself, finished what he set out to do, and became one with the force. The visual language is incredibly explicit here, there's a reason he doesn't just collapse and die, and instead peacefully stares off into the horizon before fading away.

Saying Luke should have been "shaken out of retirement" misses the point of the character and the film. He's done fighting. His triumph in this movie was inspiring the next generation and giving them the hope and chance they needed to do it themselves. "we are what they grow beyond".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love what a drastic misreading it is of literally every Star Wars film to think that Luke Skywalker's eventual ending should involve him killing a bunch of people with Force Magic Missile or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

There's also the possibility that Rey is simply the most powerful Force user we've ever been shown in Star Wars. The Chosen One, if you will.

Snoke seems more powerful with Force than her tho.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Upon seeing Anakin

Qui Gon: “ITS OVER 9000...MIDOCHLORIANS!”

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Why is it odd that Rey is so good? Luke is "the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories" and is able to not just not die, but be tremendously effective his very first time in an X-Wing. Immediate hyper-competence is like a thing for Star War characters.

Anakin could do something that apparently almost no other human can, and he was like fuckin 9 years old. He also manages to not die in a pitched space battle

Rey being talented is not a stretch

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

I meant potentially, he's obviously has many many years to improve his abilities.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

The ability to move people through the air is insignificant next to actually understanding the Force.

ImpAtom posted:

I love what a drastic misreading it is of literally every Star Wars film to think that Luke Skywalker's eventual ending should involve him killing a bunch of people with Force Magic Missile or something.

I'm getting this tattooed on my forehead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

It certainly makes sense that we're talking about ability levels in anime and role playing games when a far more reasonable analogue would be physical ability, which has innate components which determine rate of improvement and generally dictate a maximum practical ability, but also repeated training.

That's why it makes sense, because it's the Force and the Force is magical bullshit.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

not emptyquoting

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

*Makes force hologram*
*Holds it for 5 minutes*
*Has heart attack*

Well done

I get the "used so much power it killed you" trope but I'm saying that 'make a hologram' should never, ever be involved in that trope.

I mean we always got people sensing each other from galaxies away in the originals and I never thought "Man if he clears up that communication to send them a message, he'll probably die!"

"This space magic trick we've never seen before did not work in the way I wanted it to THAT MAKES NO SENSE"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

quote:

[. . .] Really? loving really?

If he destroyed their whole fleet so the rebels could escape, sure, fine I'm buying it. If he took those AT-ATs and lifted them into the sky like a man throwing rocks, sure, I get what they're doing. But he literally just pulled a Total Recall hologram thing. That's it. If THAT is the Goddamn limits of the loving Force, it's power has been wildly, wildly overestimated.

Username/av check out

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Basebf555 posted:

Or perhaps something like the Mule, from the Foundation series? Someone of tremendous power with no place in the "expected" story, who appears totally at random from very humble circumstances, and who may well not only topple the established power structures, but even take over the galaxy.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Luke is definitely meant to be a strong Jedi. There's a reason the Emperor had a boner for the thought of him as an apprentice. And Vader says several times in ROTJ that Luke is powerful. He's especially impressed at Luke having constructed his own light saber.

I don't know that he's meant to be as strong as Vader at his height but he's definitely a powerful Jedi.

e: Which btw it still bothers me how easily Rey does things. Luke is the son of the most powerful Jedi ever and despite all his training he can't fight that well. Rey has virtually no training and she's a master swordsman(woman?) and can move rocks and poo poo. There's no way she should be able to do the things she does with so little training.

This is because the Force isn't a tool to learn to use. Training is bullshit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tender Bender posted:

He didn't "die from exertion". He exerted himself, finished what he set out to do, and became one with the force. The visual language is incredibly explicit here, there's a reason he doesn't just collapse and die, and instead peacefully stares off into the horizon before fading away.

Saying Luke should have been "shaken out of retirement" misses the point of the character and the film. He's done fighting. His triumph in this movie was inspiring the next generation and giving them the hope and chance they needed to do it themselves. "we are what they grow beyond".

Yeah, Luke, like, achieved nirvana (or, more likely, given that he's bound to turn up in IX, fully embraced his Bodhisattva nature). It's no coincidence that he lost his way, after his compassionate triumph on the Death Star, by turning on his lightsaber

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why is it odd that Rey is so good? Luke is "the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories" and is able to not just not die, but be tremendously effective his very first time in an X-Wing. Immediate hyper-competence is like a thing for Star War characters.

Luke's a good pilot because he was a flyboy back on Tatooine and Rey's a good fighter because she carries a melee weapon with her constantly and is good at using it, which seems to transfer over to using a lightsaber.

Tender Bender posted:

The ability to move people through the air is insignificant next to actually understanding the Force.

Oh jesus, please tell me what "actually understanding" the Force is. Because Rey herself doesn't even understand it until she meets Luke.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Do you? Because I initially was responding very specifically to this part of your post:

Well I am also saying I hope, prey, you are wrong because it's dumb as gently caress if you're right. I'm still not convinced.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It means understanding that you are a tool for the force and not vice versa, the film explicitly states this. Know that you are part of it and not its master. Snoke throws it around like it's a fun superpower and how does that work out for him?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well I am also saying I hope, prey, you are wrong because it's dumb as gently caress if you're right. I'm still not convinced.

What's your opinion on what happened to Obi Wan? Why did he disappear instead of being cut in half by Vader's lightsaber?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Like one guy said this.

Maybe respond to the criticism of the stupid double fakeout they did with the plot.

Who cares about star wars, it's bad on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Like it's not a coincidence that every strong-in-the-force protagonist accomplishes great feats and seems able to perform things that should be impossible for them. It's almost as if they have a strong connection to this intangible presence that binds all things. I can't really understand how you can watch any Star Wars movie and walk away thinking "I see, so the force is basically a skill tree you grind up".

• Locked thread